• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The one thing I realised I hadn't done despite following this game everyday.

Order it.

Well I fixed that now. Can't believe it's just a week till launch.

Clefargle

Apparently other countries are releasing Smash early :(

receipts.gif

surprised you aren't hunting down Bowser Jr. footage right now

I didn't hunt down for Greninja footage though, found it on EventHubs. :p

I've actually been looking at videos like crazy for all the characters this past week. I now have so much to look forward to doing when I get my hands on Smash 4.

Jawmuncher

How are you liking it?

I'm obviously not pad warrior but I have been playing it as well. Its a lot of fun. Though it definitely just is dynasty warriors mixed with Zelda. So how much you like the former will have some bearing on enjoyment. With that said the Zelda setting alone is great and really well done. You can tell the team has a lot of respect for Zelda. So long as you don't absolutely loathe dynasty warriors or aren't burnt out on that games concept I think most people will come to enjoy HW.

I'm obviously not pad warrior but I have been playing it as well. Its a lot of fun. Though it definitely just is dynasty warriors mixed with Zelda. So how much you like the former will have some bearing on enjoyment. With that said the Zelda setting alone is great and really well done. You can tell the team has a lot of respect for Zelda. So long as you don't absolutely loathe dynasty warriors or aren't burnt out on that games concept I think most people will come to enjoy HW.

I like it a lot. Still getting used to it but it's fun.
Cool! I have never played a DW game, but I'm probably going to visit this at some point after my Smash hype dies down.

HiroTSK5

Cool! I have never played a DW game, but I'm probably going to visit this at some point after my Smash hype dies down.

I was surprised how useful the zelda items are in combat. Music's great, Customization is kind of bear but that's how these games are. Unlocking characters is weird.

Auskeek

I'm just messing around with the demo, but what do people think about Mega Man's hard knuckle (down aerial) as a meteor smash?

By far the most satisfying thing to do against the computer players.

Please, they clearly went wild when Samus was shown :D

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but yeah this is why people got excited. If you can remember, Metroid had been dormant for a long time at this point, people were excited to see Samus at all. There were two Smashes with her before she finally got a new game.

StayDead

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but yeah this is why people got excited. If you can remember, Metroid had been dormant for a long time at this point, people were excited to see Samus at all. There were two Smashes with her before she finally got a new game.

It wasn't sarcasm, I just find it hilarious that people claim it's because they showed Ridley.

I'm just messing around with the demo, but what do people think about Mega Man's hard knuckle (down aerial) as a meteor smash?

I really like using it after a running short-hop. It kind of lets you float horizontally and throws people off.

Dr. Buni

It is not as satisfying as dropping a bowling ball in the face of the opponent, but I still love when I can connect it.

They were rooting for Samus. They have the same reaction when Samus gameplay is shown.
Or they were rooting for the clearly playable looking Ridley after seeing playable Peach, Bowser and Ice Climbers presented in the same way. And later cheering in expectation for Samus. That half hearted "woo...?" When Samus' video ends and Pikachu's starts seems to imply that to me

Revven

I'm confused. Do people NEVER EVER want timeouts? That seems super impractical, all fighting games have occasional timeouts. I'd say it would be a problem if it was super frequent - like say early Street Fighter x Tekken was. There have been timeouts but I'm not seeing some sort of epidemic. I'm not opposed to 2-stock rules but I'm not seeing any sort of endemic issue that's forcing such a switch from a spectator perspective.

It's the difference of having to deal with a timeout for 8 minutes vs 5, 6 or less minutes a 2 stock rule set would provide. SFxT timeouts were common and bad but they at most were only 2 minute rounds, Smash traditionally has a higher timer to discourage timer scams (it's much harder to get a timeout with a high timer). But really, this high timer only works for Melee because it's an aggressive game. No one really tries to timer scam except one particular MU: Hbox vs Armada

So the 8 minute timer isn't seen as a negative for that game and it's not possible to change it at this point because of how long Melee has had that rule set. On the other hand, Smash 4 is a brand new game with the opportunity to make the slower MUs much more entertaining by virtue of having 2 stocks and 5/6 minute timer. The time in which you will lose interest (typically 3-4 minutes into an 8 minute game) is already down to 2-3 minutes in a 5-6 minute 2 stock match. Things become more tense if the timer is lower and the stock count is lower -- that tenseness takes much longer to get to in an 8 minute match and often, the pay off isn't worth it (from a spectator POV).

There are legitimate reasons to keep 3 stocks or try to keep working with them but I think 2 stocks is better in the long-run when there's so much on the line for the game to be a successful game to play and watch on streams. No one wants another Brawl where it's 8 minutes of players literally standing there and waiting for someone to make a move (seriously this happens, go watch Apex 2014's GFs and you'll see multiple instances of players standing there and committing to nothing until the other player does something).

Then of course you need to consider the fact that TOs want to run multiple Smash games and having 3 stocks for Smash 4 could slow down the whole tournament itself (well, maybe not the 3DS version but the Wii U one certainly). Or, if Smash 4 3DS is streamed then its Top 8 could take significantly longer than the Top 8 of other Smash games. Having it as 2 stocks prevents that from happening because a Bo3 set at most only takes 10-12 minutes vs the 16 minutes before (excluding the in-between set time for counterpicking and stuff). And that's not including the fact that 2 stocks itself is faster by default because of the number of stocks.

That's why people want 2 stocks and not 3.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Samus with custom moves seems to be the Queen of Zoning. Me want.

Yeah, I watched NinjaLink's video yesterday (and linked it here) and it looked crazy. I feel like she's going to be pretty popular once people start to realize that and take advantage of it.

I hate that he barely went over most of ZSS customs. I don't think he was discussing it with anyone and some of them he just showed once or twice and didn't really do much with.

I'm not kidding when I say this lack of an option puts me over the fence on not wanting to buy the game.

It'd be fantastic otherwise (I grew up gaming with a d-pad, so don't tell me how you don't get double tapping and whatever) .. well.. almost fantastic, were it not for the lack of item frequency options. The hell is the deal with that? Was this just rushed out the door or something?

I'm not kidding when I say this lack of an option puts me over the fence on not wanting to buy the game.

It'd be fantastic otherwise (I grew up gaming with a d-pad, so don't tell me how you don't get double tapping and whatever) .. well.. almost fantastic, were it not for the lack of item frequency options. The hell is the deal with that? Was this just rushed out the door or something?

3DS is very underpowered for the game's demands and already had to make certain concessions to items that do exist (Pokeballs running at 30 FPS and only one on screen), more than likely they didn't want to increase the frequency of items in general and cause frame drops.

Dr. Buni

I am used to play with the d-pad too, though playing with the circle pad isn't that bad. I wish d-pad was an option for sure, locking it as the "taunt button" is just dumb.

Maybe the 3DS can't handle many items at once on the screen. Probably the reason why there can only be 1 pokeball/assist throphy on screen at the same time. Hopefully the WiiU version will have item frequency settings.

What's worse is that they didn't reveal Pac-Man at the E3 tournament this year. It would have blown the roof off the place.
Yea I was extremely surprised they didn't show a new character at the end of that tornument. Instead they show it to the press, man fuck that, you got a new character show it to all of us. It was such a missed opportunity, its something only Nintendo would do too

Revven

Did Brawl even have d-pad options besides the Wiimote on its side? If not, I wouldn't expect it for Wii U either.

It did not, it locked you out from changing the taunt buttons (D-Pad on everything except sideways Wiimote) to anything else but taunts. And we know it's possible for the D-Pad to use the other actions because of modding Brawl and everything (there's a code that let's you change the D-Pad to anything except analogue stick input).

But at that point, on the Wii U, you don't need the D-Pad because the analogue stick is superior to the circle pad. The reason people want a D-Pad is because of how imprecise the circle pad is for movement and other inputs (like recovering). D-Pad would be better for people who just want to play the game's single player stuff and play with friends on the 3DS.

Serrato

Yeah, I watched NinjaLink's video yesterday (and linked it here) and it looked crazy. I feel like she's going to be pretty popular once people start to realize that and take advantage of it.

I mained Samus on Melee. I was dissapointed in her in Brawl. I could still be pretty good with her but I couldn't attain the same level as before so I changed main in Brawl. Maybe it's the return of Samus for me :)

VandalD

So they say midnight release on the eShop. Does that mean midnight EST for NA, or PST? I haven't been around to catch a midnight digital release from Nintendo until now.

Dr. Buni

But at that point, on the Wii U, you don't need the D-Pad because the analogue stick is superior to the circle pad. The reason people want a D-Pad is because of how imprecise the circle pad is for movement and other inputs (like recovering). D-Pad would be better for people who just want to play the game's single player stuff and play with friends on the 3DS.
No, the reason I want d-pad is because I like playing with the d-pad. Also, I think the circle pad is not that bad.

Revven

Also, I think the circle pad is not that bad.

It's definitely inferior to an actual analogue stick, though, is my point. It doesn't have the notches to get the proper angles you want on it, your thumb can slip along it (at least mine does), and improper inputs definitely happen when they shouldn't if you were using a proper analogue stick (such as the differentiation between tilts and smashes, the game recognizing you as jumping with up rather than just Up Bing on the ground when tap jump is on, etc etc). It's way more sensitive to input. These are things that are unlikely to ever be completely gone for this game, no matter how good someone gets with it or adjusts to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom