• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

Village

WIP

2IWaME9.png

Fun fact: the raw SAI file for the image is 119mb big and attempting to un-resize it after resizing for export as png crashes SAI from using up too much memory. I'm gonna have to upgrade the memory usage size as Sakurai releases more characters.

Oh my.

Well good luck, I was just gonna do a huge one in the end.

Real talk: Pokémon will have Lucario representing fourth gen, Genesect representing fifth gen, and Mewtwo with Awakened Form transformation representing sixth gen. It almost makes too much sense.

Also, if they intending the Pokémon trainer to be representative of anything other than the first gen, they would have made him more representative in Brawl.

Moonlight

Banned
Good always triumphs! Cynthia for smash2014
assist trophy at least
I will be sad if this is not the case.

WIP

2IWaME9.png

Fun fact: the raw SAI file for the image is 119mb big and attempting to un-resize it after resizing for export as png crashes SAI from using up too much memory. I'm gonna have to upgrade the memory usage size as Sakurai releases more characters.
Fucking awesome, Jintor. I can't imagine how impressive it'll look once we've got every character in the roster out of the way. And I really have to say that I adore the colouring on this.

They should replace him with Wind Waker Ganondorf.
This would be ideal.

Grizzo

So do you guys think Ness and Lucas will be there ? I think Lucas is goner. I absolutely adore Mother 3 but let's face it, he's not really popular, is he ? Plus we already have Ness. They should add Poo or Paula (if they're looking for a new female character).

ash_ag

WIP

2IWaME9.png

Ah, that's great. It reminds me of AbyssWolf's work back in Brawl. Hope that guy returns too.

You make each of those separately, right? Maybe you should contact whoever has taken up SSB4's OT to make for an excellent OT with original GAF content. ;)

Revven

They should replace him with Wind Waker Ganondorf.

It'd be the only way to make Ganondorf with a sword moveset unique; simply because he has two swords instead of one. However, I very seriously doubt Sakurai will do it...

A swordless Ganondorf that focused on magic attacks would be even sweeter, though.

Kokonoe

Banned
I am not going to be fully satisfied until I get a Ganondorf with the Ocarina of Time last boss Final Smash.

My favorite, or at least in my top 3 favorite final villains in video games.

Pineconn

I'd be down if they replaced Ganondorf with (SS spoiler)
Demise
. Ganondorf is a lame copy of Captain Falcon, after all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You can't honestly saw that the first time you played brawl you didn't think that Lucario felt like Mewtwo. It's like Ryu/Ken level. You can paste a different skin over it but seriously...

Not at all actually. Hell, him being actually useful to play as unlike the weirdness of Mewtwo's physics should be a hint :p

Four characters per franchise. It's as simple as this. Lucario didn't replace Mewtwo, but Mewtwo didn't fit at the roster when the more popular and current at the time Lucario was added. You could as well say that Red replaced him, but would that be true? Pokémon Trainer was a unique feature character, while Lucario was essentially Mewtwo's successor as the cool, fighter-esque Pokémon smasher.

Whether or not Lucario will return depends on how big a roster Sakurai wants to make. We do know Sakurai doesn't like cuts and he will hopefully add an additional position for each franchise -- but as it stands, Lucario is the weakest link of the Pokémon roster and the most likely to be replaced.

I honestly think Pokemon should be one of the franchises, Mario aside, that should be exempted from that supposed rule. It's very big.

I was thinking Zoroark might replace em, but 6th gen is launching now...so who knows o_o

Zoroark already lost that position during Gen V. Zoroark got replaced by Lucario!

PK Gaming

WIP

2IWaME9.png

Nice one man, I love how you colored it in.

NeonZ

Captain Falcon and Gannondorf are totally different.

Fox and Wolf are.... totally different.

Ryu and Ken are Totally Different

I think we're looking at something closer to Marth vs Ike though. Wolf has almost completley unique A attacks, but his B attacks, although also differentiated in both animation and mechanics, all had clear similarities to Fox's - Blasters, Reflector, Foward Rush, air rush attack. Ike has a charged attack for a B attack, although it's completely different from Marth, and also a counter attack, aside from that, they're completely different.

Then we get to Mewtwo vs Lucario. Both have a chargeable energy ball, but that's pretty much where their similarities end. Teleport vs fast movement, a deflector/attack that spins the enemy around vs short range palm blasts, a stun attack vs a counter attack. They're closer to Marth vs Ike than Fox vs Wolf.

His forward special should shoot a ball of energy out that travels forward. Link would be special in that he could hit the ball back with his sword, and Ganondorf could hit it back with his fists and they could volley with it, every back and forth making it bigger, faster and more powerful.

One of the most iconic boss fight tropes in Zelda and it's never used in Smash :(

-Horizon-

Real talk: Pokémon will have Lucario representing fourth gen, Genesect representing fifth gen, and Mewtwo with Awakened Form transformation representing sixth gen. It almost makes too much sense.
I can see Mewtwo coming back as Mewthree or whatever like he can change forms in battle or however it'll be.

But why does 4th gen and 5th gen get slots? Why doesn't 2nd or 3rd?

And is Lucario really that popular? Serious question.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ganondorf needs to be even more different.

Overhaul his moveset to incorporate various attacks from the Zelda games, while keeping some his iconic moves from Smash Bros.

I'd love to see a different moveset for Ganondorf. No need for another sword wielding character, but I always thought Ganondorf should be a bit more floaty (I mean, he hovers around quite a bit in games), and be able to shoot his energy balls.

I wouldn't mind seeing some unique Ganon transformation too. After 100% damage, he automatically transforms, moving from a medium weight character to a much heavier weight. Something like that.

DaBoss

So do you guys think Ness and Lucas will be there ? I think Lucas is goner. I absolutely adore Mother 3 but let's face it, he's not really popular, is he ? Plus we already have Ness. They should add Poo or Paula (if they're looking for a new female character).

I think Ness is going to stay for sure. Lucas is definitely gone. I don't think they will put any more Mother characters.

remz

It's the biggest shame that Ganondorf, with such a varied amount of attacks and appearances across Zelda got relegated in Smash to being fatass captain falcon with purple fire.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I can see Mewtwo coming back as Mewthree or whatever like he can change forms in battle or however it'll be.

But why does 4th gen and 5th gen get slots? Why doesn't 2nd or 3rd?

And is Lucario really that popular? Serious question.

Lucario is very popular on any level you can think of. With the general audience, in the competitive scene, in merchandise. There is a reason he was chosen.

Kouichi

God damn I can't wait until the new season starts. I think Bazza said he might be letting Ganondorf try the singles route while the Dragonball Arc plays out.

Haha same. I've been waiting for the Dark Lord's return.

The new ring stage confirms that Sakurai watches VGCW

I'm not sure. I see Lucas staying with Ness.

How popular is he in Japan?

TWILT

Banned
WIP

2IWaME9.png

As awesome as always, Jintor.

It's the biggest shame that Ganondorf, with such a varied amount of attacks and appearances across Zelda got relegated in Smash to being fatass captain falcon with purple fire.

it was either a clone or he wasn't in Melee

honestly I'm kind of torn. On one hand, he was a good addition to an underrepresented series in Melee (seriously... Zelda had 3 characters!?).
But on the other, had he waited to appear in Brawl like Dedede, he might have been a lot more unique.

He very much deserves his place in the roster. He's the main villain in one of the best known, most loved series ever made. He's also one of the evilest characters Nintendo has, a villain that's actually evil and serious.

Codeblue

But he can boot you off the stage and it's hilarious every time.

DaBoss

it was either a clone or he wasn't in Melee

honestly I'm kind of torn. On one hand, he was a good addition to an underrepresented series in Melee (seriously... Zelda had 3 characters!?).
But on the other, had he waited to appear in Brawl like Dedede, he might have been a lot more unique.

He very much deserves his place in the roster. He's the main villain in one of the best known, most loved series ever made. He's also one of the evilest characters Nintendo has, a villain that's actually evil and serious.

Zelda series has 4 characters.

Kouichi

Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone was always the oddest thing about Melee's roster. He must have been a rushed addition.

Hopefully Sakurai gives him the Zelda inspired moveset he deserves.

Zelda series has 4 characters.

In Melee, had there been no clones, Zelda would have had 3 characters, 2 of which were the same character slot.

Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone was always the oddest thing about Melee's roster. He must have been a rushed addition.

Hopefully Sakurai gives him the Zelda inspired moveset he deserves.

All the clones were rushed (except Luigi). They had some time and wanted to pad the roster out a bit, so they looked for characters with similar body types as other characters in the game.

-Horizon-

Lucario is very popular on any level you can think of. With the general audience, in the competitive scene, in merchandise. There is a reason he was chosen.
I find that kind of surprising.
So then I guess he does have good chance of making it into Smash 4.

NeonZ

I think Ness is going to stay for sure. Lucas is definitely gone. .

I think Lucas is only getting kicked out if there aren't any characters with similar movesets in this game, and I just can't see that happening due to Luigi. Even if he gets the poltergeist, they aren't going to design his moveset entirely around Luigi's Mansion to make him completely different from Mario and Luigi himself in all mainline games (Luigi without a fireball and jump?).

Let's not forget that no "clones" or "similar" characters have ever been part of Smash's standard cast too, so we likely only will know for sure about their take regarding that type of character when we get the full character line up leaked due to the game's launch.

Edit: Well, alternatively, I guess he might be kicked out if they do stick with 35-40 characters, without increasing the roster size at all.

I think Sakurai made Ganon a clone because he was running out of time with Melee and it was all that they could do.

Now he's stuck because he probably thinks people will hate a Ganon that doesn't control like how he used to and there's also a significant number of people that will hate Ganon if he doesn't change.

Kouichi

All the clones were rushed (except Luigi). They had some time and wanted to pad the roster out a bit, so they looked for characters with similar body types as other characters in the game.

True, but at least the movesets they cloned were from characters in the same series and made sense.

Ganondorf cloning Captain Falcon was just odd, despite how cool Ganondorf was in Melee.

Edit: Though, he couldn't be cloned from any of the other Zelda characters. I guess a CF clone is better than nothing.

Ryce

Sakurai counts Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon as separate characters, so when people say things like "Brawl has 35 characters" or "Brawl has four Pokémon reps," that isn't entirely accurate.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Huge attention to detail on megaman

In the 2d Sprites he shoots w/ his left arm when facing right, but the sprite flip means he shoots with his right arm when facing left.

In Smash bros fo(u)r, he does the same.

Photo from Dojo.

photo from dev diary video.

I love everything about Mega Man.

Codeblue

I think Ness is going to stay for sure. Lucas is definitely gone. I don't think they will put any more Mother characters.

I don't think Lucas is going anywhere. They only have like two moves in common and he there's not better option for a second Mother rep.

Top Bottom