• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Sakurai doesn't care about quotas, in this case type lineups or gen representation. There'd have to be an interesting gameplay hook to Sceptile. Sakurai wouldn't force him just to meet some arbitrary quota.
It's funny, the interesting hook to Sceptile in Pokemon is that it's a fast grass type (who tend to be slow as shit), but in Smash there are plenty of fast fighters, so it doesn't stick out in the same way.

Neiteio

I love Sceptile's design, but I really doubt Sakurai would force him just to have a final-form Grass-type to go with Charizard and Greninja.

Actually, one final-form Grass-type I think would be really neat is Serperior. He has a prehensile tail, so he could technically grasp items, etc. The idea of a limbless fighter that writhes and coils across the battlefield is just really appealing to me. He could conjure up leaves in different formations to batter his enemies. I bet he'd look really sleek all glistening in HD, too.

It'd be nice nod to Gen V, like N's Castle, but yeah, not expecting it!

Odie_Esty

Sakurai doesn't care about quotas, in this case type lineups or gen representation. There'd have to be an interesting gameplay hook to Sceptile. Sakurai wouldn't force him just to meet some arbitrary quota.

Well gee, had I only used a word like 'if' to point out I was speaking hypotheti- OH WAIT.

GreenLiquid

Neo Member
I know that thinking about things in terms of just representation kind of misses the point, but am I the only one here who really wants to see some Pokémon Mystery Dungeon representation in the new Smash? I don't think there's a single trophy or sticker pertaining to that series in Brawl, and there would be some great stage and music choice possibilities from those games. There might be some licensing issues with whomever they get the Mystery Dungeon name/engine from, though. I'd really like to see it, though!

Toxi

Banned
Serperior is a cool design and it'd be interesting seeing how a limbless fighter could work in Smash, but Jesus Gamefreak, you still haven't given us the ability to have it with Contrary and that pisses me off.

Neiteio

I know that thinking about things in terms of just representation kind of misses the point, but am I the only one here who really wants to see some Pokémon Mystery Dungeon representation in the new Smash? I don't think there's a single trophy or sticker pertaining to that series in Brawl, and there would be some great stage and music choice possibilities from those games. There might be some licensing issues with whomever they get the Mystery Dungeon name/engine from, though. I'd really like to see it, though!
You wanna get nuts with Pokémon spinoff representation? Then let's get nuts.

Todd in the Zero-One, from Pokémon Snap.

Run over your enemies. Deploy pontoons to smack them into the abyss. Jet-thrust their faces. Pelt them with Pester Balls and Bait. And at the end of each match, you can hop over to a separate menu, Todd's Photos, and see shots that were randomly taken during your last match playing as Todd. Keep what you will.
And print out stickers at special stations Nintendo will set up at Best Buy

Hatchtag

Banned

I'm actually just of the opposite opinion, I hate Mystery Dungeon lol. I'd rather have Snap, Stadium/Collosseum, Hey You Pikachu/Pokemon Channel, or the puzzle games get repped. Although Snap and Stadium both have been repped before, though.

GreenLiquid

Neo Member
You wanna get nuts with Pokémon spinoff representation? Then let's get nuts.

Todd in the Zero-One, from Pokémon Snap.

Run over your enemies. Deploy pontoons to smack them into the abyss. Jet-thrust their faces. Pelt them with Pester Balls and Bait. And at the end of each match, you can hop over to a separate menu, Todd's Photos, and see shots that were randomly taken during your last match playing as Todd. Keep what you will.
And print out stickers at special stations Nintendo will set up at Best Buy

Wasn't there a Zero-One trophy in one of the Smash games? Maybe I'm just misremembering for some reason. But man, forget about Todd as a character in Smash -- I want a new Pokémon Snap for Wii U! Gamepad's perfect for that D:

Toxi

Banned
Wasn't there a Zero-One trophy in one of the Smash games? Maybe I'm just misremembering for some reason. But man, forget about Todd as a character in Smash -- I want a new Pokémon Snap for Wii U! Gamepad's perfect for that D:
Melee had a Zero-One trophy.

Neiteio

It's kind of a bummer that the way Pokémon are currently set up in Smash, you can't fight as any of the human trainers.

Because if you could, I'd be irrationally advocating Elesa against all odds:

tumblr_m43n9rhZVS1qe9j8vo1_500.gif

tumblr_mbro399DB61r2k1m8.gif

Toxi

Banned
It's kind of a bummer that the way Pokémon are currently set up in Smash, you can't fight as any of the human trainers.

Because if you could, I'd be irrationally advocating Elesa against all odds:

tumblr_m43n9rhZVS1qe9j8vo1_500.gif

tumblr_mbro399DB61r2k1m8.gif
I thought you'd be more of a Skyla fan. Elesa's not even wearing any boots.

If there's a Gen 3 rep the signs are point to sceptile. Then we'd have full evolutions of each of the starter types, and Sceptile would be a good middle weight to Chairzards heavy and Greninja's light. He also has a newly introduced mega evolution.

Personally I don't like Sceptile but he'd fit the role pretty well.
The ideas of representing every gen and starter type don't have any basis outside the internet's imagination. It's much more likely we get neither a grass starter nor gen three mon

Neiteio

"If" there's a Gen 3 rep, I'd sooner expect Blaziken (due to his extra promotional push in X/Y, and the gameplay hook of high-flying jump-kicks) or Plusle & Minun (due to the work started on them for Brawl, and the gameplay hook of powering up their attacks when they're together).

Brawl96

"If" there's a Gen 3 rep, I'd sooner expect Blaziken (due to his extra promotional push in X/Y, and the gameplay hook of high-flying jump-kicks) or Plusle & Minun (due to the work started on them for Brawl, and the gameplay hook of powering up their attacks when they're together).

Blaziken is a no brainer IMO.

Videoneon

I also love Serperior. Snivy FTW. Too bad he was eh in game.

If there were that many Nintendo fans bad with money, the Wii U would be doing minimum Gamecube numbers.

Yes I mostly agree. Except for the Wii U costing more but anyway Smash has already established itself in most minds as not being an iteration-type game and pulling something like that now will not go smoothly.

The following is purely an example -- the characters could obviously be different depending on how SSB4 shakes out.

With that said, imagine:

An update to the WiiU version, released 12-16 months later, in the spirit of Super Street Fighter IV or Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

(Neiteio's original ideas, cut for space)

------

I think people would probably buy it. They could lower the vanilla version's price to sell the new version for the full $60 at retail, while offering it at a lower price on the eShop as a DLC update for those who want to "upgrade" from vanilla.

Would this hurt overall sales, or sell more overall? I don't know. How has Street Fighter fared as a whole?

First, I don't think that there are any must-have newcomers among your list. Inkling maybe, but no under-represented franchise like Advance Wars or Golden Sun or something to make it really stand out. Plusle + Minun and Tetra is really not high up there. I would also think that additional Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda reps would draw irritation from a not insignificant portion of the base

Beyond that, it just sort of looks like content bloat. This is definitely an idea geared more towards the casual player IMO, contrary to how iterations of Capcom games are usually meant for the hardcore. Ten additional characters (bringing the roster likely to the 60's, Ten-ish accounting for six newcomers and a couple Brawl cuts + Mewtwo,) 50ish Stages total?

That's another problem IMO. That's a lot of development time and money for an expansion that's going to sell at a lower price. And I really don't think the audience for an expansion is a foregone conclusion. Even the progression of added content throughout the SF4 series was more conservative between each one.

K. Rool needs to be a clone of Rosalina & Luma, with his crown replacing Luma.

If this actually happened, as much as I would be happy to see K.Rool I would have a hard time not laughing. Then I'd be irritated about half an hour later.

Oh god, I feel so grimy now.

Neiteio

I've said it before, but one character I'd really love is F-Type, from Stunt Race FX. He's the red vehicle, seen below:

cover_largejdkky.jpg

I'm not sure how he'd hold items, but picture how cool it'd look seeing him trundle along, expanding and contracting cartoonishly, spewing fire from his tailpipe or dropping oil slicks or flashing his headlamp "eyes" to dazzle opponents. And of course when he hydraulically jumps into the air, he can tumble to and fro, "tricking" through the sky. I picture him popping his hood or tilting his spoiler to launch enemies, swinging open wing-like doors, and dashing along with the same joyful "thrum" as Wario's motorcycle.

Ahhh, it'd be so cool!

Toxi

Banned
My favorite Yugioh monster was always Relinquished.

Note that I didn't actually watch the TV show, I just liked Relinquish because he was in that preconstructed deck someone tried to teach me the game with.

Forkball

It's August 3rd. That means SSB4 comes out in exactly two months for the 3DS in America. Man, I can't even imagine waiting that long. I truly pity those who will not have this game on September 13th. I'm here if any of you need to grieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom