• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a (sort of) fun time-waster for us. So let's say that between K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo and Rayman only one of the four characters is actually in. Who do you feel is MOST LIKELY (not just your most wanted) and why do you feel that way?

There are some arguments to be made for any of the four. Some hold more merit than others depending on who you ask, but that's what makes the discussion enjoyable. :)

Edit- I'll add my opinion after a few others, so as not to skew anyone else's theories.

Neiteio

I have a (sort of) fun time-waster for us. So let's say that between K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo and Rayman only one of the four characters is actually in. Who do you feel is MOST LIKELY (not just your most wanted) and why do you feel that way?

There are some arguments to be made for any of the four. Some hold more merit than others depending on who you ask, but that's what makes the discussion enjoyable. :)
Mewtwo, easily, EASILY.

- Mewtwo is already a fully functional character who was in Melee
- Leftover data on Brawl suggests he was planned for Brawl
- He's more topical than ever thanks to two Mega forms in X/Y

backlot

Edit- I'll add my opinion after a few others, so as not to skew anyone else's theories.

Mewtwo because he's the only one that's actually been playable in the past.

ffdgh

Mewtwo since he was in melee already and esentally got cut because of time constraints.

SmithnCo

Mewtwo. Has a history with Smash, already has a moveset they can work from and is still quite popular.

Tan

wait wat? the drummer from the band Van Halen plays smash? lol

uz4ZBAa.png

Clov

I'd say Mewtwo. He at least seemed to be planned for the previous game, and already has been in one. Arguably he's the most popular character out of all four, and he has a pretty big fanbase that wants him back. Might just be my bias though; as much as I'd love Ridley or K. Rool in, I'd rather get Mewtwo back.

Cody_D165

Banned

I feel like Ridley and Mewtwo are both pretty likely and would generate hype beyond our wildest dreams. Sakurai has constantly teased the Ridley fans without a direct disconfirmation for awhile now. And Mewtwo, the eternal fan favorite, has shot up in relevancy, been given a Mega Evolution, and remained a total badass. (there was also that Sakurai "we're thinking about it" tease awhile back)

K.Rool seems like a longshot and I frankly don't see Rayman ever becoming playable (although I definitely would not object to it.)

Makai

King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Rayman
Ridley

In that order

King K. Rool, easily. Mewtwo already had his chance, and the other two have already been deconfirmed. I know GAF hates him, but he'd add some much needed diversity to the roster.

-Horizon-

And I have the translations! ;)

Little Mac:
  • Neutral Special: Straight Lunge - charge to build power and release to dash forward while attacking, protected with super armor while charging and when performing the attack
  • Custom Neutral 1: Firespin Lunge - envelops opponent in flames while lunging forward, charges quickly but is relatively weak
  • Custom Neutral 2: Shock Lunge - fully-charged punch will stun opponents, travels great distance but Mac will flinch if hit while attacking
  • Neutral Special FInisher: KO Uppercut - build KO gauge by attacking opponents and taking damage, able to unleash attack when gauge is full
  • Side Special: Jolt Haymaker - hops forward and slams his fist down on the opponent, can leap over some projectiles
  • Down Special: Slip Counter - unleashes a counterattack if struck right after performing the move
  • Up Special: Rising Uppercut - travels upward while striking the opponent, can also be used as a means of recovery or moving about the stage
  • Final Smash: Giga Mac - Mac grows large and receives a considerable power boost

And here's Rosalina & Luma:
  • Neutral Special: Luma Shot - fires Luma forward in front of her, charge to increase power and distance traveled
  • Side Special: Star Bits - Luma shoots out three star bits directly in front of him/herself, low-power short-range projectile, recommended to try hitting the opponent with all three to maximize potential damage
  • Down Special: Gravitational Pull - draws items and projectiles toward her, makes it easy to hoard items, projectiles will hit opponents
  • Custom Down 1: Catch & Release - draws opponents close then blows them away, unable to pull in items
  • Custom Down 2: Guardian Luma - Luma grows large for a moment to defend Rosalina, Luma is normally small and easily launched
  • Up Special: Launch Star - flings herself diagonally upward, does no damage but is helpful when recovering
  • Final Smash: Power Star - releases a star above her head that grows large and begins firing shooting stars in all directions, Rosalina is still able to move around and attack for the duration of the move

Noooooooooooooooooo :(
Very nice work as always :D

Odie_Esty

Ridley. Next to Samus he's the most recurring character in a series that has helped define nintendo, especially in the pre-64 era. None of the newcomers (except rosalina maybe) have been heavy, and Ridley's size offers some interesting challenges from a gameplay perspective.

Hatchtag

Banned

Ridley: Hinted at being a boss.
Rayman: First shown as a trophy.
K Rool: Not a word about him.
Mewtwo: "We're considering it."
I'd say Mewtwo has by far the best odds.

Juansho

Banned

King K. Rool. After not showing up as the main antagonist in some DK games, he would make a great comeback. Also, Donkey Kong needs a 3rd representative, and it would be really cool to have a villain of its series just like Mario and Zelda. A third Kong from the series would be boring, at least for me (fuck you dixie).

He also has lots of Alternate Costumes potential, and it would be fun to have another heavyweight character on the roster.

Ridley... I just don't know how he could be made into a fighter after showing up as a Boss on SSE.

Mewtwo.. Too many pokemon, I think with the inclusion of Lucario and Greninja, he just doesn't have any more opportunities (also Jigglypuff should be the most reasonable pokemon left to announce)

Rayman... We already have three 3rd party characters (Sonic, Pac Man, Mega Man). They should save him for the next game or as DLC.

Tripon

For the competitive scene, if custom moves are better than the default ones, there's going to be a lot of push to use them in tournaments.

VandalD

Mewtwo deserves to come back. I don't even like playing him. I like playing Lucario though. Obviously, the reason for that is that they're different characters, and Lucario should have never outright replaced him.

Clov

I think K. Rool is a great, fun antagonist, and would really want him playable. I don't think he's the most likely, though. There's other characters I think would get in before him.

The bit that went "I know GAF hates him, but he'd add some much needed diversity to the roster" made it sound like it was a desire more than an expectation

It's both, trust me. :p

I thought Mewtwo would be a shoe-in until Greninja was revealed, but now I don't know what to think. Be it Dixie or K. Rool, I fully expect to see a DK newcomer. Dixie has relevancy on her side, while K. Rool has everything else. If I had to make a guess based on the roster so far, I think Dixie is more likely. :/

Neiteio

It's both, trust me. :p

I thought Mewtwo would be a shoe-in until Greninja was revealed, but now I don't know what to think. Be it Dixie or K. Rool, I fully expect to see a DK newcomer. Dixie has relevancy on her side, while K. Rool has everything else. If I had to make a guess based on the roster so far, I think Dixie is more likely. :/
Dixie was apparently planned for Brawl, based on leftover data. Basically, my stance is, if it's a character who was previously in a Smash Bros. game or who was planned for one, they have a much higher chance of being in a new Smash Bros. game than another character (in this case, Mewtwo and Dixie have a higher chance than Ridley, K. Rool or Rayman).

Makai

For the competitive scene, if custom moves are better than the default ones, there's going to be a lot of push to use them in tournaments.
It depends. Brawl tourneys might have nerfed Metaknight by forcing him to use less spammable alternates. Though generally, normals and general properties are what make characters good or bad.

1. Mewtwo. They seemed to want him in brawl, but placed him as a low priority and ran out of time. If they have the chance adding him back seems likely. Probably also has the widest public exposure by a hundred fold out of the four if they're taking popularity into account.

2. Ridley. The tease in the direct seemed bizarre. It makes me think that however Ridley is being handled in the game, it is somewhat unique and not just a normal stage boss. It could still be a highly unique stage boss, though.

3. King K Rool. Not relevant to any recent game in the franchise, not iconic enough to be a Smash-based retro revival. It also seems like his popularity is a ridley-level thing: tiny niche vocal fanbase. I wonder if my lack of exposure to the original dkc games compromises my perspective on this one.

4. Rayman. Sakurai isn't afraid to do incredibly weird things, but I can't imagine him revealing a trophy of a newcomer without going all the way.

Neiteio

Think back to Brawl. Krystal vs. Wolf.
If you think back to Melee's intro, etc, Sakurai probably had half a mind to include Wolf well before Krystal was even a thing.

Now consider Dixie, who Sakurai began designing and implementing in Brawl. I think it's more likely he'd salvage his work there and finish her character, than start from scratch on K. Rool. Especially since K. Rool is not even an active character anymore, while Sakurai would've known Retro Studios was adding Dixie Kong to Tropical Freeze when he began working on SSB4.

SmithnCo

Dixie would be a really cool Diddy Kong alt. Does she do anything different than him?

Hair attacks, and bubblegum gun

She would probably be a clone at least, I could see her bubblegum gun having slow-down properties and obviously she'd have her trademark hair helicopter.

Definitely Mewtwo, since he's had playable precedence in Smash and "we're thinking about it." Ridley and Rayman are out and I don't consider K.Rool likely at this point.

Neiteio

I can't see Dixie being a clone of Diddy. She'd be her own character. Her ponytail twirl and helicopter spin are far different than anything Diddy has, and are key to her character. Sakurai wouldn't include Dixie if he was going to leave out her defining features.

The Mean

Neo Member
I can't see Dixie being a clone of Diddy. She'd be her own character. Her ponytail twirl and helicopter spin are far different than anything Diddy has, and are key to her character. Sakurai wouldn't include Dixie if he was going to leave out her defining features.

Both of those gameplay concepts are similiar to Rayman's stretchy arms and helicopter hair.

Just sayin, if anything Dixie Kong is an alt costume for Rayman.

Toxi

Banned
Hair attacks, and bubblegum gun

She would probably be a clone at least, I could see her bubblegum gun having slow-down properties and obviously she'd have her trademark hair helicopter.
You could just be creative and make new moves. It's not like the two pink puffballs are clones.

I'd personally like to see Dixie as a character based around her hair helicopter. Maybe it could be something like Peach's float except you slowly descend... Think Marvel vs Capcom Storm.

Makai

You could just be creative and make new moves. It's not like the two pink puffballs are clones.

I'd personally like to see Dixie as a character based around her hair helicopter. Maybe it could be something like Peach's float except you slowly descend... Think Marvel vs Capcom Storm.
Yeah they are. Very similar normals, especially in 64.

Neiteio

Speaking of scrapped Brawl characters, it would appear Plusle & Minun were another one. I don't know if Sakurai would've anticipated Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire when he finalized the SSB4 roster, but I'd love to see P&M. Essentially Pichu x Ice Climbers, where their attacks power up when they're together.

28ltaxg.jpgigoiw.png

Juansho

Banned
Speaking of scrapped Brawl characters, it would appear Plusle & Minun were another one. I don't know if Sakurai would've anticipated Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire when he finalized the SSB4 roster, but I'd love to see P&M. Essentially Pichu x Ice Climbers, where their attacks power up when they're together.

After what happened with Pichu, I just don't wanna see any more Pikachus look alike.

Clov

I'd rather just have Pichu back, though it would have been neat for sure.

SmithnCo

For Dixie I could see:

Up-B- Helicopter
B- Bubblegum gun
Side B: Some kind of hair grapple or whip
Down B: Maybe a gum trap

For Side-B it would be similar to how Diddy latches onto opponents, except she pulls them rather than launches at them. So not really a clone but similar concepts.

There are probably more creative movesets out there though.

Rayman is obviously playable you guys.

I will eat all limbs available if he isn't.

I'd say its 50-50 obviously. I fell for Sakurai's tricks before. I wouldn't be shocked either way.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm indifferent with Rayman.

Dixie would be a really cool Diddy Kong alt. Does she do anything different than him?

I don't really want to see Dixie being Diddy's clone since she have a lot of potential with a moveset. Hopefully Sakurai would pull it through with her in the future.

SmithnCo

28ltaxg.jpgigoiw.png

It would be interesting if their attacks "combine" when they are together, and they are weaker when apart. Like one calls red thunder, and the other blue, and together they would form a multi-colored thunder that is stronger.

Neiteio

Here's a fun question:

Perhaps someone could pull up the article, but there was one interview where Sakurai established that internally, the 3DS version is SSB4 and the WiiU version is SSB5.

Not too long ago, Bandai-Namco posted a hiring notice for SSB6. It was promptly taken down. Some here speculated it might've been a typo referring to a Soul Calibur VI.

But let's say it really was SSB6. How would you feel if Nintendo took a page from Capcom with regards to the successful Street Fighter IV series, and introduced a Super/Ultra/Ultimate-style update a year later?

And if Nintendo did release an "Ultimate Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Ultimate Smash Bros. for WiiU," what kind of content would you want to see added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom