• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

vD00KXu.jpg

This kind of thing is what I was on about when I said minimalist. It just looks so much cleaner and pleasing to the eye.
Looks cold and clinical, IMO. Way too sterile.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Has anyone translated the newest scans yet? I'm curious what the custom moves actually do.

I found translations:

Little Mac:
Neutral Special Attack - Fighting Spirit Straight - Gathers up power and unleashes a punch while moving. If attacked while charging the attack, he will not flinch.

Neutral Special Attack (custom) - Engulfing Fire Straight - Attacks with a straight while the opponent is engulfed in flame. It charges quickly, but does less damage.

Neutral Special Attack (custom) - Numbing Straight - A punch that stuns the opponent at full power. While the move has a long range, he will flinch if attacked.

Rosalina:
Downward Special Attack - Item Capture - Because she can draw items and projectiles towards herself, it is easy to have a monopoly on them. She can attack her opponents with the items she collects.

Downward Special Attack (custom) - Catch & Release - Attracts the opponent and then blows them away. She cannot attract items, however.

Downward Special Attack (custom) - Guardian Luma - The Luma becomes larger for a moment and protects Rosalina. The usual Luma is otherwise weak and would have been blown away.

Kyzon

I'm at work bored and thinking I could come up with a really nice tabuu moveset now.

Maybe when I'm not mobile I'll post one

I'm of the mindset that Robins trailer would have been the same whether Lucina was playable or not, and I kind of feel like Palutenas is sort of the same deal, but with Dark Pit. They included him "just in case" but didn't end up making him a character. The way the video is paced, the end of Palutena's trailer could have easily segwayed into a quick montage of Dark Pit, had they decided to use him.

His inclusion in the trailer is... weird, but if he was a clone new comer, he would have been revealed then, as Lucina was. His hopes of being on the roster now are probably as an elaborate alt color for Pit.

Neutral Special Attack (custom) - Numbing Straight - Little Mac prepares as soon as you input the attack, and if attacked, unleashes a counter attack.

I'm pretty sure this is the Slip Counter description. The Numbing Straight description says something about numbing the opponent (whatever that means in terms of Smash...) and being long range.

SmithnCo

I'm of the mindset that Robins trailer would have been the same whether Lucina was playable or not, and I kind of feel like Palutenas is sort of the same deal, but with Dark Pit. They included him "just in case" but didn't end up making him a character. The way the video is paced, the end of Palutena's trailer could have easily segwayed into a quick montage of Dark Pit, had they decided to use him.

His inclusion in the trailer is... weird, but if he was a clone new comer, he would have been revealed then, as Lucina was. His hopes of being on the roster now are probably as an elaborate alt color for Pit.

Yeah I'm leaning toward color now. I think they'd want to retain the color but having that and a stage hazard could be confusing. Like how Lucina was considered as a Marth alt.

Ahnez

I found translations:

Little Mac:
Neutral Special Attack - Fighting Spirit Straight - Gathers up power and unleashes a punch while moving. If attacked while charging the attack, he will not flinch.

Neutral Special Attack (custom) - Engulfing Fire Straight - Attacks with a straight while the opponent is engulfed in flame. It charges quickly, but does less damage.

Neutral Special Attack (custom) - Numbing Straight - Little Mac prepares as soon as you input the attack, and if attacked, unleashes a counter attack.

Rosalina:
Downward Special Attack - Item Capture - Because she can draw items and projectiles towards herself, it is easy to have a monopoly on them. She can attack her opponents with the items she collects.

Downward Special Attack (custom) - Catch & Release - Attracts the opponent and then blows them away. She cannot attract items, however.

Downward Special Attack (custom) - Guardian Luma - The Luma becomes larger for a moment and protects Rosalina. The usual Luma is otherwise weak and would have been blown away.
Interesting..
So Rosalina do have a custom that change the concept of the move :p
Pretty good custom moves overall

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I'm pretty sure this is the Slip Counter description. The Numbing Straight description says something about numbing the opponent (whatever that means in terms of Smash...) and being long range.

Yeah, my mistake lol.

Kyzon

I think he'll be luigified pit .. or maybe wolfied pit. The way Sakurai worded his reasoning for Lucina being her own character made it seem like there are more clonish characters like that

I think he'll be luigified pit .. or maybe wolfied pit. The way Sakurai worded his reasoning for Lucina being her own character made it seem like there are more clonish characters like that
If that was the case, he'd be revealed at the end of Palutena's trailer, like Lucina was revealed in Robin's. He's probably just an alternate color for Pit that changes his voice and announcer line.

Speedwagon

Neutral Special Attack (custom) - Numbing Straight - A punch that stuns the opponent at full power. While the move has a long range, he will flinch if attacked.

Correct description. I'm guessing "at full power" means "when fully charged."

Kyzon

If that was the case, he'd be revealed at the end of Palutena's trailer, like Lucina was revealed in Robin's. He's probably just an alternate color for Pit that changes his voice and announcer line.

Or he is chilling in limbo with Ridley. Maybe he's a hidden character so he's hinted at but not outright confirmed, or he was in an unstable state when the trailer came out. Many possibilities.

Ahnez

If he's in, I still believe that he will be a more close range oriented Pit

Because bows > all

Or he is chilling in limbo with Ridley. Maybe he's a hidden character so he's hinted at but not outright confirmed, or he was in an unstable state when the trailer came out. Many possibilities.
Hidden characters have already been revealed, it's not as big of a deal as it used to be that a character is unlockable. People expecting some hidden surprises in the roster via unlockables are going to be disappointed.

Speedwagon

Because bows > all

He should use his Dark Pit staff, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Pit seems like a pretty boring character to add to the roster as a unique character and not a Pit clone. But I haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising and likely never will, so I guess there's something to him that isn't obvious.

Neiteio

Yeah, Sakurai's comments on what constitutes a clone vs. an alt did seem like he was establishing the ground rules for other clones in the game. I'd like to think those include Dark Pit and Dr. Mario, as per the rumor on Smashboards.

Like I said before, Dark Pit could function as a clone of Pit with different weapons from the same weapon class, I.E. a different set of orbitars other than Pit's Guardian Orbitars, etc.

Ryce

If Dark Pit is his own character, which I'm not really expecting, then he'll probably have different weapons in place of the Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbitars, a different Final Smash, maybe a few cocky/"dirty" weak attacks, and obviously his own taunts. He could even have Pit's Brawl up special.

Characters like Toon link? I think he was just stating that as a general rule, once you get different abilities you get your own slot. Since Pittoo didn't get a reveal or anything, I'm thinking he's an alt costume.

If Dark Pit is his own character, which I'm not really expecting, then he'll probably have different weapons in place of the Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbitars, a different Final Smash, maybe a few cocky/"dirty" weak attacks, and obviously his own taunts. He could even have Pit's Brawl up special.
Whether he's an alt costume or a Lucina clone, I expect him to get a silver bow instead of Palutena bow, and red sparkles on the power of flight as opposed to pits blue.

Ahnez

Yeah, Sakurai's comments on what constitutes a clone vs. an alt did seem like he was establishing the ground rules for other clones in the game. I'd like to think those include Dark Pit and Dr. Mario, as per the rumor on Smashboards.

Like I said before, Dark Pit could function as a clone of Pit with different weapons from the same weapon class, I.E. a different set of orbitars other than Pit's Guardian Orbitars, etc.
Yeah.. I really dont think Lucina is the only clone in the game..

Dark Pit is such a good choice for a clone :p

Kyzon

Hidden characters have already been revealed, it's not as big of a deal as it used to be that a character is unlockable. People expecting some hidden surprises in the roster via unlockables are going to be disappointed.

We don't know who's hidden or not this time around so that argument is moot.

Because bows > all
Claws>Staffs>the rest

Very true. I don't think he would have said any changes to properties would make one their own character and only have Lucina as an example in the final roster.

That said, we could get way more characters than expected via clonage

afoni

Banned
I'm guessing that Ghirahim was supposed to be revealed earlier, but I guess he wasn't, because they scrapped him for a Link Between Worlds character instead, but they're using his model for an assist trophy and we've not seen that yet so I guess we'll get that next week. *shrug*

I'm assuming.

Kyzon

Characters like Toon link? I think he was just stating that as a general rule, once you get different abilities you get your own slot. Since Pittoo didn't get a reveal or anything, I'm thinking he's an alt costume.

Hmm point noted. Could go either way actually. I want to be optimistic about it though lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm guessing that Ghirahim was supposed to be revealed earlier, but I guess he wasn't, because they scrapped him for a Link Between Worlds character instead, but they're using his model for an assist trophy and we've not seen that yet so I guess we'll get that next week. *shrug*

I'm assuming.

Do my eyes deceive me

We don't know who's hidden or not this time around so that argument is moot.
Chances are Toon Link, Luigi, Lucario, Sonic, Megaman, And Pacman are unlock able. I'd imagine Palutena, Lucina, Mii Fighter and any remaining new comers will also be.

He's already shown us characters that were unlock able in previous games, which is already different than previous reveals. And with every new comer having a trailer, he's not going to hide those, and they have a bigger impact being shown off before release.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Debatable, but I'm not getting into this. Your comment was just unnecessary tho, since this thread is all about speculations and discussions.
That was my honest take on your statement. It was a bunch of speculation based on nothing. It's one thing to wonder whether Dark Pit is a fighter in this game or not as a clone or with an original move set, to wonder whether he's a alt costume or just a palette swap, but it's another thing to come up with a situation where they may have decided to have him but then they cut him when we know nothing about his standing in the game. Him being cut during development is the kind of thing you discuss after release when you have more facts to base things off of.

With Dark Pit being in Palutena trailer,

I wonder if it was their original intention to make Dark Pit as playable character but they probably ran out of time by now so they had to nix Dark Pit from the roster. Unless he's a secret character, so who know. *shrugs*

I only see alt or boss as an option for him.

afoni

Banned
Peach is unlockable in one, Rosalina in the other.

I'm talking about both as a collective.

Melee had all 10 of the starters on the box, Brawl had 11 of the 13 starters on the front of the box, with the other two on the back.

Smash 4 has 14 fighters on both boxes.

Edit: holy shit ignore me im an idiot and i cant count

Toxi

Banned
So I was thinking about Metroid Prime's UI and how awesome it is... And then I remembered how bad Metroid Prime 2's is. Sure, the scan visor was massively improved, but this...

90888-metroid-prime-2-echoes-gamecube-screenshot-the-main-menus.png

What the hell was Retro thinking with these orbiting menus? It's not so bad here, but in the logbook, you often have 8 or so similar options all covering each other and not letting you easily navigate to the one you want.

We should thank our lucky stars that whoever designed Prime 2's menus didn't design Smash's, because good gravy, just picking a character would be annoying.

Axass

vD00KXu.jpg

This kind of thing is what I was on about when I said minimalist. It just looks so much cleaner and pleasing to the eye.

Still best roster. The Wii U select screen is awful IMO, it's like they're trying too hard to make it badass (why a scorching sun???).

So I was thinking about Metroid Prime's UI and how awesome it is... And then I remembered how bad Metroid Prime 2's is. Sure, the scan visor was massively improved, but this...

90888-metroid-prime-2-echoes-gamecube-screenshot-the-main-menus.png

What the hell was Retro thinking with these orbiting menus? It's not so bad here, but in the logbook, you often have 8 or so similar options all covering each other and not letting you easily navigate to the one you want.

We should thank our lucky stars that whoever designed Prime 2's menus didn't design Smash's, because good gravy, just picking a character would be annoying.

I literally just finished Echoes, like a bunch of hours ago. those orbiting logbook entries are my main gripe with the whole game. It's absurd they thought it was a good idea. I've never seen worse menus and options in my entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom