• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swery confirms D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die coming to PC #ThanksObama

Venfayth

Not sure if this should be its own thread, but this Kotaku interview by Patrick Klepek with Swery just went up, and it's pretty amazing:

http://kotaku.com/beer-masturbation-and-twin-peaks-a-conversation-with-1701491018

Kotaku: How come Microsoft isn’t involved with the PC version?

Swery65: The reason is very complicated. After lots of complicated meetings and e-mails, fun parties, and present exchanges, I think we all ended up at a point that we could all feel satisfied with.

The one thing I can say is I personally feel that there’s a big difference between the console market and the PC market. Compared to the console market, communities are more important to the PC market, along with communication with fans, the stances creators take toward what they’re making, and the personalities of development studios.

I think that in order to make sure D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die can really permeate in a market like that, we need to do as much footwork as possible and shorten the direct distance between us and the end users.

This is the first PC game Access Games has ever created, which also means it’s our first time selling one. We hope to use the PC version of D4 as a bridge to many other new experiences.

Kotaku: You said you weren’t happy with the marketing for D4. Can you talk about what happened?

Swery65: After D4 went on sale, a lot of fans, media people, and developers came up to me and said: “I’m a fan of you, SWERY! I’ll always keep cheering you on! By the way, what game did you make again? Aren’t you going to put out a new one?”

They asked me those questions over and over again. Even though D4 had already been released. I was absolutely flabbergasted.

But now, it’s time to forget the past and work on strengthening my PR. For the PC version of D4, I really want to do a lot of grassroots work and make sure that I can get the game out to as many people as possible.

Kotaku: What are you doing tonight? Are you excited?

Swery65: After I finish this interview, I’m going to drink about two more beers, read a book I just bought (Araki Hirohiko’s Manga Techniques), take a bubble bath with Sharapova, then, while watching Hannibal season 2, I’ll either go to sleep or try to beat Westerado: Double Barreled or something.

Just read the whole interview, it's short and all gold.

edit: Also a tease for another chapter

Kotaku: Can you guarantee fans there’s going to be another episode of D4? Are you working on it right now?

Swery65: There’s no such thing as an “absolute guarantee” in this world. But I can show you proof that I’m trying my best right now.

Well? Want to see more?

1233088445055046179.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Swery65: After I finish this interview, I’m going to drink about two more beers, read a book I just bought (Araki Hirohiko’s Manga Techniques), take a bubble bath with Sharapova, then, while watching Hannibal season 2, I’ll either go to sleep or try to beat Westerado: Double Barreled or something.
I want to hang out with you Swery that sounds awesome.

As suspected, Microsoft publishing your game to a platform by no means assures exclusitivity. It is only when actual development is done through Microsoft themselves does it remain platform exclusive.

One merely has to seek another publishing option if they wish to expand onto more platforms; looks like there's no general contractual lock.

Can you talk about how Microsoft allowed you to bring the game to PC, when it was previously Xbox One exclusive?

Swery: (Voice of Heaven) Windows is not one of the Xbox One’s competitors.

That’s all.

Looks like your conclusion is not quite right. Gamasutra

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Give me a day, give me a price. Sans zombies Deadly Premonition was fantastically off its rocker so I'm definitely in the need of more SWERY.

Rockk

I love this man.

If season 2 or even season 3 ever needs help he could always make a kickstarter! I'd support it!

I like to think that Valkyria Chronicles was also a result of people asking Sega for ports of their old games.

I'd be surprised if VCPC was really because of the requests, considering the SteamDB entry for VC went up in about the same timeframe that the late-2013 #SegaPCports petition came up, I mean we barely had signatures and the most Sega had noticed at that point was the mirror of the GAF thread I posted on their forums.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd be surprised if VCPC was really because of the requests, considering the SteamDB entry for VC went up in about the same timeframe that the late-2013 #SegaPCports petition came up, I mean we barely had signatures and the most Sega had noticed at that point was the mirror of the GAF thread I posted on their forums.

The app was uploaded to Steam on April 10th, ~3.5 months after the call for PC ports began and ~2.5 months after the campaign began in earnest. It's easy to see when a remotely recent app was uploaded as three subs are automatically generated: one for developers, another for beta testing and finally the store/retail key sub, and if you inspect the "About a year ago" text on the dev/beta subs, you'll see the precise time SteamDB recorded the change:

April 10, 2014 – 21:05:43 UTC

The app was uploaded to Steam on April 10th, ~3.5 months after the call for PC ports began and ~2.5 months after the campaign began in earnest. It's easy to see when a remotely recent app was uploaded as three subs are automatically generated: one for developers, another for beta testing and finally the store/retail key sub, and If you inspect the "About a year ago" text on the dev/beta subs, you'll see the precise time SteamDB recorded the change:

Oh, I see.

Still, IIRC around that time we were stalled at the 9.5k signatures mark, not even twice the amount that Gallian Liberation Front's old petitions got to, and many petitions have failed that have gone far further than just 9.5k

Kotaku: What if Showtime asked you to direct an episode of the next season of Twin Peaks? Would you say yes?

Swery65: I’d say: “Can I use the money to hire David Lynch?”

I love swery

Ape

Banned
The first game was pretty good. Not the best game every or anything but a pretty fresh take on a point and click adventure. However, it's always bad form on the developer to end a game on a such a big cliffhanger like that, especially without a second chapter guaranteed. The game felt incomplete.

The first game was pretty good. Not the best game every or anything but a pretty fresh take on a point and click adventure. However, it's always bad form on the developer to end a game on a such a big cliffhanger like that, especially without a second chapter guaranteed. The game felt incomplete.

Well, you'd have to assume he was intending to continue it and that there were certain expectations of that happening, I doubt he did it just because

atomsk

Party Pooper
I don't even meet the minimum specs on this 4 year old PC, but I'm still double dipping.

I need season two in my life.

Top Bottom