• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

PSFan

People usually wait for the release of game and them buy the console, idk why it should be any different with Splatoon 2

Actually, I think people will more likely buy it sooner if they know a sequel to a series they like is coming out on it. If Mario Odyssey wasn't announced for this year, I probably would have just gotten the Wii U version of BOTW.

I'm just saying it's too soon to tell what kind of impact Splatoon 2 will have on the Switch.

There's no point bringing our personal perceptions in that kind of discussion. Splatoon did really well in Wii U, it has a good fanbase. Same for Mario Kart.

Yeah, they did well on WiiU with people that already owned the system when it released. Neither title moved many new systems though.

nynt9

Anecdotally, it's gone beyond niche already. Zelda has crossed over. It's not gone as far as soccer moms or coffin dodgers but normal people who don't post about games on the internet are buying this thing already (or trying to).

True, Zelda has made an impact, but if that isn't followed up we'll be seeing a lot of second hand switches at Gamestop.

True, Zelda has made an impact, but if that isn't followed up we'll be seeing a lot of second hand switches at Gamestop.

Agree with that. We'll see if Mario Kart and Splatoon can hold the fort till Mario arrives. I'm guessing they are just about good enough.

I believe Splatoon's LTD in Japan is around 1.5 mil. Which is less than half of the 3.3 million WiiU owners in Japan.

I think by the time Splatoon 2 comes out, anyone in Japan that's interested in it will have already bought a Switch, so it may not move many new systems. It really remains to be seen what happens with that.

Yes because a 45% attach rate is super low....

jdstorm

Banned
Nintendo has lots of IPs to leverage going forward into 2018. Even assuming Smash, Pokemon and Retro's game come out this year.

2018 would still have Fire Emblem (mainline) Animal Crossing, Mario Party, Mario Maker, Mario Sports (Golf/tennis/strikers ect) Donkey Kong, Tomodachi Life, Kirby,
Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad 2. Mario+ Sonic at the Winter Olympics. Plus some new IPs, Paid Exclusives (Braverly 3rd ect) and things are pretty comfortable.

More New IPs or Reimagined old IPs (star tropics, Kid Icarus ect)

There are some solid system sellers in that group.

Neoxon

I think pokémon in any (mainline) capacity would crater the E3 convention hall, but beyond that they could do Smash and Retro's new game. Besides that, they have plenty of smaller IP that have a decent following: not every game announced has to be a 10+ million seller to be constructive for the system's appeal (especially Fire Emblem and Xenoblade come to mind, reasonable sellers but mostly a differentiator for the total lineup, creating some much needed diversity to pull in different niches).
Knowing TPC, they'd probably do the initial reveal via a separate Pokémon Direct prior to E3 like most of their recent mainline games (unless they throw a curveball). Smash 4 Deluxe & Retro's new project on the other hand seem like relative safe bets for E3 reveals.

PS4 has a much larger target audience.

This is pretty good for Nintendo
Lol. Lowered expectations?

I am curious what Switch customers who didn't buy Zelda have been playing since outside 1-2 Switch/Bomberman I'm not sure what else is out right now.

Neoxon

Nintendo has lots of IPs to leverage going forward into 2018. Even assuming Smash, Pokemon and Retro's game come out this year.

2018 would still have Fire Emblem (mainline) Animal Crossing, Mario Party, Mario Maker, Mario Sports (Golf/tennis/strikers ect) Donkey Kong, Tomodachi Life, Kirby,
Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad 2. Mario+ Sonic at the Winter Olympics. Plus some new IPs, Paid Exclusives (Braverly 3rd ect) and things are pretty comfortable.

More New IPs or Reimagined old IPs (star tropics, Kid Icarus ect)

There are some solid system sellers in that group.
If Smash & Pokémon come to the Switch this year, Nintendo could afford to save Retro's new game for 2018.

z0m3le

Banned

Mk8D is coming in a little over a month, ARMS quickly afterwards. People are largely treating the switch as a handheld too. Core gamers are going to want to see what Nintendo has at E3, this includes people who already have the switch and wondering if they should get rid of it.

E3 was always the most important event for this console, with hints that South Park is coming to the Switch earlier today, the flood gates for 3rd party announcements could be right around the corner.

Plum

Uh what should we call it? It's a port

Yes, it's a port, but it also has all the features of a remaster with new content; I've found that people calling it by the former almost always do so in order to discredit the game as nothing more than a straight carry-over. I searched for "Remaster" and only a few results down is the OT for the "port" of Resident Evil 5. Should they have used the title "Resident Evil 5 Console Port" instead? There is no difference between it and the "port" of Mario Kart 8 on Switch (well, the latter does have more content), after all.

People saying "well X game did nothing for the Wii U" conveniently forget what equivalent X game did on actual desirable hardware like the 3DS, DS, or Wii for example.

Anyone who doesn't think Mario Kart will help maintain the momentum is insane IMO.

Shiggy

I never once seen anyone call The Last of us PS4 a port

Maybe you simply ignored those articles, which were from the first page of the Google results:

The Last of Us Remastered is an action-adventure survival horror video game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. An enhanced port of 2013's The Last of Us, Remastered was released for the PlayStation 4 worldwide in July 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_Us_Remastered

It may only be an enhanced port, but with The Last of Us: Remastered, PlayStation 3's best game is now PlayStation 4's, too.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/07/28/the-last-of-us-remastered-review

Naughty Dog Explains Why They’re Handling The Last of Us’ PS4 Port
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-why-theyre-handling-the-last-of-us-ps4-port/

Or are you looking for NeoGAF posts in particular? How many would you want in that case? :)

nynt9

Mk8D is coming in a little over a month, ARMS quickly afterwards. People are largely treating the switch as a handheld too. Core gamers are going to want to see what Nintendo has at E3, this includes people who already have the switch and wondering if they should get rid of it.

E3 was always the most important event for this console, with hints that South Park is coming to the Switch earlier today, the flood gates for 3rd party announcements could be right around the corner.

Arms being a new IP is going to need to make a huge splash to get casual attention, and I've seen some lukewarm impressions. Surely people who already own switches will buy it, but I doubt it will move many units. Mario Kart is a mixed bag. It's a good selling point for casuals, but for enthusiasts it may feel like they don't need to rebuy a game they've already spent a lot of time with.

If anything gets announced at E3, it probably won't get released until fall in the earliest. That still leaves the system with a drought of like 6-9 months. Not a great situation.

For enthusiasts and Nintendo fans that might be good enough, but not for wide audiences. I think we should keep our expectations in check.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Arms being a new IP is going to need to make a huge splash to get casual attention, and I've seen some lukewarm impressions. Surely people who already own switches will buy it, but I doubt it will move many units. Mario Kart is a mixed bag. It's a good selling point for casuals, but for enthusiasts it may feel like they don't need to rebuy a game they've already spent a lot of time with.

If anything gets announced at E3, it probably won't get released until fall in the earliest. That still leaves the system with a drought of like 6-9 months. Not a great situation.

For enthusiasts and Nintendo fans that might be good enough, but not for wide audiences. I think we should keep our expectations in check.

Splatoon. Two. This. Summer.

tebunker

Banned
Quite good, should outsell my 6-7 million prediction by end of year.

I think if Nintendo could sell 7 million plus Switches in 10 months of shelf life they'd be ecstatic. 10 million would be perfect for them but 7 million would be ~ half the WiiU user base in 10 months.

I look at the Switch lineup purely from a Nintendo only standpoint & it is pretty clear we're getting 1 game a month, with what seems to be a couple of tent poles. So come June we should be getting the July - Eoy lineup. If they truly have games that were held back from WiiU it isn't unreasonable to expect roughly 1 game a month.

big_erk

All I want is for this to be a sufficient enough success to get an optimal level of software for the system and for Nintendo to continue to developing hardware in the future and this is a great the sign. The switch has been an excellent purchase thus far for me.

I'm loving the Switch so far. Granted, I've only purchased 2 games for it but those 2 games (BOTW and Blaster Master) are awesome. I haven't had any of the issues with desyncs or scratches and just installed a screen protector so scratches should be a non-issue. Well played Nintendo.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Actually, I think people will more likely buy it sooner if they know a sequel to a series they like is coming out on it. If Mario Odyssey wasn't announced for this year, I probably would have just gotten the Wii U version of BOTW.

I'm just saying it's too soon to tell what kind of impact Splatoon 2 will have on the Switch.

Yeah, they did well on WiiU with people that already owned the system when it released. Neither title moved many new systems though.

That make zero sense.

Plum

Hardcore gamers rebuy games all the time. If it weren't true we wouldn't have seen the sheer amount of remasters near the end of last generation into this one. People spent tens, if not hundreds of hours in both GTAV and Modern Warfare yet their respective remasters garnered massive attention (and sales) from mainly enthusiast fans, that is despite neither of those offering much brand new content out of the box. What makes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, an endlessly-replayable multiplayer game with quite significant new additions any different?

During last years forward earnings investor conference, did Nintendo say they intended to have 2m switch units at launch and 3m by the end of Q1 (March 31st), or 2m units by the end of Q1? I thought it was the former but I guess it could have been the latter.

Either way its 100% sell out of stock which is great, but the real test will be over the next nine months as units become available on shelves and we see how they move then, especially in the holiday period.

Timeaisis

I mean, those are really good numbers for what is ostensibly a soft launch in march. Here's hoping they can continue the momentum into the holidays.

Not a bad start. Could have been potentially bigger, but not bad for a console launch in March. I hope they can keep up the momentum and by the holiday season this year they have both a really good marketing push as well as enough of a supply to meet the demand if it does occur.

HMD

I was very tempted and extremely close to picking up a Switch, but I decided against it until Mario's release date. I wanted to make sure the console is actually successful and selling before I bought it. I hope the momentum holds up throughout the year until Odyssy, because if it does keep up then after Mario the system will be a guaranteed success.

And if you were wondering why I would give a fuck about sales numbers... I bought a Vita at launch.

jdstorm

Banned

I suppose it counts as a drought when you remove the 2 big system sellers on petty technicalities that make 0 sense.

Core Gamers will rebuy Mario Kart because its Mario Kart. Its one of the biggest (if not the biggest IPs in gaming) core gamers wont keep their WiiU around to play Mario Kart when they could buy a better looking version with more characters an active online community and a propper battle mode.

Nintendo never reduce prices so there is no incentive to wait for a pricedrop.

Aditionally Splatoon is the only PG shooter on the market. Its going to be huge. B It already was a legitimate hit on the WiiU's install base. Now that its on desirable hardware. It could be another 10M+ Lifetime seller.

I believe Arms will help those two and let's not forget that rumored Pokemon Stars.

Arms for me is total meh but I guess we'll see. Maybe it can tap into that Wii Sports thing. Pokemon would obviously be great but personally I'm not counting on it until it's announced.

I bought two Switches (one for me and one for my wife) but only one copy of Zelda. I'm tempted to buy a second so we can both play at the same time though.

Arms for me is total meh but I guess we'll see. Maybe it can tap into that Wii Sports thing. Pokemon would obviously be great but personally I'm not counting on it until it's announced.

Arms is clearly going for something closer to the Splatoon effect than the Wii Sports effect. I think folks are sleeping on that game, and not realizing that there's a lot more mechanical depth than something like Wii Sports Boxing.

If they play their cards right, it could be another Splatoon-style success.

Just got to keep momentum going now. We'll see how the rest of the year goes and what they have for 2018. I'm really interested in their E3 to see what they have planned into the future.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Probably those who did not by BOTW were scalpers/resellers. Or they just hate fun, but hay to each their own.

A 7/10 game isn't going to be for everybody.

Edit: I nearly left this comment up by itself, best not to take the risk nowadays......

Seems my edit wasn't fast enough.

KORNdoggy

What did Wii-U sell worldwide by this point? i think it had sold 400,000 launch week in the US, not sure about anywhere else.

Top Bottom