• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is the correct thread... but does anyone know what the extra features for the Wii U game will be (if there are any)?

Like, 3DS has Smash Run, so what does Wii U get?

Roo

So with 32 ping, is that really bad for smash? Or is it just noticeable at a high competitive level

You'll be fine.
Any problem you could face in Smash is either going to be on the server/netcode side or on yours opponent's end.
With your current ping (32ms) you would miss around 2-3 frames which are somehow vital for a game like Smash where hits need to be almost pixel perfect.

OceanBlue

IIRC that would be 2 frames of lag, still ok for casual play.

Ping is a measurement of round-trip time, so you have to divide it by 2.

You'll be fine.
Any problem you could face in Smash is either going to be on the server/netcode side or on yours opponent's end.
With your current ping (32ms) you would miss around 2-3 frames which are somehow vital for a game like Smash where hits need to be almost pixel perfect.

Smash probably uses P2P instead of servers.

Durden77

Re: Pingtest, I installed and allowed Java and that made my score an A. That's what the asterisk is for.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131291411&postcount=1017

Tipped Off 10 Smash 4 matches, finals in the first link and other matches in the second.

Also Hbox mentions a charity tournament (Melee), and the finals of that were super fun, had a smile on my face the entire time.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/570938159?t=3h47m15s

Graccciiasss

Where can I find this fabled google doc?

I'll PM it to you

EDIT : Shit, I'm actually having trouble finding it myself. If Oric or someone that knows how to get to the Google doc is around, could you post it?

KHlover

Banned
You'll be fine.

Smash is P2P, no server issues here. Either Netcode or connection.

I doubt he'll actually be getting 32 ping to people <50 miles away with that type of connection anyways.

It's probably just the server because he should be getting significantly lower pings with the types of connection that can actually do such high speeds.

anyone who works at gamestop know when your store will be getting smash bros so I got a rough estimation when I can go to my place and see if I can get it early?

BY2K

Membero Americo
JESUS

You have more internet than all of Canada.

3782416226.png

KHlover

Banned
anyone who works at gamestop know when your store will be getting smash bros so I got a rough estimation when I can go to my place and see if I can get it early?

If you live in Germany I'd recommend bugging your local GameStop each day from Monday-Wednesday. Worked wonderful for MK8, many stores broke street date on Monday or Tuesday and all stores were permitted to sell it Wednesday afternoon when release was officially Friday :3

OceanBlue

Where was it confirmed that smash 4 uses P2P? I know brawl didn't have it.

Eww, if Smash 4 uses servers I'm probably never going to play online lol. Did Brawl use servers just for matchmaking? I thought they took down the servers for Brawl but people could still play PM online or something.

HiroTSK5

Question for the vets-

As a newcomer to the series, is there a good character to learn the ropes with?

My philosophy with smash is pick a character you like and work from there, doesn't mean much from me since I've played Pikachu for 15 years but unless you want to jump right into competitive game-play just pick a character from a franchise you like.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Question for the vets-

As a newcomer to the series, is there a good character to learn the ropes with?

All of them.

Seriously. Play classic mode with basically every character. Maybe a couple times since it's so short in this game. As you play you will find characters you like or don't, and that will give you a place to start. You might find yourself preferring faster characters, powerful characters, characters that are more proficient in the air, whatever. Then you can keep using them and practice with them.

If you live in Germany I'd recommend bugging your local GameStop each day from Monday-Wednesday. Worked wonderful for MK8, many stores broke street date on Monday or Tuesday and all stores were permitted to sell it Wednesday afternoon when release was officially Friday :3

KHlover pls, why are German stores so bad at this
and you people already get it a day early

Lunar15

Not sure how I feel about Robin so far. She/He is tricky to master, but the stun generated by the flame is really nice to combo into. Getting good with Robin comes down to getting good with the smash attacks. They're a bit slower than I'd like, but it makes sense considering how much damage they do. I'm excited to see what people come up with for Robin, but overall I was kind of underwhelmed.

Greenzxy

Eww, if Smash 4 uses servers I'm probably never going to play online lol. Did Brawl use servers just for matchmaking? I thought they took down the servers for Brawl but people could still play PM online or something.

Yea, Brawl had that wi-fi server and Project M uses it's own dedicated server. I'm not sure how it compares to brawl.

nah I live in nyc. you ask the clerks when the shipment arrives they refuse to answer you. the act as if its going to arrive at Oct 2nd @ 11:59pm.

Yeah, Mario is the best out of the starters, but Dr. Mario is overall the all-around fighter IMO.
I think Dr. Mario having some lag on his moves (compared to how SAFE Mario is) and some of the awkward properties he has on his moves (reverse NAir, meteor smash USmash on ground opponents, etc) makes him not a better character than Mario for this. Also having a really terrible recovery and lacking the combo game Mario has (Doc has always been more of a powerhouse instead) might turn off some.

It's not like the tornado is a good offensive move anyway. :V It's really just good for recovery, and that aspect got nerfed here.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Still playing the demo and wondering why damn near every projectile Mega Man can dish out can just outright cancel out with the weirdest moves. I also lol every time I see the AI Link just straight up stand still and block the charged shot with the shield.

I was leaning over getting Smash in physical form, but now I completely changed my mind and will be getting it from the eShop since it can download and finish while I sleep. I'm so impatient.

SoldnerKei

I was leaning over getting Smash in physical form, but now I completely changed my mind and will be getting it from the eShop since it can download and finish while I sleep. I'm so impatient.

tell me about it, I won't even sleep until the download is done, and then I'll stay awake another hour playing it :'D

Kinsei

Banned

I was going to get it digitally for that very reason, but then I realized that if there's a midnight release nearby I can get it an hour earlier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think Dr. Mario having some lag on his moves (compared to how SAFE Mario is) and some of the awkward properties he has on his moves (reverse NAir, meteor smash USmash on ground opponents, etc) makes him not a better character than Mario for this. Also having a really terrible recovery and lacking the combo game Mario has (Doc has always been more of a powerhouse instead) might turn off some.

It's not like the tornado is a good offensive move anyway. :V It's really just good for recovery, and that aspect got nerfed here.

It's mostly pills > fireballs and tornado > FLUDD.

Honestly I'd probably prefer Mario if I could swap in the tornado and go with the fast fire ball custom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom