• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezzhil

Ugh, no, Ganondorf is the entire reason why I'm iffy on clones. Falco as a Fox clone: Fine. Doctor Mario as a Mario Clone: Perfect. Roy as a Marth clone: Sure.

Ganondorf is the main antagonist of one of Nintendo's top series. He or his corrupted form into Ganon has been in most of the major games, and he ends up as a clone of a character from an entirely different series?! That has never made even the smallest bit of sense to me. If Ganondorf had been a clone of Link, but with different magics instead of the bomb, boomerang and bow, I'd have been fine with it; that would have made sense. Ganondorf as a Captain Falcon clone is a travesty.

I think the same since Melee. Falcondorf makes no sense.
I hope that, if Sakurai don't want to remove Falcondorf because there are a lot of players that like him, he could at least add more moves to choose (like Palutena).

Ah, I didn't see your's. My bad. XD

It's fine ;)

Not

Banned
I guess we won't know if it's really all the characters or not until we see the leaks. But either way, the end is coming. All the characters should be revealed by the beginning of September no matter what happens.

Well, we'll know the roster one month before I thought.
At this point I hope the reveals will be more, at least a character a week from now on. Doesn't make sense to reveal 10+ characters in one shot on a magazine.

L00P

updateessssss

Lucy in the sky with a badass falchion
BskbL7aCcAA2TMf.png

Robin reads a book
BskbRWNCUAEyH2-.png

Douglas J Falcon teaches you the art of manly handshaking at high velocity
BskbWq1CMAAMGtB.png
This is great! Can't wait to see the entirety of smash 4's roster in there

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="D";121095754]The Fire Emblem wiki states the Falchion is technically a medieval long sword, so I guess I was wrong there.[/QUOTE]
Ironically, falchions in real life were single-edged weapons based on powerful chops.

I guess we won't know if it's really all the characters or not until we see the leaks. But either way, the end is coming. All the characters should be revealed by the beginning of September no matter what happens.

Yup, with a game this big some people might get their hands on it in late August and put everything out on the internet anyways. Sakurai was upset at people putting the SSE cutscenes on youtube and he was probably pretty upset about the huge Brawl leaks right before release so really it makes sense to reveal the whole roster before people get a chance to leak it.

For people who are treating this like she's the first clone and that clones can now be in... Is Toon Link not a clone if Lucina is or am I missing something? I know he plays differently to Link but Lucina also plays differently to Marth. Is there some sort of "limit" that a character has to pass to be considered a clone? Apologies if I'm missing the point completely.

I think the same since Melee. Falcondorf makes no sense.
I hope that, if Sakurai don't want to remove Falcondorf because there are a lot of players that like him, he could at least add more moves to choose (like Palutena).
I think Ganondorf might get a Pit style makeover... and if he doesn't, then Sakurai needs to reevaluate himself. Nobody really asked for Pit to get new moves, but EVERYBODY is waiting for the day Ganondorf becomes a unique character.

For people who are treating this like she's the first clone and that clones can now be in... Is Toon Link not a clone if Lucina is or am I missing something? I know he plays differently to Link but Lucina also plays differently to Marth. Is there some sort of "limit" that a character has to pass to be considered a clone? Apologies if I'm missing the point completely.

She's the first NEW clone, Toon Link is a veteran.

Axass

I think the point is she's a new clone, not someone returning from Brawl.

EDIT: Greninja'd.

Wait Smash is coming out September 13th in Japan?
Woah no Internet (or SmashGAF) for me then from September 13th on. :(

Might as well bail on the internet in August because whether or not CoroCoro is actually revealing the full roster all the characters will likely be leaked in late August or early September by people who get their hands on a copy early.

Akiller

So, with these new characters, who is GAF considering maining? I'm still at Megaman (his playstyle was awesome in the demo), possibly considering Lucina, and possibly considering Ganondorf if he's less complete shit this time around.

Zelda Joestar and Bayonetta.

justchris

There's a few problems

1) She's just straight up based on Marth, both in Smash and in FE:A. There's no getting around it. She is a giant Marth reference. She goes by the name Marth. Her fighting style is based on Marth since she needed to learn from somewhere. She is literally a descendant of Marth. The character was IS going "We're going to make this person exactly like Marth."

2) She wouldn't exist in Smash if Marth weren't already there to be the foundation.

This sort of creates an issue if you don't want Lucina to be a clone: do you make a moveset and movement style wholly for someone who is already based on an existing character or do you use that time to make someone new and bring in a fan-favorite who, by her very source material, is almost identical to Marth.

Honestly, what I would have liked to see for Lucina was her being a slightly faster version of Marth, but having some of Marth's specials and normals, and some of Ike's, combining the two fighting styles. With custom moves you can make her either fight exactly like fast Marth or exactly like fast Ike, or just combine the best moves of the two. Would definitely have been a lot more work though, so I'll take what I can get.

Or how about on the level of Pit? Give him some new moves but he is still mostly the same character.

A Pit style revamp of Ganondorf would work, too, but again, to avoid disappointing existing Ganondorf fans, they'd have to work around his best moves. The moves they changed for Pit were pretty much perfect. The annoying side special most of all.

SuperSah

Banned
To think that all of this hype, a year of it and countless threads speculating may finally come to an end thanks to CoroCoro.

Brings a tear to the eye!

Honestly, what I would have liked to see for Lucina was her being a slightly faster version of Marth, but having some of Marth's specials and normals, and some of Ike's, combining the two fighting styles. With custom moves you can make her either fight exactly like fast Marth or exactly like fast Ike, or just combine the best moves of the two. Would definitely have been a lot more work though, so I'll take what I can get.

i am hoping somewhere that she has some reference to the way chrom uses his sword (at least somewhere im dreaming probably lol)

NeonZ

I'm inclined to believe the guy, makes no sense that they can show everything that is in the game one month before launch. Can anybody confirm the Brawl tidbit?

http://www.ign.com/blogs/shishoumatt/2007/12/11/all-ssbbrawl-characters-revealed-saturday

Obviously, when the actual magazine was published, it didn't reveal anything new and the official reveals of the unlockable content were only post launch - and that magazine didn't even cover all the initial content.

ryanofcall

To think that all of this hype, a year of it and countless threads speculating may finally come to an end thanks to CoroCoro.

I wonder what happens to the OT on the day it's released.
Lucina/Robin reveal gave it an impact of ~4000 comments in not even 24h

Axass

http://www.ign.com/blogs/shishoumatt/2007/12/11/all-ssbbrawl-characters-revealed-saturday

Obviously, when the actual magazine was published, it didn't reveal anything new and the official reveals of the unlockable content were only post launch - and that magazine didn't even cover all the initial content.

Yep, Joe (Serebii) just confirmed this to me:

Yep, there was the misconception. They had a Smash Book and said all characters would be in it, but it didn't have every one in it. The hidden ones were still hidden.

So, at best we're getting the initial roster, only if it has been outed by Nintendo beforehand. No way we're getting unlockables revelead as well.

Muzy72

Banned
I wouldn't be too shocked to see the entire starting roster to be revealed in a Smash 3DS Direct shortly before CoroCoro launches

I mean, we're already at 36 characters... Assuming Pac-Man, Mega Man, and possibly Mii Fighters are unlockable, it's not too farfetched to think we only have a couple characters left in the starting roster

ryanofcall

I think that we already saw many unlockable characters, how many slots do you think there are? 3 more newcomers and some veterans.

I wonder if they'll hold back some of the newcomers to be hidden/secret unlockables I'd appreciate it. *remembers unlocking Mewtwo in Melee*

I wonder if they'll hold back some of the newcomers to be hidden/secret unlockables I'd appreciate it. *remembers unlocking Mewtwo in Melee*

same for me as well :p i love unlocking characters used to fight with my friends all the time for character unlocking rights (those were the best days )

Kouichi

I wouldn't be too shocked to see the entire starting roster to be revealed in a Smash 3DS Direct shortly before CoroCoro launches

I mean, we're already at 36 characters... Assuming Pac-Man, Mega Man, and possibly Mii Fighters are unlockable, it's not too farfetched to think we only have a couple characters left in the starting roster

This is what I'm hoping for. Another Smash Direct breaking down the rest of characters would be great.

ryanofcall

Did they reveal all newcomers ahead of time? No COMPLETELY hidden newcomers for Melee or Brawl?

I think Wolf, Lucario, Toon Link, R.O.B. were a secret until after (Japan) release
But I knew about them since Japan Release was so much earlier :/

edit: I think all the unlockable Characters (also vets) were kept secret until after the release, didn't they? It's hard to say becaus Japan spoiled us anyway. That's why I'll be offline for some time starting September 13th xD

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Did they reveal all newcomers ahead of time? No COMPLETELY hidden newcomers for Melee or Brawl?
For Brawl, as I said earlier, out of all of the hidden characters, only Snake and Sonic were revealed prior to release. The other four hidden newcomers--Lucario, R.O.B., Toon Link and Wolf--were all kept secret until post-release (along with the hidden veterans). And as for Melee, no hidden character was revealed prior to release (9 of Melee's 11 hidden characters were newcomers).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the CoroCoro book is for the 3DS version so we can still speculate about Wii U stages for a brief time.

Well the CoroCoro book is for the 3DS version so we can still speculate about Wii U stages for a brief time.

Oh, it's a book? Not a simple article? That's better, an article suggested me there are no many things left.
When is this going to be released? Beginning of August? Middle? End?

Axass

Aβydoς;121098199 said:
Oh, it's a book? Not a simple article? That's better, an article suggested me there are no many things left.
When is this going to be released? Beginning of August? Middle? End?

I read it goes on sale the 12th, so it's going to be leaked a few days before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom