• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch charging time is 3 hours, non-removable battery

bomblord1

Banned
So come into this thread I read the OP, see the 3 hours charge time, think "that's pretty reasonable", and see that they're using a 4310 mAh battery, which is on the top end of what I would have expected. Good stuff.

And then I start reading the replies... holy hell. I know neogaf has a reputation for over-reacting to things, but this thread is just straight up nuts. Go outside, take a walk, have a breath of fresh air, and when you've calmed down you can come back and we can actually look at the facts.

You're back? Great, nice day outside, isn't it? Okay, now let's talk batteries.

Battery Size

At 4310 mAh, Switch has by far the highest-capacity battery of any gaming device ever made. Here's what's currently out there:

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

That's about twice the capacity of PS Vita or almost three and a half times the capacity of the 3DS or 2DS.

Now, you're surely saying "but X phone or Y tablet has such-and-such a capacity, Nintendo must be able to fit more in there!", but I'm willing to be X phone and Y tablet aren't actively cooled. A typical phone or tablet these days is basically a battery with some electronics and a screen attached. For a phone the battery could account for 60-70% of the internal volume, and it can be even higher for tablets.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of dedicating so much internal space to batteries, because it has to fit a fan and heatsink in there, which likely occupies as much as half the space between the screen and the rear of the case. Have a look at this rear-view photo of the Switch:

The blue box I've included is pretty much the best-case-scenario for how much space Nintendo can allocate to the battery in Switch. If you look at the fan vents at the top and bottom of the unit you can see where the heatsink and fan are going to sit (and I've been pretty conservative with the red box for this, as I'm not even including the area around the third vent to the lower right). Then on the left we've got space taken up by the game card slot, microSD slot, kickstand, and likely part of the logic board (which will overlap the cooling system).

There's no space for a bigger battery. The reason I say 4310 mAh is at the top end of what I would have expected is because there's just nowhere to put anything bigger. A 4310 mAh battery is basically Nintendo squeezing as big a battery as they possibly can in there. Quote me on this, when we see teardowns in March there isn't going to be some big gap where they could have put a bigger battery. They've squeezed in as much as they can without increasing the physical size of the device.

Charging

Regarding the "Switch doesn't do quick charging" claim, let's first do some basic maths. A 4310 mAh battery, assuming a standard 3.7V, comes to 15.95 Wh. For that battery to charge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, then at an absolute minimum, it would have to be charging at a rate of 15.95/3 = 5.3W. Standard USB 2 provides 2.5W of power, so it's physically impossible for Switch to charge so quickly without some form of "quick charging".

However, as several people have already pointed out, batteries don't charge at a flat rate from 0 to 100%, they charge more quickly for the first ~80%, and much more slowly for the final ~20%. It's quite likely that Switch's peak charging rate is anywhere from 10-15W, which is, once again, far more than a standard USB 2 charger would provide.

Finally, we have Nintendo's FCC listing for Switch last month, which gave us these little nuggets of information:

See that bit where it says that the (USB-C) AC adaptor can output DC at 15V? That, folks, means that the system uses USB Power Delivery Revision 2.0 Version 1.2 or later. Or, in layman's terms, quick charging.

So, unless Nintendo have broken both the laws of thermodynamics and some regular human laws by lying to the FCC (although I'd imagine they'd get into more trouble over the former), Switch is most definitely capable of quick charging by any definition.

Regarding the total charging time of 3 hours, this is pretty typical for a gaming device. The 3DS takes even longer at 3 and a half hours for a full charge, while the PS Vita takes 2 hours and 40 mins. And in both cases we're talking about far smaller batteries than Switch has.

People also need to keep in mind once again that li-ion batteries are much slower to charge for the last 20% or so. This is why phone manufacturers always give specs like "charges to 80% in an hour", and leave out the fact that the remaining 20% takes another hour. Anantech provides some useful charging graphs in their smartphone reviews (e.g. OnePlus 3T, Honor 8), and if you look through them you'll notice a trend that charging to 80% typically takes only half the time of charging fully to 100%. This is going to vary a little bit depending on the battery and charging tech used, but it's usually around that ratio.

Translating to Switch, what we're probably looking at is the device charging to 80% battery in 90 minutes or so. Which, for me at least, is pretty reasonable. Yeah, they probably could have got it down to 60 minutes by using a more expensive battery, more expensive power ICs and a more expensive charger, but I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where that's the difference between my Switch having a usable amount of charge or not.

TL:DR

- Switch's battery is far bigger than any other gaming device
- Switch's battery is as big as they could possibly fit in there given the active cooling
- Switch definitely uses quick charging (source: FCC & James Clerk Maxwell)
- Switch probably charges to ~80% battery in about 90 minutes

You may want to consider turning this into its own thread. (after the modbot cleanse has stopped)

guek

Banned
Thraktor is godlike.

giphy.gif

Get rekt you knee jerk reactionary imbeciles
Brian-Fantana-Easy-Champ-Anchorman.gif

Grief.exe

If I have a standard battery pack that pushes over 2 amps and a USB Type-C cord, will that work with the Switch, or will they require a proprietary adapter?

If I have a standard battery pack that pushes over 2 amps and a USB Type-C cord, will that work with the Switch, or will they require a proprietary adapter?

That's exactly what I was just wondering, too. Battery life becomes a complete non-issue to me in that event.

Hell, if that's the case, it'd just take $20 to double (or quadruple if you deal hunt) your Switch's battery longevity (assuming that's all you ever used it for, lol)

There isnt, thats why they dont need a huge battery. The switch is running demanding games, it SHOULD have a heftier battery

thinking in nintendo's shoes - i would want to grab the attention of regular consumers. Consumer who have gotten used to iPads as their go-facto tablet experience.

Sure, more battery life is definitely a good thing - but the cost of bulkiness may be too much for the average consumer.

It's a not a great solution - but if added bulk for battery is a sacrifice some people are willing to make - they can carry a external battery pack. Time will tell how people end up using this product

jackal27

Banned
it's like Nintendo is trying to make the world's worst console
Ya know, I would say let's not be hyperbolic, but when you're this determined to be disappointed... Well, I don't think there's anything anyone could say.

We are talking about a battery with similar capabilities to the 3DS one we've already been using for 6 years.

Drifters

Truly, truly I say to you, those who remove such batteries are unworthy of such wonders.

Nintendo really is the new Apple.

lenovox1

How can you go USB-C and not bother to include quick charge?

Quick Charge, like the type in mobile phones, is a proprietary technology from Qualcomm for the use of devices running on their hardware.

It is getting out modded by the USB-PD standard, but that's a standard intended for laptops with bigger power draw needs.

USB Type-C by default can deliver enough power for what that chipset needs without the extra amps (and the extra costs).

ETA: Read Thraktor's post. It DOES use USB-PD.

Oh, so it DOES do "quick charging," just not the Qualcomm trademarked Quick Charging™.

Oh.

Well, then, what in the hell are people complaining about?

Needs to be quoted
So come into this thread I read the OP, see the 3 hours charge time, think "that's pretty reasonable", and see that they're using a 4310 mAh battery, which is on the top end of what I would have expected. Good stuff.

And then I start reading the replies... holy hell. I know neogaf has a reputation for over-reacting to things, but this thread is just straight up nuts. Go outside, take a walk, have a breath of fresh air, and when you've calmed down you can come back and we can actually look at the facts.

Battery Size

At 4310 mAh, Switch has by far the highest-capacity battery of any gaming device ever made. Here's what's currently out there:

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

That's about twice the capacity of PS Vita or almost three and a half times the capacity of the 3DS or 2DS.

Now, you're surely saying "but X phone or Y tablet has such-and-such a capacity, Nintendo must be able to fit more in there!", but I'm willing to be X phone and Y tablet aren't actively cooled. A typical phone or tablet these days is basically a battery with some electronics and a screen attached. For a phone the battery could account for 60-70% of the internal volume, and it can be even higher for tablets.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of dedicating so much internal space to batteries, because it has to fit a fan and heatsink in there, which likely occupies as much as half the space between the screen and the rear of the case. Have a look at this rear-view photo of the Switch:

The blue box I've included is pretty much the best-case-scenario for how much space Nintendo can allocate to the battery in Switch. If you look at the fan vents at the top and bottom of the unit you can see where the heatsink and fan are going to sit (and I've been pretty conservative with the red box for this, as I'm not even including the area around the third vent to the lower right). Then on the left we've got space taken up by the game card slot, microSD slot, kickstand, and likely part of the logic board (which will overlap the cooling system).

There's no space for a bigger battery. The reason I say 4310 mAh is at the top end of what I would have expected is because there's just nowhere to put anything bigger. A 4310 mAh battery is basically Nintendo squeezing as big a battery as they possibly can in there. Quote me on this, when we see teardowns in March there isn't going to be some big gap where they could have put a bigger battery. They've squeezed in as much as they can without increasing the physical size of the device.

Charging

Regarding the "Switch doesn't do quick charging" claim, let's first do some basic maths. A 4310 mAh battery, assuming a standard 3.7V, comes to 15.95 Wh. For that battery to charge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, then at an absolute minimum, it would have to be charging at a rate of 15.95/3 = 5.3W. Standard USB 2 provides 2.5W of power, so it's physically impossible for Switch to charge so quickly without some form of "quick charging".

However, as several people have already pointed out, batteries don't charge at a flat rate from 0 to 100%, they charge more quickly for the first ~80%, and much more slowly for the final ~20%. It's quite likely that Switch's peak charging rate is anywhere from 10-15W, which is, once again, far more than a standard USB 2 charger would provide.

Finally, we have Nintendo's FCC listing for Switch last month, which gave us these little nuggets of information:

See that bit where it says that the (USB-C) AC adaptor can output DC at 15V? That, folks, means that the system uses USB Power Delivery Revision 2.0 Version 1.2 or later. Or, in layman's terms, quick charging.

So, unless Nintendo have broken both the laws of thermodynamics and some regular human laws by lying to the FCC (although I'd imagine they'd get into more trouble over the former), Switch is most definitely capable of quick charging by any definition.

Regarding the total charging time of 3 hours, this is pretty typical for a gaming device. The 3DS takes even longer at 3 and a half hours for a full charge, while the PS Vita takes 2 hours and 40 mins. And in both cases we're talking about far smaller batteries than Switch has.

People also need to keep in mind once again that li-ion batteries are much slower to charge for the last 20% or so. This is why phone manufacturers always give specs like "charges to 80% in an hour", and leave out the fact that the remaining 20% takes another hour. Anantech provides some useful charging graphs in their smartphone reviews (e.g. OnePlus 3T, Honor 8), and if you look through them you'll notice a trend that charging to 80% typically takes only half the time of charging fully to 100%. This is going to vary a little bit depending on the battery and charging tech used, but it's usually around that ratio.

Translating to Switch, what we're probably looking at is the device charging to 80% battery in 90 minutes or so. Which, for me at least, is pretty reasonable. Yeah, they probably could have got it down to 60 minutes by using a more expensive battery, more expensive power ICs and a more expensive charger, but I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where that's the difference between my Switch having a usable amount of charge or not.

- Switch's battery is as big as they could possibly fit in there given the active cooling

Personally, I think we will see some kind of fast charging and three hours of Zelda play seems plenty to me.

My commute is 30 min which is fine.
I take a bus for 2 hours which is fine.
I will get the corresponding car adapter for when I am hichiking or roadtripping
I will get the battery bank for longer flights. A 16,000 mAh battery bank should be plenty for a 12 hour flight (20,000 mAh power capacity equals 15 hours).

People are just out of control negative on the switch. There are plenty of things to be concerned, but battery ain't one of them.

You seem to know what you're talking about, so I'll ask you:

I'm not great with electronics, but is there a way we could estimate how long we could keep the battery alive by using external device chargers?

For example, if I buy a 20,000ma battery pack then in theory I should be able to re-charge the Switch roughly 4-5 times.

However, do we know (or can we figure out) anything about the power draw of the device? if I had it constantly plugged into that battery, would the battery be able to sustain the device, or would it draw power faster than it could be charged?

I mean, since they're selling things like car chargers then I assume it is possible for the thing to be played and charged at the same time (with a net gain on the battery charge) but when looking at batteries, what sort of info or tech specs should I be looking at in order to make a purchase?

I ask because if I can spend £15-20 more to bump the effective battery life up by a significant amount then I absolutely will!

You seem to know what you're talking about, so I'll ask you:

I'm not great with electronics, but is there a way we could estimate how long we could keep the battery alive by using external device chargers?

For example, if I buy a 20,000ma battery pack then in theory I should be able to re-charge the Switch roughly 4-5 times.

However, do we know (or can we figure out) anything about the power draw of the device? if I had it constantly plugged into that battery, would the battery be able to sustain the device, or would it draw power faster than it could be charged?

I mean, since they're selling things like car chargers then I assume it is possible for the thing to be played and charged at the same time (with a net gain on the battery charge) but when looking at batteries, what sort of info or tech specs should I be looking at in order to make a purchase?

I ask because if I can spend £15-20 more to bump the effective battery life up by a significant amount then I absolutely will!

It will depend on the discharge vs. charge power figure.

If there is a quiescent intersection where it discharges as fast as it charges, congratulations, you've got 15 hours of continuous play.

What will happen I think is that if you start at 100% and connect the battery, it will discharge slowly and slowing every 1% until about 40% and stay there until the power bank runs out of juice.

I don't know if I would do this often though, since it might just heat the battery quite a lot and shorten its lifespan, but if this thing is passively cooled, I hope it's not so much of an issue

It will depend on the discharge vs. charge power figure.

If there is a quiescent intersection where it discharges as fast as it charges, congratulations, you've got 15 hours of continuous play.

What will happen I think is that if you start at 100% and connect the battery, it will discharge slowly and slowing every 1% until about 40% and stay there until the power bank runs out of juice.

Thanks for the info! 40 fo-lyf is fine by me :p

Do you know to what degree the charging speed is limited by the external battery? E.g do different brands have different max speeds, or is that something that the actual device has more control over?

I don't know if I would do this often though, since it might just heat the battery quite a lot and shorten its lifespan, but if this thing is passively cooled, I hope it's not so much of an issue

Would that not just be the same as having it docked all the time though? (Assuming same cooling speeds in docked v undocked)

Acheteedo

Question about charging: I note from the videos of the hardware that the charging port is on the bottom of the device, so when the charging cable is attached to the device, it sticks out of the bottom. Doesn't this prevent you from being able to charge the device while it's in kick stand mode? The cable would need to go through the surface that the Switch is resting on, no? That's the configuration that I'm most likely to want to be charging it, for instance on a plane or a train where there are passenger power sockets (which is very often these days).

Is there something I'm not taking into account here?

Question about charging: I note from the videos of the hardware that the charging port is on the bottom of the device, so when the charging cable is attached to the device, it sticks out of the bottom. Doesn't this prevent you from being able to charge the device while it's in kick stand mode? The cable would need to go through the surface that the Switch is resting on, no? That's the configuration that I'm most likely to want to be charging it, for instance on a plane or a train where there are passenger power sockets (which is very often these days).

Is there something I'm not taking into account here?

I think it's in a recess on the back, so the cable has room to bend. Not like an iPad where it runs right along the bottom

gallery02-wwwimagesplitternet-b2ac7.jpeg

(Small recess next to the kick stand)

I'll be able to confirm this later today once I try one out :p

Thanks for the info! 40 fo-lyf is fine by me :p

Do you know to what degree the charging speed is limited by the external battery? E.g do different brands have different max speeds, or is that something that the actual device has more control over?

As long as you get a good brand (Aukey, Anker, etc.) that is fast charging certified, the speed would be limited by the Switch.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me. It's been a while since I worked with batteries

As long as you get a good brand (Aukey, Anker, etc.) that is fast charging certified, the speed would be limited by the Switch.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me. It's been a while since I worked with batteries

Thanks dude, I know SFA about batteries so this has been a big help! :)

Even if it ends up not working, they aren't too expensive and it'll be useful to have one spare for my phone anyway.

killroy87

Battery Size

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

Charging

Omg, it's so fucking satisfying when someone with legitimate knowledge comes in and just lays the smack down on 11 pages of armchair developing.

This is an incredible post.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Not if they used the standard USB-C quick charging spec like every other device with a USB-C port... another boneheaded decision

Except that they are using the quick charging spec; you people just don't understand how it works. Luckily, it's already been explained in great detail. Look at the giant post that keeps getting quoted. If they weren't using quick charge, it would take much longer than it does.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It's quite silly.

Nintendo was designing the Switch with the mind set that a device which can be used as homeconsole and handheld at the same time would hit an untapped market.
But because of all kind of technical reasons and Nintendo antics we are now having a poorly powered homeconsole and a handheld with a poor running time. And everything for a nice premium price tag.

It's a mess.

Lack of quick charge has already been debunked, but I'm sure that you will continue to deny it because you get off on this...

Edit: Oops.

Acheteedo

I think it's in a recess on the back, so the cable has room to bend. Not like an iPad where it runs right along the bottom

gallery02-wwwimagesplitternet-b2ac7.jpeg

(Small recess next to the kick stand)

I'll be able to confirm this later today once I try one out :p

Oo, looks like it could be that, yeah please do investigate! Don't suppose you could PM me the result?? I'm super keen on getting the answer to this riddle.

Jeffrey

Hmmm if the switch actually supports the proper usb-c power delivery, it does mean it does offer 'fast charge' in a way. I just assume the included a/c adapter doesn't for performance reasons?

People seem to forget that quick charge solutions typically heat up the phone quite a lot, leading to hefty throttling during usage killing performance, unless you are doing some VOOC trickery like the OP3 dash charge.

I imagine you can 'quick charge' a Switch using a nexus/pixel etc a/c adapter just fine, but expect a hot device with maybe some performance hit when doing that.

Maybe that's why they aren't advertising that?

Gotta wait for some reviews first though. Everything is just speculation at this point.

Many of them complain because it's easy to jump on that train. Negativity weighs much more in people's minds and perception than positive things. Perception now is, Nintendo has done EVERYTHING wrong with the Switch. Do not buy it at launch, it is dead. It is an expensive corpse. Now kick that corpse with any news arriving, no matter if you do not understand them or if you do not have in - depth view in this business or mentality.

Many reactions I read sound like reactions of coddled consumers. Which is at least good in that way, that people don't seem to have other real problems. It is pure luxury to complain heavily on such things. And mocking is of course much more fun than praising. Humans.

redcrayon

It'll be interesting to have a thread where people post charge times/number of charges for the various battery packs to see which ones are the best trade off for price, weight etc when the Switch is released. I've got a couple of different ones that I use for various gadgets on the move. The Anker one seems pretty good.

Coreda

Yes, if you play extremely demanding games on max settings.

But anyone who doesn't configure their console to save even a little battery life shouldn't complain.

Does the Switch, or any Nintendo console offer configurable graphics settings? I think I've only seen one image of a Nintendo-looking game which gave two options (30/60fps).

Redrum_82

The battery life is undeniably bad, but the fact that it uses a non proprietary plug for charging solves all the issues IMHO: USB battery banks nowadays are huge and cheap and in a couple of years they can only improve and become cheaper.

Who cares if I can only play for two hours if I can plug in a battery bank and continue playing for ten or more.

Oh, you're the tech expert here. I forgot. Clearly I should value your opinion over actual calculations. Yup, no quick charge confirmed! Thraktor has no idea what he's talking about even though he used indisputable calculations!

No, but seriously.

What you even talking about?
Never talked about the quick charge stuff.

And even Thraktor's post only confirmed that the hybrid idea of the Switch is a mess. Not powerful enough to compete against dedicated home consoles nor be able to provide long running times when playing WiiU ports like Zelda.

spekkeh

Banned
Thank God for Thraktor. First ten pages were some major fuckery. People just love to join the hype or hate bandwagon. Even without any electronics knowledge you should know charging a phone without fast charging takes the same amount or longer for a much smaller battery.
And if your battery is dead that doesn't mean you have to stop playing for three hours. You can also shock horror plug it in and continue playing.

And even Thraktor's post only confirmed that the hybrid idea of the Switch is a mess. Not powerful enough to compete against dedicated home consoles nor be able to provide long running times when playing WiiU ports like Zelda.
Sorry but i don't get the point. My 3ds is a full portable machine and it runs out of power in 4 hour or so. Zelda is a demanding game...when you'll play Snipperclips for example you'll get 6 hours or even more. I guess playing a big game like zelda with all that funky tech in the switch for about three hour is really reasonable.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Oh, so your post was off-topic and just you repeating yourself again because you have nothing better to with your life than insult people and a console/company that you never had any interest in whatsoever. Alright, I'm sorry. Carry on.

On that note, can anybody point me toward a mobile game that's as graphically demanding as Breath of the Wild for comparison?

Quick Charge, like the type in mobile phones, is a proprietary technology from Qualcomm for the use of devices running on their hardware.

It is getting out modded by the USB-PD standard, but that's a standard intended for laptops with bigger power draw needs.

USB Type-C by default can deliver enough power for what that chipset needs without the extra amps (and the extra costs).

ETA: Read Thraktor's post. It DOES use USB-PD.

Oh, so it DOES do "quick charging," just not the Qualcomm trademarked Quick Charging™.

Oh.

It says 3 hours to charge in spec sheet, does that look like quick charge? Thraktor's post says 3 hours recharge time is "pretty reasonable", yeah maybe in 2011. I don't personally care about battery life since 3-4 hours is perfectly fine. And the issue is almost completely mitigated when you can charge it back in under an hour, but 3 hours recharge is fking laughable. I don't want to go back to the time when you had to remember to plug the charger in before you go to bed or else had to carry the charger with you the entire next day.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It says 3 hours to charge in spec sheet, does that look like quick charge? Thraktor's post says 3 hours recharge time is "pretty reasonable", yeah maybe in 2011. I don't personally care about battery life since 3-4 hours is perfectly fine. And the issue is almost completely mitigated when you can charge it back in under an hour, but 3 hours recharge is fking laughable. I don't want to go back to the time when you had to remember to plug the charger in before you go to bed or else had to carry the charger with you the entire next day.

So, you only read the first line of Thraktor's post.

Hydrargyrus

So, It carries this 4310mAh battery because the "active cooling" (it couldn't be better)...

... that "active cooling" that days ago wasn't needed unless it has 3SM or 4SM

Its a 4310 capacity battery, charging over USB. I assure you, all of the fancy quick charge tech is in there to provide the voltage required to charge that in 3 hours. USB is not a black box, it has technical limitations on what it can and cannot support.

If the power pack was a AC adapter, they could probably charge much faster. But they decided to go for the industry standard charger with no propriatary cables. And I personally love them for that.

Sorry but i don't get the point. My 3ds is a full portable machine and it runs out of power in 4 hour or so. Zelda is a demanding game...when you'll play Snipperclips for example you'll get 6 hours or even more. I guess playing a big game like zelda with all that funky tech in the switch for about three hour is really reasonable.

There is nothing especially demanding about Zelda, it's a 3D game like so many other incoming Switch games.
And getting out 3h in Zelda (claimed) or around 4h in realworld conditions is already pretty significant.

Top Bottom