• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

Do we know if the Switch will have a web browser?

From an outside perspective it seems like they only started actually working on the Switch after it was officially announced since nothing is feature-complete yet.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This stuff gets even weirder if Nintendo doesn't have video apps up when things like their animated Mario, Zelda or whatever movie/series come out through their licensing pushes. The Nintendo Anime Channel may not even return! Watch Pokémon on your phone.

As someone who recently dropped hulu and netflix for directtv now: who cares

I don't find value in those streaming sites anymore. Once you've seen what they've got, they're worthless.

besides, the Switch will get it eventually. this is a non-issue.

Since you beat the end boss of Netflix and they won't be releasing any further DLC, the eternal game of NeoGAF classic GAHIGGIDY will continue as always.
fg73PiP.gif

please tell me you are the new Gahiggidy/Drinky Crow

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Since the Wii-U is my primary Netflix box, I'm going to be pretty disappointed if the Switch doesn't support Netflix, Hulu, and other video apps sooner rather than later.

Of course, it they'd just add an HTML 4 browser, we could use those services without a separate app.

Seik

Banned
Netflix is a niche feature. What in the world...

Fuck no.

I discovered Netflix two months ago and holy shit was I missing out. Already watched all the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons from the 90's, there's like infinite stuff in there.

Switch will need it, actually I'm surprised it doesn't, didn't even the Wii U had it at launch?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know if the Switch will have a web browser?

From an outside perspective it seems like they only started actually working on the Switch after it was officially announced since nothing is feature-complete yet.

The Switch does not currently have a web browser.

LordKasual

Banned
Yea, but it's just weird that they use youtube for their presentation's,directs and also talked about sharing screenshots and video?

You would think they would see the benefit. But Nintendo going to Nintendo i guess.

For a company that banks so hard on the nostalgia and unwavering loyalty of its fans...Nintendo seems to do everything in its power to be as unwelcoming as possible to its deeper fanbase.

Its crappy YT policies, shutting down of popular fangames...it's stupid as hell. I probably hate SEGA more than any company on earth, but even they were smart enough to embrace their fanbase. Now we have Sonic fangamers making actual games for them. (Sonic Mania)

Meanwhile, Nintendo just waits for someone to get knee deep in a fan project, then throw out a C&D the moment it looks like it's going to be good. It's so ugly.

Anyway, "being considered" is just proof that Nintendo doesn't get it. The wording should have been "It's on its way, just hold tight". What the hell do you have to consider? Ugh.

oti

Banned
Honestly this is the last straw for pulling the plug on my preorder. Does it affect me that much? No, but between this and the online and cell phone shit. The lack of miiverse or streetpass...

to me it just shows that outside of a handful of games and the hardware itself, Nintendo doesnt know what the hell they're doing.

Of course they're going to fix all the online shit that people hate eventually, of course they'll add video stuff later and of course they'll fix any sort of storage issues later.

But they didn't have the forethought to just get ubiquitous apps on their platform? What else is lacking that is completely obvious and how long do we have to wait for the fixes?

I got burned by the wii u and nintendo moving at a glacial pace, I was willing to be forgiving for the Switch, especially since I thought nintendo would be more unified as a company with the hybrid concept incorporating all of the elements of Nintendo's publishing efforts... but they aren't even doing that. They're still pushing the 3ds hard and the resources that could go to fine tuning the switch and bringing the portable games that a portable home console deserves and would help fill the early gaps that have plagued them for over a decade.... Again. it's a lack of forethought. Or a lack of commitment. It's lacking for sure.

Don't buy anything based on "forgiveness". Ever.

So you don't care about feature A but because feature A isn't there you won't buy the product? What?

If releasing a remake of an ancient game with the only purpose of using an ancient engine one last time is your definition of "pushing the 3DS hard", you are really pushing it.

Making more money off the huge 3DS installed base can only be a good thing for the future of Switch. I mean, how do you feel about the mobile games if the 3DS bugs you that much?

Look, if Switch causes such headaches for you, just don't get it at launch. Waiting is always the smarter option. Prices can only go down, the amount of video games and features can only grow in size. If you don't want it NOW, getting it NOW is the worst thing you could do.

Wasn't the Wii U in a similar situation at launch? I agree most people have other options for streaming, but having video apps should be standard in 2017.

Pokemaniac

As long as Nintendo doesn't actively block the development and distribution of streaming video apps for the Switch, then everything will be fine.

OmahaG8

I mean, yeah, for adults it's a non issue. But plenty of my friends' kids aren't exactly swimming in electronics.

If they were lucky enough to receive one, it would floor them to have Netflix for their bedroom or on the go.

I think he was trying to point out that your logic doesn't play.

Correct. I own things that frequently have overlapping features. It's insanely common for convenience.

Honestly, other than obvious things like "One thousand US dollars!" or something, could you intentionally have a worse launch? Zelda is gonna put this thing on its back, and I'm not sure if it's strong enough.

Not good. Not bad either but not good.

Ultimately, it will be fine, but it will appear as a weak link out of the gate.

Product launches are rough business. Damned if you do or don't. I'm guessing they want it to push software before immediately being relegated to an identify as a media device.

Actually, this is a good thing because it's ok to offer less features with a higher price than your competitors when nintendo does it

You've seen the light.

Hopefully the people who get the console enjoy it. From here, it doesn't look ready for showtime, as badass as Zelda and Mario look.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I actually think of this, along with the browser unavailability, as advantages— It compels everyone to focus on playing games. I get too distracted on my phone, where funny enough I have fast growing backlog.

Seems like they are rushing the switch out the door. We all need to come to grips with there being no folders right now. Looking at a year before even Netflix.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Or people just want Netflix.

I mean maybe some people would like jumping from a Switch game to netflix on one single device.
Get out of here with this logic. It's not wanted.

But a perfect example. Today kids were playing some games on XBO S and wanted to watch Vudu or Amazon Prime Video. Instead of sitting everyone down in front of the PC, or turning on my blue ray player.... They just stopped playing on the XBO S and launched Prime. No need to switch devices.

So yea....get out of here with this logic.

The Internet is a niche feature.

Yeah, imma meme this post. I'm sure Nintendo will give me plenty of opportunities.

If you had asked me this morning if using a web browser or Netflix on the WiiU or 3ds was a common thing, id have 100% said no. I had no idea people actually used them (with their bad performance / screen) for that sort of thing. Based on this thread though, plenty of people do. I can accept that (if it does surprise me).

Id like to believe Nintendo has stat tracking in the WiiU / 3DS that tells them how often such things are opened / how long they are opened. But I highly doubt they built that into those systems.

I actually think of this, along with the browser unavailability, as advantages— It compels everyone to focus on playing games. I get too distracted on my phone, where funny enough I have fast growing backlog.

What is it with this thread that makes people think just because they are in a position were this is not necessesary (now even an advantage) it somehow applies to other people.

If you had asked me this morning if using a web browser or Netflix on the WiiU or 3ds was a common thing, id have 100% said no. I had no idea people actually used them (with their bad performance / screen) for that sort of thing. Based on this thread though, plenty of people do. I can accept that (if it does surprise me).

Id like to believe Nintendo has stat tracking in the WiiU / 3DS that tells them how often such things are opened / how long they are opened. But I highly doubt they built that into those systems.
Nintendo should not be using the Wii-U as its standard for user behavior unless they only want to capture that same audience.

jdmonmou

They probably wouldn't get much meaningful data since most people that own them haven't turned them on in months.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Nintendo: Our Japan President is out of touch, the President of NOA is a bullshit artist, and they don't talk to each other, oh and our most iconic game designer is getting old and kooky and his batting average is way down.

They need to let the young guys run this company. Seems like all the good decisions for the Switch came from them.

It doesn't matter that the PS4 is more powerful than the Switch. It DOES matter that the PS4 respected developers and consumers.

C'mon Nintendo! We want to love you. Let us love you.

I mean, it's a non issue for people who own other consoles, tablets, a laptop, smart TVs, android TV boxes, mobile phones, an Xone or a PS4.

Travesty for those who don't.

spelen

Switch not launching with Netflix: What do I need another device for Netflix? This is a non-issue!

If Switch had launched with Netflix: Oh cool I used my 3DS and Wii U for netflix all the time good to see I can replace them!

This is, potentially, a perception issue. Of course people have a hundred devices to watch Netflix on, but those kinds of things add value to a consumer's perception. Switch being so bare bones in so many ways at launch leads to the perception that it's going to be lacking in content, both media and gaming.

add to the fact that Nintendo is marketing the switch as a home console FIRST it actually would make sense that it has Netflix imo

How many missing features or questionable decisions that are then labeled "non-issues" does it take until people that aren't die-hard fans or enthusiasts can't be bothered to even pick this thing up when it actually hits stores.

Because as far as I see it, that's pretty much how the Switch is gaining most of its favor. Not because of the amount of (potentially) good things it has, but because of the amount of (potentially) bad things it has that are being downplayed. We got this wrong too but you'll stop caring soon.

$300 launch price, no pack-in game. Ok, we're over it.
Paid online service. Ok, we're over it.
No web browser at launch. Over it...
Most accessories are over $50. Ok...
Online features will be done through a smartphone app. Over...
Launch lineup are mostly ports of old games. M'hmm...
Online service allows you to play only one NES or SNES game for one month. Gotcha...

No video apps at launch? Or a confirmation of them being released later, just "under consideration"? That too will be a "non-issue" and people will get over it. They'll get sick of being disappointed and just stop caring (some for the time being, some indefinitely).

To the point that the Switch will be supported as it currently exists, because --save for a few things-- there won't be anything else substantial to support anyway.

Yeah, I was nervous when we didn't see anything about the UI during presentation. But this all but confirms a boneheaded move by Nintendo to not make this thing a functional tablet. Was it really too much to ask for this thing to Video apps, e-reader, Net browser, etc out of the box?

HardRojo

Hey Nintendo, if you want to have a bigger "share" at the living room, you need to be able to do this other stuff the other consoles do and offer more options. If the Switch was capable of playing Netflix, YouTube and Twitch I'm sure people would be more than willing to stick to the platform for using said apps in the living room. It surprises me everytime I check my friends list and I see at least 3 or 4 people watching those apps on their consoles.

I mean, it's a non issue for people who own other consoles, tablets, a laptop, smart TVs, android TV boxes, mobile phones, an Xone or a PS4.

Travesty for those who don't.
Who is this thing for, then? The average consumer expects and uses all of these missing features. You know, people who bought those things you listed.

This device seems to be targeted to people who want to play Nintendo games and do absolutely nothing else. That's a damn small market.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hey Nintendo, if you want to have a bigger "share" at the living room, you need to be able to do this other stuff the other consoles do and offer more options. If the Switch was capable of playing Netflix, YouTube and Twitch I'm sure people would be more than willing to stick to the platform for using said apps in the living room. It surprises me everytime I check my friends list and I see at least 3 or 4 people watching those apps on their consoles.

Same here and I know they said the same about me.

Seloth

Banned
You jest but this is literally what has been argued this last couple days.

That's the funny thing, people arguing with each other over their own preferences. What a waste of time.

You either don't mind or you do, no amount of arguing over these Switch topics is going to change anyone's mind.

Top Bottom