• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't forget anything. Games have unlockables. It sucks, but you need to grind them out. Plus, you only need the custom moves for your character unlocked on your 3DS. It isn't like that is some big task. If I play Palutena in tournaments, I will unlock her moves in an hour or two and be done with it.

When the Wii U version comes out, you will be able to unlock custom moves by connecting your 3DS.

I didn't really mean of you forgetting, more of just mentioning. Yes, games have unlockables.. But there's 48 characters that need to have moves unlocked. (Palutena/Mii Fighters have all their moves from the start) What are the chances you get your character? Especially when you get them randomly, and again, you can get duplicates.

Assuming that all tournament players bought the 3DS version, then yeah, that would make things a lot more easier.

You're right about Brawl only having D-pad options for wii remote, but here's the thing... The 3DS has the 'awful' circle slider. People are complaining about it. Systems are breaking. I watched some of last night's tournament play and watched semi high level players Self Destructing left and right because of incorrect directional input. Now it's perfectly functional for most games, but it's just not ideal for this one. So I wish they gave the option. If this were a PC game, you could put any function on any input. Nintendo is so archaic when it comes to control options.. and this is their series that gives the most control.

The circle pad is entirely functional for Smash. Guaranteed a hell of a lot more functional than a goddang d-pad for Smash, lmao. It's just different. I've gotten used to it, the key is to lift your thumb off the damn pad to reset it to neutral after smashes/tilts/movement etc

My little brother's 3DS XL Circle Pad broke from just the Smash demo. My fault, too. I was gonna replace it for him but lo and behold three days later I check out his 3DS XL and the circle pad is BETTER THAN NEW. Turns out he had a spare OG Circle Pad Pro attachment and as luck would have it the modules are the exact same. So he just switched them out, and it feels awesome.

I don't think anyone has found any broken custom moves yet. Like, Meta Knight broken

Good question!

I have no idea.

We haven't found anything like that yet. I'd really like it if custom moves are in since it adds a big part to Smash 4 and gives it its own flavor.
Yeah, outside of the Yoshi jump glitch, I haven't heard of any moves that are just obviously broken. Seems like a lot of people are just writing them off too soon, though I may be reading that wrong if there are some actual crazy moves.

I didn't really mean of you forgetting, more of just mentioning. Yes, games have unlockables.. But there's 48 characters that need to have moves unlocked. (Palutena/Mii Fighters have all their moves from the start) What are the chances you get your character? Especially when you get them randomly, and again, you can get duplicates.

Assuming that all tournament players bought the 3DS version, then yeah, that would make things a lot more easier.
JoeInky says that custom move unlocks are more likely to be for the character you are using. He is able to complete several characters per day by targetting them specifically. Unlocking the moves for your handful of intended tournament characters seems very doable. Plus, NinjaLink on YouTube has unlocked all of the custom moves already and created videos for them.

I assume all of our tournament discussion is about the 3DS, since we don't even know how the Wii U will unlock custom moves.

Yeah, outside of the Yoshi jump glitch, I haven't heard of any moves that are just obviously broken. Seems like a lot of people are just writing them off too soon, though I may be reading that wrong if there are some actual crazy moves.
At most, it looks like there are a few custom moves with no real purpose, like one of Jigglypuff's Sing alternates. That is unfortunate, but not an actual problem. Looking at Bowser's customs, I cant decide what I want. He has a ton of great options, including his default moves.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why do you think I am upset? Calling stupidity what it is doesn't mean I am angry.

I'm not saying that you are upset. I'm telling you to chill out with your "almighty" opinions about fighting communities, along making an assumptions about other people's knowledge and opinions because they just want to share their terrible or bad ideas.

For your information, I'm fully aware how the ban lists work. Pardon me for sharing the bad ideas on the internet that actually offended other people because I don't know why so I guess people can't handle bad ideas.

Out of curiosity, what are the custom moves people are worried about?

i'm sure that certain combination will end up a bit overpowered but just as we can't really judge characters ATM, we can't really say yet.
I'm not a huge fan of customisation, i like all characters to be vanilla.

Lunar15

I haven't come across any broken customs yet. Honestly, a lot of them are pretty underwhelming. It's still a neat concept though. Adds some variety.

I'm not saying that you are upset. I'm telling you to chill out with your "almighty" opinions about fighting communities, along making an assumptions about other people's knowledge and opinions because they just want to share their terrible or bad ideas.
If someone wants to share a terrible idea, I think that person should prepare to be told it is terrible. You need to get over some weird idea you have that you are some kind of junior moderator in these threads. It has been tiresome since you started.

StayDead

I'm not sure that anything's been hugely broken yet but I know there are some moves that just seem flat out better than the regular move, like Mario's gust cape.

So what's the problem with using them if everyone can get them? I mean everyone keeps wanting a tier list, which means they can pick from the objective best characters and just play them, shouldn't we want to use the objective best moves too? (outside of maybe equipment)

Azure J

That's really all it sounds like to me currently. We've seen them all at this point and nothing has shown itself to either swing momentum too wildly in one direction (in theory and some practicality) or literally break the game (Yoshi stuff notwithstanding). What's more, the large majority of tournament organizers are increasingly trending to "allowing" them (most are very enthusiastic about them), so it's really weird seeing people feel hesitant to accept that they've been OK'd even for a trial run.

So what's the problem with using them if everyone can get them? I mean everyone keeps wanting a tier list, which means they can pick from the objective best characters and just play them, shouldn't we want to use the objective best moves too? (outside of maybe equipment)

u wanna play mate?

It's just 6 more days until the release of Smash 4 for the world! I can't wait. I just want to go against a bunch of you already.

JoeInky says that custom move unlocks are more likely to be for the character you are using. He is able to complete several characters per day by targetting them specifically. Unlocking the moves for your handful of intended tournament characters seems very doable. Plus, NinjaLink on YouTube has unlocked all of the custom moves already and created videos for them.

I assume all of our tournament discussion is about the 3DS, since we don't even know how the Wii U will unlock custom moves.

Ahh, well that would certainly be a lot more helpful then. If that's the case then that should make things a lot more easier, instead of constantly getting others all the time.

Of course, but I also say it's for the general discussion as well since the Wii U ver. will have the customs too.

I just realized something. Suck for all the importers, since they won't be able to transfer stuff to their Wii U. Unless of course, they have imported Wii U.

Tan

But that makes them seem more viable to me (and not just cause Mario my main :p). I was watching Samus' custom moves and her's make her way more interesting and seemingly dangerous.

Didn't say there was any problem with it. Just a reminder that Sakurai said they didn't really spend time balancing custom moves. But... well... that's probably not a problem either.

It's just 6 more days until the release of Smash 4 for the world! I can't wait. I just want to go against a bunch of you already.

Ahh, well that would certainly be a lot more helpful then. If that's the case then that should make things a lot more easier, instead of constantly getting others all the time.

Of course, but I also say it's for the general discussion as well since the Wii U ver. will have the customs too.

I just realized something. Suck for all the importers, since they won't be able to transfer stuff to their Wii U. Unless of course, they have imported Wii U.
Can JP 3DSes not interact at all with US Wii Us?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If someone wants to share a terrible idea, I think that person should prepare to be told it is terrible. You need to get over some weird idea you have that you are some kind of junior moderator in these threads. It has been tiresome since you started.

Well, I'm fine with people telling me that it's terrible ideas but the way you put it is just rude.

I never considered myself as junior moderator or anything. I found it very interesting that I'm trying to express my feeling to you, then I just got labelled as junior moderator. What a riot. I never have any weird idea about myself being junior moderator. Heck, I'm not interested to become moderators on any forums.

I'm done with this discussion because I'm not going to argue with you over this subject anymore. We just have two different opinions on how to respect other people over the Internet.

Golnei

By1W2U3.jpg

Lady Palutena, I'm afraid that dance you learned in the human world isn't very, uh, Lady-like...

It was never the province of humanity - like fire, poledancing was stolen from the gods and placed in the hands of unworthy mortals.

tumblr_nc2h60hhVR1ra1vfao1_500.gif

tumblr_nc2h60hhVR1ra1vfao2_500.gif

tumblr_nc2h60hhVR1ra1vfao3_500.gif

Didn't say there was any problem with it. Just a reminder that Sakurai said they didn't really spend time balancing custom moves. But... well... that's probably not a problem either.
Oh yeah, I didn't take it as you disagreeing. I just meant that's even more reason to like it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yep, that's what I recalled. That's why I'm concerned with smash community and their stance with custom movesets. For the record, I'm perfectly fine with tournament allowing custom movesets.

SmithnCo

I can definitely agree with Sheik being great, I also didn't like her previously but she's really fun in this one, her new specials help.

Yep, that's what I recalled. That's why I'm concerned with smash community and their stance with custom movesets. For the record, I'm perfectly fine with tournament allowing custom movesets.

If you're fine with tournaments allowing it then I don't see the problem. For Glory already bans custom moves and in casual play, players can partake in a gentlemen's agreement to use them or not.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm just going to type up my thoughts on custom moves: they're fun. But they're also often times horribly, horribly broken (see: Ganondorf, Fox) and aren't well distributed or balanced. They're also tedious to unlock, so it'd take a shit ton of time to unlock all of them and practice with them. Sure, you can just unlock a few for your characters you like, but that'd be highly limitting your options. But, again, it's not just that. It's how unabalanced they can be. They can often be very unfun to play against.
Basically, I think the bottom line is, some people might not find custom moves fun to play with, so I think it's a perfectly fair proposition to have multiple tourneys and tier lists for both rule sets.

You're being very rude, and I think your idea that custom moves should always be on is absolutely horrendous and one of the worst ideas I've heard in this thread. It's on the same level of saying that Brawl tourneys should not exist because Project M exists.

I'm just going to type up my thoughts on custom moves: they're fun. But they're also often times horribly, horribly broken (see: Ganondorf, Fox) and aren't well distributed or balanced. They're also tedious to unlock, so it'd take a shit ton of time to unlock all of them and practice with them. Sure, you can just unlock a few for your characters you like, but that'd be highly limitting your options. But, again, it's not just that. It's how unabalanced they can be. They can often be very unfun to play against.
Basically, I think the bottom line is, some people might not find custom moves fun to play with, so I think it's a perfectly fair proposition to have multiple tourneys and tier lists for both.
Can you elaborate on Fox and Ganondorf's being too strong? I haven't heard anyone else mention it.

Hatchtag

Banned
Can you elaborate on Fox and Ganondorf's being too strong? I haven't heard anyone else mention it.

Ganondorf and Fox have one I'm labelling "Drill Customs" because several characters seem to have them. Basically, they eat through shields and attacks due to being multihit, and are really, really damn good (just ask Makai). In addition, almost all of Ganondorf's customs are significantly better than his normal special moves (his neutral b has great range, he can make his Up B useful again, and he can get much better down Bs).
As for why people aren't really mentioning how broken customs can be, it's because there haven't been many events with customs allowed yet. I think we'll hear these types of compalints more once they become more common.

Ganondorf has this multihit side B that is high priority. Eats through shields and most attacks.
But does one move break a character? From what I've been reading, Ganondorf can use a little help.

EDIT: Haha, I know meta knight is the obvious counterpoint. I guess I mean, does it necessarily mean it's OPs the whole character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom