• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Aww yeah Horizon wins by default. The best kind of win.
http://i.imgur.com/9U0RWzl.jpg[IMG]

I'll change my avatar to that Lucina tomorrow-ish. I'm on my ipad and don't know how to resize it :/
Unless someone can help me with that.[/QUOTE]

We mustn't keep a lady waiting

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/lucinaf4qah.png

edit: fixed

The goods just keep coming!

798.png

That's really good lol.

Village

Wow, dude, you need to calm down.

I am calm, I just used expletives.

I don't think that's shit game design at all. It rewards the player for playing the game more, and it allows them to get accustomed to characters at a more gradual pace. It might mess up tourneys...except copying saves is a thing. So it doesn't.

You know what allows me, to get used to the characters, being able to play as all the characters FROM THE START.

You wanna know what gets me to play your game more, costumes, extra's shit like that. Having to play through your game , so I can unlock the full basic function of your game, is stupid.

This may not be the popular opinion, but I'm personally hoping for unlockable characters. One of my favorite things about Sakurai's games, and especially Smash, is the rush you get from unlocking thing after thing, whether it be characters, stages, songs, trophies, etc. I just LOVE that feeling.

And unlockable characters takes that feeling to a whole new level for me - there's just a very visceral satisfaction or pleasure I get from seeing a new square added to the character selection screen and slowly filling it up.

I do understand the arguments against having characters be unlockable, definitely, and I think there's merit to them. I'd just prefer to have them unlockable.

....what rumors

which rumour?

I dunno, I think the came from GameFAQs or something. Two separate rumors, both claiming Wario would be "revealed by the end of next week." (So, this week.)

If Wario gets revealed this week (or any veteran reveal for that matter), I will be expecting a veteran reveal a week. Two newcomers and two veterans in one week? That can only mean the reveal train is in full swing.

That's how I'd feel too. It won't happen, but it'd be exciting if it did!

Vyse24

Naw, I'm saying Tekken 6 and Tag 2 was the first two without hidden characters. :p

Wasn't Unknown hidden in Tag 2?

As far as unlockable characters go, the practice started getting phased out once online play became the norm. I'm hoping that Smash doesn't go that route, but with them getting into the whole tourney deal, it may just end up that way.

Blues1990

With all the characters that have been revealed (so far, at this rate), I'm interested to see which Smash Bros. character is related to a character in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga. Especially Mega Man, who I'm a bit stumped with finding a character that closely resembles him.

jojo11op.jpg

Jaeger

"Because it's Smash Bros" is a depressingly common excuse in this thread.

I don't know about any other's use for that sentence. However it is a valid and factual statement which specifically tells the precedent set by all three games.

Or are we just being argumentative to be argumentative? That time of the Smash Bros. Thread Cycle?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Make it so that you have to fight the characters in their alternate costumes to unlock those, but leave all those characters available from the start.

Mik317

I don't mind unlocking as long as it isn't PLAY THIS MODE A GAZILLION TIMES LOLOLOLOL.

In Brawl I just used SSE for unlocks. Like I said unlocking Mewtwo was a special moment dammit.

That being said, I don't care if it is there or not. It will suck a little bit as I have less people to play with now as having stuff to unlock in fighting games is how I get a lot out of them lately but Smash Generally have enough single player content that it won't matter as much.

It is a nice staple of the series that may be a relic of its time to many of the "i want it nooooow" crowd also the internet has ruined the main reason for it (surpises)

Durden77

Oh god what.

It wasn't quite that but it was very dumb. Since Arcade mode was pretty much all that game had to work with, all of the unlockable characters required you beating it multiple times or in certain ways. And to get Seth you had to beat arcade mode at a certain difficulty with every character, including the unlockables.

And playing computers in SF, especially that many times in the same way, is NOT where it's at.

Hatchtag

Banned
I am calm, I just used expletives.

You know what allows me, to get used to the characters, being able to play as all the characters FROM THE START.

You wanna know what gets me to play your game more, costumes, extra's shit like that. Having to play through your game , so I can unlock the full basic function of your game, is stupid.

Well I disagree. I hate starting a game, seeing 50 characters and having no idea where the hell to begin. I like to slowly get a feel for the games different characters. I like to be surprised by unlocking characters, and having fun discovering their moveset. I don't like starting with everything, I think that's too intimidating and a bit of a turn off to when I'm just starting a game. Having 40+ matchups to get used to right off the bat isn't all that welcoming.

-Horizon-

What if Lucina is the last character to be unlocked in a roster of 58 characters? :p

Heh, I was wondering if anyone would call me on that ;D
I've seen it attributed to a good few people but was never particularly sure who actually said it so I just went with Voltaire :3
Don't even joke about that.
M98f0Sy.jpg

heh enjoy

Horizon
and me
am cry
Literal rivers of tears will be made.

We mustn't keep a lady waiting

lucinaf4qah.png

edit: fixed
Ahhhhh much thanks zroid! My autocorrect almost put zoid.
brb, going to the changing room.

Does this work, Heath?

otxbqj.png

Ah, sorry he beat me Horizon. Looks great, though!
Its alright, it's the thought that counts!

Gartooth

The only reason I could see no unlockables in the game is if Sakurai chose to get rid of them for the same reason as no cutscenes, aka internet spoilers.

Jaeger

For the record, I hated unlocking people in the SSE mode. That's not how I want it at all. And everyone should be less hostile about this. No one is right or wrong in this conversation. Just preferences.

Hug it out, godammit.

It is a nice staple of the series that may be a relic of its time to many of the "i want it nooooow" crowd also the internet has ruined the main reason for it (surpises)

Really? Even after I just called this out already? "People don't agree with me because they have ADHD." That'd be as silly as me saying that people who want unlocks can't enjoy a game anymore if it doesn't give them a shiny bauble every 5 seconds. Is it true? No, but it's a low hanging fruit to try and make your own viewpoint look better compared to the opposition.
I don't feel things like that really enrich these conversations :/

Toxi

Banned
If Sakurai is going to show off characters it makes sense that he'd show off ones people care about which. This may very well mean that characters no one cares about like Ridley or Shadow could very well be hidden as unlockables.
People cared about Wii-Fit Trainer before her reveal?

For the record, I hated unlocking people in the SSE mode. That's not how I want it at all. And everyone should be less hostile about this. No one is right or wrong in this conversation. Just preferences.

Hug it out, godammit.
Fuck you and your hugs. You're wrong and you should feel bad.
/s

Jaeger

Really? Even after I just called this out already? "People don't agree with me because they have ADHD." That'd be as silly as me saying that people who want unlocks can't enjoy a game for 5 seconds without being given a food pellet. Is it true? No, but it's a low hanging fruit to try and make your own viewpoint look better compared to the opposition.

You didn't call anything out the first time. I was merely calling myself old, and out of touch with what gamers seem to want now.

It appears you are being exactly what you feel you "called out".

.... wha?

You do realize that having everything unlocked from the get go in a fighting game is not the norm. Correct?

Ultimate Marvel 3 did it, I believe SSF4 did it as well. Blazblue also. And doesn't Tekken 6 do the same thing? Again, you can have unlockable music, concept art, videos, whatever. But don't lock the essential element of your game if said game is multiplayer focused.

You didn't call anything out the first time. I was merely calling myself old, and out of touch with what gamers seem to want now.

It appears you are being exactly what you feel you "called out".
I felt I was calling it out by giving an example, which I then immediately pointed out was not an actual valid statement. You're welcome to view it however you want though :/

We're all getting older Jaeger, from the second we're born. And there's always a new generation right behind us wanting something different :3

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wouldn't mind just having a toggleable on the select screen that flat-out unlocks characters and stuff for parties or tournaments or whatever. Either that or some complicated button combo at character select.

And on the avatars, I think I might nab Fem!Robin if nobody else is?

You should go for it.

Village

If Sakurai is going to show off characters it makes sense that he'd show off ones people care about which. This may very well mean that characters no one cares about like Ridley or Shadow could be hidden as unlockables.

Too good.

Real Talk more people would probably give a shit good or bad, if shadow was announced for smash, than a lot of the people announced. Also shadow is an assist trophy, and still people made a fuss over that. People made a fuss about people making a fuss about that.

Mik317

Really? Even after I just called this out already? "People don't agree with me because they have ADHD." That'd be as silly as me saying that people who want unlocks can't enjoy a game anymore if it doesn't give them a shiny bauble every 5 seconds. Is it true? No, but it's a low hanging fruit to try and make your own viewpoint look better compared to the opposition.

wat?

I'm not saying that is a bad thing to be all like "I want it nooooow". It is just harder to justify locking out fighters in a fighting game anymore and I get that.

I personally like to unlock things but I understand why other won't.

I'm not arguing about it as I understand both sides here. There is nothing to agree with me about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom