• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked and... I have 12 hours logged on the demo. Jeez, the thirst for Smash Bros. is real...

I've been playing a mixture of the characters, they're all so much fun! Pika is my demo-main though, because Smash 4 Pika is amazing.

Just checked and... I have 12 hours logged on the demo. Jeez, the thirst for Smash Bros. is real...

I've been playing a mixture of the characters, they're all so much fun! Pika is my demo-main though, because Smash 4 Pika is amazing.

I've logged 7 hours so far.

I've been pretty much exclusively using Mega Man. As much as everybody else has Villager hype, I'm not particularly interested in him or his playstyle. Mega Man, on the other hand, I love even though he's really tricky. But connecting with the Hard Knuckle or Mega Upper into a KO is so satisfying.

Can't wait, it's almost here in my possession!

Golnei

All the demo characters feel great to use, but I gravitated more towards Link (seeing him be at least mediocre is so refreshing) and Villager. Also, some of the palette swaps complemented certain items really well for some reason - Crash Bomber Megaman with the ray gun, violet Link with the Super Leaf, and bubbly soapy fresh Mario with the jetpack.

Ryce

Villager fits in so organically that Sakurai's initial concerns seem dubious in retrospect. Not a single attack feels out of place.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Think I'll go digital with this. Hopefully Nintendo is preparing for an onslaught on their servers.

Pokémon was pretty bad right around 12:10, but if you got in there first you were good to go, or if you waited until 12:45. Make sure you got the money you need on there beforehand and keep refreshing like a maniac and you'll get it just fine.

I had to stop playing the demo cause I just don't want to get even a tiny bit burned out by this.

Only 5 more days...
Yeah, same here. I'm tempted to play it a ton to get my Mario as good as it can be, but I don't want to just keeping fighting the same 4 characters and get burned out.

ffdgh

Mario defiantly got the most play time with link and megaman being 2nd/3rd. Didn't really use Pikachu and Villager too much.

I normally go for bizarre and quirky characters (I main Wario lmao) but Villager just wasn't fun for me at all. He feels really slow.

I like his ftilt tho. Umbrella stopping projectiles all day.

As much as I love Villager, he's very hard to use.

Villager's an interesting character. He's lacking in kill moves - the only real reliable ones are Timber, which requires a bit of setup and trickery (although CPUs, even lv 9s, tend to blunder right into it,) and his forward smash, which has very little range. His down air kills when it has three turnips, but that's all a matter of luck. None of his other moves KO until very high percentages. On top of that, his smash attacks aren't the best: both his up and smashes are very weak and hard to hit with, although they do allow for a bit of juggling. His grab also isn't so hot: it's very slow and short-ranged. Miss a grab, and you're almost guaranteed to get punished.

On the other hand, all of his tilts are godly. They come out super quick and can be strung together to really rack up the damage; his down tilt has a deceptively large range and a fair bit of knockback; and his up tilt hits twice. His dash attack is also fantastic, especially because it's a bit of a projectile. The Lloid Rocket is good for attacking, for stage control, for recovery, and for escape. The Pocket is great against anyone with projectiles (you can snag Megaman's forward smash and send it back before the Megaman's endlag is through) and nearly OP when items are on (at low percents, pocket big healing items and pull them out later when you need them!)

Finally, his amazing recovery means he's probably the best out of anyone in the demo at chasing people offstage and getting back to safety.

TL;DR playing against the lv 9s in the demo, I've found that the best way to use Villager is to stay close to your opponent and pound on them with tilts and quick forward smashes, and chase them relentlessly when they go offstage. When you're farther away, start launching Lloid Rockets and doing dash attacks. And whenever you have a free moment, drop a sapling - it's always nice to have a tree onstage.

Well remember when I said I was enjoying Hyrule Warriors? I lied. This game is pretty confusing. It doesn't explain things well like upgrading and fusing weapons and the whole game feels like you need to rush through it before your allies get trashed.

Villager fits in so organically that Sakurai's initial concerns seem dubious in retrospect. Not a single attack feels out of place.

100% agree. He's even got the skidding sound effect from AC when you stop dashing, and actual furniture in his FS. All the little details are there.

Fandangox

Well remember when I said I was enjoying Hyrule Warriors? I lied. This game is pretty confusing. It doesn't explain things well like upgrading and fusing weapons and the whole game feels like you need to rush through it before your allies get trashed.

The game explains every single thing.to you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Villager is incredible at just messing with people off stage. Dashing attack to send a pot diagonally off the edge, bowling ball for straight down, lloyd rocket to just toss one horizontally, tree to block the edge(or if you have enough time, chopping the tree over the edge for maximum lol).

I really liked playing him way more than I expected. I also like mega man a lot, but some of the design that went into him is really odd. I can barely tell how to properly play him since most of his zoning tools just don't go very far, and the priority on them just seem awful. I've seen them just clash with the weirdest stuff, even his charged side smash.

Crocodile

JoeInky is sick? Well get better dude! Thanks for all your hard work on the custom movesets. Thanks to georly of course too:)

It's the difference of having to deal with a timeout for 8 minutes vs 5, 6 or less minutes a 2 stock rule set would provide. SFxT timeouts were common and bad but they at most were only 2 minute rounds, Smash traditionally has a higher timer to discourage timer scams (it's much harder to get a timeout with a high timer). But really, this high timer only works for Melee because it's an aggressive game. No one really tries to timer scam except one particular MU: Hbox vs Armada

So the 8 minute timer isn't seen as a negative for that game and it's not possible to change it at this point because of how long Melee has had that rule set. On the other hand, Smash 4 is a brand new game with the opportunity to make the slower MUs much more entertaining by virtue of having 2 stocks and 5/6 minute timer. The time in which you will lose interest (typically 3-4 minutes into an 8 minute game) is already down to 2-3 minutes in a 5-6 minute 2 stock match. Things become more tense if the timer is lower and the stock count is lower -- that tenseness takes much longer to get to in an 8 minute match and often, the pay off isn't worth it (from a spectator POV).

There are legitimate reasons to keep 3 stocks or try to keep working with them but I think 2 stocks is better in the long-run when there's so much on the line for the game to be a successful game to play and watch on streams. No one wants another Brawl where it's 8 minutes of players literally standing there and waiting for someone to make a move (seriously this happens, go watch Apex 2014's GFs and you'll see multiple instances of players standing there and committing to nothing until the other player does something).

Then of course you need to consider the fact that TOs want to run multiple Smash games and having 3 stocks for Smash 4 could slow down the whole tournament itself (well, maybe not the 3DS version but the Wii U one certainly). Or, if Smash 4 3DS is streamed then its Top 8 could take significantly longer than the Top 8 of other Smash games. Having it as 2 stocks prevents that from happening because a Bo3 set at most only takes 10-12 minutes vs the 16 minutes before (excluding the in-between set time for counterpicking and stuff). And that's not including the fact that 2 stocks itself is faster by default because of the number of stocks.

That's why people want 2 stocks and not 3.

From a "we have a 100-200 man bracket and need to end this tournament before midnight" perspective I can understand (though you could then argue that all Smash games should have shorter time limits and fewer stocks since even Melee tends to have longer matches than most other fighting games). However, that's not the vantage point that it seemed people were arguing from. It seemed to be from a "It's been 4 minutes or so and the match isn't over, I'M BORED!" which I disagreed with. As if the mere concept of the occasional time out was problematic. All that being said, I respect you points and I hope the community can find the settings that maximize fun for as many people as possible :)

So does anyone have a character they particularly dislike playing. I dislike playing Marth and spacies though oddly enough I like Wolf despite the latter's similarities. I'm probably going to dislike playing as Megaman with the time I've played with him

Blizzard

Banned
I got to play local multiplayer for the first time today, since someone else had a 3DS.

It seemed to run well with no lag, except when I tried walking into another room. It was at a LAN party where you'd expect lots of interference so at least sitting near them worked fine.

I still want the NA version to come out. Can't play Bayonetta 2, can't play Hyrule Warriors even with an Amazon Prime preorder, these NA delays and shipping are killing me. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Really interested to see if they change up Falco and Ike's lines for the US Version...

I mean, Falco should have his 643D voice like Fox, right? And I can see them changing Ike since he's gotten a visual change.

Masked Man

I said wow
So excited to finally get to play with the rest of you in less than a week! :D

the best counter to Little Mac I've seen so far is Sheik. Then again, Sheik is the best counter to every character

I just tore through a Sheik yesterday as Palutena, so it's hard to say. Then again, that may just be a testament to how awesome my goddess is. <3

Losing Lucas doesn't hurt as bad now that Shiek is back :D

Speak for yourself. ;____;

Yeah, my biggest issue is that it gives you these warning messages about a base that's about to fall or a comrade who's in danger, whereas in actuality you've already saved said fortress or ally. Regardless of whether an objective has been completed or not, the game still displays those alerts in the order they arise, and that can be quite confusing.

Me: "Oooh, Impa looks like she needs a hand. *helps Impa*"
Impa: "Thanks, you rule, love you <3"
(two seconds later)
"IMPA IS IN TROUBLE!"
Me: "Wait, but I just...?"
(three seconds later)
"IMPA HAS BEEN SAVED!"
Me: "..."

After finally going through all 51 of NinjaLink's videos for the custom moves, I definitely feel that they should be tournament-legal. None of them feel broken or overpowered since they are all balanced against each other.

For example, you wanna give Bowser good vertical recovery? Then you sacrifice his out-of-shield up-B option. How about an arrow projectile for Link that can kill? Then you make it so that it's useless unless fully charged.

Not to mention that it severely buffs the characters that have bad default movesets, like Samus and Palutena.

NinjaLink also made the point that it's basically equivalent to choosing your ultra in SFIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom