• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway sold 14k and it's made me depressed. See why it killed my cynicism inside.

ButchCat

...and this is why friends Sony will do the impossible to produce a PS4 edition. Why would anyone think this wasn't sent to doom. I would buy this for a full retail price but I wouldn't buy a Vita for this.

I buy everything retail, if possible. I even imported a Japanese copy of Dokuro because it was completely in English. If there's a retail version, I'll buy it over digital every time.

On a PS4 I'm the opposite. But memory is expensive on a Vita. Ain't nobody got space for that.

While I didn't find the game as great some people, it was a very fun, very unique game. It was hard not to smile while playing it. Most certainly deserved better sales numbers. It was released at a pretty terrible time, but Vita owners are pretty passionate about the platform and tend to buy lots of games. So here is hoping it sold well digitally and has some long legs. Maybe it will have good 2nd and 3rd month sales when people have a chance to refill their wallets after a brutal November.

How many people did it take to develop the game? Hopefully it ends up still be financially a net positive. Really good game, and I would like to see this imaginative approach pop up on the PS4. Much better game than LBP.

The Lamp

Who the fuck buys Vita titles at retail? you might as well rely on NPD to give you iOS sales numbers, for all the good it will do.

I'm sure tearaway will do fine, relative to it's platform and budget.

That being said, I own a vita and will not be buying this just to spite amirox

Why would I buy digitally with those insane memory card prices?

Amir0x's cleansing to superior game design is refreshing. Games can be fun by just being enjoyed for the experience, flaws and all.
one step closer to getting Amir0x to realize Heavy Rain is a good game

Amir0x

Banned
That being said, I own a vita and will not be buying this just to spite amirox

Do you think it spites me? It does not. Instead, it makes you look like a child and you hurt only yourself. I have no investment in the sales - I do not own Sony stock and do not know anybody at Media Molecule - only enough care about my fellow gamers to try to convince them to experience it.

I find it amusing that you thought this was something worth posting though.

I plan to get it when I buy a Vita, but I'm hesitant to buy it now because it might be a PS+ deal by the time I have Vita.

Such is the flaw with PS+, and Sony dropping prices so quick. I just got Ni No Kuni for $10 and it hasn't even been out a year.

So true. With so many people waiting for AA games on PS+ it feels like those games are devalued. I bought puppeteer, but only when it was $15 at BBuy.....less that 45 days after release!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Whoever was involved in putting its release date a week after the PS4, day and date with the xbox one, all of its titles, AND mario 3d world + zelda is probably not very smart.

Amir0x

Banned
does the 14k include psstore sales as well? Cause i think majority of vita users would download their games.

As mentioned, even with digital sales, considering how poor retail was, even if you doubled the sales with digital, the number would be pretty miserable :(

Frillen

Keep in mind 14k US retail only. 60% of Vita sales are digital. Also Vita is doing the worst in NA, it's merely doing kinda bad in EU and it's actually doing ok in JP.

It's probably over 100k WW which is still not good but I doubt anybody at Sony are committing sudoku over this. The Vita is reportedly profitable, after all. At least it's not a money loser like the Wii U.

Pulling numbers out for your ass. The game sold less than 3800 first week in Japan, and charted like #38 in the UK chart. I find it very hard to believe it's over 100k.

Gamerloid

Do you think it spites me? It does not. Instead, it makes you look like a child and you hurt only yourself. I have no investment in the sales - I do not own Sony stock and do not know anybody at Media Molecule - only enough care about my fellow gamers to try to convince them to experience it.

I find it amusing that you thought this was something worth posting though.

To be fair, your title says you're depressed about this. You seem emotionally invested in this game.

Wasn't it just a joke anyway?

ohlawd

Not to be a troll, but does anyone think part of its low sales are partially due to the "I'll wait for it to be a PS + freebie?" mindframe? When it was announced the game had a pretty short completion time I saw a lot of people say something to that extent or at least wait on a price drop.

It would be fucking great if Tearaway showed up free on PS+ soon but I'm looking at LBP Vita and that hasn't made it.

Moobabe

Wasn't it made with a small team and a low budget?

Sure, the sales are poor - but I wonder what the target was to make a profit.

Amir0x

Banned
To be fair, your title says you're depressed about this. You seem emotionally invested in this game.

It's not real depression, just a joke. It's simply me feeling a game deserves better, and because I actually love games, I want to share why with others. The topic title is just emphasizing how bad the sales were for the game, as if it would reel me into depression :p

UberTag

The gaming industry of 2013 in a nutshell:

Tearaway - 14,000
Super Mario 3D World - 215,000 (digital & physical combined)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (shoot guys with swearing pre-teens and they die and then you die and then they die some more and it's the same game you've played 4-5 times before with recycled cutscenes and now dogs in 720p) - 6.5 million

Mii

Banned
$90 for a 32GB memory card.

No. Never.

Vita needs like 10-15 first party games of this quality for me to be convinced to take the plunge. Proselytize all you want, I'd rather save that money on getting a PS4.

I had a similar mindset. Then I was fortunate enough to have a trip to Japan lined up when the 64GB card came out. At $90 for as much space as I'll ever need on a Vita, I felt it was worth it.

The Vita is now one of the best portable experiences I've ever had. Granted, I never had a PSP so a lot of my time is catching up on PSP games and reliving PS1 experiences. But then a superb indie goes up on PSN. And then an amazing experience like Tearaway comes along. Or a superb port like Persona 4 Golden is released.

I don't think there is a higher ratio of quality games to total number of games released for any other handheld in existence.

The best part is PS+ makes most of the best experiences free, too. It more than makes up for the cost of the memory cards. I also try games I typically wouldn't have purchased otherwise and find myself enjoying them far more than I expected. Anyone who plans on having a PS4 for a long time or already has a PS3 is doing themselves a disservice by not owning a Vita and PS+.

Oh and Tearaway is amazing. It proves Nintendo-like creativity can still be found in new IP.

aly

This makes me sad, because it seems like such a wonderful game. Alas, I don't have a Vita or any money :( .

Amir0x

Banned

Tearaway - 14,000
Call of Duty: Ghosts (shoot guys with swearing pre-teens and they die and then you die and then they die some more and it's the same game you've played 4-5 times before with recycled cutscenes and now dogs in 720p) - 6.5 million

Originally this topic was about both Super Mario 3D World and Tearaway, actually. I was going to make it a dual topic about how quality games not receiving their due, and let others share why they also think people should play both.

But I didn't have time to write up a Super Mario 3D World review yet

Keep in mind 14k US retail only. 60% of Vita sales are digital. Also Vita is doing the worst in NA, it's merely doing kinda bad in EU and it's actually doing ok in JP.

It's probably over 100k WW which is still not good but I doubt anybody at Sony are committing sudoku over this. The Vita is reportedly profitable, after all. At least it's not a money loser like the Wii U.

Considering it didn't even crack top 50 in this week's Media Create, of which 50th place is 4k..... don't expect much of a contribution of sales there.

Elvick

Banned
Do people with Vita's actually buy games at retail?

I haven't bought a single retail game on it since I got one and I am normally pretty anti download.

That copy of LBP has been in it for around a year now
I do...
9OYPIBt.jpg

4GB memory card for life*

I'll never understand why people have problems finding something to play. And I'll never understand the logic in someone whining about no games, then not buying them when they come out. Instead waiting for price drops and PS+. You clearly do not want more games if you do nothing to show that to companies... by actually buying the games when they release. You're doing it wrong.

or until Sony drop prices even more to be actually worth it.

Should I feel bad that I played it for 10 minutes and got bored?

I was excited at first because, you know, PS Vita is finally getting a game! Owned this thing for about a year, and haven't bought anything on it, so I got pretty excited when I heard about Tearaway.

Than I saw the gameplay and decided the game isn't worth the price tag, and the Vita is once again back to never being touched by me. :(

Isotope

I asked for this for Christmas, kinda feel bad I didn't just buy it. They did release it around the same time as Zelda and Mario after all.

Hell, it released on the day when a new Mario and Zelda game came out, not to mention the launch of the Xbox One.

It's a shame about the sales; really enjoyable game.

Tearaway - 14,000

It´s like looking into an abyss.

An abyss of things to come.

Toki767

Made me laugh so hard and shake my head at the same time.

I will be buying Tearaway on Sunday.

No. Never.

Vita needs like 10-15 first party games of this quality for me to be convinced to take the plunge. Proselytize all you want, I'd rather save that money on getting a PS4.

This memcard bullshit is the reason I don't even consider a Vita. The Vita seems like a scam to sell expensive memcards, and I refuse to take part of it.

Amir0x

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Not saying I won't check out Tearaway if I ever get a Vita, but Amirox's passionate opinions about games and gameplay would have more sway with me if he hadn't spent the last three years hating on Uncharted.

The mark of a critic you can like is not when you agree with him all the time on every game you love, but when you can respect them even when you disagree (not that I might meet the criteria for you, I don't really care either way honestly). That is in fact the criteria I use for all the GAFers I trust. They must disagree about a game I like, but they must have articulated why and how with a degree of intelligence and thought that allows me to respect their position.

If you feel I have not articulated at depth why Uncharted is problematic, then you either haven't been reading or you choose to ignore it because you like the game too much. Which is also your right.

I haven't gotten more than fifteen minutes into it, but it didn't really grab me enough to take my attention away from link between worlds. I plan to go back to it after lbw though, but at least in the little amount of time I played, it seemed really gimmicky. Mostly the poking my fingers through the bottom.

No. Never.

Paid $45 for mine, brand new (thank you Best Buy). And isn't retail price $80 now?

How many people did it take to develop the game? Hopefully it ends up still be financially a net positive. Really good game, and I would like to see this imaginative approach pop up on the PS4. Much better game than LBP.

Supposedly the team was only about 8-10 people, though the game was in development for more than a year.

Tiktaalik

How much of a true representation of the game is the demo? I know demos can be a really problematic way to judge a game, so I'm keeping my mind open.

I found the demo to be terribly boring, and it's relegated the game in my mind to a $20 bargain bin purchase. I hope I got the wrong impression?

Top Bottom