• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope they go totally crazy with dlc

they could probably pump out stuff like 3DS stages for wii u version and maybe vice-versa for those the 3DS can handle and i'd be all over that shit

Smash 4 Players Will:

1. Accuse Melee players of being elitist or afraid of change.

This will often accompany claims of “it’s just different, not worse”.

There’s a fair case to objectively describe Melee as the best game in the series. From every aspect of competitive game design, Melee is a better game. That does not mean an individual has to prefer Melee as their game of choice, any more than thinking The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars movie means someone can’t do a marathon of the prequels or Clone War cartoons or even A New Hope, because being technically better may not matter to taste.

What a bunch of shit. The game's been out for barely a week and people are already declaring that Melee is OBJECTIVELY better.

Nevermind that it's impossible for something to be "objectively better," seeing how "better" is an inherently subjective concept.

Neiteio

People, you can go wild if you want to but I'm going to set my expectation to no dlc so I wouldn't get disappointed :)

Heck, I'm pleased with current roster so any bonus characters are bonus.
I don't think it'd kill you if you let yourself get excited and experienced some disappointment, lol. :)

emb

I think he's making too big a deal out of the new DI/rage mechanics being bad (they're not that bad, though the ledge trump probably is), but the two lists at the end seem spot on:
Smash 4 Players Will:
1. Accuse Melee players of being elitist or afraid of change.
2. Accuse Melee players of being entitled.
3. Make embarrassingly bad justifications for some of the game’s issues, especially if they are newer players.
4. Make big sweeping posts about future potential that get a lot of attention and upvotes.
5. Accuse Melee players of pessimism.
6. Come out with the “next big thing” magic AT to revolutionize the game every week.
7. Say that the game is too young to judge. This excuse will get stretched out for ages. There will always be more metagame development needed.

Melee Players Will:
1. Get pedantic.
2. Bash on the game in an exaggerated fashion.
3. Start getting territorial.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I'll probably have a roster like this.

EN1f0KSl.png

(。◕‿◕。)

ffdgh

People, you can go wild if you want to but I'm going to set my expectation to no dlc so I wouldn't get disappointed :)

Heck, I'm pleased with current roster so any bonus characters are bonus.

You already got Duck Hunt and Dark Pit. Humor the possibility of DLC lol.

McNum

So this kind of got lost in the connection speed flood, so I'll ask again.

What's the word on Zelda?

If there's one character in all of Smash that I've wanted to get good at, it's Zelda. But since in both Melee and Brawl the advice was "Press Down+B" for her, well, there really wasn't much info on playing Zelda herself. I'm hoping she's at least decent in Smash 4, since her tools are just what I'd like to have in a character. I mean, I could try some Robin, but I'd like to hear if anyone has Zelda impressions.

Cynosure

If there's one character in all of Smash that I've wanted to get good at, it's Zelda. But since in both Melee and Brawl the advice was "Press Down+B" for her, well, there really wasn't much info on playing Zelda herself. I'm hoping she's at least decent in Smash 4, since her tools are just what I'd like to have in a character. I mean, I could try some Robin, but I'd like to hear if anyone has Zelda impressions.

she's top tier now
her up+b is a KO move

I think he's making too big a deal out of the new DI/rage mechanics being bad (they're not that bad, though the ledge trump probably is), but the two lists at the end seem spot on:

the replies here are a justification for the entire list at the end, not just the ones you bolded

Neiteio

We doing these again? Sweet.

ROSTER OF THE GODS

ssb-mainlineup-001uyu3m.png

COLOR/MODEL VARIANTS OF THE GODS

ssb-mainlineup-002u0uxx.png

We have:

- FATHER AND SON: Bowser (one of my Melee/Brawl mains, and fave Mario character) and Bowser Jr. (coolest-looking newcomer!)
- NES ACCESSORIES: Duck Hunt repping the Zapper games, and R.O.B. repping himself and his games. Projectile spam ahoy!
- CIRCA 1980: Mr. Game & Watch (my other Melee/Brawl main) and Pac-Man, a face on the Mt. Rushmore of Gaming
- BIPEDAL ANIMALS: Sonic and Yoshi, both powered-up from their Brawl appearance, looking absolutely fantastic
- POKEYMANZ: Charizard, a delight to play in Brawl, and Greninja, contender for MVP on my X/Y team
- SEXY ANIMES: Palutena, a.k.a. Best Nintendo Female, and Shulk, star of Xenoblade Chronicles, best JRPG ever

Revven

Before this gets out of hand, I should clarify that the author of that editorial opinion piece is a Brawl player and did/does love/like Brawl -- he joined the competitive community through Brawl.

Doesn't make his opinion any more valid but it's only right to have the proper perspective when looking at the article before making assumptions on what type of person the author is. And I believe the article's main point is to avoid repeating history, as in avoid all the vitriol that Brawl got and subsequently Brawl players got back in 2008-2009 from happening again with Smash 4. And to avoid doing that, it requires cooperation from both sides to not make these broad generalizations about each other or absolutist statements about how someone feels or jump to conclusions or make leaps of logic etc etc.

Before this gets out of hand, I should clarify that the author of that editorial opinion piece is a Brawl player and did/does love/like Brawl -- he joined the competitive community through Brawl.

Doesn't make his opinion anymore valid but it's only right to have the proper perspective when looking at the article before making assumptions on what type of person the author is.

It says it right there in the article lmao

also I love this one:
"6. Come out with the “next big thing” magic AT to revolutionize the game every week."

the thirst to get to name things is real, remember tripping in Brawl?

Doesn't make his opinion any more valid but it's only right to have the proper perspective when looking at the article before making assumptions on what type of person the author is.

I read the article and that was mentioned, but thanks for the clarification.

This Nairo guy plays Zelda, if you want to watch some matches.

ffdgh

also I love this one:
"6. Come out with the “next big thing” magic AT to revolutionize the game every week."

Don't hate on the highly technical ink dropping!
That name doesn't even make sense honestly.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I wonder, do most people here play Smash Bros at a competitive level, or at a more casual level? Just asking.

Four players, all items on high, anything but final destination. Come at me GAF.

(It's a balance I would like to think).

emb

also I love this one:

I remember at the E for All demo, Gimpy and friends saw the tripping, assumed you could somehow do it on purpose and cancel it as a movement option, and dubbed it ink blotting (or ink dropping) after one of the guys with them who found it. :lol:

Do we know when the Gamecube controller adapter will be released yet? I also want to buy some Gamecube controller extensions if those will work with it.

georly

I’m reposting this from the DLC topic:

Thanks for sharing.

Also, doing 2 people's custom moves back to back is exhausting. I'm still in the 'photo taking' portion of the write-up, which is so time consuming. I'm taking like 10 shots per custom move so I can pick out the best 1-2 pictures per move. It's exhausting. 12 moves per character, w/ DK/GD = 24 moves to cover, so roughly 240 pictures taken to weed through.

Then, I have to do write ups on each and every one. Joe, you are a trooper.

My process is
1. Create 2 custom versions of the character, one w/ 2222, and one w/ 3333
2. Play w/ each custom version for several 3 stock matches vs lvl 5 cpu to learn the moves
3. Play a 2 minute match w/ default moveset and perform all moves vs a lvl 1 CPU. Record it
4. Play a 2 minute match w/ 2222 moveset and perform all moves vs a lvl 1 CPU. Record it
5. Play a 2 minute match w/ 3333 moveset and perform all moves vs a lvl 1 CPU. Record it
6. Play through each video 1-2 times, taking screenshots of each move.
7. Copy all screenshots to PC for review
8. Pick out the ones that best demonstrate each custom move
9. Upload all of them at once to imgur
10. Paste them onto gaf
11. Do a write up for each move.
12. Wait until post 99 on the page, refresh until we hit next page.
13. hit post.

So time consuming. Much respect to joe.

Revven

I skimmed the article earlier today so I missed the part where the author stated what I already clarified lol.

theprodigy said:
also I love this one:

Don't remind me. Stuff like "craqwalk" and "ink dropping" still haunt me. Let's not forget the still-to-this-day confusion between wavebouncing and B-reversals -- the former of which was coined just out of desperation for a technique similar to wavedashing when it isn't similar at all.

The only "good" names for tech to come out of Brawl were glidetossing, RAR, and DACUS. Everything else I wish was completely renamed as in a lot of ways it shows how immature people were and the desperation in having "fancy" names to show there was advanced tech. in Brawl.

Instead, what players should have been doing is naming the stuff based on what it actually does rather than trying to please the (at the time) Melee diehards that only continued to insult and denounce Brawl regardless of what tech was discovered. That was never the issue for them, the issue was how slow the game was and everything. But the argument became focused on the idea of advanced tech. making the game faster when that was just a false idea and was never going to happen (just like it won't happen with Smash 4 as well).

Beats

Hmm, out of all the streams/events so far I think the TourneyLocator tournaments have had the most exciting matches. Not sure if it's just the playstyles or the level of play seeming higher though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom