• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 3: Ridley's Believe It or Not!

Berordn

It's possible it was mistranslated, and maybe he just meant that it was proving to be a complication or that it would require a lot more work than anticipated.

It was basically confirmed that it was a mistranslation gone crazy. The fact that we've gotten two characters that work in tandem with multiple models should confirm that he was just talking about extra work involved.

Wait

Y5FWRbx.png

Why is she outside the arena

Timeaisis

Agreed. What the fuck is that thing? Heck I think I'd take Fat Mac over that thing.

Pls Sakurai, no Fat Mac

Yess....yesss. This is perfect. Your avatar has sent a message. There's no turning back now.

It's possible it was mistranslated, and maybe he just meant that it was proving to be a complication or that it would require a lot more work than anticipated.

Mis-translation blown out of proportion, if you ask me.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yep. It's also why all the "wahh Ice Climbers" stuff I'm seeing on the net is so weird.

Ice Climbers: Genei-jin or Seiei-enbu from Street Fighter 3
Rosalina: Character & their Stand in JJBA; Carl Clover or Relius Clover + their puppets in BlazBlue

clone clone clone clone clone clone clone death to clones

They need to change the title to Super Mario Smash and Friends honestly. Instead of celebrating Nintendo's history we are celebrating marketing. I guess that's what is making me nervous about this version. But they reeled me in with Villager and Mega Man :(
LOL

Thores

screen-10.jpg

doesn't rosalina & luma confirm the ice climbers were never a limitation on the 3ds to begin with?

Most people interpreted Sakurai's statement about having trouble programming "two simultaneous characters" applied to the Ice Climbers, but I always figured he meant transformation characters like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. Remember how in Brawl there'd be a short loading time whenever a character transformed? Imagine trying to deal with implementing that using the 3DS' (slower?) processor.

justchris

screen-10.jpg

doesn't rosalina & luma confirm the ice climbers were never a limitation on the 3ds to begin with?

Or possibly, they discovered a workaround for the problem, and then proceeded to make this character based on that, and maybe that also means a Fire Emblem Awakening character combo is now possible.

It does appear that Olimar carries around fewer Pikmin than he did in Brawl, though.

Berordn

I understand why they're doing that, but for others, I'm sure you can realise that we feel "left out" of sorts.

No, I can't. The characters work the same in both versions. Anything they show off from one applies to the other, so they pick the version with higher graphical fidelity.

The unique stuff, like the 3DS version's stages, get enough attention to show off their uniqueness.

SuperSah

Banned
No, I can't. The characters work the same in both versions. Anything they show off from one applies to the other, so they pick the version with higher graphical fidelity.

The unique stuff, like the 3DS version's stages, get enough attention to show off their uniqueness.

Gameplay would be nice y'know, considering a large majority own 3DS'. I know they're marketing the better looking game, but 3DS coverage is weak.

We haven't even seen a single item for it yet.
Yes, I am constantly complaining, I am aware, but for a game which I'm supposed to drop cash on for, I should be expecting a little more.

Neiteio

Most people interpreted Sakurai's statement about having trouble programming "two simultaneous characters" applied to the Ice Climbers, but I always figured he meant transformation characters like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. Remember how in Brawl there'd be a short loading time whenever a character transformed? Imagine trying to deal with implementing that using the 3DS' (slower?) processor.
That's an interesting theory.

EDIT GOES AT TOP OF POST BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT:

NOW THAT IT WAS SUGGESTED I WILL BE BROKEN-HEARTED IF ONE CHARACTER ISN'T A FIRE EMBLEM TAG-TEAM REP.
So yeah it's gonna be "issac is an assist trophy and not playable" all over again.

They need to change the title to Super Mario Smash and Friends honestly. Instead of celebrating Nintendo's history we are celebrating marketing. I guess that's what is making me nervous about this version. But they reeled me in with Villager and Mega Man :(

What on earth is so different from other smash bros games? Out of the 4 newcomers, one is from a mario game. Galaxy = one of the most critically acclaimed games ever and the bestselling 3d mario= not a meaningful part of nintendo's history? It's not like the newcomers were GIANT MARIO, FIRE FLOWER MARIO, PAPER MARIO, CAT SUIT PEACH, AND VACUUM LUIGI or something absurd like that.

I mean you could argue that smash has always been pure marketing but that doesn't seem like what you're saying.

Berordn

Gameplay would be nice y'know, considering a large majority own 3DS'. I know they're marketing the better looking game, but 3DS coverage is weak.

Yes, I am constantly complaining, I am aware, but for a game which I'm supposed to drop cash on for, I should be expecting a little more.

All those things will be identical in function to what's shown on the Wii U.

SuperSah

Banned
All those things will be identical in function to what's shown on the Wii U.

I doubt it. I'd like information on frame rate for example, control options (CPP?), 3D? etc.

I imagine they won't share many items, otherwise we'd of seen at least one in the Pic of the Day by now.

Mariolee

This is why I'm suspecting that the first game to be released will probably be the Wii U version, then a few months later the 3DS version will come out and give a second wind to the Wii U sales.

Berordn

I doubt it. I'd like information on frame rate for example, control options (CPP?), 3D? etc.

I imagine they won't share many items, otherwise we'd of seen at least one in the Pic of the Day by now.

We're still missing a lot of that information for Wii U. The game isn't even close to out, being concerned about specs this early doesn't mean much since they're all liable to change from build to build.

SuperSah

Banned
Well at least they could of gave us some more Rosalina pics. A full trailer and additional ten or so screens compared to a single screen isn't cool. :p

Oh well, I guess I'm impatient.

DaBoss

How so? The characters are hardly alike, especially when it comes to their "signature" moves".
Yea, but I would think they would let you switch between them for which one you control.

They would follow each other around and support each other like Ice Climbers.
That was due to RAM limitations and Brawl requiring things to be streamed from the disc, that's why the transformation time was variable. Even if the same limitations are in place, carts>>>>>>>>>dual-layer disc on the Wii in terms of read speed.

I don't think any of that info along with resolution is confirmed for the Wii U version either. They've only been showing the gameplay side of things.

Stulaw

Just a guess but wouldn't that have something to do with the load times? Grabbing the information from the disc and then swapping the characters in the RAM? I'm guessing the problem wouldn't be so bad with the Wii U having much more RAM, being able to store and swap the characters in the same space. The GC had really fast load times, but the Wii didn't with the double layered disc, hence my guess at how it works. The 3DS also has (slightly) more RAM than the Wii, and the cartridges should be (but not necessarily) faster.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait

Y5FWRbx.png

Why is she outside the arena

We all though this would have been the Little Mac stage but this new look...crowd is """realistic""" (in the sense: not stylized as in Punch Out on Wii, but real people), and, overall, it reminds me more of Tekken. Am I the only one?

Spinluck

This proves 3DS can handle dual characters.

Olimar is probably the only one who will get nerfed.

If he does indeed only have 3 Pikmin follow him, I think it'll have more to do with the fact that he was incredibly good in Brawl outside of having a shit recovery. Not much of a hardware thing, I could be wrong since Sakurai vaguely commented on the subject like he ALWAYS does.

TrueBlue

I'm looking forward to seeing what Rosa's Final Smash will be, there's loads of possibilities.

Maybe the Luma will turn into a massive Sling Star and launch Rosalina across the screen, knocking into people ala the Dragoon? It was sorta hinted at in the trailer.

Alternatively she could use the Observatory to wreck some shit, like in Mario Galaxy.

Or she could summon all the Lumas to dogpile the opponents.

Exciting times!

SmithnCo

We all though this would have been the Little Mac stage but this new look...crowd is """realistic""" (in the sense: not stylized as in Punch Out on Wii, but real people), and, overall, it reminds me more of Tekken. Am I the only one?

It's honestly hard to tell because they are as low-poly as possible. To me they would still fit fine with PO's design though.

Anth0ny

Sorry for all of the incoming GIFs!

A Luma is Born!
iihioTjSCNTJA.gif

I think that is Rosalina's Down-Special Neutral-Special (if it is Neutral-B, that would mean Kirby can use it, which is highly unlikely, so it is either Side-B or Neutral-B). My guess is that Rosalina's base attacks don't have a lot of range, and Luma will remedy that giving Rosalina a lot of range and versatility. And maybe using Neutral-B again will make the Luma go further away or come closer.

Launch Star!
idrQfG6jqhGSJ.gif
ibnzzSzIsc7R4z.gif

That is most definitely Rosalina's Up-Special (recovery). I think that it may be possible to use Luma to attack even though Rosalina can't do anything, but because she can't do anything and it seems Luma copies what Rosalina does, that theory is probably a bust.

Holy crap!
ibdhafQK2nbzDj.gif
iYVyKXWzKk8YE.gif

I think that is Rosalina's Neutral-Special Down-Special. Seems pretty crazy. Also has that Wiimote pointer like effect in the Galaxy games, which is cool.
Why it is a Down-Special:
i5260bO2OYGr8.gif

Meteor Smash!
iAJHf9EhVcLI2.gif

Dat ring. Rosalina doesn't have to make direct contact to hit someone with it.

Luma Helps Rosalina With Attacks!
iMcsuALFJqfUb.gif
iPD5LElSDx5Hi.gif

I think this was fairy obvious, but still pointing it out. Luma makes Rosalina's attacks stronger. The ring attack looks like an Up-Tilt Up-Air, while the other is a Down-Smash.
The second GIF shows her Grab and Throw, Up-Smash, and what seems to be her Forward-Air.
And as everyone noticed, Rosalina has mini Galaxy-like things appear.
Also, one woman/star WOMBO COMBO!

Luma Helps Rosalina Out Of Sticky Situations!
i1V9YzyVNVNBC.gif
iuryary1GBrRj.gif
iY5sGCbLBFzYM.gif

Seems like Luma is the real hero here. Taking dat charge shot to the face!

ihgREGwvNzrSb.gif

Goodbye Luma, you're a true hero keeping the Galaxy princess safe. ;(

Luma Attacks!
ieNpuofEgsCpW.gif

Rosalina sends Luma spiraling to the left, and then Luma finishes off
the evil
Villager using star bits to pop his balloons. And then goes back to Rosalina.

Luma Takes Down Evil Tree!
ibdNg0j9xbvTFG.gif

Luma takes down the evil Villager's evil tree! There is nothing more to this and is just here as a joke lol.
If you look at the mirror, you can see Wii Fit Trainer warming up to kick some ass.

Gallery Link: http://minus.com/mLZrPZXlbFNSR

Thanks to ffdgh for correcting the Gravity Field move.
Thanks to C.Olimar788 for correcting the Up-Air part.

Looks like she has a really unique moveset. Combo potential looks crazy, assuming the hitstun is there.

Also, DAT DAIR mmmmmmmmmm

Top Bottom