• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro controller takes the throne for me in terms of controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love mine, and I think I like it more than my Lunar White XB1 controller. It's just so comfy, and the shoulder buttons feel amazing. Not upset about the lack of analog triggers, pretty much only driving games make use of them anyway.

Do people auto discredit the Elite controller because of the price tag?

Serious question

Fair enough

Elite shouldn't count. Just as we don't count the shit ton of other premium controllers.

And the switch pro controller isn't a premium controller. It's an alternate controller made for form factor.

I'd put the xb1 > switch pro > ds4

bomblord1

Banned
At 10x the battery of the PS4 controller I have no choice but to put as my best. 360 controller is still one of the best in the hands though but this feels just as good especially with the rubber on the hand grips it's well worth the price

-shadow-

It really just lacks a headphone jack. Such a simple inclusion that's absolutely mind blowing that it's missing.

Wii U Pro has 80
Switch Pro has 40

Still leagues ahead of the rest. The Switch dock is always powered even if the system isn't in there so it's very easy to keep charged.
It now includes NFC, gyro/motion and the HD rumble. With all turned on it makes sense. But I believe you can actually disable both the NFC and rumble. Not sure about the gyro however.

I feel like I they all have strengths and weaknesses. I frequently switch between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 controller on my PC. I haven't got to try the Switch Pro controller yet, so I can't speak to that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I personally like the Wii U controller much more. Switch Controller is fine, but to me its more like "Above Average".

The odd thing is even with a nearly identical layout of the Xbox 360 controller, I still enjoy the 360 controller significantly more (Likely due to the grips)

If I had the option to use the Wii U Pro controller, I would use it.

Wedzi

Banned
Honestly I'm just happy we live in a time where all three major console makers have a great controller lol

They're all interchangeable to me. Playing certain games can put one over the other but I wouldn't say one is definitively the best. My big ass hands make me like the Xbox and Switch pro controllers with their asymmetrical sicks a little more but by no means would I call the Dualshock 4 uncomfortable. Though the Switch pro controller will probably get me to retire my Game Cube controller for smash so that says something lol

But yeah the elite controller is on another level just due to the customizable nature of it plus the premium parts. I bet we see a revision soon to go along side Project Scorpio.

Do people auto discredit the Elite controller because of the price tag?

Serious question

Most people haven't used it because of the price tag.

Anyway, OT: I love the Pro Controller. I think it's even more conformable than the Xbone, PS4, and GC controllers. It has a great weight, tons of features, and of course it's very comfortable to hold.

My only gripes are the lack of analogue triggers and audio out. The tries still feel very good though.

xbox one elite controller > all controllers
giphy.gif

jblank83

Admittedly I haven't spent much time with the X1 controller, but everything about the Pro-Con is better. The grip angle, the grip ergonomics, the feel of the face buttons, and on and on.

I love it and I hope it gets official Steam support.

The Dude

Xbox One S white is definitely nice, I love mine.

That's the thing, pro, ds4 and the xbox1S white are 3 damn awesome controllers

I really dig the pro. I don't care for the Xbox controller as it cramps my hands for some odd reason. The newer S controllers don't though, so those aren't so bad. I love the ps4 controller, but battery life always puts it in dead last. Switch pro controller is my top pick.

I also have to say that I really really like the joycon grip. I thought I'd hate, but I like it a lot.

BashNasty

The pro is an amazing controller for sure.

Xbox Elite controller remains the best controller I've ever used, but the pro takes spot number 2.

One question though, I've heard people praising the HD rumble on the pro but I can't say I've really noticed it playing Zelda. Sure, the controller rumbles, but it doesn't feel any different than normal rumble. What am I missing?

The pro is an amazing controller for sure.

Xbox Elite controller remains the best controller I've ever used, but the pro takes spot number 2.

One question though, I've heard people praising the HD rumble on the pro but I can't say I've really noticed it playing Zelda. Sure, the controller rumbles, but it doesn't feel any different than normal rumble. What am I missing?

Pretty sure the Pro doesnt have HD rumble and its actually shitty from what I've seen.

shandy706

XBO Elite lacks HD rumble... and yeah, it's that significant. Amazing tech.

X1 controller can simulate movement across the entire controller and in an even wider range.

It could probably recreate the joycons rumble and even go beyond it.

I remember demos with the X1 controller simulating rotors on a helicopter overhead and other stuff like brake slippage.

It's an excellent controller, one of the very best for sure. Been using it with both BotW and Metal Slug 3, it feels great with both 3D and 2D games. Some have complained about the Dpad not feeling responsive but it's been working great for me and it should be a great controller overall when VC launches.

Giever

Zelda doesn't utilize HD Rumble, probably to maintain parity with the Wii U version.

Pretty sure the Pro doesnt have HD rumble and its actually shitty from what I've seen.

The Pro Controller does have HD Rumble.

krumble

Love it, but Analog triggers with a GameCube click would make it perfection ...

And as others have pointed out the lack of headphone jack is an oversight

hatchx

Banned
I like it a lot. So happy to go back to asymmetrical sticks.

My only complaint is how close and similar the + and - buttons are to the Home and Capture button. With how often you need to press + or - in a game like Zelda, I've found myself accidentally hitting the Home button a lot.

I like it it as well, but not as much as the DS4. I am not a fan of the triggers. After browsing threads that said digital triggers are good, I tried it and I can confirm that it's bullshit. It's the most unsatisfying click ever. I also think the face buttons are too big. But the battery life is awesome and reminds me of the awesome life of the DS3.

I'll put the switch Pro controller right behind my xbone elite and ahead of the DS 4.

I'd put it a bit higher if it had analog triggers, but it's hard to match the feel of the elite. I like the heft to the switch pro controller.. and the battery life is amazing.

The Dude

I really think the xbox elite controller is more of a niche controller. Most aren't spending 100+ on a controller, I will eventually get one but I'm in no major rush... This was more meant for actual bundled controllers that we get from consoles. Just saying.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
It's up there with the Xbox controller for me, the Dualshock 4 is nice but the battery life kills it. The switch pro controller is great except the AB and XY buttons are reversed.
This is the new "the controls are shitty, I press down and it goes up". I feel old...

I now play all games on non inverted... The kids were right

I held a xbone controller for the first time a few weeks ago. I was so looking forward to it, from everything I heard. The rumble triggers are amazing. But, the controller was too light, it almost felt "cheap". I'm not saying it is cheap, just that the lightness of it threw me off.

PS4 has the best controller to me, the light bar never has bothered me, and in some cases it has created more immersion in games.

The Switch controller looks amazing, but only for the fact that it can be split in two parts. No dpad is huge for me. IM sure the HD rumble is amazing, but certain games need the dpad I feel. It's rather situational though.

So despite not having held a switch controller, I'd go :

Ps4, switch, then xbone

Ignore me, i can't read apparently

I held a xbone controller for the first time a few weeks ago. I was so looking forward to it, from everything I heard. The rumble triggers are amazing. But, the controller was too light, it almost felt "cheap". I'm not saying it is cheap, just that the lightness of it threw me off.

PS4 has the best controller to me, the light bar never has bothered me, and in some cases it has created more immersion in games.

The Switch controller looks amazing, but only for the fact that it can be split in two parts. No dpad is huge for me. IM sure the HD rumble is amazing, but certain games need the dpad I feel. It's rather situational though.

So despite not having held a switch controller, I'd go :

Ps4, switch, then xbone
The OP is referring to the Pro controller so...

Mechazawa

I'm pretty much at that point, yeah. The Xbox One controller has better ergonomics and the triggers feel incredible, but everything else on the Pro is better. World's smoooooothest sticks, better dpad, better buttons, better bumpers. Well okay the start buttons are kinda shitty, but that's whatevs.

Bizzquik

I, too, was pleasantly surprised by how well it feels to hold. A significant step up from the Wii U Pro Controller, in my opinion.

I think it may even be better than the Xbox One controller...but nothing tops the Xbox One Elite controller.

Zee-Row

Banned
I love everything about the Switch Pro controller except the ZL and ZR buttons. They should have been triggers like the PS4.

x3sphere

It's my favorite controller now. I never tried the Xbox One Elite. The thing I don't like about the regular Xbox One controller is the top shoulder buttons, they feel very stiff. Apparently it has been changed since though, haven't used the newer version of the controller.

Cday

Banned
People said the same thing about the Wii U one all the time. Nice controller that it is they were wrong then and this is likely wrong too.

I love everything about the Switch Pro controller except the ZL and ZR buttons. They should have been triggers like the PS4.

It still doesn't have actual triggers and people say it's the best? Looks like my suspicions are accurate.

Nesther

I'm hoping to try one someday. Not going in blind though, because I really didn't like the Wii U Pro controller that much. The triggers were offputting and it felt too light.
Always went with the Gamepad when playing Wii U, unless the battery was down. Which happened quite frequently, thinking back.
From the few hours I got with the Joy-Cons, I can easily imagine myself just sticking with those as I love using them in free form mode.

My favorite controller however is the DS4. Just love it: It's heavy enough, ergonomic, best triggers I've ever used. And I actually really like the light bar, it has helped me out numerous times in local multiplayer sessions where people didn't know who they were.
The battery is the obvious big issue here, but I have like 6 or 7 DS4's laying around so that has never really bothered me.

zashga

I've been liking it with Zelda. Hard to say if I like it better than the Wii U pro, but I definitely like it better than the DS4. I really dislike the DS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom