• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
man, those other 500K units must be in the same landfill in New Zealand the PS4 was dumped

bad jokes aside, good for them.

We need to keep that reference alive, that guy took delusional fanboy-ism to the next level. It was almost difficult to watch him being torn apart in that thread.

NPD threads in early 2014 were always glorious.

I expect people will still be buying on new hardware hype rather than specifically for a title like MK.

I don't see that there is a clear separation between the two, new hardware is nothing without the games to play on it.

Congrats to them, very good for Nintendo. A healthy Nintendo is good for the industry. Looking forward to adding to the number sold later this year

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This isn't accounting for digital sales.

If this is 100% true then it should really be in the OP. Seems Zelda was hard to get in some places, I nearly ended up going digital myself, so it would certainly account for a decent chunk of the other 11%.

Nairume

Banned
The Wii U had nothing between launch and Pikmin 3 8-9 months later. The Switch has Mario Kart in a month. It'll do better.
Well, it did have Lego City and MonHun, though I guess the former was a harder sell without the usual licenses tacked on it and the later also had a 3ds version.

If this is 100% true then it should really be in the OP. Seems Zelda was hard to get in some places, I nearly ended up going digital myself, so it would certainly account for a decent chunk of the other 11%.

I'm not 100% sure I suppose but I don't see how Superdata would be able to track digital sales. I don't think their numbers are coming from Nintendo.

Well, it did have Lego City and MonHun, though I guess the former was a harder sell without the usual licenses tacked on it and the later also had a 3ds version.

Sorry I meant nothing first party. First party wise the Switch's first year lineup is almost infinitely better than the Wii U's.

Shiggy

If true than the digital sales for zelda seem dissapointing you would think it would do better than that digitally. Seem like the physical to digital % is off.

Retail is significantly cheaper.

And their was people on gaf who said it would not do more than 500k first month. I or someone should make a crow thread later on.

Really, they couldn't have been serious lol
Even the Wii U did about 2 mio in its first month.

PSFan

Yeah, some people will re-buy I guess. I personally would find it hard to justify buying a game I already played just to have some new tracks and the DLC. But people do love remasters these days so who knows.

Didn't Nintendo already say there would be no new tracks in MK8 Deluxe? And let's not forget that you'll eventually have to pay to play it on online. I wonder how long they'll keep the WiiU MK8 servers running after the paid online launches?

jackal27

Banned
Hey that's great! Seems there's a lot of positivity around it too. I have people ask me about mine all the time, even folks who I didn't expect would be interested or know about it.

I usually tell them to wait until closer to holidays or when there's a price drop though. Still, I love mine and the 6 or so games I've been playing.

Plum

Didn't Nintendo already say there would be no new tracks in MK8 Deluxe? And let's not forget that you'll eventually have to pay to play it on online. I wonder how long they'll keep the WiiU MK8 servers running after the paid online launches?

There was no new content for GTAV (outside of the first-person mode) and, for PS3 owners, you had to pay to play online on PS4. What makes Mario Kart 8 different outside of the fact that it has new content (and portability)?

13ruce

Banned
This launch is more for the hardcore fans and lapsed fans with Zelda.

When Holiday hits with Mario and more that will be the real test if they are smart they bundle Mariokart in and Zelda by the time black friday comes and it will certainly sell like hotcakes.

Even more so if pokemon and smash port comes.
If they announce a few hype titles during e3 that would also help a big lot.

Also a potential 50€$ price cut around the holiday season would be smart but it will probably be the first game bundles.

There was no new content for GTAV (outside of the first-person mode) and, for PS3 owners, you had to pay to play online on PS4. What makes Mario Kart 8 different outside of the fact that it has new content (and portability)?

Well GTA V is a massive ip and a freak that sells like nothing else, I don't know how they compare really.

And adding fps combat to that is a huge change that shouldn't really be understated.

13ruce

Banned
I don't want to troll or anything but from my point of view, if FF XV can sell "5 millions", this Zelda should do more than 10.
But I guess sales are rarely fair when it comes to what I feel deserve more or less.

Hope Nintendo continues to bring amazing titles like this.

Zelda will surely sell around the amount of twilight princess and OoT (7-8m) 10m is possible i think and would be a nice achievement for Aonuma and co. They should release a GotY version after all dlc is out that will certainly help late comers (extra story and content + a hard mode in a already epic game wich makes it even a better deal)

People forget Nintendo's big Ips keep selling over the years especially Zelda and Mario games.

Oot is now at like 12m copies sold if you combine all version sales and Twilight Princess is nearing 10m.

Edit: Mario Kart will do fine i will be shocked if it does not atleast sell 4-5m copies through the switch lifespan. They should make it one of their first Ninty Selects tho then it will absolutely sell very good.

nynt9

Aditionally Splatoon is the only PG shooter on the market. Its going to be huge. B It already was a legitimate hit on the WiiU's install base. Now that its on desirable hardware. It could be another 10M+ Lifetime seller.

This sounds like crazy talk to me. Splatoon sold 4.7m on a system with 13m sales. That's a 36% attach rate. The switch probably won't reach 10 million units in at least a year from now. And WiiU had free online. If we preserve the same attach rate, for it to sell 10m units, we would need 30m switches sold, and that's unlikely to happen in the next few years.

it's been pointed out already but you have to say that a big bundle of a Switch with Mario Kart, Zelda and Mario would be a great proposition for Christmas. It just feels right. All those people who had the N64 and the SNES but fell away since...

Wow, GTAV is in a league of its own here man. It has sold something like 75 million copies which is bonkers. I'm not saying people won't double dip on MK8 but I wouldn't compare it to GTAV.

Plum

Well GTA V is a massive ip and a freak that sells like nothing else, I don't know how they compare really.

And adding fps combat to that is a huge change that shouldn't really be understated.

The best-selling Mario Kart game (Wii @ around 35m) sold more copies than most franchises sell in their entire lifetimes. The worst-selling Mario Kart (8) rivals, or even exceeds, the best-selling installments of the majority of franchises. Yes, GTA is massive and perhaps it wasn't as great a comparison; but I don't see why MK8D is being downplayed so much when the remasters of other games in much smaller franchises (Uncharted, Gears of War, Zelda, etc) faced nearly as much criticism.

As for the fps combat being a huge change, sure, but how is battle mode not?

This sounds like crazy talk to me. Splatoon sold 4.7m on a system with 13m sales. That's a 36% attach rate. The switch probably won't reach 10 million units in at least a year from now. And WiiU had free online. If we preserve the same attach rate, for it to sell 10m units, we would need 30m switches sold, and that's unlikely to happen in the next few years.
Why next few years? He said lifetime. That could be 5-6 years from now.

airborn

I am guessing 11% either bought 2 consoles or they could borrow botw from someone else.
Most of the prime time advertising I have seen has been centered around 1-2-Switch. I would imagine that's also attracting some casual buyers.

The best-selling Mario Kart game (Wii @ around 35m) sold more copies than most franchises sell in their entire lifetimes. The worst-selling Mario Kart (8) rivals, or even exceeds, the best-selling installments of the majority of franchises.

MK8 is not the worst selling Mario Kart

multiple platforms. its on 4 consoles , gets re released . not that weird. great game but mkwii sold 35 mil on a single system with no rerelease or hd version.

Right but in a conversation about the selling power of a remaster that's exactly the point isn't it? Hard to imagine anything selling like that so it's not the best comparison. That's all I was saying.

aBarreras

The best-selling Mario Kart game (Wii @ around 35m) sold more copies than most franchises sell in their entire lifetimes. The worst-selling Mario Kart (8) rivals, or even exceeds, the best-selling installments of the majority of franchises. Yes, GTA is massive and perhaps it wasn't as great a comparison; but I don't see why MK8D is being downplayed so much when the remasters of other games in much smaller franchises (Uncharted, Gears of War, Zelda, etc) faced nearly as much criticism.

do you work for polygon?

Well, we haven't really seen a console MP game ever keep growing for 6 years. So it's hard to make projections.
Don't forget this is also a portable game too. For all we know it could take off like Monster Hunter did in Japan when it switched to portables thanks to local multiplayer.

nynt9

Because no one tried to prop UC/Zelda remasters as system sellers on systems with otherwise very bare content.

Plum

Because no one tried to prop UC/Zelda remasters as system sellers on systems with otherwise very bare content.

Nobody if you don't include Sony and Nintendo themselves:

jpg

10848294-1834343855856378.jpg

PS4 got lots of criticism for shoving out remasters rather than new games early on and it was deserved then too.

Fps combat is a bigger change than battle mode, because fps is the go to game type for a large demographic of gamers. The millions of yearly cod buyers who don't want to buy any games that aren't shooting guns with ADS.

phanphare

Banned
PS4 got lots of criticism for shoving out remasters rather than new games early on and it was deserved then too.

Fps combat is a bigger change than battle mode, because fps is the go to game type for a large demographic of gamers. The millions of yearly cod buyers who don't want to buy any games that aren't shooting guns with ADS.

you should do a search for "proper battle mode"

Top Bottom