• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

border

I hope Sony takes notes on the negative reaction of the OR price point.

They're going to have their own completely unavoidable backlash at some point. The only company that has done a good job of managing expectations has been Valve/HTC....pretty much everyone expects that rig to be expensive.

Sony has tried by saying that the PSVR will cost as much as a new hardware platform, but even on this forum I've run into people saying "Well the Vita was a new hardware platform, and it was only $250!"

I suspect Sony will mirror Oculus by announcing a big price and try to offset it by bundling in a bunch of low-cost stuff that is meant to increase value (Move controllers, games). As with Oculus some people will respond by saying "Why don't they just take out the controller to make it cheaper?!"

At this point, the two priorities of everyone making VR headsets are:

A) Don't blow money at a completely suicidal rate

B) Get as many of their VR headsets into the hands of developers and consumers as possible

The part where they actually make money off of this shit comes later, once their respective brands have made a foothold in the market, there's a lot of VR content that people want, and they can make a good headset and pull a profit by selling it at a price the average person is willing to spend. This phase in a new market is generally what's referred to as the "land grab" phase.

The Vive has an opportunity to get ahead if it significantly undercuts the Rift, but I doubt it'll go for it. PSVR will probably hit $400 (though being $300, making it and a PS4 cost as much as a Rift by itself, would be fuckin' hilarious) partially because Sony can justify taking more of a bath on it and partially because it'll probably be cheaper tech than either of the PC sets, but that's not really going to cut into the Rift/Vive market.

Regardless, I don't think Oculus or HTC are going to be particularly concerned with making these things affordable to the "average" consumer until the average laptop integrated chipset can handle decent VR content.

Raonak

Banned
6 million Oculus Rift units sounds very optimistic. Especially considering the price tag and the requirement of a beefy PC.

demigod

We don't, but if Oculus is $600 then I really doubt Morpheus is going to be below or even at $350. The tech isn't that different that it could realistic explain such a price difference and I don't think Sony are in a position where they want to lose $100+ on each unit sold.

Dk2 cost $350 so i dont see why it wont be priced around there when Sony can get the parts for even cheaper. Anything over $400(base sku) means sony sent their vr out to die.

If the PSVR launches at more than $450, it'll be DOA.

That higher price point may fly with the Rift (barely) but the console crowd isn't going to play ball with that sort of cost. Hell, they might not even play ball with $350+.

border

Dk2 cost $350 so i dont see why it wont be priced around there when Sony can get the parts for even cheaper. Anything over $400(base sku) means sony sent their vr out to die.

I am hoping for a $400 PSVR and that's about as optimistic as I can be. At the same time though, I was hoping for Oculus to come in at $500 max, so clearly I'm not that great at determining pricing.

NolbertoS

Im glad GAF is full of millionaires, because I'm not touching this until it gets cheaper then a console. I'll see how the masses either embrace it or make Facebook and Sony run for the hills and heavily start discounting this to make it appeal. We'll see how VR does. I get the feeling that if Nintendo didn'y embrace this earlier( they're known to think outside the box more often than Sony and MS for gaming) amd yes virtual boy was eons ago, then we'll see if it DOA.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Can't see it being over $400. The components can't be that expensive to acquire/manufacture and anything higher than that is going to unnecessarily impede market growth. It's not like $400 would make it an impulse buy, but it wouldn't be beyond what early adopters are used to either. I don't think Sony's in a place right now where they're willing to risk FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS again, it just doesn't follow from their more conservative approach to hardware of late.

border

Im glad GAF is full of millionaires, because I'm not touching this until it gets cheaper then a console. I'll see how the masses either embrace it or make Facebook and Sony run for the hills and heavily start discounting this to make it appeal. We'll see how VR does. I get the feeling that if Nintendo didn'y embrace this earlier( they're known to think outside the box more often than Sony and MS for gaming) amd yes virtual boy was eons ago, then we'll see if it DOA.

Nintendo didn't really embrace online gaming until at least 2006....maybe 2012 if you didn't think the Wii's network services really cut the mustard. Expecting them to be ahead of the curve is crazy, since they are often the last to adapt to new technologies.

I think Sony will go for a lower price than most of us expect. They would be crazy not to, now the price of fhe Oculus has been announced. This is a great opportunity.

border

I think Sony will go for a lower price than most of us expect.

"A lower price than most of us expect" is kind of vague, considering that expectations range anywhere form $200 to $500. The Oculus pricing debacle is pretty much a huge win for them though, because now they can launch with a $400 asking price and look like heroes. A week ago they would have been murdered for asking that much.

A: We don't even know exactly what the tech is inside CV1 yet, or how it's affecting cost, let alone inside the PSVR

B: What we DO know about what's generally inside both of them shows that the tech IS actually quite a bit different. The CV1 has two screens at higher resolution than PSVR's single screen. That's probably a pretty significant price difference right there.

C: Sony MANUFACTURES hardware. It could potentially inherently be much cheaper for them to make the PSVR than Oculus, who's using custom made 3rd party hardware.

I'm not promising it'll be $350 or anything, but I think anyone who is promising that it'll be $500+ is just making shit up or assuming things that are likely not true.

I don't think we disagree here, as I said above I'm not saying PSVR is going to cost the same as a Rift, just that it'll end up being more than the console. My guess is $400 for the headset alone and $500 for a bundle of headset, camera and 2 move controllers. That's still a high price, but one that would make PSVR look much more consumer friendly than Oculus.

guessing $399 stand alone, $499 bundle (Camera+Move controllers)

Those are day 1 prices for me. If it gets above that then I may wait. Really depends on the games and honestly if No Man's Sky ends up being compatible I may pay whatever they ask.

While I would love for it to be less expensive I think it's a pipe dream and people need to set the proper expectations now.

LaronX

Neo Member
38 million units includes cardboard VR. Probably even the ones that where free for Consumers and already handed out, as well as dev kits and probably some other thing that isn't actually the PSVR or Oculus.

"A lower price than most of us expect" is kind of vague, considering that expectations range anywhere form $200 to $500. The Oculus pricing debacle is pretty much a huge win for them though, because now they can launch with a $400 asking price and look like heroes. A week ago they would have been murdered for asking that much.

exactly

Alx

The Oculus pricing debacle is pretty much a huge win for them though, because now they can launch with a $400 asking price and look like heroes. A week ago they would have been murdered for asking that much.

Which explains why all three companies were waiting to show their cards...
It's not really a comfortable spot for Oculus, it seems reasonable to believe that Sony will be cheaper and attract people bummered by the costs, and HTC will be more expensive "but does more things" and will attract the tech-enthusiasts.
They really should have released a consumer product while they were alone on the market...

I wonder when Sony will reveal the pricing. E3 would be the normal way to do it, but with such a nice assist from Oculus, maybe it would be better to reveal pricing sooner.

Fredrik

A price drop on PS4 bundled with PSVR for €599 might somewhat save VR, but anything above that means that VR will be niche products among a minority of core gamers until the next and hopefully cheaper iterations a few years from now. Rift at €699 is a joke.

My sense is that Oculus is getting totally worked by their component suppliers and manufacturing contracts. When Palmer Lucky walked up with his Facebook check ledger they all saw dollar signs and quoted him the sucker prices.

Sony, as a CE company with enormous experience producing displays, optics, semiconductors and ICs is in a position to produce their headset at a much more favorable price. I think they could easily come in a half the Rift MSRP. Hell, I bet HTC is probably feeling pretty smug that they'll be able to undercut Oculus, too.

Durante

My sense is that Oculus is getting totally worked by their component suppliers and manufacturing contracts. When Palmer Lucky walked up with his Facebook check ledger they all saw dollar signs and quoted him the sucker prices.

Sony, as a CE company with enormous experience producing displays, optics, semiconductors and ICs is in a position to produce their headset at a much more favorable price. I think they could easily come in a half the Rift MSRP. Hell, I bet HTC is probably feeling pretty smug that they'll be able to undercut Oculus, too.
I see no way in hell for HTC to undercut the Rift. Not with at least the same costs in the HMD, plus a state-of-the-art tracking system and 2 controllers.

Sony, well, obviously to some extent. One display vs 2, no audio, etc.

I wonder when Sony will reveal the pricing. E3 would be the normal way to do it, but with such a nice assist from Oculus, maybe it would be better to reveal pricing sooner.

They could do a completely PSVR centric event like the PS4 reveal in a couple of months I suppose. The general consensus seem to that it'll be out somewhere around the middle of the year, so E3 might be too late to sit on the big information dump with price and release date.

I think we can all agree that VR,no matter which system is not cheap...yet.Sony's will be the cheapest,I'd be shocked if its not.

I've personally been priced out of VR and my hopes are with Sony and Vive,and Vive won't be cheap as far as we know.My other problem is that I don't think there's that killer game yet,I may be wrong as not everything has been announced/shown as yet.

Basically I'm at the stage many of us are of wait and see.Unless you've jumped in for Occulus.

Alx

1080p@60fps is a must for a good VR experience ?

What is a must and what isn't is very subjective. On this very forum you have people who refuse any compromise and qualify anything under their standards as "unplayable", while others are fine with lower performances.

Actually I see it still working out in favor for Sony regardless of when they released the price because OR and Vive were always going to cost more. They are in a better position to reach more people with their solution anyway.

There have been 2 years of PSX where lots of people were able to get hands-on with PSVR. Especially this past one where it was more available. Not to mention E3, Gamescom and other events. It's already in the forefront of the public perception when it comes to VR. Hell, Conan O'Brian has played Morpheus in a segment in his show for E3.

I'm getting an OR (May waiting list). I'm an enthusiast, I built a PC for VR. I am the target audience so $599 was not a shock to me. $699 would have been a hard pill to swallow but I still would have done it. But I would be a fool to not see the potential that Sony has going into VR market. 2016 is going to be fun.

Just waiting on that announcement from Sony and I'll be there day 1 for that as well.

ViviOggi

What is a must and what isn't is very subjective. On this very forum you have people who refuse any compromise and qualify anything under their standards as "unplayable", while others are fine with lower performances.
30fps + bells and whistles any day of the week. What good is VR if it looks like a PS2 game.

harmonize

30fps + bells and whistles any day of the week. What good is VR if it looks like a PS2 game.
wait are you serious

VR is legitimately unplayable at 30FPS, at the very least it needs 60. this isn't regular framerate pedantry, 30 would make you nauseous

onQ123

GPU booster? More like an inexpensive ARM chip that aids in spitting the image into a separate stream for TV viewing. There's no way that little box has anything remotely powerful in it.

eFsJHNR.png

goonergaz

This is rediculous, just looking at OR vs PSVR - there are 3x the amount of potential customers and it will also be cheaper, but they expect 1/3 of the sales?

lol people get paid for this

Durante

In VR, framerate fluctuations are literally unplayable.

onQ123

The games look nothing like PS2 games & it's already been said that VR games need to be at least 60FPS & even then it should be scanned out at a higher frame rate.

RhyDin

I've gotten some pretty bad framerate on recent PS4 games such as Until Dawn, which has a VR sequel in development. If the PS4 itself has issues struggling with 30fps when attempting graphics that modestly compete with the PC, why do people here believe most developers will be able to balance graphics and framerate? Doesn't the game being output on the television screen simultaneously also tax the console dramatically?

I've personally only used cardboard and found it very fun, but I fear the number of quality titles (stable framerate, immersive graphics and more depth than a rental gimmick game) on the first iteration of VR on this gen of consoles will be few and far between.

Planet

Doesn't the game being output on the television screen simultaneously also tax the console dramatically?
Not if the display is just a mirror of the VR view, the perspective correction is done by the breakout box. Only if the TV output is a complete seperate view, like e.g. in PlayRoom VR with its party modes. That of course also has to be rendered by the PS4. And now keep that in mind, look at this and tell me it is butt ugly:

playroom-vr-sony-morp8is65.jpg

cat_05xoswq.jpg

The graphics are fine.

Slaythe

I've gotten some pretty bad framerate on recent PS4 games such as Until Dawn, which has a VR sequel in development. If the PS4 itself has issues struggling with 30fps when attempting graphics that modestly compete with the PC, why do people here believe most developers will be able to balance graphics and framerate? Doesn't the game being output on the television screen simultaneously also tax the console dramatically?

I've personally only used cardboard and found it very fun, but I fear the number of quality titles (stable framerate, immersive graphics and more depth than a rental gimmick game) on the first iteration of VR on this gen of consoles will be few and far between.

1) The dual screen thing does not add any strain on the PS4, the PSVR comes with a box that handles additional VR features like retroprojection and and transforming the video signal from the console (that you see on TV) into the VR video that you see

2) It is extremely easy to produce decent graphics at high framerates. It's all a matter of scope. Reduce model polycount, use new techniques (like software rendring, see DREAMS for instance), have stylistic graphics instead of trying to push for the bells and whistle that you see in the struggling games. Look at Kingdom Hearts 2, games looks stunning and yet those are ps2 assets. Talent of the artists and devs can make up for "raw beauty" of super HD things.

Planet

Reprojection is done by the PS4! Also the PS4 renders the VR view you know from e.g. Oculus Rift Screenshots. The breakout box takes one of the eye's view and transforms it so it is nicely viewable on TV.

I still think it will be 300$/€ standalone. 400 with the camera and two Move controllers included.

They don't need to make profit on the device unlike Oculus and can get some higher profit margin from the full package (which at the same time is still cheaper for the user than buying everything individually)

Top Bottom