• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
11days2wsf5.gif

I'm really excited to play as Palutena, but I'll be damned if I didn't wish she looked more like she did in her anime appearances =3

ugoo18

If you want an explanation of why Smash Run isn't online, it's essentially the same reason why most platformers aren't online. Too much happening and too much interaction between the players. The regular matches are far smaller so there isn't much happening in comparison so it isn't that much data to transfer and it reduces the lag greatly. With the number of enemies alone, it makes containing lag difficult across the internet. Local doesn't really have this problem since the distance traveled in a fraction compared to the internet and everyone has the same high quality connection
The replay system making it replicate the match and again too much happening is likely stopping replays. It's likely too taxing to have the mode not spawn things where the camera is.

Pretty sure Nintendo was confident Smash Bros. could stand its own against Destiny. However, if they did that, they would put it right smack up against Hyrule Warriors and Fantasy Life in Europe, eating both those titles alive

Doesn't Smash Run involve a period of each player running around on their own collecting stat boosts before the fighting starts?

As opposed to Mario games (NSMBU for example) where everyone is in the same place running around dealing with the same enemies and power ups while requiring precision platforming all at once for all 4 players on the same screen.

Wouldn't an online Smash Run basically be the stat boost collection part and anything that happens then is unique to each player and then the fighting where the crossover happens?

Zubz

Banned
Apparently English Descriptions for Trophies is out.

Here is one

Pokemon Trainer Trophy's Description

Wait, seriously? That's hilarious, although it's weird that they brought up the anime specifically. Still, has me excited to see what the other trophies say after localization. Any and all references to the DKC cartoon would be amazing, personally.

Wait, seriously? That's hilarious, although it's weird that they brought up the anime specifically. Still, has me excited to see what the other trophies say after localization. Any and all references to the DKC cartoon would be amazing, personally.

AHAHAHA OMG

Given the popularity of that cartoon in Japan, I wonder if that's not all that far-fetched...

Hatchtag

Banned
If you want an explanation of why Smash Run isn't online, it's essentially the same reason why most platformers aren't online. Too much happening and too much interaction between the players. The regular matches are far smaller so there isn't much happening in comparison so it isn't that much data to transfer and it reduces the lag greatly. With the number of enemies alone, it makes containing lag difficult across the internet. Local doesn't really have this problem since the distance traveled in a fraction compared to the internet and everyone has the same high quality connection
The replay system making it replicate the match and again too much happening is likely stopping replays. It's likely too taxing to have the mode not spawn things where the camera is.

Pretty sure Nintendo was confident Smash Bros. could stand its own against Destiny. However, if they did that, they would put it right smack up against Hyrule Warriors and Fantasy Life in Europe, eating both those titles alive

Smash Run's basically a single player game for 5 minutes followed by a multiplayer one. The only multiplayer aspects aside from the match are the events (could easily be determined at the start and not told to the players until they happen, or even if they're not, would be a small thing to send between players) and the constantly updating stats of other players (which I'm not sure you can look at during Smash Run, because I never check. So this would be an easily cut feature). So it really would be easy to make it online.

And I'm sure they care about it competing with Hyrule Warriors, that's why they're quiet likely releasing Smash and Pokemon on the same day this year, and released Mario and Zelda on the same day last year.

Doesn't Smash Run involve a period of each player running around on their own collecting stat boosts before the fighting starts?

As opposed to Mario games (NSMBU for example) where everyone is in the same place running around dealing with the same enemies and power ups while requiring precision platforming all at once for all 4 players on the same screen.

Wouldn't an online Smash Run basically be the stat boost collection part and anything that happens then is unique to each player and then the fighting where the crossover happens?

It's still all in the same map. The enemies and effects would still need to be in sync.

Zubz

Banned
Here's the Lucas description for anyone curious (spoilers just in case):
"Before adventuring, Lucas was a timid, cautious boy. His journey has made him a stronger person. Maybe he met someone to spend his life with... Hang on—we're moving way too fast! For now, remember that Lucas and Ness are favorites in the hearts of EarthBound fans."

I personally prefer the wording of the JP one, but I'll take it.

Ditto. And thanks for the spoiler tag, even if I disregarded it.
I never played Mother 3 despite needing to, but I was under the impression Lucas died or something.

Also, Farfetch'd puns? ... Man after my own heart.

I thought in Smash Run, all the players are on the same map. If I'm wrong then, its a little weird how it isn't online since all it needs is a few bits update of stats and a notification of when a person dies or completes a challenge room though my replay explanation still holds

ffdgh just has good will-power. Look at me - I haven't gotten bothered by the wait for a month now!
Yeah honestly, the demo has really helped me with the wait. Having played for myself, there isn't the anxiousness of "am I going to like it?" mixed in with waiting; I know I like the way it plays, so I can sort of relax and just wait for it to come out.

ugoo18

It's still all in the same map. The enemies and effects would still need to be in sync.

Couldn't it still be in the same map but each map is unique to the player?

Is there any particular reason that the enemies and effects need to be in sync throughout?

Couldn't it create one general map for everyone at the start of the session with the same basic stuff (Enemies and things like that) as a starting layout that then becomes unique to each player depending on what they are doing.

After which when the timer runs out and the fight happens it then crosses over all the stat boosts each player has before then starting the fight like a normal online battle.

I thought in Smash Run, all the players are on the same map. If I'm wrong then, its a little weird how it isn't online since all it needs is a few bits update of stats and a notification of when a person dies or completes a challenge room though my replay explanation still holds

Can players interact on the map?

Hatchtag

Banned
Can players interact on the map?

Nope. Everyone on Smash Run is on their own map. There's events that are shared across maps, but that's it.
Honestly, unless there's behind the scenes features that we can't figure out, there's nothing in Smash Run that'd make it a hard mode to put online, which is why it's frustrating that it isn't.

ugoo18

So to sum up why cut characters are cut:
Ice Climbers - Technical difficulties.
Roy/Pichu/Mewtwo - Copy/pasting from a 13 year old game is hard.
Young Link - Toon Link.
Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur - ???

Sound about right?

I'd imagine that Ivysaur and Squirtle are also due to technical difficulties for the 3DS.

Lucas and Wolf, maybe time constraints?

Nope. Everyone on Smash Run is on their own map. There's events that are shared across maps, but that's it.
Honestly, unless there's behind the scenes features that we can't figure out, there's nothing in Smash Run that'd make it a hard mode to put online, which is why it's frustrating that it isn't.

Hmmm well if the WiiU has a similar mode of sorts i hope it's online at least because there'd definitely be no reason not to have it online if Smash Run is as feasible to have online on the 3DS as it seems.

Hatchtag

Banned
Young Link - Toon Link.

Sound about right?

Roy and Pichu would just probably be based around Smash 4 assets if they were in the game, much like how Doc isn't a port of Melee assets but rather based on Smash 4's. Mewtwo is the only character that could have this issue.
That said, I don't think asset porting would be too hard. They could just tell Project M they wouldn't sue and get Brawl assets for two of the characters :p.
Lucas was time constraints if we believe Gematsu.
Wolf we have no idea.
Squirtle and Ivysaur we can assume got cut because of Charizard.

FSLink

Banned
– serves well as a general enemy
– light processing of movement on 3DS (comes down to the system’s hardware)
– it is possible to create uniqueness for that enemy
– maintaining balance between big or small, weak or strong enemies
– reduction of the relative workload that is required
– comes from a series that is possible to choose

Still hope for Chorus Kids as DLC then? I think it's fairly obvious they were considered at some point, especially with the Gematsu leak.
Trophy description for Chrous Kids btw:
There are few games with as many charming characters as the Rhythm Heaven series. Take those groovy Love Lizards, for example. Birds could learn a thing or two from them. And what about the Chorus Kids? They look adorable with their little bowties, but things get odd when they open their mouths...

Young Link - Toon Link.

Sound about right?

Lucas/Wolf: Likely were lower priority. I theorize that Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit were made when Ice Climbers got cut. Yes, they're clones, but unlike these 3, Lucas/Wolf would require many different A move animations, and they've been rebuilding all the veterans' animations from the ground up.

Squirtle/Ivysaur: Down-B transformations were likely removed due to balancing (different load times between 3DS/Wii U), and these guys were probably lower priority to Charizard.

Crayolan

Young Link - Toon Link.

Sound about right?

Roy, Pichu, and Young Link are still gone because they were clones, and I doubt Sakurai wants to bring them back to make new movesets for them when he has new characters to focus on.

Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut because I guess Sakurai didn't feel they could stand on their own without Pokemon Trainer.

Lucas and Wolf is probably partially cause of time constraints, partially cause they are "unimportant" series (see: Ice Climbers), and partially because they're clones (though less clone-y than the typical clone). If you're wondering why Doc/Lucina/Dark Pit can get in but not those 2, I'm guessing it's cause porting them up from Brawl and updating them for Smash 4 is more work than just recoloring a currently existing character and changing 1-2 moves.

Mewtwo is gone because Sakurai hates me. :(

RomanceDawn

When most people think of Samus, they think of her wearing the Varia Suit. It not only grants her power far beyond her own physical strength but also can unleash a deadly array of beams from the Arm Cannon. And, in a feature quite unique to the Metroid series, it lets her morph into a ball instead of having to crawl!

I wonder...

FSLink

Banned
Thats cool Snake was never in brawl anyway.

It was kind of obvious Snake would have been cut though when he wasn't promoted along side the other 3rd party characters up until release.

He was a guest character after all, I don't think Mortal Kombat fans will be surprised if say Kratos doesn't show up again in the PS4 version of MKX.

Jawmuncher

It was kind of obvious Snake would have been cut though when he wasn't promoted along side the other 3rd party characters up until release.

He was a guest character after all, I don't think Mortal Kombat fans will be surprised if say Kratos doesn't show up again in the PS4 version of MKX.

Still if were talking cut characters he still needs to be on the list regardless of theories.
We would do the same thing for Pac-Man and Megaman in the next smash if they didn't come back.
Also i wouldn't relate him to Kratos in MK since he was included from Sakurai and Kojima being friends. Not to mention Kojima wants to see him in Smash again. Pretty different compared to a console exclusive rep to push sales on one platform over another.

Porsche9146

Neo Member
I wasn't too concerned about Lucas being cut at first, but I've spent the last few days reading about Mother 3, and now I'm realizing that it's a damn shame...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think Lucas and Wolf were just cut because A) they were clones B) they were (at the time) from basically dead series C) the custom movesets could do what they could.

A shame, though, but it doesn't surprise me.

B-but what about Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina? Well, they were from series that had focus between Brawl and 4 (Dr. Mario had a lot of games actually distributed through the various Eshops), and were easier than Wolf or Lucas it seems since they're not as differentiated. But you can bet they're on the cutting block for next time if Kid Icarus doesn't see a new game before then, Fire Emblem goes back into obscurity, and Dr. Mario dies out.

Azure J

First time I'm hearing the Unova medley on the N Castle stage via the SmashStudios stream and man, the Unova games had AMAZING music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom