• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS is very underpowered for the game's demands and already had to make certain concessions to items that do exist (Pokeballs running at 30 FPS and only one on screen), more than likely they didn't want to increase the frequency of items in general and cause frame drops.

Maybe the 3DS can't handle many items at once on the screen. Probably the reason why there can only be 1 pokeball/assist throphy on screen at the same time. Hopefully the WiiU version will have item frequency settings.

You fellas misunderstand me. I want FEWER items than the default.
If the demo is anything to go by, the items fall like rain.. It's tooo much!

I've always liked items, but what they're doing with items in the 3DS version should be the high setting. No item switch required. Just let me reduce the madness!

Did Brawl even have d-pad options besides the Wiimote on its side? If not, I wouldn't expect it for Wii U either.

You're right about Brawl only having D-pad options for wii remote, but here's the thing... The 3DS has the 'awful' circle slider. People are complaining about it. Systems are breaking. I watched some of last night's tournament play and watched semi high level players Self Destructing left and right because of incorrect directional input. Now it's perfectly functional for most games, but it's just not ideal for this one. So I wish they gave the option. If this were a PC game, you could put any function on any input. Nintendo is so archaic when it comes to control options.. and this is their series that gives the most control.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
After playing Hyrule Warriors I want Impa now :(

Problem is that Impa's Hyrule Warrior movesets don't really exists in canon timeline so If we are getting playable Impa then she's more likely to not get Hyrule Warrior moveset.

I don't really mind to see Impa with Hyrule Warrior moveset.

GamerSoul

I'm just happy Impa is playable in a game. When I get a WiiU down the line, I'll probably get HW just for Impa. :3

oh crap you can cape the Bowling ball. lol

Alright, so I haven't had any Internet access whatsoever for the last week. Are there any good videos or just general stuff I've missed since then?

iB5GkEk.jpg

It's a me, Mario! Buy my game!

By1W2U3.jpg

Lady Palutena, I'm afraid that dance you learned in the human world isn't very, uh, Lady-like...

LUHLA1L.jpg

Chair fight!

akT6wbN.jpg

Stop trying to steal my spotlight! This is Wario's time to shine!

ZJmzJfv.jpg

This "Anime Attacks for Dummies" book really paid off!

ocrlw3D.jpg

This is why we fudge the sizes in these games!

oQLVl7y.jpg

I. Need. HATS!

rgotuf5.jpg

An apple a day keeps Dr. Mario away

8mkbnIE.jpg

Didn't read. LOL

rN3jhup.jpg

Luigi, just settle down and take your suppository.

Lunar15

Problem is that Impa's Hyrule Warrior movesets don't really exists in canon timeline so If we are getting playable Impa then she's more likely to not get Hyrule Warrior moveset.

Eh, I don't think a character's moveset needs to be canon. Look at Captain Falcon.

AdaWong

I would LOVE Impa. But considering how Sheik's 8th alt is literally exactly Impa's colors from HW kinda gives me bad feelings. :(

And OMG, those screenshots of the game a perosn just posted were AMAZING. More please lmao!

Hatchtag

Banned
xVxqp8k.jpg

Saw this on twitter. Some people are taking it way too seriously though lol.
My opinions:
-Little Mac is too high. He's good, but he's got a lot of hard counters. I think a big reason people are having success with him is because people aren't very confident in making risky plays yet because it's early in the game, but once they get more confident in those, Little Mac's prevalence will go wayy down.
-I have barely seen any Dark Pit/Pit play, so I have no idea where he should place
-Shulk seems too high to me. Like he's the most glaringly out of place, imo
-Lucina and Villager are too low
-Ganondorf and Link both seem way too low, especially Ganondorf. He should at least be more in the middle.

Personally prefer Skyward Sword Impa design, and 3 ninja characters is no problem in my eyes, but Hyrule Warriors Impa is also really cool

xVxqp8k.jpg

I think it's still several months to early to even begin thinking about making a tier list, but the prospect of Little Mac being among the best characters in the game is admittedly really appealing to me. It's very cathartic in a sense, since so many people were writing him off as garbage before the game even came out.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
http://i.imgur.com/xVxqp8k.jpg
Tier lists mean absolutely nothing right now. Once custom moves become legal and the game is actually released for a couple months can we really get an idea of the tier rankings.

Makai

My opinions:
-Little Mac is too high. He's good, but he's got a lot of hard counters. I think a big reason people are having success with him is because people aren't very confident in making risky plays yet because it's early in the game, but once they get more confident in those, Little Mac's prevalence will go wayy down.
-I have barely seen any Dark Pit/Pit play, so I have no idea where he should place
-Ganondorf and Link both seem way too low, especially Ganondorf. He should at least be more in the middle.
It seems totally off to me, aside from Sheik and ZSS.

Hatchtag

Banned
I think it's still several months to early to even begin thinking about making a tier list, but the prospect of Little Mac being among the best characters in the game is admittedly really appealing to me. It's very cathartic in a sense, since so many people were writing him off as garbage before the game even came out.

Little Mac isn't gonna be up with the best I think, and I say this as a Mac main who's played 430 matches or so with Mac.

Tier lists mean absolutely nothing right now. Once custom moves become legal and the game is actually released for a couple months can we really get an idea of the tier rankings.

Custom moves being legal flip this tier list on its head. Ganondorf and Fox would jump several tiers if they became legal. IMO, most the characters at the top of this tier list have pretty shitty customs, while some of the lower ones have OP as hell ones.

Little Mac isn't gonna be up with the best I think, and I say this as a Mac main who's played 430 matches or so with Mac.

Custom moves being legal flip this tier list on its head. Ganondorf and Fox would jump several tiers if they became legal. IMO, most the characters at the top of this tier list have pretty shitty customs, while some of the lower ones have OP as hell ones.

Wait, customs aren't legal?

xVxqp8k.jpg

My opinions:
While this is total nonsense, I would love some gameplay that makes Bowser look S tier. Anyone have a video?

I know that this will probably be the case once all is said and done, but I'm still gonna main him regardless. 95% of my fighting game mains have been low-tier, and yet I've always managed to make them work.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I dislike early tier list discussing but I would like to note that Duck Hunt isn't top tier material.

Yes, he's very good with zoning but his gameplay would get weaker once people know how to counter the zoning characters. I can't really judge his normal attacks very well but I can't wait to give him a try :)

xVxqp8k.jpg

My opinions:

Yeah it's way too early for a tier list or to even correct such a tier list. We've yet to see if campy characters' will eventually be "figured out" or only get better, we don't know what matchups Little Mac dominates and gets dominated in, a lot of characters are being slept on due to very few actually having the game, and so on.

Hatchtag

Banned
At least 2000 Wii U copies confirmed.

I am serious about wanting good Bowser gameplay.

Tournaments with customs off is moronic.

Not really, I do feel there should be two seperate rulesets. Customs really do seem broken for a lot of characters, and the amount of moves you have to prepare for with them requires a lot more practice. So I'd really think it'd be more fun to have two rulesets than just one, all-encompassing ruleset. Like, my playstyle really changes depending on if I'm playing customs or non-customs, and I have a lot of fun with both of them. So I'd rather we just get both than just get one of them.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, I'm going to be pretty upset if custom moves aren't tournament legal.

Not really, I do feel there should be two seperate rulesets. Customs really do seem broken for a lot of characters, and the amount of moves you have to prepare for with them requires a lot more practice. So I'd really think it'd be more fun to have two rulesets than just one, all-encompassing ruleset. Like, my playstyle really changes depending on if I'm playing customs or non-customs, and I have a lot of fun with both of them. So I'd rather we just get both than just get one of them.

Well, I think tournament hosts and good players should get together and discuss which custom moves should be legit or not, then come up with a ban list of custom movesets that shouldn't be used only based on how strong (or broken) those moves are.

Preparing for a variety of circumstances cant be an argument when games like MvC3 and Skullgirls exist. Yeah, a lot of characters get amazing customs. That is the point.

Well, I think tournament hosts and good players should get together and discuss which custom moves should be legit or not, then come up with a ban list of custom movesets that shouldn't be used only based on how strong (or broken) those moves are.
This is a hilariously bad suggestion. Banlists for moves!

J@hranimo

Banned
At least 2000 Wii U copies confirmed.

I am serious about wanting good Bowser gameplay.

Tournaments with customs off is moronic.

Yeah! It would be a HUGE missed opportunity to not have customs available for tourney.

Also, finally got to play some friends in the demo. So much fun :) Link is good guys, I won two games with him.

Azure J

Oh lord, the moment we start talking ban lists is the moment that everything goes sour.

Or they were rooting for the clearly playable looking Ridley after seeing playable Peach, Bowser and Ice Climbers presented in the same way. And later cheering in expectation for Samus. That half hearted "woo...?" When Samus' video ends and Pikachu's starts seems to imply that to me

No.

It had been SEVEN years since Samus had been playable in her last game. Fans were STARVED for anything Metroid and seeing her in a brand new medium with spanking new graphics of course drew cheers. And why do you expect them to cheer after the initial reveal (which they did anyways?)

I remember E3 2001 and aside from a few "okay so Ridley might be playable, cool..." moments, nobody made much noise about him. I don't understand where this whole grass-roots, revisionist campaign claiming he's one of the most integral character reps to be overlooked came from.

Not gonna happen. Smash Community isn't like Smogon, they don't really care to actually balance the game through enforcing rule sets, you either have them all or you don't. Based on the overwhelming positive reaction to custom moves they're more than likely going to be used in future tournaments.

Preparing for a variety of circumstances cant be an argument when games like MvC3 and Skullgirls exist. Yeah, a lot of characters get amazing customs. That is the point.

You're forgetting the biggest thing. You can use those moves right away. All the customs need to be unlocked for Smash and you aren't guaranteed to get them all because of duplicates.

Then the fact that it's not part of the main game. Not very much people will have experience with must of this stuff, since they would never get the chance because lack of friends, or the fact that you can't use them in For Fun/For Glory.

It's a lot more difficult.

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah it's way too early for a tier list or to even correct such a tier list. We've yet to see if campy characters' will eventually be "figured out" or only get better, we don't know what matchups Little Mac dominates and gets dominated in, a lot of characters are being slept on due to very few actually having the game, and so on.

the best counter to Little Mac I've seen so far is Sheik. Then again, Sheik is the best counter to every character

dunno, I think it's preferable to just outright banning all custom moves

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Do you have any better suggestion? From what I see, there are few custom moves that seem to be too strong on it's own, so I have a feeling that people in Smash Community might not be compromising on custom move itself.

Oh lord, the moment we start talking ban lists is the moment that everything goes sour.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that it would go sour. I can't really see people would willing to agree on custom moves.

Not gonna happen. Smash Community isn't like Smogon, they don't really care to actually balance the game through enforcing rule sets, you either have them all or you don't. Based on the overwhelming positive reaction to custom moves they're more than likely going to be used in future tournaments.

Didn't see your quote since you removed my username out of quote for some reason.

I understand your point however where did you see "overwhelming" positive reactions because I have seen a lot of mixed feeling about custom moves. I would like to see your citation on that.

I'm not saying that they would do ban list on moves. Heck, they have banned characters and stages so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go forward with ban moves as well.

Zomba13

Is Shiek good again? I loved her in Melee but in Brawl she just felt off, like, weaker and not as good at finishing guys off. Would be awesome to be able to go back to Shiek and actually have her be good even though she looses the whip (thanks again 3DS limitations. Can't handle the twirlytwirlwhippitysnap :( )

Molemitts

Is Shiek good again? I loved her in Melee but in Brawl she just felt off, like, weaker and not as good at finishing guys off. Would be awesome to be able to go back to Shiek and actually have her be good even though she looses the whip (thanks again 3DS limitations. Can't handle the twirlytwirlwhippitysnap :( )

Most people are saying Sheik is top-tier.

jorgejjvr

xVxqp8k.jpg

My opinions:
LOL at Olimar in the bottom, I'll take any of you down with him :p

Sheik is looking like she is one of the top percent strongest characters already.

You're forgetting the biggest thing. You can use those moves right away. All the customs need to be unlocked for Smash and you aren't guaranteed to get them all because of duplicates.

Then the fact that it's not part of the main game. Not very much people will have experience with must of this stuff, since they would never get the chance because lack of friends, or the fact that you can't use them in For Fun/For Glory.

It's a lot more difficult.
I didn't forget anything. Games have unlockables. It sucks, but you need to grind them out. Plus, you only need the custom moves for your character unlocked on your 3DS. It isn't like that is some big task. If I play Palutena in tournaments, I will unlock her moves in an hour or two and be done with it.

When the Wii U version comes out, you will be able to unlock custom moves by connecting your 3DS.

Do you have any better suggestion? From what I see, there are few custom moves that seem to be too strong on it's own, so I have a feeling that people in Smash Community might not be compromising on custom move itself.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that it would go sour. I can't really see people would willing to agree on custom moves.
My suggestion is that you stop pretending to understand what makes something ban-worthy and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom