• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Nice, good time!

awesom neorice!

Fucking glorious!

So who was the chump that called him before me again?

WOW I think this may be your best spritework for the Smash Bros cast.

Fantastic Job! I wonder who shotgunned for Dedede since I don't mind to steal it for myself XD. I think someone did tho.

One of your best work.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm actually very proud of him!

Not sure who called him though but they're lucky, this sprite's right up there with Bowser for me in terms of quality.

1412669_570063913068347_521223574_o.jpg

Don't tell me that's not a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reference.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The ribbon on the ring canvas looks like it may say championship on it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For some reason, my UK press access, as well as that of several friends, stopped working a few weeks ago. We're still waiting for a reason. As such, I don't have access to them atm

Thanks for the pictures! It's amazing to see more pictures of Zelda and Dedede.

Gotta say, I was never the biggest Dedede fan in Brawl but I'm a huge fan of his updated character model. It looks fantastic. I doubt it'll get me to use him any more in Smash 4 than I did in Brawl, but I'm happy for the Dedede fans around here. I always felt he was one of the less-popular Brawl newcomers, so I was sort of wondering if he'd get axed. Glad he didn't!

Truth be told, though, I wouldn't mind if Meta Knight did. Dedede is generally a more important character in the Kirby series than Meta Knight is, and his being so overpowered in Brawl kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about him Smash-wise.

There's something else that's been bugging me, though -- and I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death, but bear with me -- and that's Yoshi. The more I think about it, the weirder it is that he's the only one out of the original Smash 64 eight that didn't get shown at the initial E3 reveal last year. I mean, what reason would Sakurai have to only hold him back, other than intentional trolling (which would, in all fairness, be a good enough reason)? It just doesn't seem like there's anything special enough about him -- being one of the original eight -- to warrant holding him back for almost a year after the initial reveal (assuming he gets revealed along with Yoshi's New Island's release).

So given all that, I'm wondering if we're looking at a real possibility that he's been cut. There are just as many reasons to believe he hasn't been, of course, I just find this whole thing weird. Maybe he was the only one of the original eight that didn't have enough in-game work done in time to show him off for the initial reveal?

Anyway, like everyone else, I'm expecting Diddy (assuming he hasn't been cut) or a Diddy/Dixie tag-team next month with DKC: Tropical Freeze. Kinda doubt we'll get standalone Dixie or Cranky as newcomers.

Beyond that... who knows? Since there aren't any major character game releases for awhile after that, we'll probably get sudden, surprise/random Ness and Captain Falcon veteran reveals like we did with Peach, Zelda, and Marth.

JoeM86

Gotta say, I was never the biggest Dedede fan in Brawl but I'm a huge fan of his updated character model. It looks fantastic. I doubt it'll get me to use him any more in Smash 4 than I did in Brawl, but I'm happy for the Dedede fans around here. I always felt he was one of the less-popular Brawl newcomers, so I was sort of wondering if he'd get axed. Glad he didn't!

Truth be told, though, I wouldn't mind if Meta Knight did. Dedede is generally a more important character in the Kirby series than Meta Knight is, and his being so overpowered in Brawl kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about him Smash-wise.

There's something else that's been bugging me, though -- and I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death, but bear with me -- and that's Yoshi. The more I think about it, the more weird it is that he's the only one out of the original Smash 64 eight that didn't get revealed at the initial E3 reveal last year. I mean, what reason would Sakurai have to only hold him back, other than intentional trolling (which would, in all fairness, be a good enough reason)? It just doesn't seem like there's anything special enough about him -- being one of the original eight -- to warrant holding him back for almost a year after the initial reveal (assuming he gets revealed along with Yoshi's New Island's release).

So given all that, I'm wondering if we're looking at a real possibility that he's been cut. There are just as many reasons to believe he hasn't been, of course, I just find this whole thing weird. Maybe he was the only one of the original eight that didn't have enough in-game work done in time to show him off for the initial reveal?

Anyway, like everyone else, I'm expecting Diddy (assuming he hasn't been cut) or a Diddy/Dixie tag-team next month with DKC: Tropical Freeze. Kinda doubt we'll get standalone Dixie or Cranky as newcomers.

Beyond that... who knows? Since there aren't any major character game releases for awhile after that, we'll probably get sudden, surprise/random Ness and Captain Falcon veteran reveals like we did with Peach, Zelda, and Marth.

Yoshi will be revealed when Yoshi's New Island or Yarn Yoshi is released this year. Relax :)

DaBoss

Interesting how they gave the fur part of his coat a fur-like effect:
lChzGHz.jpg

And it seems to work lol:
srhK0d0.jpg

b20Av6p.jpg

Anyone know if this is an existing animation?
The closes thing I can get to that in Brawl is a taunt with Din's Fire, but there were no sparkle-like effects and there was fire in between her hands.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
jvuoWb7.png

I can't get over how much better the art style is in this game. The brighter colors and personality make a HUGE difference!
Wow, I forgot how Brawl's model looked like. The use of the colors make him look a LOT better in this. Not to mention I like the fact he has some facial expressions. The cartoony style really works for him.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Probably, yeah! I just find the whole situation strange. Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see. :3

Strange enough, Yoshi was last 64 veteran to be announced for Brawl as well. I'm not sure how long we had to wait for his announcement.

The closes thing I can get to that in Brawl is a taunt with Din's Fire, but there were no sparkle-like effects and there was fire in between her hands.

It's Din's Fire taunt with Pit's Up B special effects. You can see Pit's wings in corner of the picture.

TunaLover

I've been playing Tales of Symphonia DotNW, and I wonder if Nintendo will allow Namco to include Lloyd. Seems to be the most iconic Namco character in Nintendo platforms, aside Pacman.

KHlover

Banned
Interesting how they gave the fur part of his coat a fur-like effect:
lChzGHz.jpg

And it seems to work lol:
srhK0d0.jpg

b20Av6p.jpg

Anyone know if this is an existing animation?

My guess: Feathers are from Pit's Up-B and Zelda just started her taunt. Would totally be like Sakurai to throw us off like this.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We just got NA release date for Yoshi 3DS, but Sakurai usually follow Japanese release date so I guess we can safely guess when we will get Yoshi's reveal.

Jan 21 - ?????
Feb 13 - Diddy Kong
March ?? - Yoshi

R0ckman

Bugs me to hell that the character models are so inconsistent in quality. Dedede and Marth look awesome, Bowser and Link look like shit.

Caladrius

As someone not as familiar w/ jojo as some, can you explain? Is the pose similar to a jojo pose? Is it just that DK is acting as a stand for samus? Can you provide some image references?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is known for the many... creative gestures that feature throughout.

cover.jpg

Zelda's looks like one of the poses featured in the top left in particular.

Bugs me to hell that the character models are so inconsistent in quality. Dedede and Marth look awesome, Bowser and Link look like shit.

Bwuh?

Link looks ok, so I don't really have an opinion on him....however Bowser looks fantastic in this game.

So far, the art style of this game is fantastic and is far and above better than Brawl. (I won't comment on Melee art as I never owned a gamecube and tried to play Melee after Brawl, and I just couldn't do it)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Say whaaa? Bowser's model is fantastic. The only characters I have problems with at the moment are DK, and that's a texturing problem and not a model problem, and Link.

Poor Link. That model is so bad.

Top Bottom