• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dev talk – 50,000 yen for a kit, Capcom wants to make AAA games, much more

I sincerely doubt they'd have to do significant research to determine an answer to that question. You'd take one look at the specs and that would tell you yes or no.
Please tell me you're kidding.

You do realize that people play Capcom games on laptops with less GPU power than a PS4, and that's without any specific optimization effort on Capcom's part other than providing low graphics settings?

It's definitely worth looking into how Switch games can be optimized, especially with things like FP16. Numbers don't tell you everything you need to know.

Oregano

Please tell me you're kidding.

You do realize that people play Capcom games on laptops with less GPU power than a PS4, and that's without any specific optimization effort on Capcom's part other than providing low graphics settings?

It's definitely worth looking into how Switch games can be optimized, especially with things like FP16. Numbers don't tell you everything you need to know.

Feel free to bookmark this post and gloat in a few months/years time.

Switch will not receive any AAA ports from PS4/XBO from Capcom.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

fingers crossed you're wrong

mvc-infinite-promotional.jpg

Astral Dog

They first said it won't. Now they say it will.

I think its safe to assume a few games will come from them,AAA ports or not

Nairume

Banned

For posterity, would you care to go ahead and define what AAA ports from PS4/Xbone entails for you? That way, if it does happen, we don't have to worry about goalposts being moved.

While I'm not exactly expecting it to get everything, it seems extremely foolish to say it won't happen period.

dlauv

Wouldn't it be weird if the Switch captured AAA development by being so cheap and easy to develop for, with enhanced ports going to PS4 and X1?

Oregano

They first said it won't. Now they say it will.

I think its safe to assume a few games will come from them,AAA ports or not

Or they were lying because they were on stage with Nintendo to hype the Switch.

For posterity, would you care to go ahead and define what AAA ports from PS4/Xbone entails for you? That way, if it does happen, we don't have to worry about goalposts being moved.

While I'm not exactly expecting it to get everything, it seems extremely foolish to say it won't happen period.

Anything that isn't from a previous gen or Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney or Sengoku Basara but even the latter is doubtful.

Wouldn't it be weird if the Switch captured AAA development by being so cheap and easy to develop for, with enhanced ports going to PS4 and X1?

Didn't happen with Wii; won't happen with Switch.

Nairume

Banned
Anything that isn't from a previous gen or Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney or Sengoku Basara but even the latter is doubtful.
Roger.

Mind that this is limited enough to where you are almost certainly going to be wrong, but kudos to setting a very defined goalpost. I trust you to stick to it in the future.

I never said it will, but I'm saying it's not something that would be de facto rejected by the company in question just because LOL SMALLER NUMBERS

Oregano

Roger.

Mind that this is limited enough to where you are almost certainly going to be wrong, but kudos to setting a very defined goalpost. I trust you to stick to it in the future.

Looking at what Capcom put on 3DS and Wii U I'm pretty confident in that.

I never said it will, but I'm saying it's not something that would be de facto rejected by the company in question just because LOL SMALLER NUMBERS

That's exactly what Tabata did with FFXV(as well as other devs).

Hey, they ported Dead Rising on the Wii! :p

And btw maybe you should stop sound like a wise-ass everytime you write down your opinion...

Nairume

Banned
Hey, they ported Dead Rising on the Wii! :p

And btw maybe you should stop sound like a wise-ass everytime you write down your opinion...
And SSF4 to the 3DS.

Clearly they try and make things work if they are interested enough in the platform, hence them working on getting their new in-house engine on the Switch.

Unless they are being lying liers about all this obviously fake news with them saying they are wanting to do things.

Oregano

And SSF4 to the 3DS.

Clearly they try and make things work if they are interested enough in the platform, hence them working on getting their new in-house engine on the Switch.

Unless they are being lying liers about all this obviously fake news with them saying they are wanting to do things.

...and yet the best they can for Switch is Street Fighter 2.

They're not even porting UMVC3 despite it being a Vita launch game.

Looking at what Capcom put on 3DS and Wii U I'm pretty confident in that.

Are we now saying Revelaitons wasn't a AAA game?

That's exactly what Tabata did with FFXV(as well as other devs).

Well sure (and FFXV is something that would be a nightmare to port anyhow), but are you really saying that Capcom internally flat out said no to the possibility of PS4/XBO ports but are bald-faced lying to the public about researching the possibility? Not all developers are created equal.

Oregano

Are we now saying Revelaitons wasn't a AAA game?

Well sure (and FFXV is something that would be a nightmare to port anyhow), but are you really saying that Capcom internally flat out said no to the possibility of PS4/XBO ports but are bald-faced lying to the public about researching the possibility? Not all developers are created equal.

Revelations wasn't and it was also announced pre-3DS and the sequel completely skipped Nintendo platforms.

There's the potential at least for street fighter 2 selling a lot more, never underestimate nostalgia

Nah, Street Fighter will bomb.

Oregano

Oh it will. The question is are you gonna change your definition of "AAA" when it happens? :)

He's talking shit as usual. His definition of AAA will be whatever excludes the Switch

I've already established what I would consider an AAA Capcom game.

It seems he's already decided that games running on portable hardware can't be AAA, because obviously no game that released on 3DS could ever be considered AAA

Revelations clearly wasn't AAA, compare/contrast it with Resident Evil 6 which came out that same year.

Ray Down

Banned
I will believe it when I see it Capcom.

I expect nothing much outside of Monster Hunter, if you really even want to call that AAA.

Oregano

Well the definition he just gave was explicitly something that wasn't MonHun, Ace Attorney, Basara, and not a last gen port, so him saying anything otherwise now is moving the goalposts.

Nah, I stand by what I said even though games like SSFIV and Ex Troopers would prove it wrong in the past. Revelations technically wouldn't of proven that definition wrong because it was exclusive at first.

Of course I don't think Switch is getting anything on that level anyway.

Revelations clearly wasn't AAA, compare/contrast it with Resident Evil 6 which came out that same year.

AAA has to do with budget and marketing, not the raw graphical quality.

Revelations was high-budget for a 3DS game, hardly anything else on the system could be considered to surpass its production values.

If I recall, someone from Capcom commented that the Wii couldn't even run RE5's title screen. They did made a compromised port of Dead Rising, though, so you may be downplaying Capcom's support if the Switch has any type of success.

What Capcom games use MT Framework. I know MvC4 will use Unreal 4 which is also supported on Switch.

I'm hoping we get MvC4 on Switch even if it means it's a watered down version. The game doesn't look that demanding and MvC3 managed to be ported on the Vita.

Pretty much their big AAA games from last gen. So Dead Rising, RE5 and 6, Dragon's Dogma Online, and the new Street Fighter for the Switch.

They also have Lite and Mobile versions.

Lite: RE Darkside Chronicles, Sengoku Basara

Mobile: Pretty much all of their 3DS and Vita games, including Monster Hunter, plus Ace Attorney for iOS.

EDIT: I really hope we get Monster Hunter with the visual fidelity of Monster Hunter Online. Because it'll actually have good gameplay!

Or they can't justify the money it costs to port their game / aren't willing to take the risk of releasing the game on a new Nintendo system, with a low install base that consists of mostly Nitnendo fans. Also, just because people are saying it's "easy and user-friendly" doesn't mean that it's not still a decent amount of work. Developer hours are expensive.

I really doubt it's as simple as "exclusive or spiteful"

I agree with you, but the point I bolded is also important. Yes there's more work, but simply being that much more simple to develop for not only saves money, but also saves time. This could also mean timely releases for the Switch. *cough*Watch Dogs on WiiU*cough*

Top Bottom