• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SURPRISE! Black Ops III announced for PS3/360, no Wii U version planned

VGA222

Banned
AW never really felt held back by being released on 360 and PS3. The 360 version was pretty good too, but you could tell that it wasn't the target platform as the asset quality was worse than BLOPS 2.

let me know when call of duty is backed by a modern engine that impresses me even half as much as its contemporaries, and i'll give a shit about that it's cross gen then.

i'll be dead by then lol

casiopao

Awww sadness. I love playing blops2 locally with my friend here and hope that blops 3 would come to wii u.

Guess that's just a dream.T_T

Third parties don't need to worry about the trust of Nintendo fans, because they're finding success without Nintendo in the picture. It's staggering to think that some of the biggest third party games like Minecraft and GTA V have done huge numbers while completely ignoring Nintendo's hardware.

At one time this would've been unthinkable.

Given that in the 20 odd years and 10 or so releases the GTA franchise has not a single one has ever been released on a Nintendo home console I'm not sure what time where that would be unthinkable was.

The SNES?

kvCzKMg.gif

Mithos

Third parties don't need to worry about the trust of Nintendo fans, because they're finding success without Nintendo in the picture. It's staggering to think that some of the biggest third party games like Minecraft and GTA V have done huge numbers while completely ignoring Nintendo's hardware.

At one time this would've been unthinkable.

And that is exactly why they fail on Nintendo platforms, they feel they don't need to make an effort/give it their best, they are already successful on Xbox and Playstation, so lets just run an automated conversion program, and then fix a few things that might not work, then release (compared to the HUGE effort/support Xbox/Playstation versions get).

Oh how I wonder why their sales suck, and why they can't build any fanbase on a Nintendo platform.

Criterion and Treyarc have been in the few that seems to actually make an effort though, sadly other things ruin their games from being successful (support).

ascii42

If the ps360 versions approach HD resolutions at 60fps, I'm not buying the ps4 version, we need a COD that is progressive and simply cannot be played on old hardware. If the maps and set pieces are the same, and its just resolution variances that are not toooo bad, then what's the point of new hardware.

A game that uses 4+GB of fast ram, that runs on 256k of slow ram, was never designed to take full advantage of the new hardware.

Now, if ps360 is 30fps locked, and other map, player count and set pieces are sacrificed, then I'm back on the train.

PS3 CoD games have been as low as 544p, the Vita's resolution.

Let me ask you guys something

If I get a kickstarter started to get black ops 3 in the Wii u ported over, would you support it?

I don't know how much we'd need to raise. Maybe a million? Hopefully Activision or Treyarh creates it if they like my idea. Would be willing to put a $1000 down.

And by doing that, third parties are going to have a hell of a hard time to get back even if they want back, cos who's gonna trust them.

Get back to who? The 7 million people who own a Wii U and no other console, the subset of those who buy a significant number of third party games, and the subset of those who hold grudges over third party slights?

I'm sure they're worried.

And that is exactly why they fail on Nintendo platforms, they feel they don't need to make an effort/give it their best, they are already successful on Xbox and Playstation, so lets just run an automated conversion program, and then fix a few things that might not work, then release (compared to the HUGE effort/support Xbox/Playstation versions get).

Oh how I wonder why their sales suck, and why they can't build any fanbase on a Nintendo platform.

Criterion and Treyarc have been in the few that seems to actually make an effort though, sadly other things ruin their games from being successful (support).

A pretty good Call of Duty game came out at Wii U launch, it bombed, it's over. What changed between then and now?

Mithos

Get back to who? The 7 million people who own a Wii U and no other console, the subset of those who buy a significant number of third party games, and the subset of those who hold grudges over third party slights?

I'm sure they're worried.

And this is why they fail, this mindset. keep confirming what I mean.

Nintendo could hit lightning in a bottle next gen with NX and no one would buy thirdparty games even if they came back, because they might halfass it, or leave after a game, there are other games from other developers that will stick with it that deserve the money better.

GA pretty good Call of Duty game came out at Wii U launch, it bombed, it's over. What changed between then and now?

Let me know when great one comes, with as much support as the other platforms, then maybe.

And this is why they fail, this mindset. keep confirming what I mean.

Nintendo could hit lightning in a bottle next gen with NX and no one would buy thirdparty games even if they came back, because they might halfass it, or leave after a game, there are other games from other developers that will stick with it that deserve the money better.

If Nintendo gets "lighting in a bottle" next generation 95% of the new console owners will have no idea what a Wii U is. They will not share in diehard Nintendo fan game taste and grudges; they don't care about the same things obviously.

Let me know when great one comes, with as much support as the other platforms, then maybe.

Black Ops II Wii U- Metascore 81.

Black Ops II Xbox 360 - Metascore 83.

Dat terrible Wii U version. Pro-tip: 100% platform parity is not going to happen in the age of varying hardware setups and money-hatted DLC and marketing deals. Xbone owners have to deal with games running at worse framerates and resolutions than PS4 owners, PS4 owners have to deal with worse looking games than PC, PC gamers have to worry about games coming late or needing tons of patches. Somehow, the world keeps spinning.

All stats seem to point that most (90%+) WiiU owners own at least one other console.

Which explains third party sales. Not this mythical "nintendo buyers hate third parties".

If 90% of Wii U owners own another platform and buy 3rd party games for that platform, why should anyone care if the Wii U version exists?

Until Nintendo provides a compelling reason for people to purchase their platform to play these games, people will obviously choose to do so elsewhere.

Overboost

If I get a kickstarter started to get black ops 3 in the Wii u ported over, would you support it?

I don't know how much we'd need to raise. Maybe a million? Hopefully Activision or Treyarh creates it if they like my idea. Would be willing to put a $1000 down.

Obvious joke post, but I'll bite. If you have $1,000 to throw around, surely you can pick up a PS4 or Xbox One and a copy of BO3 with plenty left over.

shanafan

If a stretch goal is DLC map packs for COD Wii U, then maybe! :D

iKhayal18

I would. I really liked BOII on Wii U, and I think that even though Ghost was not as good as a game, the Gamepad incorporated shortcuts and tools were very useful. Also, is the platform where you have more possibilities of controls, so I would definitely support anything that helps to call the attention of Activision and show them that we want the game on Wii U and we will buy it and support it.

Xbox 360

2005: Call of Duty 2
2015: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3

What a console! :)

The original is also available as an XBLA title, so as the PS3 missed out on CoD 2 and the PC missed out on CoD 3, the 360 remains the only platform with official releases of every single main line Call of Duty game. Now that is crazy.

Would much rather play a WW2 or Modern Warfare type game. I don't need activision to make a shitty version of Destiny/Titanfall/Halo/every other futuristic shooter this gen has.

Top Bottom