• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_m1xzk0INDv1qgo4qyo1_400.png

JoeInky

I don't doubt Lucina's popularity. I just don't understand the sentiment that Chrom was some pariah standing in the way of what FE fans "really want". They are both good characters in their own right, but at least with Chrom we would of had a chance at a bit more of a unique character from a gameplay perspective.

I'm not upset about Lucina's addition, but I don't like the "HA! I got mine, who cares about you?!" type comments that are being tossed around.

What exactly would make chrom a unique character from a gameplay perspective?

I haven't played awakening in a while and I don't particularly like fire emblem so it wasn't very memorable to me, but I don't remember anything about him standing out (or Lucina for that matter).

Robin is awesome. I think it was an excellent decision to add them.

I don't doubt Lucina's popularity. I just don't understand the sentiment that Chrom was some pariah standing in the way of what FE fans "really want". They are both good characters in their own right, but at least with Chrom we would of had a chance at a bit more of a unique character from a gameplay perspective.

I'm not upset about Lucina's addition, but I don't like the "HA! I got mine, who cares about you?!" type comments that are being tossed around.

I'm not so sure about this part. Just as Lucina is basically a lighter/faster Marth (maybe), who's to say Chrom wouldn't have just been a slower/heavier Marth?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Normally the issue is that women have too large of breast in fighting games.
Now people are having issues with the fact that women have smaller breast covered by somewhat realistic clothing/armor?

....I'm not shocked.

Lunar15

Fighting Emblem is right next to Emblem Warriors and Fire Emblem x Valkryia Chronicles for things I want to see from the franchise now that Nintendo's in its weird pair up mode.

Emblem Warriors is just the most SENSIBLE THING of all time.

Which is why it will never happen, and we'll get Nintendogs Warriors instead.

During the Lucina reveal I was half expecting Chrom to rush back up and "pair up" with Lucina before she gets falcon punched, revealing them as a tag team, but she'd already had her whooshy snappy screen thing appear, so I was kinda happy in the end the fact we all expected the worst (Chrom) was kinda blown out of the water with Robin appearing, and the subsequent poking of fun at Chrom being who everyone expected. It's awesome Lucina is shining on her own, even if she is a clone character, I couldn't have imagined her any other way really.

I'm not pressed at all I'm just happy she'll be making an appearance. I would gladly welcome a couple more of these kind of additions as long as it isn't overkill, or they have some unique standard/special moves. I never liked Dark Pit in Uprising, but if he was easy enough to implement I guess I could get behind it because since Brawl that alternate colour has since become its own character. Sakurai seemed to make special reference to point of how Lucina is being represented today, but I doubt we'll see many more Lucina cases, if any at all. At this point I don't even care who's in the roster. I only really want Dixie Kong now (Krystal is my pipe dream character request), since we already got all the awesome females I wanted to see in Palutena, Villager, and Lucina; Rosalina, Robin, and unexpectedly, the WFT.

Neiteio

RE: attitudes toward Chrom:

People were unexcited about Chrom because many thought he'd be a fairly by-the-numbers swordsman, barring some unique gimmick like a Pair Up character with Lucina, or the ability to call other characters into action (I.E. Robin, Lissa, Frederick).

What we got instead is Lucina and Robin. Lucina is a Marth clone and so may be considered "bland" by some, but it's not like we -just- got Lucina. We also got Robin, who is much more interesting than Chrom probably would've been. So really, it's more like we got a much more interesting newcomer like no other, and as a bonus, a fan-favorite newcomer who happens to play similar to Marth.

Gilbals

Banned
I can't believe this thread is close to 5K posts already, almost 1/4th of the way to a new thread.

There must have been some kind of discussion record broken yesterday with how many posts the multiple Smash threads generated.

People take their Captain Falcon very seriously.......Other guys too I guess, or something.

Lunar15

People were unexcited about Chrom because many thought he'd be a fairly by-the-numbers swordsman, barring some unique gimmick like a Pair Up character with Lucina, or the ability to call other characters into action (I.E. Robin, Lissa, Frederick).

What we got instead is Lucina and Robin. Lucina is a Marth clone and so may be considered "bland" by some, but it's not like we -just- got Lucina. We also got Robin, who is much more interesting than Chrom probably would've been. So really, it's more like we got a much more interesting newcomer like no other, and as a bonus, a fan-favorite newcomer who happens to play similar to Marth.

Let me tell you, man. When you're on this side of having the veterans you want (Ike and Captain Falcon) and the newcomers you want (Palutena, Little Mac), the deal with it shades just slide on and you tune out the complaints. Lucina got in over Chrom? No Shulk? Ridley too big? I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of me already getting everything I wanted.

It's a nice feeling.

I haven't played awakening in a while and I don't particularly like fire emblem so it wasn't very memorable but I don't remember anything about him standing out (or Lucina for that matter).

well tbf what would make lyn or any sword user from fire emblem really unique ? (outside of certain weapons having properties) the game is basically i use weapons to hit you which is probably why every fe character outside probably robin shares the counter special.

ive seen people throw around the lyn sprite (but really what makes people so sure shes gonna play like that)

what chrom could have introduced gameplay wise was that the fact he (luci or hell even robin could have done it) was that he was one of the few lords that could actually change classes they could have allowed him to use a spear, given him a bow/and arrow and made his swordplay more refined like marths but with similar strength to ikes

honestly despite f.e being one of my favorite nintendo franchises the movesets you could give the characters are pretty limiting outside of using magic (which robin clearly showed)

sorry for the long post :T

Neiteio

Let me tell you, man. When you're on this side of having the veterans you want (Ike and Captain Falcon) and the newcomers you want (Palutena, Little Mac), the deal with it shades just slide on and you tune out the complaints. Lucina got in over Chrom? No Shulk? Ridley too big? I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of all of my requirements being met.

It's a nice feeling.
I'm extremely happy with the roster we have so far. :)

I wonder if Lucina was a later edition - if Sakurai had planned Robin (complete with his Chrom FS) to be the only new FE rep, and then somewhere down the line, found he had some extra time and threw in Lucina as a Marth clone for a bonus. Someone earlier (I think it was georly) suggested that Lucina was essentially "padding," an extra character tossed in to give the roster a little more variety. I think that's a good way of looking at it.

Ironic that Robin, a truly unique newcomer and clearly the focal point of the trailer, has gotten comparatively little attention while a clone has dominated the discussion.

Let me tell you, man. When you're on this side of having the veterans you want (Ike and Captain Falcon) and the newcomers you want (Palutena, Little Mac), the deal with it shades just slide on and you tune out the complaints. Lucina got in over Chrom? No Shulk? Ridley too big? I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of me already getting everything I wanted.

It's a nice feeling.

Same. I think Smash 4 has the best batch of newcomers yet. Never before have there been two newcomers (Villager and Robin) who can rival Luigi to be my main.

I haven't played awakening in a while and I don't particularly like fire emblem so it wasn't very memorable to me, but I don't remember anything about him standing out (or Lucina for that matter).

I'm not so sure about this part. Just as Lucina is basically a lighter/faster Marth (maybe), who's to say Chrom wouldn't have just been a slower/heavier Marth?
Lucina is intentionally supposed to emulate Marth in Awakening. That's one of the defining aspects of her character. So it's no surprise that she plays like him in Smash.

Chrom doesn't have that burden upon him. Yes, he's another swordsman Lord, so he could of also been another Marth spin-off, but he doesn't have some already built-in precedent to live up to like Lucina does.

Neiteio

I wonder if Lucina was a later edition - if Sakurai had planned Robin (complete with his Chrom FS) to be the only new FE rep, and then somewhere down the line, found he had some extra time and threw in Lucina as a Marth clone for a bonus. Someone earlier (I think it was georly) suggested that Lucina was essentially "padding," an extra character tossed in to give the roster a little more variety. I think that's a good way of looking at it.

Ironic that Robin, a truly unique newcomer and clearly the focal point of the trailer, has gotten comparatively little attention while a clone has dominated the discussion.
Yeah, but to be fair, lucinaboots.jpg

JoeInky

I think that's one of my main problems with having so many fire emblem reps, they just all seem interchangeable to me, you've got to have Marth just because it's Marth, and Ike was a favourite from Brawl, but apart from that I'm just not interested in anyone else considering I didn't pay any attention to the story in FE:A.

Now, I would have found it interesting if you could have played as one of the mounted units, that would be crazy.

Lucina is intentionally supposed to emulate Marth in Awakening. That's one of the defining aspects of her character. So it's no surprise that she plays like him in Smash.

Chrom doesn't have that burden upon him. Yes, he's another swordsman Lord, so he could of also been another Marth spin-off, but he doesn't have some already built-in precedent to live up to like Lucina does.

So what was Roy's excuse in Melee?

Berordn

I imagine it has a lot to do with clone debates and general lack of info on Robin's mechanics. We have a basic knowledge of Lucina (thanks to us knowing a fair bit about Marf from previous games and the E3 demos) so she's easier to talk about. We've got to speculate on Robin's moves and mechanics (since he's introducing some cool new stuff), but we've already got a good idea on how Lucina will pan out.

It's relly not that unfeasible. The pattern for FE reps thus far had been Marth plus a rep from whatever the latest game was at the time. Chrom is built a bit bigger than Marth so one could assume he might take over Ike's moveset or use a modified version thereof.

Granted, Sakurai didn't really want to cut Roy from Brawl...

I can see why people would have that idea, though.

That "pattern" was only SSBM->SSBB i.e between two games and one of them being the debut of Marth.

It was dumb then and its still dumb now.

And the inherit his moveset argument doesn't work when A.) Chrom is nowhere near Ike's level of strength and modifying his moveset to accommodate him would just not have worked as well since it wouldn't have been satisfying to hit someone at every instance like they got slammed by a damn truck, which is one the reasons why a lot of people loved Ike's moveset in the first place.

Also B.) The argument being his moves are similar to Ike (Which, as far as I remember, only really implies his Quick Draw) and the the linchpin in the entire arguments would usually be "He has his Aether!"

Its like some people who wanted him had never FE:A in the first place.

Moonlight

Banned
Which would you prefer: A fighting game or a Musou?
Definitely a fighting game. Musou makes a lot of sense and it'd probably turn out cool, but fighting games is just a genre that I'm way more attracted to and I find the prospect of playing as my favourite Lord (Lyn) or whoever in a fighting game as more exciting than the same prospect in a Musou.

Definitely wouldn't mind both!

Spinluck

screen-3.jpg

Every time I see this, I mentally seem to imagine his face just ends underneath his lower-lip there, no chin - or at the very least, imagine his neckerchief perpetually covering his chin like this. It looks so silly.

What, that is clearly because of the perspective/angle of the shot.

His model looks great, and his expression is just a bit exaggerated.

Lunar15

Definitely a fighting game. Musou makes a lot of sense and it'd probably turn out cool, but fighting games is just a genre that I'm way more attracted to and I find the prospect of playing as my favourite Lord (Lyn) or whoever in a fighting game as more exciting than the same prospect in a Musou.

Nope, you get SMT crossover instead.

While I'm no huge fan of Musou, particularly Musou crossovers, I think we could get more out of certain characters (particularly mounted characters) through a Musou game than we could a fighter. But hey, I'd take a fighter any day of the week.

Any game that lets me play as Nephenee is ALRIGHT WITH ME.

Darryl

Banned
Robin looks incredible. This game is shaping up to have some amazing newcomers. Also, I think this means see-ya to Shulk and Isaac unfortunately.

Caladrius

I'm extremely happy with the roster we have so far. :)

I'm still missing about 5 guys I really want to see. (And only 1 or 2 that have a solid shot.)

In order of descending likelihood
Shulk, Ridley, Ray series robo, Dark Samus, Waluigi

Lucina is the first clone (that isn't a stinkypoopoofacederivativeoftheexactsamecharacter inanalternatetimelineandcompletelyexpendablehaveImentionedIhateToonLinkyet ) that has been introduced so far, so it's only natural the focus would be on her.

You don't want to play as Anna?

I think that's one of my main problems with having so many fire emblem reps, they just all seem interchangeable to me, you've got to have Marth just because it's Marth, and Ike was a favourite from Brawl, but apart from that I'm just not interested in anyone else considering I didn't pay any attention to the story in FE:A.

while they are interchangable (i will have to agree with you here lol)
But smash is supposed to be a celebration of nintendo personal feelings aside Fire emblem represents the srpg genre that nintendo has and also has a great history beyond that of marth and ike and lots of other great characters.
I for one am super glad that sakurai is spending time in representing more of characters from this game

That "pattern" was only SSBM->SSBB i.e between two games and one of them being the debut of Marth.

It was dumb then and its still dumb now.

And the inherit his moveset argument doesn't work when A.) Chrom is nowhere near Ike's level of strength and modifying his moveset to accommodate him would just not have worked as well since it wouldn't have been satisfying to hit someone at every instance like they got slammed by a damn truck, which is one the reasons why a lot of people loved Ike's moveset in the first place.

Also B.) The argument being his moves are similar to Ike (Which, as far as I remember, only really implies his Quick Draw) and the the linchpin in the entire arguments would usually be "He has his Aether!"

Its like some people who wanted him had never FE:A in the first place.

the funny thing is his aether in fe:a was also quite different as chrom's is a slash forward through the enemy then a second slash from the back

Whoa, Chrom's an assist trophy? I thought A Chrom/Lucina Character along the lines of male/female wii fit trainer was a given, considering they have identical fighting styles. Hell, I'm not even sure why Lucina isn't a reskin of Marth, but if she's got her own moveset i'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom