• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch charging time is 3 hours, non-removable battery

It's not that it's just bad, it's earth shattering to some people in a comical way. It's ok to be disappointed and all but tone it down a bit.

Probably because gamers have been longing for a good Nintendo home console for a long time - since the Gamecube days basically. Instead they get shafted once again and got something NOBODY asked for - all in the name of Nintendo trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice. They tried that shit with the Wii U and failed miserably, so naturally people thought they would give up and come to their senses. Everyone figured that Ninty finally "got" it, and would focus on building us a solid, current gen platform. NOPE!

Instead we get 1 2 Switch! And not even free like with Wii sports. That shit is Fifty. Fucking. Dollars. Greedy ass mofos.

Everything about this thing screams greed - from the overpriced $299 pricetag, to the paid online, to the ridiculously overpriced accessories.

Will I end up buying one? Of course. How the hell else am I supposed to to place Mario Odyssey?

such a wasted opportunity of not adding quick charge or something, that could mitigate the low operating time of the battery

the moment they chose nvidia i knew it was gonna have shit battery

Frodo

The hardware criticisms remind me when the Surface Pro first launched. People who want a home console can crticize it for not being powerful enough and people who want it as a portable will complain that it's not portable enough. It's probably pointless to fight against the tide of criticisms and probably better to just let the product speak for itself when it gets into the hands of people.

My thoughts exactly.

Lmao it isn't 2 hours. You idiots are forgetting brightness settings, rumble intensity settings, volume, Bluetooth, WiFi, How many Joycons are connected ect.

If you are smart and actually know how to use a tablet to the best of its efficiency then 4 hours will seem extremely easy.

4310 mAh????

BIG mistake Nintendo, my phone almost has that and has a screen that's a couple of inches less in size.

You're touting this as portable??

this is like almost a perfect parody post of all the dimwits that rushed into threads like OMG switch is only 720p? My phone from 3 years ago is 1080p LOL NINTENDO cmon step it up your 2 slo

Hubb

The manual states 2 hours 40 minutes from 0% charge. Not sure if the Slim is any faster but I know it has slightly longer battery life (its the one I own).

I'm going purely off my own experience, but I also don't charge it from 0%. Whatever the red battery represents is usually +/- a few minutes. I am surprised the manual states it takes that long.

the 3 hours doesn't really bother me though. I will almost never use it as a traditional handheld and I am sure I can keep it plugged in when I am playing in my bed/on the couch.

bomblord1

Banned
such a wasted opportunity of not adding quick charge or something, that could mitigate the low operating time of the battery

the moment they chose nvidia i knew it was gonna have shit battery

Have we considered quick charge could cause the system to overheat while in use? Like I honestly don't know but I know my phone caps how long it quick charges to prevent that. Is it possible the system produces significantly more heat making quick charging impossible?

Is it just me or is there so much mixed messaging on this device?

Like how the Joycon's work, how they charge, what's removable battery wise. having USB-C for fast charging and to not have use for it's purpose?

Like WTF.

That's not mixed messaging. It's lack of information.

In an age of fast chargers, once expensive in nature and only for the highest end phones, which are now fairly ubiquitous across the mobile industry and the likes of the cheap moto G4 and G4 plus have, (with a 1.83 hr charge according to anadtech) the 3 hour charge is not good. The 3 hour usage time is ehhhh, but this thread would likely not be as half as long if ninty just included cheap, modern fast charging.

Even including a 10w charger would have been fine,like iPads do, or selling an optional higher wattage charger. It looks like they have stuck a standard charger without thinking about higher capacities and called it a day. Fast charging is rapidly becoming a staple of the mobile industry, ninty sticking with archaic methods is disappointing. Yes it's likely a limitation of the nvidia soc, but all that talk about a custom soc, one would hope it also included Qol improvements for a portable device, not just grunt.

This issue is pretty much what I expected. It's every other problem this console has that is a deal breaker for me

I can tolerate the other stuff for the most part since i'm not a heavy online gamer. Hopefully the next iteration of Switch would improve the battery charging/life

I'm not familiar with the hardware/software - Is it possibly for them to just enable fast charge?

Papacheeks

Banned
The conference was awful and Nintendo has done a piss poor job getting out the details for this product. Would be somewhat forgivable/understandable if this thing was releasing in Fall 2017 but it will be here in March.

Yea, feels like they are not ready to launch this. Feels like they did have issues or something last year and everything feels rushed.

Also feel that if the Joycon's didnt have all the weird sensors and shit and were just mini controllers that detach they would be far cheaper.

This console so far feels like a mess, I fucking hope the future games we've seen help turn this shit around and they get this peripheral stuff sorted.

That's not mixed messaging. It's lack of information.

Wait so press are not getting this info to relay? What about retailers? Jesus what the fuck are they doing over at Nintendo, feels like they have no clue what their own product is. This is even worse than Wii U. Wii U's hardware was fine to a certain degree, it was messaging on what it was. But you knew what worked with it and all that, plus what battery goes where. This is a cluster fuck if I ever did see one, and how the hardcore Nintendo fans can support this is fucking beyond me.

RPGam3r

Probably because gamers have been longing for a good Nintendo home console for a long time - since the Gamecube days basically. Instead they get shafted once again and got something NOBODY asked for - all in the name of Nintendo trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice. They tried that shit with the Wii U and failed miserably, so naturally people thought they would give up and come to their senses. Everyone figured that Ninty finally "got" it, and would focus and giving us a solid, current gen platform. NOPE!

Instead we get 1 2 Switch! And not even free like with Wii sports. That shit is Fifty. Fucking. Dollars. Greedy ass mofos.

Everything about this thing screams greed - from the overpriced $299 pricetag, to the paid online, to the ridiculously overpriced accessories.

Will I end up buying one? Of course. How the hell else am I supposed to to place Mario Odyssey?

I wanted this, $300 isn't that much, paid online is standard across the board time to accept it.

Bsigg12

I can tolerate the other stuff for the most part since i'm not a heavy online gamer. Hopefully the next iteration of Switch would improve the battery charging/life

Is it possibly for them to just enable fast charge?

No. The chipset has to support it as well and if they didn't build it with it in mind it won't work.

Lmao it isn't 2 hours. You idiots are forgetting brightness settings, rumble intensity settings, volume, Bluetooth, WiFi, How many Joycons are connected ect.

If you are smart and actually know how to use a tablet to the best of its efficiency then 4 hours will seem extremely easy.

Thanks for enlightening all of us idiots in such a polite way.

I'm also sure Nintendo doesn't know about these settings either and measured the 2 hours of play time with max. brightness at full volume and bluetooth enabled.

They have constantly called it a console with multiple different ways to play. It is not a handheld, it is not a hybrid. Y'all are the ones that keep saying that. The battery life is unsurprising.

Is it just me or is there so much mixed messaging on this device?

Like how the Joycon's work, how they charge, what's removable battery wise. having USB-C for fast charging and to not have use for it's purpose?

Like WTF.

It's been stated multiple times in the thread that quick charging is NOT a feature of USB-C. There are many reasons to use USB-C that have nothing to do with quick charge.

People should educate themselves before ranting about technical things they don't understand.

No. The chipset has to support it as well and if they didn't build it with it in mind it won't work.

damn you nvidia or whomever did not think this was important

the dream is dead :(
quick-charge-usb-c-qualcomm-quick-charge-30-630.gif

Ninja Dom

Probably because gamers have been longing for a good Nintendo home console for a long time - since the Gamecube days basically. Instead they get shafted once again and got something NOBODY asked for - all in the name of Nintendo trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice. They tried that shit with the Wii U and failed miserably, so naturally people thought they would give up and come to their senses. Everyone figured that Ninty finally "got" it, and would focus and giving us a solid, current gen platform. NOPE!

What are you talking about? We've known since October how the Switch was gonna be. A hybrid console. Is this what you're saying "NOBODY" asked for??

What did you want? A home Nintendo console that was a direct competitor to the PS4? Nintendo told us over 10 years ago that they weren't interested in a console arms race. But you're insisting that they should join a direct arms race.

It's not that it's just bad, it's earth shattering to some people in a comical way. It's ok to be disappointed and all but tone it down a bit.

At this point there's just so much negative buzz around this thing that any news is treated like this. I'm not what people expected as far as battery life is concerned with this thing.

Probably because gamers have been longing for a good Nintendo home console for a long time - since the Gamecube days basically. Instead they get shafted once again and got something NOBODY asked for - all in the name of Nintendo trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice. They tried that shit with the Wii U and failed miserably, so naturally people thought they would give up and come to their senses. Everyone figured that Ninty finally "got" it, and would focus on building us a solid, current gen platform. NOPE!

People were pretty excited for this console so "nobody asked for" is hyperbolic. And the hardware itself is fine for what Nintendo does. It's just that Nintendo is making awful choices around it.

Last night they should have displayed how this console will unify the handheld and home console games for Nintendo. That's a huge plus. But they didn't do that. All they did was show their terrible price and bullshit online paid service instead of showing people why they want one which is obviously the games.

Jarmel

Banned
Was 3DS the most powerful handheld around? Did 3DS sit in a dock and constantly charge? Its not the same situation. IMO Nintendo sacrificed enough for handheld mode (too much actually, I'd have liked more performance even if it meant only 2 hours play time), I'd hate for them to have sacrificed even more just for longer play time on a device which is meant to be a console and only played away from the living room when needed.

Nvidia Shield

Charge Time: 4.56 hours
Play Time: 6.39 hours

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-shield-tegra-4-android-geforce-review,3576-12.html

reKon

Banned
The hardware criticisms remind me when the Surface Pro first launched. People who want a home console can crticize it for not being powerful enough and people who want it as a portable will complain that it's not portable enough. It's probably pointless to fight against the tide of criticisms and probably better to just let the product speak for itself when it gets into the hands of people.

I'll probably really enjoy the product, but my main issue is the price and the fact that the main games I want for it won't be out so there's no point in purchasing it earlier.

I hope I don't have issues with controlling smash on that controller

Kareha

I'm feeling that SoC nVidia offered is.. while very reasonable price wise, as for battery life it is simply not competitive at all.

That SoC was mainly designed to be plugged in the wall at all times like in the case of the Shield TV, so Im not surprised the battery life is terrible. My Shield tablet gets around 3 hours unplugged when playing 3D games and thats running Kepler.

LordRaptor

Everyone figured that Ninty finally "got" it, and would focus on building us a solid, current gen platform. NOPE!

Nobody "figured" that from the moment the NX was announced at a mobile phone conference, through the 3DS nearing the end of its natural life cycle, up to people making 3D printed fakes.

bomblord1

Banned
Because you are using the battery while playing...

This can happen on phones too.

I guess I'm not understanding. So using the battery while playing prevents the battery from charging?

How then does it charge when docked? Why can't plugging it in normally charge it the same way it does when docked?

Papacheeks

Banned
It's been stated multiple times in the thread that quick charging is NOT a feature of USB-C. There are many reasons to use USB-C that have nothing to do with quick charge.

People should educate themselves before ranting about technical things they don't understand.

So is this just an example of it's uses or what it actually was created for?

What Is USB-C?
USB-C is the emerging industry-standard connector for transmitting both data and power. The USB-C connector was developed by the USB Implementers Forum, the group of companies that has developed, certified, and shepherded the USB standard. It counts more than 700 companies in its membership, including Apple, Dell, HP, Intel, Microsoft, and Samsung. This is important, because it's part of why USB-C has been so readily accepted by PC manufacturers. Contrast this with the earlier Apple-promoted (and developed) Lightning and MagSafe connectors, which had limited acceptance beyond Apple products, and, thanks to USB-C, are soon to be completely obsolete.

Is It Like Micro USB?
The USB-C connector looks similar to a micro USB connector at first glance, but it's slightly thicker to accommodate its best feature: Like Lightning and MagSafe, the USB-C connector has no up or down orientation. As long as the connector is lined up properly, you don't have to flip the connector to plug it in. The cables also have the same connector on both ends, so you don't have to figure out which end to plug in, which has not been the case with all the USB cables we've been using for the past 20 years.

What's USB-C's Relationship to USB 3.1?
The default protocol with the new USB-C connector is USB 3.1, which, at 10Gbps, is theoretically twice as fast as USB 3.0. The minor wrinkle is that USB 3.1 ports can also exist in the original, larger shape; these ports are called USB 3.1 Type-A. But it's much more common to see USB 3.1 ports with USB-C connectors.

Port Support
USB-C supports sending simultaneous video signals and power streams, which offers an enormous amount of flexibility in terms of what you're able to do. This means that you can connect to and power a native DisplayPort, MHL, or HDMI device, or connect to almost anything else assuming you have the proper adapter and cables. (See the next section for more on this.) The USB Implementers Forum also recently announced that it's updating the USB-C spec to include audio, which means the headphone jack could be heading the way of the dodo on computers just as it already is on the Apple iPhone 7

PCMAG

If I'm off base let me know I don't use usb-c yet, some people at the station do for their Production suits on their mac's but that's about it. So USB-C doesn't charge quicker since it's got faster lanes in it's connection?

Also Don't know if this is relevant or not?

USB-C

Manufacturers can technically implement Quick Charge in any USB port, but that seems less likely to become more common going forward due to the new USB power standards available with USB-C connectors.1 While QC works with the cables you already have, USB-C is a completely new connector that will soon replace ports on all sorts of devices.

So companies can support it with USB-C or not? I am seriously asking?

Jarmel

Banned
In an age of fast chargers, once expensive in nature and only for the highest end phones, which are now fairly ubiquitous across the mobile industry and the likes of the cheap moto G4 and G4 plus have, (with a 1.83 hr charge according to anadtech) the 3 hour charge is not good. The 3 hour usage time is ehhhh, but this thread would likely not be as half as long if ninty just included cheap, modern fast charging.

Even including a 10w charger would have been fine,like iPads do, or selling an optional higher wattage charger. It looks like they have stuck a standard charger without thinking about higher capacities and called it a day. Fast charging is rapidly becoming a staple of the mobile industry, ninty sticking with archaic methods is disappointing. Yes it's likely a limitation of the nvidia soc, but all that talk about a custom soc, one would hope it also included Qol improvements for a portable device, not just grunt.

They definitely should have had some custom SOC if this is the result.

guek

Banned
It actually seems like a lot of you are trying desperately to justify all Nintendo's mistakes. This isn't good. Denial isn't good. Better let them know what's wrong so there's any possibility of fixing in the future.

OR it's something that might personally bother you but wont bother me. It's got nothing to do with denial.

BigEmil

I guess I'm not understanding. So using the battery while playing prevents the battery from charging?

How then does it charge when docked?
If your playing a very graphically intensive game that can heat up the device more and you also charge while playing it, to prevent overheating the power control will automatically make sure to keep it steady and to not charge it while it's too hot which CNA add abit more to it

bomblord1

Banned
If your playing a very graphically intensive game that can heat up the device more and you also charge while playing it, to prevent overheating the power control will automatically make sure to keep it steady and to not charge it while it's too hot which CNA add abit more to it

So how does the system run at a higher clock and charge at the same time when docked?

KingV

3 hour charge time?

Gotdamn. Wtf are they smoking?

I'm on the Switch boat say one dude. But 3hrs to hit max charge is ridiculous. I can't think of a single device I own (I have quite a bit) that takes 3hrs to charge. That's ludicrous, and I'm pretty sure we can safely bet that this will go through quite a few revisions. But it seems battery tech is still at a stand still or the food shit is too expensive.

A portable charger doesn't excuse this imo. If they intended the device to be mobile then this should have at least been addressed.

An iPad air 2 takes over 3 hours to charge from empty.

What are you talking about? We've known since October how the Switch was gonna be. A hybrid console. Is this what you're saying "NOBODY" asked for??

What did you want? A home Nintendo console that was a direct competitor to the PS4? Nintendo told us over 10 years ago that they weren't interested in a console arms race. But you're insisting that they should join a direct arms race.

Sorry, I probably should have specified that I was referring to when they first announced the NX - before we started getting rumors that it was a Hybrid. Probably wrong to generalize about what people wanted. Then again, I also remember the endless threads about what the NX power might be like and how seemingly everyone was hoping for comparable current gen specs. Who wouldn't want to see Zelda or Mario in all their glory on good hardware?

I suppose if you look at the switch as more of a handheld that can also connect to your TV (which I think is what it really is instead of vice versa, as Nintendo would have you believe), then you're getting a pretty beefy system. $299 is reasonable considering the Vita was about that much when it launched.

However that's kind of a bullshit argument too because it's not backwards compatible with 3DS. The value proposition for the switch would be infinitely better if it allowed you access to the 3DS's awesome roster of games.

Ninja Dom

How then does it charge when docked?

In portable mode the charger is charging the battery at a lower rate. The battery is using more power running the system and the game than the charger is providing it with.

Happens on iPhone and iPad frequently when doing power intensive things like playing graphically intensive games or apps like recording very long 4K/30fps videos with the flash/camera light on. On these devices you actually see the battery % indicator tick down even though it's charging.

Kacho

Saying "we got shafted again" ignores the fact that we had a pretty good idea on what the Switch was going to be from the start. It was never going to be a powerhouse console that directly competed with the PS4 or Xbox One. You're either being disingenuous or you weren't paying attention.

I agree with you on your other points and share your frustration there.

This is a cluster fuck if I ever did see one, and how the hardcore Nintendo fans can support this is fucking beyond me.

How a Nintendo fan can support it is truly the easiest question to answer:
It will play the next Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Metroid, etc. It is literally all I need to know. I'm not missing those games. And I'm not going to wait a few years until the battery lasts four hours because then I'll have to catch up on 15 games. I have too many games I want to play as it is across a whole stack of systems.

In what way? I'm going to an event tomorrow night and will be away from my house for roughly 8-10 hours. I will bring my iPhone charger. It's not that abnormal to take a charging cable with you when you take portable electronics on the go.

It charges via USB-C..iPhone and Android charge via USB cables as well. I'm just not sure how this differs at all between the devices?

Its not a phone or tablet with the same functionality. It serves 0 purpose outside of Nintendo games. Fine for you, for most it's a device that serves no purpose outside of that. Its another thing to plug in and lug around. This thing being a hybrid is a mistake. It's limiting in so many ways. It's restricting its potential. 3rd party and 1st party will suffer because of a gimmick.

"Stop the Nintendo hate" you said. How about stop cheering them on into inevitable failure. Cursing the world that won't bend to their will. Nintendo needs to change to adapt. Not the other way around.

Top Bottom