• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro controller takes the throne for me in terms of controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Wii U Pro has the best stick placement out of any official controller for any console.

Correct!

Wii-U-Pro-Controller.png

guek

Banned
Isn't the battery killer thing not true? Like somebody disconnected it and it didn't change much. I will say I've had serious issues with my R2 on multiple controllers.

O rly. I just assumed the light bar was a big contributor to battery drain.

is the DS4 battery life really that bad? Still have not picked up a PS4.
Worst controller battery life I've ever experienced, imo

I also have to agree and since using it for the first time I was actually surprised how comfortable it was. Amazing controller really and makes Zelda play even better.

I don't have an Xbox One, so I can't comment on that controller, but I do much prefer the Switch Pro controller over the DS4. It feels fantastic and I like the size of the buttons. Also, it's great that it comes with all the extras, such as gyro (bow aiming) and NFC (amiibo fun). Just my preference, I suppose.

Wallach

It's a really tough call for me between the Elite and the Pro. I like the Elite's construction slightly more, and the paddles are super useful (especially in PC games that tend to need a few more hotkeys than the average console game). There are definitely games I would not play without my Elite unless I switched over to keyboard & mouse.

I definitely like the face buttons and general ergonomics of the Pro more. The triggers I think are a toss up depending on what game you're playing, though overall I think I prefer buttons to analog triggers for most games.

Its a wonderful controller, I'm super happy with it. Price tag is still an insult though no matter what Nintendo fanboys say.

For me Its still behind the DS4:
Digital triggers vs analog (big deal)
Buttons aren't that comfortable to push and are too elevated.
DS4 trackpad is a godsend for opening maps and inventory alone considering how many times you open it in an open world game.
DS4 still has better ergonomics for using 4 shoulder buttons at the same time.
Dpad is way better on DS4.
+-/home/screenshot buttons aren't good or intuitive.

Sticks are equal I would say, they both feel wonderfully accurate and kill the XB1 controller.
Switch Pro has amazing feeling textured grips. Really nice and soothing to just rub lol.

It's really nice. Compared with the DS4, battery life, slightly better d-pad, rumble, and while they're not analog, the wider second shoulder buttons are nice. Nitpicks would be the d-pad is a step down from the CC Pro and Wii U Pro, the placement of the start/select/home/capture buttons, and grips are a touch too thin. I'm considering a second one for PC emulation/2D games when there's a sale.

The joy-cons in grip aren't that bad for Zelda because the motion controls help make up for the Vita analogs. But Pro is the way to go.

I have a lunar white XB1 pad I'd like to use more but between the Steam controller, DS4, and now Switch Pro, I don't know if I can give up motion aiming.

Jimrpg

The Wii U Pro cost me $20.

The Switch Pro is $69.

The DS4 is also overrated with way worse battery life than the DS3 and analog nubs that just rub off.

Air

Banned
The Xbox 1 elite controller seems like it'd be the granddaddy of controllers but I've never held it. The switch pro controller is definitely Nintendo's best. Finally beating the wavebird

Kilau

Gold Member
It can look pretty bad on black, I don't see any fingerprints on my white one though. It looks great after four or so years.

I should have gone with white, but I wanted everything to match. Still a great controller for playing BOTW.

You guys are forgetting that Nintendo 's switch is the only current gen console that lacks a headphone jack which majorly sucks!
Eh. Not a big deal at all for me. I do know that people care about that kind of thing though. But I never used the headphone jacks on my DS4 or One controller.

Yeah, it is for me too. Every other controller I have one or two issues with, but the switch is basically perfect

(okay except for the digital triggers, but that's only in terms of functionality and not feel)

They have a system for that, it's called the Wii U lol

..................or the actual switch

ZeroX03

Banned
Not to mention its god tier battery life. Does the Switch Pro Controller have that?

Wii U Pro has 80
Switch Pro has 40

Still leagues ahead of the rest. The Switch dock is always powered even if the system isn't in there so it's very easy to keep charged.

Jumeira

Banned
Xbox Elite is king. Seems like Xbox layout is popular among Nintendo fans too, asymmetrical twin sticks are the best .

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
SPro > XBO > DS4

DS4 feels cheap to me and battery life is a joke.

XBO has some iffy shoulder buttons but otherwise is comfortable as hell and feels sturdy.

Switch Pro doesn't have a headset jack but feels as comfortable as the XBO controller but with better shoulder buttons. Battery life is way better than DS4.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U Pro has 80
Switch Pro has 40

Still leagues ahead of the rest. The Switch dock is always powered even if the system isn't in there so it's very easy to keep charged.

Why on earth would the battery life be lower? They can't be that different, technology wise.

Exuro

Why on earth would the battery life be lower? They can't be that different, technology wise.
Well it has gyro. And I'm not sure how power efficient hd rumble is compared to the traditional style so that could play into it. Also nfc though I'm guessing that's not something that is always on.

I really like the feel of the controller. Super comfortable for my hands. Kind of surprised there's no pivot on the dpad though.

molnizzle

Better ergonomics than the Xbone controller for sure.

Digital triggers are also better for every genre but racing, so I tend to prefer them as well.

Switch Pro is probably my favorite now too.

Redd

is the DS4 battery life really that bad? Still have not picked up a PS4.

It's not good. Lets just say I keep one controller plugged in at all times just in case the one I'm using starts the low battery blinking nonsense.

Besides the battery the DS4 is my favorite made by Sony. First time I could wreck in shooters because of how well the thumbsticks worked.

Maniel

Banned
I really love the switch pro controller, but it needed to have analog triggers. Because of that it's still a toss up for me between it and the Xbox one controller

Lorcain

I'd rank my pc xbo bluetooth controller and the switch pro a tie, they're both top tier. Ergonomically the switch pro is really well designed. It fits perfectly in my hands.

Initially I liked the DS4, but it's a distant 3rd to the xbo controller and switch pro. I find myself holding it canted slightly forward after longer sessions, which is weird because I don't do that with any other controller.

Kyzer

Banned
I agree with OP almost exactly. Slightly better than the ds4, due to features like motion hd rumble amiibo usb c and battery life. If it had analog triggers it would be no contest

Crayon

DS4 was on my controller throne easily, I absolutely love using it. But when I'm playing with the pro during zelda it's like controllergasms nonstop lol

That battery life, man

That battery is maddening.

Man you are making me tempted to go buy a pro controller but I already like the joycons very much both split and on the grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom