• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch charging time is 3 hours, non-removable battery

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They have constantly called it a console with multiple different ways to play. It is not a handheld, it is not a hybrid. Y'all are the ones that keep saying that. The battery life is unsurprising.

Then you have to ask why bother with the portable aspect at all if they're going to half ass it on so many fronts. Its a shame because the games look like a lot of fun.

bomblord1

Banned
In portable mode the charger is charging the battery at a lower rate. The battery is using more power running the system and the game than the charger is providing it with.

Happens on iPhone and iPad frequently when doing power intensive things like playing graphically intensive games or apps like recording very long 4K/30fps videos with the flash/camera light on. On these devices you actually see the battery % indicator tick down even though it's charging.

So why can't the "charge" function run the same as how it charges when it is docked? I mean the power is being delivered in the same manner via the same port isn't it?

This is the what I'm currently hung up on.

I wanted this, $300 isn't that much, paid online is standard across the board time to accept it.

Well I hope Ninty delivers then. They have a longggggg way to go. It's laughable to even talk about their online in the same vein as PSN or XBL - but I hope to be proven wrong.

Have those smartphone to talk to people online rumors been dispelled yet? Because if not, well.. that's already a shitty way to kick things off.

RPGam3r

So why can't the "charge" function run the same as how it charges when it is docked? I mean the power is being delivered in the same manner via the same port isn't it?

The charge will be throttled due to heat produced by the screen that it doesn't need to consider when docked. Still charging though.

Ninja Dom

Its not a phone or tablet with the same functionality. It serves 0 purpose outside of Nintendo games. Fine for you, for most it's a device that serves no purpose outside of that. Its another thing to plug in and lug around. This thing being a hybrid is a mistake. It's limiting in so many ways. It's restricting its potential. 3rd party and 1st party will suffer because of a gimmick.

"Stop the Nintendo hate" you said. How about stop cheering them on into inevitable failure. Cursing the world that won't bend to their will. Nintendo needs to change to adapt. Not the other way around.

As I said to the other guy, we've know it's been a hybrid for almost 3 months. How long do you wanna keep complaining for?

LordPusha

In portable mode the charger is charging the battery at a lower rate. The battery is using more power running the system and the game than the charger is providing it with.

Happens on iPhone and iPad frequently when doing power intensive things like playing graphically intensive games or apps like recording very long 4K/30fps videos with the flash/camera light on. On these devices you actually see the battery % indicator tick down even though it's charging.

So you can't charge and play in portable mode !?

Ninja Dom

While docked the screen is off and the graphics and sound are being sent via HDMI to a fully independently powered screen and speaker system (your TV).

Madao

Yes, this is the first time this is a problem. Not a problem with some smartphones and tablets...

The battery life makes sense when comparing to other tablets while gaming.

i've never owned a single device in my life with a non-removable battery.

the smartphone i own can have the battery replaced and, in fact, i just replaced it last month because it was old and wasn't holding a charge. new one makes my phone seem like new.

non-removable batteries are bad and devices that come with that are poorly designed.

I wanted this, $300 isn't that much, paid online is standard across the board time to accept it.

Yes pay for a subscription service for a second console I'm going to buy that's just gonna sit there and wait for a Nintendo game to come out

I would agree with you if Nintendo had 3rd party support like other consoles do but they don't

Steejee

Alright, So it's pulling too much power with the screen and speakers on.

It should be able to charge (albeit slowly) if you're playing it while plugged in to the AC Adapter. Wii U gamepad does.

What situations it may outpace an external battery is a bit of an unknown.

bomblord1

Banned
It should be able to charge (albeit slowly) if you're playing it while plugged in to the AC Adapter. Wii U gamepad does.

What situations it may outpace an external battery is a bit of an unknown.

Another question Is it possible that it could run entirely off the charger power when plugged in and just stop running off the battery so the battery could charge more effectively?

TylerD

That would ameliorate so much frustration on GAF.

But... but... why can't it be lite and closer to power to a PS4/XBONE and charge in 1.5 hrs and have a minimum battery life of 5+ hrs and have less bezel (bigger screen!) and have additional horsepower built in to the dock and come in at $249 with a game included?

Doesn't seem all that unreasonable!

/s

ngower

Its not a phone or tablet with the same functionality. It serves 0 purpose outside of Nintendo games. Fine for you, for most it's a device that serves no purpose outside of that. Its another thing to plug in and lug around. This thing being a hybrid is a mistake. It's limiting in so many ways. It's restricting its potential. 3rd party and 1st party will suffer because of a gimmick.

"Stop the Nintendo hate" you said. How about stop cheering them on into inevitable failure. Cursing the world that won't bend to their will. Nintendo needs to change to adapt. Not the other way around.

I'm not sure I'm cheering them into failure. I just don't see the Switch as THE END OF NINTENDO!!1!1one!! It has some issues for sure, but you cannot actually buy the overwhelming anti-Nintendo vitriol some people on this forum are throwing out? Nintendo didn't meet their unrealistic expectations and defy science therefore it's a failure? Give it a chance.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
When has any device gotten more than 3-4 hours of battery for console-level graphics?

My Samsung S7 Edge shits the bed when I play anything with intensive 3D graphics.

Fuchsdh

it's like Nintendo is trying to make the world's worst console

Yep. Either you get all-day battery life and have a sealed-in battery, or you have a removable battery since you're gonna be chewing through juice gaming on the go. This is the absolute worst decision they could make at this point, considering the damn thing is not that portable from the start.

When has any device gotten more than 3-4 hours of battery for console-level graphics?

My Samsung S7 Edge shits the bed when I play anything with intensive 3D graphics.

I get longer than that playing 3D games on my iPhone, even the graphics-heavy titles.

Paracelsus

The time is not an issue, but Non-removable should be lawsuit material, like when the DS3 is acting up, you open it and realize the battery is fatter than a thanksgiving turkey. Well, that is technically removable, but that still means opening it up, removing the pin plug and either finding a better clone battery or removing it and living off usb.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Well then hopefully it'll get those across the board online multiplayer games too like CoD, Battlefield, Destiny, Overwatch, and sports games.

The 360/PS3 port of FIFA is a start I guess.

Ninja Dom

Another question Is it possible that it could run entirely off the charger power when plugged in and just stop running off the battery so the battery could charge more effectively?

Probably not. If you were to accidentally pull the cable out then the "switch over" from charger power to battery power would have to occur quickly enough so as not to affect gameplay. Especially if the battery hasn't charged to a sufficient level to sustain the game on its own power.

So is this just an example of it's uses or what it actually was created for?

PCMAG

If I'm off base let me know I don't use usb-c yet, some people at the station do for their Production suits on their mac's but that's about it. So USB-C doesn't charge quicker since it's got faster lanes in it's connection?

Also Don't know if this is relevant or not?

USB-C

So companies can support it with USB-C or not? I am seriously asking?

what naked snake is trying to say is that, Quick Charge isnt much bout the type of USB but if it's Qualcomm licensed to use Quick Charge since it's their invention.

Have we considered quick charge could cause the system to overheat while in use? Like I honestly don't know but I know my phone caps how long it quick charges to prevent that. Is it possible the system produces significantly more heat making quick charging impossible?

last time i had a look at nvidia's SoC they arent Quick Charge certified but i had hopes been a custom SoC from Nintendo and Nvidia they would implement it with all that "gaming on the go" and what not. that's why it doesnt support quick charge because just as-is nvidia's SoC doesnt support it

Papacheeks

Banned
Well then hopefully it'll get those across the board online multiplayer games too like CoD, Battlefield, Destiny, Overwatch, and sports games.

The 360/PS3 port of FIFA is a start I guess.

Savage as fuck.

what naked snake is trying to say is that, Quick Charge isnt much bout the type of USB but if it's Qualcomm licensed to use Quick Charge since it's their invention.

Ah gotcha, so basically there would be royalties or something Nintendo would have to pay to use that sort of feature?

bomblord1

Banned
Probably not. If you were to accidentally pull the cable out then the "switch over" from charger power to battery power would have to occur quickly enough so as not to affect gameplay. Especially if the battery hasn't charged to a sufficient level to sustain the game on its own power.

I'm fairly certain that's what happens when you undock it. And all the videos I've seen seems to indicate it being instant.

TylerD

I think some people couldn't hear Nintendo calling it a home console because their crying was drowning them out.

Royally stupid question, but how do you I charge the thing if I take it away from the dock for a weekend? And if it's USB, does a cable come in the box?

Edit: NVM, just found out about the AC cable in a "what's in the box" post

So no one is going to answer my question about USB-C? My post shows that you can use USB-C to quick charge.

Unless what I put up sources is wrong or I'm missing something?

You CAN use USB-C to quick charge, but the chipset has to support it, and that's independent of USB-C. My phone supports quick charge and it doesn't have USB-C. They're not related.

Ninja Dom

I'm fairly certain that's what happens when you undock it. And all the videos I've seen seems to indicate it being instant.

That's true but the system may always have that battery power available and ready when docked to allow for the sudden undocking of the unit and the switch over of power source.

Mirk

So I guess the first thing I will be doing is opening it up and adding a larger battery. Because ifbthe wii u is any indication there will be plently of space for one.

they showed footage of you playing on a plane. I guess they should have shown the guy with a big ass portable battery.

The non removable battery is a stinker as it is for anything. My Ipad Pro had the best battery life but now its just not as good. These things go kaput.

bomblord1

Banned
So I guess the first thing I will be doing is opening it up and adding a larger battery. Because ifbthe wii u is any indication there will be plently of space for one.

Given the system size and the estimations of the battery capacity. I honestly doubt it. Even if you managed to pry it open without damaging it I doubt there would be any extra space for a larger one at all.

shiyrley

Banned
I wonder if this will charge with a 2.4A 20.000 mah USB A powerbank and the Google USB A to USB C cable? It should, right?

Given the system size and the estimations of the battery capacity. I honestly doubt it. Even if you managed to pry it open without damaging it I doubt there would be any extra space for a larger one at all.

Yes, internal space on modern portable electronics is a premium. Manufacturers go to great lengths to maximize its use. I think it's the main reason Apple removed the headphone jack from the iPhone, because it takes a lot of space that could be used for other things.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
But... but... why can't it be lite and closer to power to a PS4/XBONE and charge in 1.5 hrs and have a minimum battery life of 5+ hrs and have less bezel (bigger screen!) and have additional horsepower built in to the dock and come in at $249 with a game included?

Doesn't seem all that unreasonable!

/s

Or any one of those things.

Top Bottom