• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swery confirms D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die coming to PC #ThanksObama

Tohsaka

This was one of two Xbone exclusives I wanted, so I'm glad to hear it's coming to PC so I can actually play it now.

kunonabi

This was one of two Xbone exclusives I wanted, so I'm glad to hear it's coming to PC so I can actually play it now.

Same here. With this getting a pc port and scalebound not sounding so hot I don't see myself picking up an xbone at all now.

eXistor

This is great news for me, I was really looking forward to it but I wasn't about to buy an Xbox One just for this.

Ploid 3.0

Sorry. I was just being lazy. It's a lot of work to leapfrog over the second post all the way to the third post to find the explanation, but a few people complained so I went ahead and did the work. It's in the OP now.

edit: Sorry for the snark, if you're asking why Swery uses #ThanksObama - I have no idea. He's just a goofy motherfucker.

Ah, that Swery.

Dinjoralo

The game's made in Unreal 3, not 4. :p At least according to wikipedia.
Also, I can't wait to try this game out. Hopefully the sales of the PC version make way for more seasons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Was really the only thing I felt I was missing out on by not owning an Xbox One.

Not to be ungrateful, but we can expect this to be a bad port right?

• Japanese developer
  • Low cost port since the Xbone version didn't do well
  • Poor Deadly Premonition port as precedent

Sendou

We definitely need Scalebound next. Another Microsoft published and Japanese UE4 game originally announced only for Xbox One. Looking at Kamiya's past output it's certainly one that could benefit from some higher framerates if nothing else.

Time for Spencer's to show what's the extent of their "support" for the platform. We can call this a start although I think this is more of a case where MS just didn't care enough to stop it from happening.

• Japanese developer

• Made with Unreal Engine 4

Not all there is to it but it's something.

Buying this so hard.

We need the rest of the episodes.

• Japanese developer

But it's UE4 unlike Deadly Premonition which ran in the Access Games engine which left a lot to be desired. Also I think the game was already showed running on PC hardware without major problems.

Corpekata

Banned

• Japanese developer

It being Unreal Engine probably points to it at least being less crash prone.

And really they've been showing the PC version off for a little while so the fact it has been worked on so long is a good sign too.

Was this game helped funded by Microsoft? Like one of those games with zero chance of ever coming out on PS4? If so this might be one of the first PC games I buy in years.

FLD

Nice. The game looks gloriously weird. Hopefully it can be successful enough to make season 2 happen.

In the meantime, I should probably get back to Deadly Premonitions. I stopped a few hours into it but what I played was surprisingly enjoyable.

Synth

Bayonetta 2 had nowhere to go. D4 could have gone to PC immediately. How is that the same? I understand the reason why they held it on the Xbox One, I just don't agree with the decision. They wanted it to be an incentive to buy the system, but it was hardly a system seller to begin with. It was held back from exposure it could have gotten from the start, how is that not being held prisoner? Just because you're born in captivity doesn't mean you're not a prisoner. Luckily, this is being remedied now. Hopefully it will be enough to finish the game.

Umm... but Bayonetta 2 did technically have somewhere to go. It also could have gone to PC immediately. The reason it didn't is because by your definition, Nintendo hold every game hostage. To a mostly dead platform no less.

(pc is a microsoft platform and one they're "committed to", as they keep trying to remind people. wonder why people are skeptical?)

Well, it's actually being released on PC right? Being committed to the platform doesn't have to mean releasing every game day and date with the console, and making it obsolete. The fact that the Xbox is a Microsoft platform too means that they have to also make some choices in its best interest as well.

Umm... but Bayonetta 2 did technically have somewhere to go. It also could have gone to PC immediately. The reason it didn't is because by your definition, Nintendo hold every game hostage. To a mostly dead platform no less.

They could have put it on 3DS too!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh yeah, I found an interview with PC pics from Famitsu. If anyone could translate that, that'd be cool.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201504/28077713.html

For some reason making a hyperlink causes an error. Weird. You have to copy and paste that in your browser.

Couple of quick clips, though I will probably have a few mistakes~

How does it differ from the Xbox One version?

SWERY: We'd had a jam (Game Jam) that was done in time for GDC, "Empathy and Sense can be reproduced without a Kinect", for which we created an experimental PC version as proof. The intention was for the game's design to use only a mouse. Many users said "I want to play D4, but I don't have an Xbox One." When we'd practically announced it at GDC, there'd been quite a bit of buzz on social networks saying, "If there's a PC version, please release it by any means."

Is it safe to say it's currently in production?

SWERY: The staff is going through the trouble day and night to insert every element in April. I'd like to be bug checking by May.

Will there be any difference in the game's contents?

SWERY: Season 1 (I assume he means the plot/story content) will not have any changes. The arrangement of some items has changed, and has been tuned a bit to be easier to play. On Xbox One, these items came in the form of DLC, as items that can be taken as a reward in-game. These have been changed to become rewards of side quests.

Why changing from DLC to available through play?

SWERY: Since the game's already been on the market longer than half a year, there's no need for them to be separately downloaded. You can simply enjoy them within the game.

A pleasant change. So, how will the changes for Sense operate? With mouse replacing the Kinect, do you think the game is still fun to play?

SWERY: While porting to using the mouse, that part improved very much. But there was a part that was missing. The voice control offered by Kinect is no longer available. Though gestures with body poses cannot be done, playing with a mouse is an improvement.

I'll try to work on some more in a bit.

EDIT: Since this was retweeted by SWERY (hi~), I'll update this post with any additional translations I post.

A few more (again, probably some errors):

Anything specific?
(speaking about Kinect to Mouse differences)

SWERY: For instance, the part where one has to shake the baseball bat, "Seize the character by the back of the shoulder with your hand", and so on, will be done a different way than the Kinect with "Mouse Sense Reproduction".

Will you support Kinect for Windows?

SWERY: If a lot of users buy "D4", it may be possible to update with support for it. However, there are two sides to think about in the tech business - It will also depend on how widespread the popularity of Kinect for Windows is.

You must be a bit anxious, facing the upcoming release date for the PC version.

SWERY: I'm unable to convey that information just yet. Though, we are scheduled to exhibit the game at the Tokyo Indie Festival from May 8th to the 10th. We may pass on information about a publisher then.

You're exhibiting as an indie title? Isn't Microsoft the publisher?

SWERY: Since I wanted to make the title for the type of users who would come to Indie Festival, I'll choose the publisher and distribution method that best suits it.

Have you thought about publishing it through your own company (Access Games)?

SWERY: Of course, that's an option. I'm still searching for the best option.

Evilmaus

Couple of quick clips, though I will probably have a few mistakes~

How does it differ from the Xbox One version?

SWERY: We'd had a jam (Game Jam) that was done in time for GDC, "Empathy and Sense can be reproduced without a Kinect", for which we created an experimental PC version as proof. The intention was for the game's design to use only a mouse. Many users said "I want to play D4, but I don't have an Xbox One." When we'd practically announced it at GDC, there'd been quite a bit of buzz on social networks saying, "If there's a PC version, please release it by any means."

Is it safe to say it's currently in production?

SWERY: The staff is going through the trouble day and night to insert every element in April. I'd like to be bug checking by May.

Will there be any difference in the game's contents?

SWERY: Season 1 (I assume he means the plot/story content) will not have any changes. The arrangement of some items has changed, and has been tuned a bit to be easier to play. On Xbox One, these items came in the form of DLC, as items that can be taken as a reward in-game. These have been changed to become rewards of side quests.

Why changing from DLC to available through play?

SWERY: Since the game's already been on the market longer than half a year, there's no need for them to be separately downloaded. You can simply enjoy them within the game.

A pleasant change. So, how will the changes for Sense operate? With mouse replacing the Kinect, do you think the game is still fun to play?

SWERY: While porting to using the mouse, that part improved very much. But there was a part that was missing. The voice control offered by Kinect is no longer available. Though gestures with body poses cannot be done, playing with a mouse is an improvement.

I'll try to work on some more in a bit.

Sounds like they're working towards a decent port. Bug checking by May? I'm predicting this will see a July release based on next to nothing!

dreamfall

This is such rad news! Really wanted to play this, but don't have an XBO. I think the PC market will serve it well. SWERY foreva!

Top Bottom