• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway sold 14k and it's made me depressed. See why it killed my cynicism inside.

Matt99J

Banned
14k? Jesus, this just upsets me. Tearaway is one of my favourite games... Ever. It's sad to see it sell so apocalyptically awfully. The last game I saw that sold that little was Tony Hawk Shred and, y'know, that game actually deserved it.

The Lamp

Like Super Mario 3D World, it's trapped on a failed platform. It's a pity.

I love Media Molecule. Truly. I am forever upset that I can't afford a Vita right now to play this gem. It truly is depressing but it doesn't surprise me. I can't wait to try it out someday :(

danthefan

US only, retail only, still absolutely dreadful. (Source is creamsugar, before you ask)

I wasn't going to ask, the TC has made such a detailed post that I seriously didn't think he'd blow his credibility by making up sales numbers.

That makes me sad though. I really hope a lot of people bought it digitally.

I wish NPD would simply stop reporting software sales entirely. It paints terribly false pictures of the state of a games' sales. Especially in a case like this, where a very respectable percentage of sales are going to come from digital.

Amir0x

Banned
Vita got this game as a hostage.

Which is true, although it's simultaneously true that this game was tailor made for the Vita and its functionality. It would be a markedly different game elsewhere.

Which I'd still take. I'm convinced Media Molecule would be able to make a magical Tearaway 2 on PS4 or whatever, if we all were able to get that by some miracle. But it'd definitely be a fundamentally different experience.

Do people with Vita's actually buy games at retail?

I haven't bought a single retail game on it since I got one and I am normally pretty anti download.

That copy of LBP has been in it for around a year now

$90 for a 32GB memory card.

No. Never.

Vita needs like 10-15 first party games of this quality for me to be convinced to take the plunge. Proselytize all you want, I'd rather save that money on getting a PS4.

I don't know any plattform in the history of plattforms that had more than 5 games of Tearaways quality.

Uhyve

Urgh, only 15k, I don't want to believe it. Does that include digital sales? Because at least in the UK, it's cheaper on the PSN than at GAME.

Played the demo and found it charming as hell. I've seen it going for $20 in some places but I'd rather have it digital since that's how I have all my vita games. I'll wait until it eventually hits that sweet spot for me and hopefully it does so soon.

Amir0x

Banned
Do people with Vita's actually guy carts?

I haven't bought a single retail game on it since I got one.

I purchased it digitally, but if retail is 14k, what is digital? 20k? Is that optimistic?

In any scenario the sales would only be defined as 'atrocious'... :(

Nikodemos

Well, US Vita retail is pretty bad, compared to digital... I mean, there's 300+ thousand 16/32 GB memcards out in the wild in the US alone...

clutchingatstraws

koutoru

Don't forget to add digital sales, which usually account for about a third of total sales these days.

But in this case, that's not saying much.

rav

I bought this digitally (US).
After physical PSP games not having a way to move forward, I decided not to purchase any more physical games for Sony portables. (Quite possibly only going to buy retail for PS3. PS4 is all digital so far too.)

I hope Sony releases digital numbers, because 14k is sad. I just got my Vita, and this is my first purchase of a Vita title. I have purchased other PS1 games to play on my Vita and have PS+ games to play through too.

Keep in mind 14k US retail only. 60% of Vita sales are digital. Also Vita is doing the worst in NA, it's merely doing kinda bad in EU and it's actually doing ok in JP.

It's probably over 100k WW which is still not good but I doubt anybody at Sony are committing sudoku over this. The Vita is reportedly profitable, after all. At least it's not a money loser like the Wii U.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I haven't bought a single retail game on it since I got one and I am normally pretty anti download.

I still do. You can't resell or trade digital games but yeah for handhelds digital is obviously way more convenient.

Buying physical Vita games is so depressing. It's just a blank case with the really small cart in it. 99% of them have nothing inside, not even ads or health warning inserts.

Griss

I only bought my Vita because I had a year of PS+ saved up. Now I have another year of PS+, and I can honestly say that I will never buy a Vita game for money, either new or second hand.

Amir0x, I love you.

Everyone that loves pure fun and escape needs this in their lives. I'd say it's trapped on the VITA, the only place it can ever really be played correctly, but the truth is that people who cannot get ahold of a VITA are the ones trapped. This game justifies the platform completely.

ascii42

Which is true, although it's simultaneously true that this game was tailor made for the Vita and its functionality. It would be a markedly different game elsewhere.

Which I'd still take. I'm convinced Media Molecule would be able to make a magical Tearaway 2 on PS4 or whatever, if we all were able to get that by some miracle. But it'd definitely be a fundamentally different experience.

Yeah, I imagine they could do it. They'd just have to approach it from a different angle. Tearaway imagines you as peering into this world that you hold in your hands. They'd have to come up with something different for something you are looking at on a television and interacting with through a controller/PS4 camera.

Sigh...this game is amazing. It (and the Vita) truly deserve better sales.

Will finish this weekend in solidarity, and to honor a fallen hero of gaming.

See you never, Tearaway 2.

Elvick

Banned
I wish NPD would simply stop reporting software sales entirely. It paints terribly false pictures of the state of a games' sales. Especially in a case like this, where a very respectable percentage of sales are going to come from digital.
Plus, we don't know the budget for a lot of games. So don't know how much is necessary for a company to deem it "successful" and we don't know if a company has reasonable expectations about a release either. And we don't know if they'll value the critical reception over commercial performance.

And all that.

So much more to a game's success than just sales.

Sucks that SCEA didn't bother to advertise at all for Tearaway, but they've given up on Vita. The lack of even a bundle is simply absurd.

Kard8p3

All mine were bought at retail except Strangers Wrath HD for obvious reasons. I just love watching my collection grow on my shelf.

All my vita purchases, including soon to be Tearaway, will all be digital this generation. Can't wait to play it at some point.

ohlawd

aww shit Canada doesn't get the game for $20.

didn't really like the demo but the OT and the Vita megathread told me it opens up and 20 bucks sounds perfect. I can eat the loss if I end up not liking the game anyway.

satori

Wow amazing post bro. I enjoy this gem so god damn much. This is what I mean about wanting devs to take a chance and create a master piece like this. Iccan't stand it when my friends say shit like O I won't play it unless it's an AAA title etc.

Missing out on great games such as journey or tearaway. It is a damn shame. Yes sports and fps are fun. But come on games like tearaway is more than just a game for me. It's an experience. Screw shit like VC for nba2k14, or generic shooters. We need more games like tearaway to be made.

Such is why I am such a huge supporter for indie devs.

I want to play it, man. This and Freedom Wars. But I'm not getting a Vita, not with the barren lineup and poor support everyone is showing towards it. I'd prefer to put that money towards a PS4, really.

OT though, here in my Mexico I never saw any marketing for it. In fact, it's been a long time since I last saw a Vita ad here...

ascii42

For retail games, my ratio of physical to download is 17:2. Between download only games, PS+ games, PSP games, and PSone games, I just don't have space. Plus I like having a physical collection anyway.

Who the fuck buys Vita titles at retail? you might as well rely on NPD to give you iOS sales numbers, for all the good it will do.

I'm sure tearaway will do fine, relative to it's platform and budget.

That being said, I own a vita and will not be buying this just to spite amirox

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pin the blame right at the feet of Sony for this game's performance. Poor scheduling. Poor marketing. Poor messaging. Tearaway's performance mimics the Vita's in a way. Sony shit the bed with both. Tragic.

Vandole

Not to be a troll, but does anyone think part of its low sales are partially due to the "I'll wait for it to be a PS + freebie?" mindframe? When it was announced the game had a pretty short completion time I saw a lot of people say something to that extent or at least wait on a price drop.

Tohsaka

I buy everything retail, if possible. I even imported a Japanese copy of Dokuro because it was completely in English. If there's a retail version, I'll buy it over digital every time.

Salex_

Plus, we don't know the budget for a lot of games. So don't know how much is necessary for a company to deem it "successful" and we don't know if a company has reasonable expectations about a release either. And we don't know if they'll value the critical reception over commercial performance.

And all that.

So much more to a game's success than just sales.

Sucks that SCEA didn't bother to advertise at all for Tearaway, but they've given up on Vita. The lack of even a bundle is simply absurd.

I heard only 8 people made this game. So I imagine they don't really have to sell that many to be successful.

Top Bottom