• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch charging time is 3 hours, non-removable battery

Typically when one leaves the house it's to go do something and not game for three + hours. If you do happen to have three hours to kill and want to play a demanding game like Zelda which will burn battery quicker than other games I'm sure you'll be able to find a place to plug in and charge. In the event that you can't, oh no.
So if I have an hour+ commute in a ride share and an hour for lunch, I'm a jackass.

What the fuck is the point of a portable console if not to take it somewhere to play it? One of the dumbest arguments I've seen in a while, and this Switch stuff had brought out some stupidity.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Typically when one leaves the house it's to go do something and not game for three + hours. If you do happen to have three hours to kill and want to play a demanding game like Zelda which will burn battery quicker than other games I'm sure you'll be able to find a place to plug in and charge. In the event that you can't, oh no.

yeah. take a portable battery with you. where are you going for that extended period of time that you have enough room for a switch but not a sharpie sized portable battery?

This console is an overpriced, accessory ridden nightmare. The worst thing about it is I want to play the new Mario game, Xenoblade 2 and SMT badly but no bad enough to support this terribly designed wreck. I guess playing BotW on my Wii U will have to do. Oh yeah and Fuck Nintendo for their arrogance.

yeah. take a portable battery with you. where are you going for that extended period of time that you have enough room for a switch but not a sharpie sized portable battery?
Ah, so buy another product because the one Nintendo is selling isn't adequate for the task. Aiight.

b3b0p

Great. In 10 years, when I finally get to my Switch backlog the battery won't even be working. I guess I'm stuck with completing more games on my NES and SNES.

guek

Banned
So come into this thread I read the OP, see the 3 hours charge time, think "that's pretty reasonable", and see that they're using a 4310 mAh battery, which is on the top end of what I would have expected. Good stuff.

And then I start reading the replies... holy hell. I know neogaf has a reputation for over-reacting to things, but this thread is just straight up nuts. Go outside, take a walk, have a breath of fresh air, and when you've calmed down you can come back and we can actually look at the facts.

You're back? Great, nice day outside, isn't it? Okay, now let's talk batteries.

Battery Size

At 4310 mAh, Switch has by far the highest-capacity battery of any gaming device ever made. Here's what's currently out there:

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

That's about twice the capacity of PS Vita or almost three and a half times the capacity of the 3DS or 2DS.

Now, you're surely saying "but X phone or Y tablet has such-and-such a capacity, Nintendo must be able to fit more in there!", but I'm willing to be X phone and Y tablet aren't actively cooled. A typical phone or tablet these days is basically a battery with some electronics and a screen attached. For a phone the battery could account for 60-70% of the internal volume, and it can be even higher for tablets.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of dedicating so much internal space to batteries, because it has to fit a fan and heatsink in there, which likely occupies as much as half the space between the screen and the rear of the case. Have a look at this rear-view photo of the Switch:

The blue box I've included is pretty much the best-case-scenario for how much space Nintendo can allocate to the battery in Switch. If you look at the fan vents at the top and bottom of the unit you can see where the heatsink and fan are going to sit (and I've been pretty conservative with the red box for this, as I'm not even including the area around the third vent to the lower right). Then on the left we've got space taken up by the game card slot, microSD slot, kickstand, and likely part of the logic board (which will overlap the cooling system).

There's no space for a bigger battery. The reason I say 4310 mAh is at the top end of what I would have expected is because there's just nowhere to put anything bigger. A 4310 mAh battery is basically Nintendo squeezing as big a battery as they possibly can in there. Quote me on this, when we see teardowns in March there isn't going to be some big gap where they could have put a bigger battery. They've squeezed in as much as they can without increasing the physical size of the device.

Charging

Regarding the "Switch doesn't do quick charging" claim, let's first do some basic maths. A 4310 mAh battery, assuming a standard 3.7V, comes to 15.95 Wh. For that battery to charge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, then at an absolute minimum, it would have to be charging at a rate of 15.95/3 = 5.3W. Standard USB 2 provides 2.5W of power, so it's physically impossible for Switch to charge so quickly without some form of "quick charging".

However, as several people have already pointed out, batteries don't charge at a flat rate from 0 to 100%, they charge more quickly for the first ~80%, and much more slowly for the final ~20%. It's quite likely that Switch's peak charging rate is anywhere from 10-15W, which is, once again, far more than a standard USB 2 charger would provide.

Finally, we have Nintendo's FCC listing for Switch last month, which gave us these little nuggets of information:

See that bit where it says that the (USB-C) AC adaptor can output DC at 15V? That, folks, means that the system uses USB Power Delivery Revision 2.0 Version 1.2 or later. Or, in layman's terms, quick charging.

So, unless Nintendo have broken both the laws of thermodynamics and some regular human laws by lying to the FCC (although I'd imagine they'd get into more trouble over the former), Switch is most definitely capable of quick charging by any definition.

Regarding the total charging time of 3 hours, this is pretty typical for a gaming device. The 3DS takes even longer at 3 and a half hours for a full charge, while the PS Vita takes 2 hours and 40 mins. And in both cases we're talking about far smaller batteries than Switch has.

People also need to keep in mind once again that li-ion batteries are much slower to charge for the last 20% or so. This is why phone manufacturers always give specs like "charges to 80% in an hour", and leave out the fact that the remaining 20% takes another hour. Anantech provides some useful charging graphs in their smartphone reviews (e.g. OnePlus 3T, Honor 8), and if you look through them you'll notice a trend that charging to 80% typically takes only half the time of charging fully to 100%. This is going to vary a little bit depending on the battery and charging tech used, but it's usually around that ratio.

Translating to Switch, what we're probably looking at is the device charging to 80% battery in 90 minutes or so. Which, for me at least, is pretty reasonable. Yeah, they probably could have got it down to 60 minutes by using a more expensive battery, more expensive power ICs and a more expensive charger, but I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where that's the difference between my Switch having a usable amount of charge or not.

TL:DR

- Switch's battery is far bigger than any other gaming device
- Switch's battery is as big as they could possibly fit in there given the active cooling
- Switch definitely uses quick charging (source: FCC & James Clerk Maxwell)
- Switch probably charges to ~80% battery in about 90 minutes

dropping loads

Kacho

So if I have an hour+ commute in a ride share and an hour for lunch, I'm a jackass.

What the fuck is the point of a portable console if not to take it somewhere to play it? One of the dumbest arguments I've seen in a while, and this Switch stuff had brought out some stupidity.

You can take it with you and play it. Does your place of work not have power outlets or something? Just charge it while you work so it's ready to go for lunch or your drive home.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, so buy another product because the one Nintendo is selling isn't adequate for the task. Aiight.

so you have never ever had to charge your phone during the day? Can you not charge your switch while you work? You must work in the woods between your epic commute and luxurious hour break.

guek

Banned

but no one is selling a tablet that can run equivalent games with better battery performance. It literally doesn't exist yet.

I mean seriously, just about everyone plugs in their phones whenever possible for a reason

G0523

This console is an overpriced, accessory ridden nightmare. The worst thing about it is I want to play the new Mario game, Xenoblade 2 and SMT badly but no bad enough to support this terribly designed wreck. I guess playing BotW on my Wii U will have to do. Oh yeah and Fuck Nintendo for their arrogance.
What I don't get is how Nintendo is being so arrogant when they kind of can't afford to be. Their last console flopped hard and now they've combined their portable and console developer teams so if this doesn't work then they don't have much to fall back on. And now there's all this bullshit they're having with the Switch? Why are they being like this?

nikos

And there will still be tons of apologists saying its fine lol

If by "apologists" you mean people who understand technology, how it works and its limitations, combined with a bit of common sense, then sure, it's just fine.

Seik

Banned
So come into this thread I read the OP, see the 3 hours charge time, think "that's pretty reasonable", and see that they're using a 4310 mAh battery, which is on the top end of what I would have expected. Good stuff.

And then I start reading the replies... holy hell. I know neogaf has a reputation for over-reacting to things, but this thread is just straight up nuts. Go outside, take a walk, have a breath of fresh air, and when you've calmed down you can come back and we can actually look at the facts.

*Snip of doom*

Stop making sense, you will kill this thread. :lol

3 hours isn't much, but I'll manage, for long trips with my GF I always let the 3DS plugged in the Jeep's power outlet, so it won't change much. My bus rides from home to work aren't even 2 hours total so I'm good as well, worst case, power outlets are everywhere at my job.

n0razi

If by "apologists" you mean people who understand technology, how it works and its limitations, combined with a bit of common sense, then sure, it's just fine.

Its not a limitation of technology, its Nintendo being cheap and putting a 4000mah battery in a modern tablet. The new ipad mini will be faster and have longer battery life

Nintendo has done this before, except last time you could at least upgrade the cheap battery, this time its sealed lol

41v4moJ2vCL.jpg

They also cheaped out with a USB-C connection without fast charging...every $99 budget phone coming out with USB-C is going to have fast charging.

It is not a limitation of technology at all

ffdgh

Oh hey that certainly sounds promising.
Let's talk facts: Nintendo says BOTW will play for 3 hours in portable mode and that the Switch takes 3 hours to charge fully. Your wishful analysis doesn't change the facts straight from Nintendo. People are rightly disappointed.
Did they ever mention if the 3 hour play time was at max brightness/low power mode off or whatever? If those options exist, I'm cool with play on the lowest settings.

it says it works for minimum 2.5 hours. with Zelda it plays for 3 hours. 3 hours is the equivalent of watching two full length movies.

even taking public transportation on a horrible day for me is a 2 hour experience tops. and part of that i can't be constantly staring down at a screen cos i am walking up stairs/purchasing tickets/seating myself/checking out babes/etc.

ggx2ac

Battery Size

At 4310 mAh, Switch has by far the highest-capacity battery of any gaming device ever made. Here's what's currently out there:

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

That's about twice the capacity of PS Vita or almost three and a half times the capacity of the 3DS or 2DS.

Now, you're surely saying "but X phone or Y tablet has such-and-such a capacity, Nintendo must be able to fit more in there!", but I'm willing to be X phone and Y tablet aren't actively cooled. A typical phone or tablet these days is basically a battery with some electronics and a screen attached. For a phone the battery could account for 60-70% of the internal volume, and it can be even higher for tablets.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of dedicating so much internal space to batteries, because it has to fit a fan and heatsink in there, which likely occupies as much as half the space between the screen and the rear of the case. Have a look at this rear-view photo of the Switch:

The blue box I've included is pretty much the best-case-scenario for how much space Nintendo can allocate to the battery in Switch. If you look at the fan vents at the top and bottom of the unit you can see where the heatsink and fan are going to sit (and I've been pretty conservative with the red box for this, as I'm not even including the area around the third vent to the lower right). Then on the left we've got space taken up by the game card slot, microSD slot, kickstand, and likely part of the logic board (which will overlap the cooling system).

There's no space for a bigger battery. The reason I say 4310 mAh is at the top end of what I would have expected is because there's just nowhere to put anything bigger. A 4310 mAh battery is basically Nintendo squeezing as big a battery as they possibly can in there. Quote me on this, when we see teardowns in March there isn't going to be some big gap where they could have put a bigger battery. They've squeezed in as much as they can without increasing the physical size of the device.

Charging

Regarding the "Switch doesn't do quick charging" claim, let's first do some basic maths. A 4310 mAh battery, assuming a standard 3.7V, comes to 15.95 Wh. For that battery to charge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, then at an absolute minimum, it would have to be charging at a rate of 15.95/3 = 5.3W. Standard USB 2 provides 2.5W of power, so it's physically impossible for Switch to charge so quickly without some form of "quick charging".

However, as several people have already pointed out, batteries don't charge at a flat rate from 0 to 100%, they charge more quickly for the first ~80%, and much more slowly for the final ~20%. It's quite likely that Switch's peak charging rate is anywhere from 10-15W, which is, once again, far more than a standard USB 2 charger would provide.

Finally, we have Nintendo's FCC listing for Switch last month, which gave us these little nuggets of information:

See that bit where it says that the (USB-C) AC adaptor can output DC at 15V? That, folks, means that the system uses USB Power Delivery Revision 2.0 Version 1.2 or later. Or, in layman's terms, quick charging.

So, unless Nintendo have broken both the laws of thermodynamics and some regular human laws by lying to the FCC (although I'd imagine they'd get into more trouble over the former), Switch is most definitely capable of quick charging by any definition.

Regarding the total charging time of 3 hours, this is pretty typical for a gaming device. The 3DS takes even longer at 3 and a half hours for a full charge, while the PS Vita takes 2 hours and 40 mins. And in both cases we're talking about far smaller batteries than Switch has.

People also need to keep in mind once again that li-ion batteries are much slower to charge for the last 20% or so. This is why phone manufacturers always give specs like "charges to 80% in an hour", and leave out the fact that the remaining 20% takes another hour. Anantech provides some useful charging graphs in their smartphone reviews (e.g. OnePlus 3T, Honor 8), and if you look through them you'll notice a trend that charging to 80% typically takes only half the time of charging fully to 100%. This is going to vary a little bit depending on the battery and charging tech used, but it's usually around that ratio.

Translating to Switch, what we're probably looking at is the device charging to 80% battery in 90 minutes or so. Which, for me at least, is pretty reasonable. Yeah, they probably could have got it down to 60 minutes by using a more expensive battery, more expensive power ICs and a more expensive charger, but I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where that's the difference between my Switch having a usable amount of charge or not.

- Switch's battery is as big as they could possibly fit in there given the active cooling

I guess it'd be easier to differentiate "quick charging" with some other term.

I forgot about the variable difference in voltage that it meant it used a form Power Delivery.

The Switch probably does charge fast to 80% in 90 minutes, I know my phone charges pretty quickly but it doesn't use any quick charge tech.

I'll see what I can revise in the OP.

What a misleading tittle.

About 2.5 to 6.5 hours = 3 hours

(?)

Switch charging time is 3 hours: the time it takes to charge the battery.

I'm so confused.

You never charge your phone at intervals throughout the day? You never use a portable battery for about any other device?

Its usb-c. My Pixel charger works with this. I do similar with my phone all the time - charge when I can if it's not 90%+

RRockman

Banned

And then I start reading the replies...

*snip*

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. lots of unreasonable hate in this thread.

Let's talk facts: Nintendo says BOTW will play for 3 hours in portable mode and that the Switch takes 3 hours to charge fully. Your wishful analysis doesn't change the facts straight from Nintendo. People are rightly disappointed.

Welp, which one was off, the FCC or Maxwell? One changes a lot of really basic shit in physics, and the other is a case of breaking the law.

Blizzard

Banned

Battery Size

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

Charging

This is a great post, but about the bolded at the bottom -- isn't the nVidia Shield's battery 7350 mAh? That's quite a bit more than the Switch.

badb0y

so you have never ever had to charge your phone during the day? Can you not charge your switch while you work? You must work in the woods between your epic commute and luxurious hour break.

I'm so confused.

You never charge your phone at intervals throughout the day? You never use a portable battery for about any other device?

Its usb-c. My Pixel charger works with this. I do similar with my phone all the time - charge when I can if it's not 90%+

Is this an Android/Windows thing? I haven't had to charge my phone during the day since I bought an iPhone 6S Plus, it easily lasts a full day and I spend like 6 hours in school with 3 hours commuting.

With my MacBook Pro lasts 6-10 hours depending on what I am doing.

I don't carry any chargers or battery packs because I don't need them, I haven't had a battery problem in like a year.

As for the Switch battery life I think it's reasonable however I don't think the charge time is reasonable at all given the existence of quick charge technology.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I mean, Thraktor post sounds good and all, but it goes against what Nintendo itself has stated about the battery/charging.

Why would they be so off about their own product?

MuchoMalo

Banned

Battery Size

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

Charging

So I guess we can add this to the ever growing list of unreasonable expectations for Switch. We're now at this:

$200
1080p or better screen
Tiny bezels
Performance on-par with Xbone
6-8+ hour battery life
8000+ mAh battery
1-hour full charge time
Super thin
Somehow catching up to PS4 in terms of third-party support in one fell swoop
A built-in 1TB HDD
Rewritable game cards
All games sold for $20-40

Switch is certainly one of the worst consoles ever created, but GAF is ridiculous. They can't have a single flaw without people throwing up their arms.

PS: My phone has USB C and Quick Charging, and now that I think about it the charge time does make sense.

I mean, Thraktor post sounds good and all, but it goes against what Nintendo itself has stated about the battery/charging.

Why would they be so off about their own product?

No, it's not off. What's off about it?

Blizzard

Banned
Is this an Android/Windows thing? I haven't had to charge my phone during the day since I bought an iPhone 6S Plus, it easily lasts a full day and I spend like 6 hours in school with 3 hours commuting.

With my MacBook Pro lasts 6-10 hours depending on what I am doing.

I don't carry any chargers or battery packs because I don't need them, I haven't had a battery problem in like a year.

As for the Switch battery life I think it's reasonable however I don't think the charge time is reasonable at all given the existence of quick charge technology.
It is using quick charging though, according to the post above.

For comparison, the Switch's battery is higher capacity than the 4100 mAh battery in the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 phone (http://www.anandtech.com/show/8655/the-huawei-ascend-mate-7-review/6).

Note that the charge time graph in the article takes about 3 hours to reach 100%, and about 2 hours in the fast charge phase to reach 80%. This is a smaller battery than the Switch has. Isn't that still a fast charge mechanism?

KingV

Its not a limitation of technology, its Nintendo being cheap and putting a 4000mah battery in a modern tablet. The new ipad mini will be faster and have longer battery life

Nintendo has done this before, except last time you could at least upgrade the cheap battery, this time its sealed lol

41v4moJ2vCL.jpg

They also cheaped out with a USB-C connection without fast charging...every $99 budget phone coming out with USB-C is going to have fast charging.

It is not a limitation of technology at all

You might want to check out the battery on the iPad mini 4... because it has less battery capacity than the switch.

Oh golly, this is awkward

- Zelda runs at 900p docked, 720p portable:
"It's not a fully powered console, it's portable!"

-Battery life is 2.5 - 6hr with 3hr charge:
"It's a powerful console that happens to be portable, it's ok!!"

At this point I'm not sure what the Switch is besides the easiest $300 I've ever saved in my life.

n0razi

You might want to check out the battery on the iPad mini 4... because it has less battery capacity than the switch.

Thats the point, the ipad doesnt need a huge battery since it already gets great battery life. Some other devices like the Shield tablet have much larger batteries to accommodate a hungry SoC. Nintendo could have made the switch 2mm thicker and put it a 6000mah battery (that is marginally more expensive) and had a 5-9hr device. But they didnt because they are Nintendo and make boneheaded decisions like this.

The Argus

I hope it's smart enough to let the battery drain a little when it's docked. Mine will be docked a majority of the time, would hate for that to kill the battery over time with a constant charge.

KingV

Thats the point, the ipad doesnt need a huge battery since it already gets great battery life. Some other devices like the Shield tablet have much larger batteries to accommodate a hungry SoC. Nintendo could have made the switch 2mm thicker and put it a 6000mah battery (that is marginally more expensive) and had a 5-9hr device. But they didnt because they are Nintendo and make boneheaded decisions like this.

Whoa, shield tablet has a pretty big battery.

The iPad would not get great battery life if you were running it at its max spec. It gets great battery life as long as you are just browsing the web or whatever, but will chew through battery quite fast when playing games.

I'd like more battery too, but can work with what it has.

Grief.exe

Battery Size

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

Charging

xzI9mAy.gif

Oh golly, this is awkward

- Zelda runs at 900p docked, 720p portable:
"It's not a fully powered console, it's portable!"

-Battery life is 2.5 - 6hr with 3hr charge:
"It's a powerful console that happens to be portable, it's ok!!"

At this point I'm not sure what the Switch is besides the easiest $300 I've ever saved in my life.

I think thats what we are totally seeing - expectations from a portable device and expectations from a home console clashing.

We've never had anything like this before so I guess the conflict makes sense

A question though - the rhetoric about 2mm thicker and 20-30% larger battery. Is that true/possible?

MuchoMalo

Banned

And then it would take even longer to charge. More complaining!

Guyver

If having the switch docked most of the time playing on the tv, wouldn't the constant charging affect the life span of the battery??

Blizzard

Banned
Not if they used the standard USB-C quick charging spec like every other device with a USB-C port
Hasn't it been pointed out in this thread that the Switch MUST be using said spec, unless they lied to the FCC and/or broke thermodynamic laws?

Blizzard

Banned
Damn wizards.
There may be different quick charge speeds. I'm reading conflicting reports, but some people suggest third-party chargers can charge the nVidia Shield in 3 hours or so.

So I think the Switch is using SOME part of the quick charge spec but not necessarily the absolute fastest possible (perhaps to prevent the battery from degrading?).

Shengar

Only with the mythical portable PS4 with 1440p screens and 10 hours battery life device that will satisfy these people.

Two Words

If people don't care to play console games like Zeldaon the go a lot, which they don't, why even make the Switch?

It's quite silly.

Nintendo was designing the Switch with the mind set that a device which can be used as homeconsole and handheld at the same time would hit an untapped market.
But because of all kind of technical reasons and Nintendo antics we are now having a poorly powered homeconsole and a handheld with a poor running time. And everything for a nice premium price tag.

It's a mess.

Battery Size

3DS / 2DS - 1300 mAh
New 3DS - 1400 mAh
(New) 3DS XL - 1750 mAh
PS Vita - 2200 mAh

Charging

All this is telling me is that the tech simply isn't there and that the Switch can't have a reasonable battery life given current technology. In other words, this isn't the route that Nintendo should've taken, because even in the best case scenario you still come out with a portable that's pretty bad at being portable.

Thraktor is godlike. Get rekt you knee jerk reactionary imbeciles

OK whose alt is this?

Shengar

Is there any game on the iPad that as demanding as BotW?
This is why gaf so insufferable sometimes. They just cite numbers without any proper context behind to prove their "argument".

Thraktor is godlike. Get rekt you knee jerk reactionary imbeciles

You're wrong if you think hard facts will stop people from making kneejerk comments.

Top Bottom