• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CjGkYqA.gif

Damn straight.

Jaeger

I really need to play Uprising.

Nobody is making judgement calls on the final product, we all recognize it is a work in progress and that the final game will be different. But to write off people's concerns about mechanics is unfair. The game was played and people noticed things they didn't like and shared them. They are not concerns "a select few" are raising. Those issues JoeInky brought up a couple pages back are not minor things. Movement options are what makes smash fun and gives depth to competitive play.

These are valid concerns to have.

I'm not sure if you understand what I was saying, and that it was in response to some possible "high tier player" saying he hopes the game fails.

nah, Chrom was always a rather bland blue-hair (male) sword-wielding lord even before Gematsu, so it's not like many people really wanted him

I feel like the general consensus was that everyone had resigned themselves to Chrom because A) FE playable character tradition making him the likely choice and B) Gematsu, and virtually everyone preferred the idea of Robin or Lucina over him.

Now everyone wins :3
I find it so strange when people say this, since Chrom is very popular character, especially in Japan. (He was voted #1 in the official character poll.)

And Lucina is really just a female Chrom. Her personality is extremely similar to his, which is fitting, since she's his daughter.

Personally, I would of preferred Chrom over Lucina. He probably would of had a more unique fighting style too. I don't hate Lucina, but I think she's the blandest newcomer so far.

Y'know, if Dark Pit manages to use different weapons from Uprising, has some different standard attacks and a non-rehashed Final Smash; I really would be ok with him as a character. Can't be worse than the Star Fox bros.

Even though it does kind of defeat the idea that Sakurai is overly modest with the series he's worked on/likes.

Berordn

I find it so strange when people say this, since Chrom is very popular character, especially in Japan. (He was voted #1 in the official character poll.)

I was mainly just talking about here in SmashGAF, where it seemed like he had a lukewarm reception and the dream of tome-wielding Robin was aflame in our hearts.

And also the crazy people vocal Lucina fans.

Though I'd actually agree in that he's a pretty bland pick for me. I didn't think much of him in Awakening.

Neiteio

And Lucina is really just a female Chrom. Her personality is extremely similar to his, which is fitting, since she's his daughter.

Personally, I would of preferred Chrom over Lucina. He probably would of had a more unique fighting style too. I don't hate Lucina, but I think she's the blandest newcomer so far.
Rebuttal

ssb-lucinabootsb1srg.jpg

your honor, I rest my case

Kouichi

Everyone should play Uprising. It's one of the only games that actually had me in tears (of laughter).

I actually cried when
Pit lost his wings to save Dark Pit and Palutena was reminiscing while holding him. "My wish would be to fly by myself!" ;-;

i dont think lucina's bland really (i actually do like that she's a marth clone since it fits her character quite well) I do agree with you though that chrom and luci do share similar traits and that chrom did have the possibility of being a lot more different than what ike and marth could have been (even from just the few seconds of him being in robin's fs showed that he could have been like a mix of ike and marth) But i do feel overall robin was the best thing for the fe choices and was super glad that he/she got in

Jaeger

I really hope the next (last?) Newcomer video features Captain Falcon wreaking havoc again because it was just too good. From having beaten Chrom off the roster so badly they couldn't even show it to handling Lucina with ease to jumping away from Robin's spell attack in a flashy, taunting manner... so good.

Ryce

Chrom was voted the #1 male -- Lucina was also voted the #1 female. Apparently the art book consolidates both lists, and Lucina came out as the overall most popular.

Caladrius

I was mainly just talking about here in SmashGAF, where it seemed like he had a lukewarm reception and the dream of tome-wielding Robin was aflame in our hearts.

And also the crazy people vocal Lucina fans.

Though I'd actually agree in that he's a pretty bland pick for me. I didn't think much of him in Awakening.

Chrom
and Inigo while we're on the topic
is attractive and generally likable, but that's about it.

My pet weapon-master idea for him could be applied to a lot of other FE (and a few non-FE) characters, so it isn't a big loss.

Chrom hate is retribution for having to constantly deal with people thinking he would replace Ike (My patterns!) and inherit his moveset (Dumbest idea ever).

flohen95

I tried and the controls ruined the game.

I never had a problem with the controls. I even played the game on the train home from the shop when I bought it and managed to complete a few chapters (on a low difficulty, yeah, but it was my first time playing anyway). But I can see how that can be offputting.

I actually cried when
Pit lost his wings to save Dark Pit and Palutena was reminiscing while holding him. "My wish would be to fly by myself!" ;-;

Yeah, the story was surprisingly deep and emotional at times. Which is why I like it even more.

Ahnez

Y'know, if Dark Pit manages to use different weapons from Uprising, has some different standard attacks and a non-rehashed Final Smash; I really would be ok with him as a character. Can't be worse than the Star Fox bros.

Even though it does kind of defeat the idea that Sakurai is overly modest with the series he's worked on/likes.

If he's in and is not a clone, his final smash could be the
Lightning Chariot
, after all, he uses it more than you.

Chrom was voted the #1 male -- Lucina was also voted the #1 female. Apparently the art book consolidates both lists, and Lucina came out as the overall most popular.

it doesnt seem to it looks like the rankings are seperate (i think) also funny thing to note there was a ranking for what i think to be the best robin type and vanilla robin was voted to be the favorite lol (

Chrom hate is retribution for having to constantly deal with people thinking he would replace Ike (My patterns!) and inherit his moveset (Dumbest idea ever).

actually i never understood that either ike and chrom are really different characters and i recall that chrom is actually terrible with magic and the like lol

batfax

Ah, Wonderful. Thanks. I checked Play-Asia and they are indeed doing a rerelease.

Hopefully it doesn't come out before I move.

So far, the Link and Samus figmas have been popular enough to get a bunch of reprints so if you miss it, it'll probably come around again.

On the general subject of Smash figures for those interested, unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about a new run of Pit and Dark Pit. However, both Zero Suit Samus and Lucina have teasers/a prototype floating around and will be upcoming Figmas. Combined with the other figures in the photo, you can make a pretty cool Smash display with a little more flair than an amiibo collection would provide.

Of course, Figuarts have both Mario and Luigi (announced) covered as well. Since Bandai has the general Nintendo license, I hope they capitalize on their strength with Kamen Rider/Sentai figures and announce a Captain Falcon figure soon. Summer Wonfest should be soon, so who knows if anything crazy will get announced there to ride the Smash hypetrain.

Lunar15

Chrom
and Inigo while we're on the topic
is attractive and generally likable, but that's about it.

My pet weapon-master idea for him could be applied to a lot of other FE (and a few non-FE) characters, so it isn't a big loss.

To be fair though, Lucina is surprisingly uninteresting once you get her. Her social li.. support convos are definitely better than her dad's, but nothing mindblwoing.

That being said, I'm glad she's in over Chrom because it just feels like it adds more variety to the cast.

It's relly not that unfeasible. The pattern for FE reps thus far had been Marth plus a rep from whatever the latest game was at the time. Chrom is built a bit bigger than Marth so one could assume he might take over Ike's moveset or use a modified version thereof.

Granted, Sakurai didn't really want to cut Roy from Brawl...

I can see why people would have that idea, though.

Moonlight

Banned
Lucina is, I'm sorry to say, not what I'd call my ideal FE addition, since for all of her merits, she's just Another blue-haired sword wielder, and as jazzed as I am about Robin (like totally), kinda wish the ratio would be 1:1 on 'blue-haired Lords' and 'everything else FE'. That said, assuming we absolutely had to have another one, I'm happy it's Lucina. Aside from being a much better design period than Chrom, at the very least she can stand to represent the myriad of great female characters in the FE franchise that Marth and Ike just weren't doing.

also because EAT SHIT CHROM

To be fair though, Lucina is surprisingly uninteresting once you get her. Her social li.. support convos are definitely better than her dad's, but nothing mindblwoing.

That being said, I'm glad she's in over Chrom because it just feels like it adds more variety to the cast.

actually i think lucina has some decent ones if she has siblings and her convos with the children cast are quite decent tbh

Lucina is, I'm sorry to say, not what I'd call my ideal FE addition, since for all of her merits, she's just Another blue-haired sword wielder, and as jazzed as I am about Robin (like totally), kinda wish the ratio would be 1:1 on 'blue-haired Lords' and 'everything else FE'. That said, assuming we absolutely had to have another one, I'm happy it's Lucina. Aside from being a much better design period than Chrom, at the very least she can stand to represent the myriad of great female characters in the FE franchise that Marth and Ike just weren't doing.

i dont know i kinda the whole blue hair thing :p i do agree that some other representation of other weapons types would be cool as well. Personally i have to disagree with the whole luci has a better design than chrom (personally i think they are pretty similar but i digress).I do like the fact luci does in a way represent the female cast tho and i am super excited to play as her

Lunar15

One day we'll get our Fighter Emblem.

One day.

i dont think lucina's bland really (i actually do like that she's a marth clone since it fits her character quite well) I do agree with you though that chrom and luci do share similar traits and that chrom did have the possibility of being a lot more different than what ike and marth could have been (even from just the few seconds of him being in robin's fs showed that he could have been like a mix of ike and marth) But i do feel overall robin was the best thing for the fe choices and was super glad that he/she got in
Robin is awesome. I think it was an excellent decision to add them.

I don't doubt Lucina's popularity. I just don't understand the sentiment that Chrom was some pariah standing in the way of what FE fans "really want". They are both good characters in their own right, but at least with Chrom we would of had a chance at a bit more of a unique character from a gameplay perspective.

I'm not upset about Lucina's addition, but I don't like the "HA! I got mine, who cares about you?!" type comments that are being tossed around.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't believe this thread is close to 5K posts already, almost 1/4th of the way to a new thread.

There must have been some kind of discussion record broken yesterday with how many posts the multiple Smash threads generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom