• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swery confirms D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die coming to PC #ThanksObama

deadman69

Ah my bad, I missed that. Seems they have another publisher for PC, makes me wonder if MS have decided not to move forwards with it and let someone else do it

they dont seem to publish games that they don't own the IP for on pc, going by recent instances of this happening (ryse and dead rising 3)

Alfredo

Will buy, even if my PC won't be able to run the game.

I bought an Xbox One for D4, and I'm not even mad. I'm happy that more people will get to play the game and together we can all help David Young find D! Let's get Season 2!

Ah my bad, I missed that. Seems they have another publisher for PC, makes me wonder if MS have decided not to move forwards with it and let someone else do it
Microsoft also didn't publish Alan Wake on PC, but they still published American Nightmare on XBLA later. They seem to be OK with PC ports after a period of time if the developer can find a way to fund it. I think Gears may have been the only PC port of an IP they didn't own that they published.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
A few more (again, probably some errors):

Anything specific?
(speaking about Kinect to Mouse differences)

SWERY: For instance, the part where one has to shake the baseball bat, "Seize the character by the back of the shoulder with your hand", and so on, will be done a different way than the Kinect with "Mouse Sense Reproduction".

Will you support Kinect for Windows?

SWERY: If a lot of users buy "D4", it may be possible to update with support for it. However, there are two sides to think about in the tech business - It will also depend on how widespread the popularity of Kinect for Windows is.

You must be a bit anxious, facing the upcoming release date for the PC version.

SWERY: I'm unable to convey that information just yet. Though, we are scheduled to exhibit the game at the Tokyo Indie Festival from May 8th to the 10th. We may pass on information about a publisher then.

You're exhibiting as an indie title? Isn't Microsoft the publisher?

SWERY: Since I wanted to make the title for the type of users who would come to Indie Festival, I'll choose the publisher and distribution method that best suits it.

Have you thought about publishing it through your own company (Access Games)?

SWERY: Of course, that's an option. I'm still searching for the best option.

Nyoro SF

You're exhibiting as an indie title? Isn't Microsoft the publisher?

SWERY: Since I wanted to make the title for the type of users who would come to Indie Festival, I'll choose the publisher and distribution method that best suits it.

Have you thought about publishing it through your own company (Access Games)?

SWERY: Of course, that's an option. I'm still searching for the best option.

As suspected, Microsoft publishing your game to a platform by no means assures exclusitivity. It is only when actual development is done through Microsoft themselves does it remain platform exclusive.

One merely has to seek another publishing option if they wish to expand onto more platforms; looks like there's no general contractual lock.

Head.spawn

Same here. With this getting a pc port and scalebound not sounding so hot I don't see myself picking up an xbone at all now.

That's practically impossible.
I_wanna_see_the_receipts.gif

As suspected, Microsoft publishing your game to a platform by no means assures exclusitivity. It is only when actual development is done through Microsoft themselves does it remain platform exclusive.

One merely has to seek another publishing option if they wish to expand onto more platforms; looks like there's no general contractual lock.
I don't think its that simple. I would imagine they are OK with a game coming to PC after a period of time and can choose not to publish it there. Alan Wake is a good example of this. Remedy had to get Microsoft's permission to put it out on PC, but MS didn't publish the PC version.

Is there any release date for this yet?

A title like this is always going to have niche appeal, but I really hope that it manages to find that niche on PC.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is there any release date for this yet?

A title like this is always going to have niche appeal, but I really hope that it manages to find that niche on PC.

Not yet, no. According to the Famitsu interview, SWERY is still weighing his options for publishers and the potential distribution method. I imagine Microsoft would have suggested the Windows Store, but I'm sure he's aware of Steam with how Deadly Premonition got an extended life thanks to being released on it.

We may get to see who will be publishing in May at the Tokyo Indie Festival, but it isn't set in stone. I imagine there won't be a release date ready until they have that part nailed down.

Falk

that puzzling face
p.s. also digging back a little

Not taking that as a confirmation by any stretch of imagination but Swery has definitely been researching the PC platform a lot more than the typical Japanese dev. I'm sure he's aware of all the options and trends.

KainXVIII

Launched site about PC version, sounds developers will put some effort this time!
D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die, a mystery adventure game that was originally released on the Xbox One, has now been customized specifically for the PC platform. All of the commands and actions in the game can now be performed comfortably using a mouse.

D4 introduces a new type of sensory replication that allows players to gradually feel like they’re actually performing the actions themselves through mouse controls that are synchronized directly with the main character’s movements and feelings. In addition to this new approach to game design, D4 also boasts charming characters, an intriguing storyline, and an original graphical style that was developed specifically for the game, which allows players to experience a profound level of immersion as they explore the game’s unique world. The PC version also contains new content, shorter load times, a better balanced game system, and an improved frame rate, among other adjustments made specifically for the PC platform.

Specs
Kinect control functionality has been removed. Instead, the entire game can be played using only the mouse.
  ・Hand Cursor movement/selecting
  ・Grab controls
  ・Push controls
  ・Direction changes
  ・Posture changes
  ・Selecting/canceling
  ・Interactions

Kinect gesture input controls have been removed and replaced with mouse commands.
  ・There are new commands to do daily life activities like drinking tequila and
   opening fortune cookies.
  ・Special actions like activating Dive and Vision have been changed to new commands.
  ・Gesture inputs during cutscenes have been changed to new commands.

Synchronous Kinect inputs have been changed to new mouse commands.
  ・Actions like wiping the windows and fixing the switchboard have been customized for
   mouse controls.
・Other features like changing posture can now be done with the mouse.

All Kinect Commands during Synchro Stunts (QTEs) have been removed. Instead,
the QTEs can be played entirely using mouse controls.
  ・Actions like waving both arms and swiping repeatedly have been changed into
   new swipe methods and commands.
  ・Gesture commands like swinging the bat have been changed into new commands.
  ・Actions like screaming into the microphone have been changed into new commands.

All Xbox One DLC is now in-game content.
  ・Collaboration costumes can now be acquired within the game.
  ・Beard DLC can now be acquired within the game.
  ・The parameters of various outfits have been altered.
  ・“Today’s Free Outfit,” a new section of Amanda’s Shop, has been added.

Along with the above changes, the user interface has also been redone.
  ・Changes have been made to the affected areas in order to fit the mouse controls.

All voice controls have been removed.
  ・Voice input during Synchro Stunts (QTEs)
  ・Voice selection during conversation
  ・Selection during cutscenes
  ・Shortcuts in the closet and shop
  ・Shortcuts in the menu

Synchro Stunt (QTE) grading has been revised.

Item parameters and locations have been revised.

Options unique to the PC version have been added.
  ・Resolution Settings
  ・Window / Full Screen Settings
  ・Vsync ON / OFF
  ・Dynamic Shadows ON / OFF
  ・Subtitle Language Settings(EFIGSPJ supported)

The game now runs at 60fps.
  *Only capable when using the recommended settings.

Load times have been shortened.

Previously discovered bugs have been fixed.

Content unique to the Xbox ONE version has been removed.
  ・MELD compatibility
  ・Leaderboards

Unique content has been added to the Steam version.
  ・Steam Achievements
  ・Trading Cards
  ・Badges
  ・Emoticons
  ・Profile Backgrounds
  ・Cloud Saving

PC version Specifications
Recommended Specifications
OS
Windows 7 64-bit edition or Windows 8 64-bit edition
CPU
Intel Corei7 4770K @ 3.5GHz or an equivalent AMD CPU
Memory
8GB RAM
Graphic Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon HD 7850 (VRAM 2GB)
Display
1920x1080
DirectX
DirectX 11
HDD
20GB of free space
Sound Card
A DirectX 11 compatible card
Other
Keyboard and mouse necessary. Compatible with XInput controllers such as the Xbox 360 controller.

Minimum Specifications
OS
Windows 7 64-bit edition or Windows 8 64-bit edition
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz or an equivalent AMD CPU
Memory
6GB RAM
Graphic Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 or AMD Radeon HD 6870 (VRAM 1GB)
Display
1280x720
DirectX
DirectX 11
HDD
10GB of free space
Sound Card
A DirectX 11 compatible card
Other
Keyboard and mouse necessary. Compatible with XInput controllers such as the Xbox 360 controller.

PC screenshots

http://d4-game.com/pc/index.html

Nzyme32

Specs are on the heavy side. I think I'll wait till I build my new system rather than force my laptop to deal with it haha

A blahbalicious gif? Jesus Christ I can't remember the last time I saw that hahaha. Random as fuck, pal. Quake1 lives forever.

Top Bottom