• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC |OT| Back to The DJMAX Roots - Now on PS4/XB1!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
From what I'm hearing, the first DLC pack is suppose to hit on Dec. 10th in....Korea, I assume? Perhaps sometime in Dec. is when we'll get the first DLC pack. Maybe we can get PM Studios to chime in on this.

Can't wait for this to arrive. After the slight disappointment that was Persona 4: Dancing All Night, I'm looking forward to a DJMAX successor (even if I'm likely not worthy of it due to my lack of skills). All I'll need after this is Taiko to complete the Vita trifecta.

Yasumi

Banned
Just got my game today, still waiting on the soundtrack. It really feels like DJ Max, and I love it. Just kind of wish you could use up+left/triangle+circle for 4 Trax, my muscle memory is messing me up hard. The control stick notes will also take a little while to get used to.

The limited edition came the other day. Looks great, loving the game so far. Only problem, I can't put the record back in its slot in the box. The square that is cut out for the record is too small and now the box can't close. I could have sworn everything fit when I first opened it. Am I just being an idiot?

The limited edition came the other day. Looks great, loving the game so far. Only problem, I can't put the record back in its slot in the box. The square that is cut out for the record is too small and now the box can't close. I could have sworn everything fit when I first opened it. Am I just being an idiot?

I have the same problem, but I'm also not completely certain it was ever in that tiny little slot to begin with. The box doesn't really have a locking clasp so I just closed it as best I could.

oggob

Half expected, but the Australian physical release was bumped back into December... so even longer delay than the Europeans.

Oh well, plenty to play until then...

Works well, though there are a few interface bits that require you to turn on touch emulation to access. Seems weird that not everything has a physical control.

At Anime USA we had a PS TV running the game with a Dualshock 2 connected to an inPin adapter. Still worked well! (Still on the lookout for a good wired controller that consistently works with the PS TV... the one I bought specifically for that purpose ended up not working out.)
Runs perfect on it.
Cool, thanks all.

Here's some gameplay I captured showing the basic differences between the song complexities (4TRAX, 6TRAX, and 6TRAX FX), which might be helpful to those wondering how they evolve.

It's on a low difficulty song, but other than doubling up on notes in harder songs (ie; holding the FX button and tapping circle while you do it - all with your right hand) it shows off the differences pretty well IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l0CMtyp5fs

Yasumi

Banned
Really getting into 6 Trax with touch. Curious what the patch is going to do. My one gripe is you have to swipe up and down in the specific lanes, which can be kind of difficult with faster songs.

I have the same problem, but I'm also not completely certain it was ever in that tiny little slot to begin with. The box doesn't really have a locking clasp so I just closed it as best I could.

Same. I don't think it was ever fit in there, I could be wrong, but it fits ok, just being on top of it.

Game is great tho. The year of the Rhythm game continues.

BTA

Still don't have my copy yet, since it arrived at my family's house and had to be forwarded to me, but I should have it by the end of the week. I haven't played a rhythm game like this since Project Diva F's Japanese release, so I'm really looking forward to getting back into things.

Bought the asian release of this game a couple of weeks back, no LE but it came with the 2 disc OST. Got around to trying it, and while the music is definitely on point, the gameplay is a pretty big departure from regular DJMax, and is more of a halfway point between DJMTT and a traditional rhythm game (Rock Band, etc). I also sorely miss the videos that play in the background, as the visualizer approach seems a little generic.

After trying several times to play with button controls, I transitioned to using the touch screen and have been having a lot more success... Hoping it keeps growing on me!

Hubb

From what I'm hearing, the first DLC pack is suppose to hit on Dec. 10th in....Korea, I assume? Perhaps sometime in Dec. is when we'll get the first DLC pack. Maybe we can get PM Studios to chime in on this.

Hopefully it doesn't take that long to start releasing DLC and hopefully once pack 1 is released, pack 2 follows quickly behind it.

pariah164

And now the waiting game begins for digital folks.

giphy.gif

Mandelbo

Really looking forward to this. Love DJMax Portable even if I'm terrible at it, and so far I've only really heard good things about this - the better pacing of unlockables is definitely music to my ears!

Pretty much sums it up. I enjoy Persona 4 Dancing All Night also but it has more than its fair share of technical mistakes that rhythm games shouldn't be making in 2015.

A bit off topic, but I haven't really been following P4D - what kind of problems did it have?

A bit off topic, but I haven't really been following P4D - what kind of problems did it have?

To make it short: the game has some charting problems due to an apparent engine limitation of only being able to place inputs on a 1/8 beat, and a scoring system ridiculously skewed toward full combos. It's also a 30fps at best game, which I think is a valid criticism but it's a problem a lot of music games on Vita share; XONiC and Technika Tune are two rare cases where they took the time to get the game to run at 60fps or close to it.

Mandelbo

To make it short: the game has some charting problems due to an apparent engine limitation of only being able to place inputs on a 1/8 beat, and a scoring system ridiculously skewed toward full combos. It's also a 30fps at best game, which I think is a valid criticism but it's a problem a lot of music games on Vita share; XONiC and Technika Tune are two rare cases where they took the time to get the game to run at 60fps or close to it.

The 1/8th note limitation seems... odd, at the very least. 30fps rhythm games annoy me too, since really with this kind of game the priority should be on ensuring smooth, accurate response times, rather than making it look pretty - very glad that Xonic runs smoothly.

I mean P4DAN is half rhythm game half fanservice, and it looks REALLY PRETTY. That's the point. So 30 FPS is okay there. The 1/8th note limitation isn't someting that bothered me at all, so I wouldn't call it a "technical mistake".

I mean P4DAN is half rhythm game half fanservice, and it looks REALLY PRETTY. That's the point. So 30 FPS is okay there. The 1/8th note limitation isn't someting that bothered me at all, so I wouldn't call it a "technical mistake".

If you're just going for a game that appeals to franchise fans with the rhythm game mechanica being the excuse for its existence, alright. The first Project Diva and Theatrhythm games were this way, decent at fanservice but mediocre at best as rhythm games. I think it's ideal if a game can provide the franchise fanservice as well as being a good rhythm game though, as the second Project Diva and Theatrhythm games were.

If you're just going for a game that appeals to franchise fans with the rhythm game mechanica being the excuse for its existence, alright. The first Project Diva and Theatrhythm games were this way, decent at fanservice but mediocre at best as rhythm games. I think it's ideal if a game can provide the franchise fanservice as well as being a good rhythm game though, as the second Project Diva and Theatrhythm games were.

P4DAN is a greath rhythm game in my opinion. Just saying that there was never a chance that it'll be 60 FPS with the graphics they were going for. And it doesn't really hurt the game at all.

The 1/8th note limitation isn't someting that bothered me at all, so I wouldn't call it a "technical mistake".

It's a problem in that some charts like “Signs of Love” (“Never More” ver.) are utter nonsense because of it.

Anyway, this is getting quite off topic. The Persona 4 Dancing All Night OT is this way.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gah, how is Boomerang not on the OST? Such a good song.
Wait, WHAT? It's not? So it's not even the complete OST? Maybe they didn't have the rights to put it on the disc, because it doesn't seem to be on the korean OST as well.

Messiah

Slight confusion about how fever works in this game. Is it active once the meter fills up or do I have to activate it manually?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I knew something was off about P4DAN, still didn't prevent me from platinuming it. Perfect timing for it since I got my Superbeat copy yesterday. The vinyl LE is a thing of beauty. Shipping to Canada was expensive af though since they charged me customs. 😣

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I need to unlock 5.1.5.0 in the game, because hearing it on the OST was soooo goooddd.

So....what DOES Fever do in this game? I see no difference aside from a bonus at the end of the song. I was hoping for a combo multiplier or something.......does this mean 99,999 is gonna be even MORE tedious now....

Tapejara

Really loving the game so far, though I think my tracklist preference goes to DJMAX Technika Tune. Also, I thought it was going to be easier to play with buttons, but the touchscreen controls work so much better.

Activates automatically and ends once you miss a note.

This explains why there are two types of shields! I was wondering what "Fever Shield" was supposed to do.

Already liking Xonic a lot more than P4:DAN, even though it's also way harder even on the basic 4BEAT mode. Like, holding notes on one side while tapping notes on the other side was something Dancing All Night didn't introduce until Hard mode, and I'm seeing them in moderate difficulty songs in 4BEAT Normal. Still trying to decide if I should do touch instead but 80% of my play is buttons right now.

One thing I'm wondering: is there some visual cue for the song's tempo? I noticed the edges of the screen pulse, but it doesn't seem to be in rhythm with anything and can't be used as a visual metronome.

Top Bottom