• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Miiverse Update Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
If for some reason the extra characters on the Wii U version pans out, here's how I can see it working:

- SSB3DS owners can link to SSBWii U and unlock or download the characters for free.

- SSB3DS only players can purchase the characters separately in a small pack for a certain fee.

Yep, though I would think it would work like that for both versions. It would be weird for the Wii U to get all characters by default if the 3DS didn't.

emb

It's not really free if you only had intentions to get one version. I don't think it really matters to most of us here though.
I forget sometimes that people would not have (or at least plan to have by launch of Smash) both systems. We've had over a year to save up for this.

I'm not going to believe anything about more characters without solid evidence. At the very least a reason to trust whatever the guy said. Spainkiller said one thing about his credibility and it was something that could easily have come from connecting the esrb leak to the earlier one

Fuck it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

Yes, I'm sure that the four most long awaited characters are not in the base game and are waiting to be unlocked through a connectivity feature we know nothing about. Like, seriously? Especially Ridley, who has been deconfirmed time and time again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you realize you are playing with a lot of people passions now, and say this because you really trust that source of yours...

He's playing with the future of his account, that kind of post can get you banned if your info ends up being wrong.

IAmArique

Neo Member

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

That... Actually sounds reasonable.

Guesong

They could easily "unlock" more characters by linking the two versions together OR crossbuy DLC of some sort.

I mean it's not outlandish to think that if you don't have a WiiU, you could still get these characters for a price but if you do link them, it's free. (Well...you had to buy the WiiU version, so it's "free").

Time will tell.

Personally, I expect nothing but will be pleased if true. I think the roster is the most interesting we have, alot of newcomers have very unique designs and while it is sad that we are still stuck with Falcondorf and very clonish clones, I think the positives far outweights the negatives.

Cube1701

Neo Member
If there are any characters that Sakurai is keeping hidden for the Wii U version, I think that they will more likely be free DLC for the 3DS than gained by linking the two versions.

Fiktion

Banned
The roster is so close to perfect. Just bring back the cuts as DLC, throw in Mewtwo and Ridley and it's GOAT. Everyone would be sucking all the dicks for that.

tumblr_nbr1iqjXTj1qhbar8o1_1280.png

Entire Roster (+ a few alts, still need to do more alts)

Come on, man. Ridley was one of THE most requested characters. It's easy to say now that the 'other boss characters will appear' reveal was only ever exactly as it read, but there was a layer of ambiguity there. I don't think that can really be denied?

Oh, it can. There was really nothing ambiguous about it behind 'hey, hardcore people fans of this niche series might recognize this shadow.'

If for some reason the extra characters on the Wii U version pans out, here's how I can see it working:

- SSB3DS owners can link to SSBWii U and unlock or download the characters for free.

- SSB3DS only players can purchase the characters separately in a small pack for a certain fee.

That seems fair to me.

Come on, man. Ridley was one of THE most requested characters. It's easy to say now that the 'other boss characters will appear' reveal was only ever exactly as it read, but there was a layer of ambiguity there. I don't think that can really be denied? Sakurai should have known better than to think people wouldn't read more into that, and I still think if that wasn't his intention he should have revealed it properly in a POTD like he did with Ghirahim so people could have started accepting it a bit sooner.

It's not like this is a small group of people dude. The Smashboards Ridley thread has like 90 thousand posts? Ridley discussion here was never ending. It should not have been allowed to go this far imo.

yeah and the Geno thread back in the Brawl days had a ton of posts too

so what?

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
I am not playing with people's passions. I am not trolling. I am merely sharing information from a source who has been doing so for almost a year now.

On a side note, Nintendo of Europe is probably getting review codes for European journalists by the end of next week, according to an email I received a few hours ago :) That will include yours truly. Yay!

GamerJM

Banned
Are there any unused avatars? Can I use alts of characters already used?

Also I'm really interested as to what the ROB unlock method is, match number or not.

NotLiquid

I'm sorry, even if your friend isn't trolling you or not.

Ufbr5ej.gif

Because the 3DS version clearly states "The true All-Star Mode is unlocked" when everyone is unlocked. I would love to be wrong, but let's be real here.

I really don't think characters that are additional content factor into base game unlockables.

KHlover

Banned
You're thinking too small. We should have Smash threads filling the entirety of the front pages of all 4 sub-sections of the board.

one thread per costume :p
one thread per custom move
one thread per equipment piece
one thread per cosmetical piece
one thread per game mode
one thread per stage
one thread per omega form
one thread per trophy
one thread per assist trophy
one thread per pokeball
one thread per challenge
one thread per sound test file
Did I miss something? Anyways, go for ALL 37 pages

Are you willing to leave in exile should you be proven wrong?

jorgejjvr

So if rob has been unlocked, did the you got all characters messaged appear? is all star unlocked?? Is it 100% officially certain that rob is the last character to unlock?

LDAF

DP6W68n.gif

Dr. Mario at least has elements of old Mario that have since been missing (the tornado and down bair I believe). He's also got quite a cool intro and a clever variation on Mario's FS. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Dark Pit, whose model is almost exactly the same as Pit's while having only VERY minor changes other than a unique FS.

That's what puzzles me about Dark Pit's inclusion. They gave him a unique final smash but no significantly new moves? In addition, they don't bother to give, say, Falco a new final smash? Why does Dark Pit as a clone get a different final smash, but Lucina/Falco keep the same? (This is coming from a Falco main, I'd rather he have a new FS than Landmaster again, but oh well.)

Kandinsky

After seeing DHD/Jr. today

1.-Bowser Jr.
2.-Shulk
3.-DHD
4.-Robin
5.-Megaman
6.-Pacman
7.-Villager
8.-WFT
9.-Palutena
10.-Pittoo
11.-Lucina
12.-Mii Fighters
13.-Rosalina
14.-Little Mac
15.-Greninja

Holy shit, we got 15 newcomers, amazing.

He is more visually interesting than Dark Pit at least. Dark Pit is a recolor of Pit.

I'd say Dark Pit is a more justifiable clone than Dr. Mario, to be quite honest.
Unlike Evil Ryu or whatnot, Dark Pit is NOT the same person as Pit. He's... a literal clone. He has a completely different personality and is considered his own character.

It's only for this reason that I'm okay him being a clone. I'm fine with all 3 clones we got, though, to be honest. I will admit it's strange that Alph isn't a clone though, considering they have his whole model put together. Guess Sakurai didn't wanna tweak the way he fights.

The Lamp

The roster is overall great.

The disgraceful thing is a handheld platform crippling the potential of a console game, and therefore possibly sacrificing Ice Climbers in the name of parity.

But through Popo and Nanas deaths, we gained so much. <3 Bowser Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom