• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

Servbot24

Banned
38 mil lifetime would be fantastic. In 2016 alone would be completely absurd.

Edit: my bad, missed the multiple platforms. 2 mil is realistic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
After the sticker shock on the Oculus Rift, I'm not sure why people still continue to hand-wave away how expensive VR is. "Oh it's just a bunch of pre-made parts and some plastic!" Just because something isn't custom built doesn't mean it can't have some pretty expensive components. And there's still the cost of many years of R&D on top of it all.

Sounds like the lenses and screen/s are the most expensive parts. Palmer saying that the lenses are quite significantly more advanced than the shitty cheap plastic lenses in early DKs - presumably to help with sharpness across the view etc. Plus the OR/Vive have more complicated mechanicals to adjust each screen position for IPD, whereas PSVR will be simpler with only one screen.

The gyros aren't 'just like in a smartphone'. If so, then gear VR would just use the phone gyros, but instead they have additional gyros in the gear VR for better tracking.

Let's take oculus at their word and say they really are selling at cost. That should recalibrate peoples' expectations for pricing on the other two headsets. Some wiggle room for oculus' lack of experience with hardware production etc.

There's such a wildly varying range this could cost, based on the statement that it'd be priced similar to a console.

I bought my Xbone for £430.00 with zero games and at the time felt it was worth the cost. I got my ps4, new, with 3 games, for £225.

It really depends how much people got their consoles for as that will be many people's benchmark.

Anything under £350 is an instant purchase, for me.

Freeman

Banned
299$ just for the headset and Bundles including move controllers and games for 399$.

This is the perfect place for a loss leader strategy. Sony is at a very good position to dominate if they are aggressive.

Ultimate 599$ Bundle including a PS4, just to stick it to OR.

Sony controlling the only storefront for their device give them a great advantage compared to HTC and OR. They can pull the rug under the competition just like they did with the Xbox 1 if they play their cards right.

gmoran

The cost for PSVR will be closer to $400, and my best guess is $349.

Oculus Rift have to pay for extra stuff, make some reasonable guestimates then add all that up (e.g. controller $35, Eve Valkyrie $20), and subtract from $600, then add in the PSVR extras (processing box, and I'm assuming camera--its too cheap not to), and that gives you a rough price. I make it $405. Try having a play around with the numbers.

Then adjust for increased volumes, not quite so high end and that Sony will regard hitting certain price points as more important than making a small loss, and you get closer to $350.

All back of a fag packet stuff, but certainly reasonable. I see no reason why PSVR, including the camera, but not the move controllers, will not retail for $350 or less.

I also expect a pack with move controllers for less than $400.

onQ123

I've gotten some pretty bad framerate on recent PS4 games such as Until Dawn, which has a VR sequel in development. If the PS4 itself has issues struggling with 30fps when attempting graphics that modestly compete with the PC, why do people here believe most developers will be able to balance graphics and framerate? Doesn't the game being output on the television screen simultaneously also tax the console dramatically?

I've personally only used cardboard and found it very fun, but I fear the number of quality titles (stable framerate, immersive graphics and more depth than a rental gimmick game) on the first iteration of VR on this gen of consoles will be few and far between.

Sony is smarter than you think, Games that are made for PSVR will take advantage of the fact that it's less pixels in the outer view of the screen so VR games will be optimized for the VR headset.

In VR frame rate is more important so that's where the devs will put more focus on.

wazoo

I've gotten some pretty bad framerate on recent PS4 games such as Until Dawn, which has a VR sequel in development. If the PS4 itself has issues struggling with 30fps when attempting graphics that modestly compete with the PC, why do people here believe most developers will be able to balance graphics and framerate? Doesn't the game being output on the television screen simultaneously also tax the console dramatically?

Looking at previews of DriveCLub VR, it is clear that graphical quality is second to framerate, for VR, which is good but quite new in recent console gaming (it was in the past).

onQ123

There's such a wildly varying range this could cost, based on the statement that it'd be priced similar to a console.

I bought my Xbone for £430.00 with zero games and at the time felt it was worth the cost. I got my ps4, new, with 3 games, for £225.

It really depends how much people got their consoles for as that will be many people's benchmark.

Anything under £350 is an instant purchase, for me.

I thought that statement was about the hardware not being sold to make money but to sell software?

Banned
What if I told you my aunt who works as a secretary outside Sony's boardroom told me "that VR thing is gonna cost $400"?

:p

hesho

is it bad that the first thing that popped in my head when i read the headline was...

"either a lot of rich ppl out there or a lot of ppl not using their money very wisely"

DryvBy

I'm down for a $400 VR helmet. That was my limit. I'll get a Sony VR for it as long as someone provides PC drivers.

Linkyn

I don't know whether this has been addressed, but, as we're getting closer to launch(es), I find myself surprised by the number of options that'll hit the market in the next 12 months. Even though I agree that VR is a way to go in the long term, I can't see there being a big enough market for half a dozen platforms at this point, and I would have expected more companies to perhaps sit back and see whether the time is here, yet. Surely, some of these companies have large enough existing user bases to wait and introduce their first VR solution within the second or third generation, so that they can learn from the successes and mistakes of the competition now. In many ways, current efforts feel a lot more like an exercise, acquiring familiarity with hardware / software development and device marketing / pricing / demoing, but I wonder whether that is worth the risk for everyone involved.

Start panicking

CYIUA6YVAAAAk32.png

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01A9ENM6U/

(definitely not a placeholder price)

"A lower price than most of us expect" is kind of vague, considering that expectations range anywhere form $200 to $500. The Oculus pricing debacle is pretty much a huge win for them though, because now they can launch with a $400 asking price and look like heroes. A week ago they would have been murdered for asking that much.

My guess was that most people expected it to be around the price of a new console. 200 is wishful thinking imo.

DavidDesu

I find it funny the disparity between US and British price thresholds for people. See a lot of talk that maybe £300 to £350 is the upper limit for Brits, and I'm one of those people too. That equates to about $450 - $520 after tax. Most Americans seem to want $400 or less.

At least if it is a bit more expensive than we're all hoping us Brits are prepared :p

Edit: I'd love £250 for a base headset without the needed extras, which I already have. do this and it's Day 0. £300 or more and it's Day "Once I save money and go on a cheap noodles diet for a couple of months".

Going by the increasing release wait on Oculus and the rate it's increasing at I'd be surprised if they can produce enough to fill half of the target for PC. I don't think Vive are going to be at a price point to fill out the other half of that goal though either, though really we don't know how any of that will play out yet. Vive was always advertised as premium but we don't really know what they are considering premium until they announce a price.

Honestly I wish we had a middle ground device for PC so more people can at least get a taste of it, myself included. If I knew this was the outcome I'd have ordered the DK2 when I had the chance.

I can definitely see the cheaper devices selling closer to their targets as people are clearly eager to see what it has to offer.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Frankly I'm amazed at the Rift price considering DK2 was what, $350 or something and the CV does not seem to be that big a leap for the cost

From the Oculus thread:

Impressions from CES

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zw8ta/ces_cv1_impressions_vs_vive/

Seems like

CV1 : Better display/optics
Vive : Better motion controls

Also

vBwIfGB.jpg

This is no cardboard VR.

599$ for best visual/optics in VR (you know... the most important aspect of immersion).

DK2 for comparison (350$)

ifixit-teardown-oculus-rift-dk2.jpg

Amazon ninjas just took the price off of the page. Now it looks like the others. Do they usually do that with placeholder pricing? I thought if it was a true placeholder they would just leave it up forever.
If they were getting a lot of requests for further information (emails/tweets etc) I can see why they would remove it.

jaypah

If they were getting a lot of requests for further information (emails/tweets etc) I can see why they would remove it.

Hell if I worked for Sony I would have had them on the phone immediately. That price is hilarious but ignorance would have spread it like wildfire.

Start panicking

CYIUA6YVAAAAk32.png

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01A9ENM6U/

(definitely not a placeholder price)

Gotta be a placeholder but it's kind of uncanny that it's exchange into US basically hits the $799 mark.

Actually, if I had to guess, I would presume that the price is meant to reflect some sort of bundle.

$800 USD would be just about $399 USD for a PS4 and $399 USD for a PSVR, which I think is a likely price scenario.

Put myself on the email list.

Actually, just based on this, I am confident in saying that PSVR will be $399 USD.

Edit: My post magically transported.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lol at people falling for placeholders.

6j9qpQK.jpg

What we really got instead.

b5E9II2.jpg

To be fair, at least that PSVR placeholder is somewhat reasonable, though on the high end.

PS4 bundles right now are listed at about $50 higher MSRP in CDN vs USD (449 vs 399). So there's around a difference of $776 Canadian if you subtract the PS4 bundle price (which right now converts to around $550 US). If that covers the headset, processing box, camera, and motion controllers, it's not completely out of line for that total $1225 CDN price to be possible for an uber high end PS4 + VR bundle. I think it's more likely to be at least $100-$150 USD lower than that though as the camera and motion controllers shouldn't add that much to the price. $550 USD after all is pretty much where the Oculus is sitting at.

Of course, if that listing is just for the VR stuff and not a console bundle, it's obviously completely wrong lol.

J-Rzez

Just so Sony is nice enough to sell the thing without the camera and wands I think we can expect a good price. They've profitted from each ps4 for some time now likely, this is their next defining jump into dominating the market, I expect them to break even or take a small hit here.

Though the price may have gone up a little with Rift coming in at that absurd price, allowing a higher price to still look more attractive. They said console pricing, I assume that means $300-400, which im fine with if it's quality.

border

I hope Sony can hit it out of the park on this one, but remain pretty skeptical. Other than the PS4 pricing, I feel like their asking price on almost all their other gaming products and services has been way off.

KalBalboa

Banned
I hope Sony can hit it out of the park on this one, but remain pretty skeptical. Other than the PS4 pricing, I feel like their asking price on almost all their other gaming products and services has been way off.

Vita was pretty rad and well below estimates.

border

Vita was pretty rad and well below estimates.

Vita seemed rad only because at the time the 3DS was priced at $250 as well. After what happened with the PSP I thought they would have learned not to aim so high. Not to mention that their business model seemed to revolve around selling a cheap handheld and then gouging the fuck out of you on memory card prices.

Top Bottom