• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
22221401.jpg

I found it interesting when I'm looking through Vs. Duck Hunt, Duck Hunt, Nintendo Arcade, etc. There are so many cool things that you could learn about Nintendo Arcade history! :)

I wonder if Sakurai's research on Pac Man Arcade actually lead him into Vs. Duck Hunt, Punch Out arcade, etc.

Lunar15

I love hearing impressions for both of these characters. Can you please provide some more detailed impressions, including any animations or details you find cute/cool?

I think the reason characters seem more satisfying in this game than Brawl is the all the effort they put into everyone's animations. Everyone had their animations updated for this game and it makes a huge difference, even on the tiny 3DS screen. It's slight, but adds up. Everything feels way more fluid than Brawl. Ike, for example, hasn't really changed at all in terms of his actual moveset, but all of his animations feel super smooth and they flow really well. It's the little details on each of the characters that make them a blast to play.

Here's some more details, but keep in mind I barely played two matches with either of these guys, so everything is just my initial gut reactions:

Greninja: If you like Sheik, you'll love Greninja. He's fast, sneaky, and fun to pull off combos with. His charge moves are quick and snappy, and all of his animations are set up so that everything flows well into each other. I love fast characters that can dominate the air, and Greninja is that kind of character. Also, all of his water attacks look cool. He's just a slick character.

Bowser Jr. (But really, the Koopalings, but really Roy): I think what blew me away here was the animations again. They're goofy in the right way. It's fun having the koopalings in there, but the Clown Car is what really sells it. All of his attacks are pure cartoon violence, and they feel like that as you're pulling them off. He's quicker than I expected, and you can set some interesting traps with the mecha koopa toys. I think I expected him to be clunkier, but found his moveset surprisingly smooth with some satisfying normals.

As I said before, these are instant gut reactions, so it's more about how the character felt as I was using them rather than the nuts and bolts of their mechanics. I'm not the best person to give that breakdown, and even then, I'd need wayyyyy more time with them. If there's one thing I've learned with my short time with the game, it's that picking a main is going to be SUPER hard. Everyone's a blast so far.

Neiteio

I think the reason characters seem more satisfying in this game than Brawl is the all the effort they put into everyone's animations. Everyone had their animations updated for this game and it makes a huge difference, even on the tiny 3DS screen. It's slight, but adds up. Everything feels way more fluid than Brawl. Ike, for example, hasn't really changed at all in terms of his actual moveset, but all of his animations feel super smooth and they flow really well. It's the little details on each of the characters that make them a blast to play.

Here's some more details, but keep in mind I barely played two matches with either of these guys, so everything is just my initial gut reactions:

Greninja: If you like Sheik, you'll love Greninja. He's fast, sneaky, and fun to pull off combos with. His charge moves are quick and snappy, and all of his animations are set up so that everything flows well into each other. I love fast characters that can dominate the air, and Greninja is that kind of character. Also, all of his water attacks look cool. He's just a slick character.

Bowser Jr. (But really, the Koopalings, but really Roy): I think what blew me away here was the animations again. They're goofy in the right way. It's fun having the koopalings in there, but the Clown Car is what really sells it. All of his attacks are pure cartoon violence, and they feel like that as you're pulling them off. He's quicker than I expected, and you can set some interesting traps with the mecha koopa toys. I think I expected him to be clunkier, but found his moveset surprisingly smooth with some satisfying normals.

As I said before, these are instant gut reactions, so it's more about how the character felt as I was using them rather than the nuts and bolts of their mechanics. I'm not the best person to give that breakdown, and even then, I'd need wayyyyy more time with them. If there's one thing I've learned with my short time with the game, it's that picking a main is going to be SUPER hard. Everyone's a blast so far.
Excellent impressions :)

She's gross. I hate her design. Blech.

I really hate her personality more. It is like the only character she has is being a spoiled brat. To give Peach a compliment, at least she acted cool in the Paper Mario games. I never seen Wendy portrayed as an interesting character.

I really hate her personality more. It is like the only character she has is being a spoiled brat. To give Peach a compliment, at least she acted cool in the Paper Mario games. I never seen Wendy portrayed as an interesting character.

That is why I dislike Bowser Jr. Really obnoxious portrayal.

Lunar15

Excellent impressions :)

The main negative I have so far is what you've already been hearing: It takes forever to kill with a lot of characters. Matches can drag, and I'm not thrilled about that. Once I get used to characters and learn their kill moves it will probably be better, but as it is, there's way too many times where characters are thrown way off the stage only to come back. These times are particularly boring because they're often too far away to punish right away, so it's just a lot of waiting.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the game seems way less aerial than previous smashes. I haven't played enough to comment on why this is, but it could also just be me.

We'll have to see how it pans out, it's way too early to comment on how the metagame will evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom