• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway sold 14k and it's made me depressed. See why it killed my cynicism inside.

ascii42

Well Tearaway was put on a fast track to bomb, sandwiched between every hyped up next-gen platform, on a dead system, with virtually no marketing of any kind. During the Holiday season when a billion well marketed titles are touching down.

Tearaway should have come out in the Summer, and it might have sold a little better. Still would have bombed (Vita), but a LITTLE better perhaps..

Its release date wouldn't have been bad if they included it as part of a holiday bundle.

Tiktaalik

Yeah, that's the very start of the game. The whole section before you get your jumping ability proper is the weakest part of the game, although I was still infected by the charm by that point with the drums.

After that, it just starts tossing ideas at you. The thing I realized is that it's not trying to compete with hardcore platformers, it's a completely different experience altogether. Its actual central mechanic is probably the in-game camera itself, and the jumping just allows it to combine it with compelling platforming segments. If you think of it as a light platforming game with heavy camera and creativity elements, it's what it is.

Comparing it to other hardcore platformers is going to do a disservice to the game, I feel. I spent easily double the time snapping photos than I did doing platforming.

One of the main issues about the demo giving me concern about the whole game was the degree of handholding. It was of course the beginning of the game, but even then felt overbearing.

LX_Theo

Banned
Isn't it a pretty low budget game from Media Molecule anyways? I remember reading about how the team making it in Media Molecule was just a small part of the overall team.

I'm definitely going to get it. I have a hard time believing the sales are that bad, mind you.

Ken

I did my part digitally day 1. Even missed that promotion that started up right after. :/

j0myvKHwPXUnI.jpg

pls buy sorcery saga too

One of my favorite games this year, I had a grin on my face through the entire game

It sucks when amazing games like Rayman Legends, Dragons Crown, SMB3D World, and this sells badly.

Pretty sad indeed.

If Super Mario 3D World can't even sell well, than the gaming industry is pretty much dying to me, to me personally.

Huh? Dragon's Crown sold really well

I'm part of the problem. Very interested in Tearaway but I simply don't see the point in buying Vita games at launch when they all inevitably bomb. If you waited just three weeks after release you could've had this game for half price. And if you're willing to wait a couple months more it'll probably be a freebie on PS+.

I don't feel too bad about "not supporting" the game at full price since it's not like any Vita game has franchise potential in the first place - the system is dead and nobody is going to waste resources on it. Sony most likely made the decision months ago to put this team on PS4 projects after the game was completed.

Just makes more sense to wait IMO. I'll probably pick it up during the $20 Gamestop sale in a few days.

If you always wait for a game to go to ps+ on the vita, sooner or later vita will just not get any games. While ps+ is great, you need to show support to the games you really care about if you want a sequel.

AniHawk

tearaway actually reminds me of rayman 2 in a lot of ways, without the levels being segmented, of course. there's a distinct action-adventure feel.

$90 for a 32GB memory card.

No. Never.

Vita needs like 10-15 first party games of this quality for me to be convinced to take the plunge. Proselytize all you want, I'd rather save that money on getting a PS4.

I never understand this attitude. "I'm not going to buy an expensive system, until I have the opportunity to spend $500 more on games for it." I buy my systems early, and I try to buy good games for them as they become available.

Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Lumines
Hotline Miami
Stranger's Wrath
Mutant Blobs Attack
Gravity Rush
Uncharted
Hot Shots Golf
Little Big Planet
Sound Shapes
WipEout
Spelunky
Guacamelee
Killzone Mercenary

I mean, I own a few good games, right? And those are just the ones that seem universally praised. And it's not like I've finished those games, either. The Vita could be my primary system and I still would have a backlog. Admittedly, I do tend to wait for sales, so I'll be getting Tearaway this weekend.

Steel

Banned
Tearaway: +1 sale.

I was actually planning on buying it eventually, but I cut a few things out of my budget seeing as I'm spending too much money on Christmas among other things already.

Damn shame about the sales on this game, though.

Amir0x

Banned
One of the main issues about the demo giving me concern about the whole game was the degree of handholding. It was of course the beginning of the game, but even then felt overbearing.

The game early on assumes you basically has never played a game before; it is a introduction to a complete newbie to the platforming genre and the camera elements. It fades into the background by gibbet hill, but never disappears entirely since there's always new elements being introduced and taught to the player. It's definitely less overbearing though.

I'll definitely give this a try in a few years. Just can't justify buying a Vita.
Shame the sales are so low, but this was put on probably the worst possible platform it could be on.

The mark of a critic you can like is not when you agree with him all the time on every game you love, but when you can respect them even when you disagree (not that I might meet the criteria for you, I don't really care either way honestly). That is in fact the criteria I use for all the GAFers I trust. They must disagree about a game I like, but they must have articulated why and how with a degree of intelligence and thought that allows me to respect their position.

If you feel I have not articulated at depth why Uncharted is problematic, then you either haven't been reading or you choose not to

Nah. I got mad respect for you as a poster on manny matters. But I've read enough of your shit on the topic of Uncharted over the years. There comes a point where someone can articulate their position at length, and you can still find their opinion so bafflingly different from your own that you just can't bridge that difference.

Example: You called Uncharted a "gameplay last" franchise probably less than an hour ago in the Naughty dog thread. Having played all the games multiple times and hours and hours of the insanely-fun multiplayer, those 100+ hours of personal experience contrasted with your opinion of Uncharted as a "gameplay last" franchise is simply too far afield from my own experience to be able to buy into your hype on any other game.

There are other examples too, but really, it's kinda useless to discuss them. It's not like you are going to change your tastes/experience with the game, nor am I.

It's not an attack on you...just calling it like it is. But if this topic encourages others to share their experiences with Tearaway--posters who have aesthetic and gameplay tastes more in line with my own--and those convince me, it's all good, right?

Somnid

Don't have a Vita but it looked interesting at least. Yes, gamers are assholes and put their money into the dumbest things but also Sony has made it seem pointless to buy Vita games since any decent one is added to PS Plus. I'd image the hardcore is smart enough to realize that.

AniHawk

I never understand this attitude. "I'm not going to buy an expensive system, until I have the opportunity to spend $500 more on games for it." I buy my systems early, and I try to buy good games for them as they become available.

Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Lumines
Hotline Miami
Stranger's Wrath
Mutant Blobs Attack
Gravity Rush
Uncharted
Hot Shots Golf
Little Big Planet
Sound Shapes
WipEout
Spelunky
Guacamelee
Killzone Mercenary

I mean, I own a few good games, right? And those are just the ones that seem universally praised. And it's not like I've finished those games, either. The Vita could be my primary system and I still would have a backlog. Admittedly, I do tend to wait for sales, so I'll be getting Tearaway this weekend.

the system comes with an 8gb memory card too. it can be annoying to delete and redownload things, but a 32gb card isn't necessary.

Elvick

Banned
I'm part of the problem. Very interested in Tearaway but I simply don't see the point in buying Vita games at launch when they all inevitably bomb. If you waited just three weeks after release you could've had this game for half price. And if you're willing to wait a couple months more it'll probably be a freebie on PS+.

I don't feel too bad about "not supporting" the game at full price since it's not like any Vita game has franchise potential in the first place - the system is dead and nobody is going to waste resources on it. Sony most likely made the decision months ago to put this team on PS4 projects after the game was completed.

Just makes more sense to wait IMO. I'll probably pick it up during the $20 Gamestop sale in a few days.
This legitimately angers me.

Mifune

Mehmber
Wow, what a post. I read the whole thing (minus spoilers) and it was beautiful.

I'm a big fan of this new, more open-minded, Amir0x. As for the game itself, I played it at IndieCade and fell in love. I'm broke as a joke right now but once I get back on my feet I'm buying a Vita and a copy of Tearaway.

Keep in mind 14k US retail only. 60% of Vita sales are digital. Also Vita is doing the worst in NA, it's merely doing kinda bad in EU and it's actually doing ok in JP.

It's probably over 100k WW which is still not good but I doubt anybody at Sony are committing sudoku over this. The Vita is reportedly profitable, after all. At least it's not a money loser like the Wii U.

100k worldwide.. thats funny.. :)

it has bombed in every single region. Doubt it has even hit 50k yet.

AniHawk

I'll definitely give this a try in a few years. Just can't justify buying a Vita.
Shame the sales are so low, but this was put on probably the worst possible platform it could be on.

it's kind of the 999 of the vita. right now it's the only platform it could be on (unfortunately with regards to sales). it's designed completely around the vita as a system, and uses gimmicks in creative ways to aid the platforming and unlock secrets within the level design.

i got a vita for this game only, but now that i have it i'll give psp games i never played a try (trails in the sky 1 and 2 are on the short list), and i also purchased ys. then there's dangan ronpa early next year.

Amir0x

Banned
Nah. I got mad respect for you as a poster on manny matters. But I've read enough of your shit on the topic of Uncharted over the years. There comes a point where someone can articulate their position at length, and you can still find their opinion so bafflingly different from your own that you just can't bridge that difference.

Example: You called Uncharted a "gameplay last" franchise probably less than an hour ago in the Naughty dog thread. Having played all the games multiple times and hours and hours of the insanely-fun multiplayer, those 100+ hours of personal experience contrasted with your opinion of Uncharted as a "gameplay last" franchise is simply too far afield from my own experience to be able to buy into your hype on any other game.

There are other examples too, but really, it's kinda useless to discuss them. It's not like you are going to change your tastes/experience with the game, nor am I.

It's not an attack on you...just calling it like it is. But if this topic encourages others to share their experiences with Tearaway--posters who have aesthetic and gameplay tastes more in line with my own--and those convince me, it's all good, right?

I explain my position in depth. That you are unable to reconcile them to your own would be the only logical conclusion, since you in fact do love the game. Uncharted clearly values presentation before its other elements, though. We've been over it before, and some of the things are basically built-in... how the platforming essentially plays itself and has no compelling level design element to it, how the shooting is often just tiresome combat arenas (this was really felt in UC3).

And, by the way, I thought Uncharted 2 was pretty decent. Only you are describing it as "hate." I simply won't buy in day one anymore, because I feel it is not changing in a way that convinces me. It's a beautiful game series presentation-wise, but it needs a lot of improvements to its gameplay to be something that satisfies me.

Did you think my many explanations of my problems with Uncharted were thoughtless? That I did not describe in painstaking detail the issues I had?

I do take a little issue with it because I feel it's a little silly to dismiss someone who bothers explaining why they feel the way they do simply because they come to a different conclusion than you. If I was trolling the game and could not explain why, I would understand.

It's no big deal as you say, but I do think your original comment had a heavy implication than I was just blindly hating Uncharted.

ohlawd

it's kind of the 999 of the vita. right now it's the only platform it could be on (unfortunately with regards to sales). it's designed completely around the vita as a system, and uses gimmicks in creative ways to aid the platforming and unlock secrets within the level design.

i got a vita for this game only, but now that i have it i'll give psp games i never played a try (trails in the sky 1 and 2 are on the short list), and i also purchased ys. then there's dangan ronpa early next year.
Isn't there an iOS port of 999 out with the shitty puzzles removed?

That's silly.

A port to the PS4 is the only way Sony will ever make any money on it, so of course it will get a digital port.

I don't think it's too dependent.

Do you know anything about the game? It requires both vita cameras, the back and front touchpad, the gyroscope, and the mic. How are you gonna port that?

rav

PS+ is training gamers to NOT buy games near launch. I don't think Sony thought it all the way through.

That's what people have said about steam sales too, but according to the sales charts, new high profile games still sell like hotcakes the first week.

But now that I have even more games to play, I'm somewhat hesitant about purchases I know I either don't have time for, or wont really enjoy.
Several games I've bought in recent past have been really hard for me to just jump in and enjoy. Tearaway was like the world around me melted away, and I was in bliss. (Still need to finish it.)

Great post OP! Completely agree.

I bought it at launch and it's probably the best game I've played all year.

Also, 14k retail - there are still 14 thousand people that buy physical copies of games for Vita?

I though everyone bought digitally on this system.

Alchemy

I bought it and I don't even have time to play it right now, I just want to support good games. I will get to it over holiday break. Its the same deal with Puppeteer, the good games just can't catch a break.

Steel

Banned
That's silly.

A port to the PS4 is the only way Sony will ever make any money on it, so of course it will get a digital port.

They're not porting puppateer, a game that would obviously sell better on a launch system and have the proper control scheme for it, to PS4. What makes you think they'll treat Tearaway any differently?

I agree that Tearaway is a charming puzzle adventure ( By no means is it a good platformer). My biggest problem with it is, that it lacks replayability once you finished it. But for the price it is a must-have vita title nonetheless.
Edith:

There is no rear touch on the PS4.

Elvick

Banned
That's silly.

The amount of work they'd have to do to rework the game, ie; remove tons of features and rework them in different and less creative ways, wouldn't be worth it.

And the game had a small team, and likely reasonable if not small budget. If Dragon's Crown was around a million in development... I can't imagine Tearaway was too much more, if it passed it at all.

The PS4 has all of those things.

No it does not.

Kouriozan

Vita and Wii U, together killing anything released on those.
I feel you, I loved W101 and it also bombed, this and Tearaway deserved more.

Krilekk

Banned
Teraway and the Puppeteer are probably two of the most charming but underrated games this year :(

A metacritic rating of 87 and 80 is not underrated. They just fail to attract the masses. They are the arthouse equivalent of gaming. The only problem is they are built with a AAA budget.

Derrick01

Banned
You've convinced me it's worth a rental or a PS+ download if I never bother to activate my gamefly account again. I can't say I have any interest in the game but when people talk about a new type of game enough, meaning something I don't already know what it is and how it plays, it gets me curious enough to try it.

btkadams

it really is one of those rare games that just blows you away. it's so unique. media molecule is the real deal and i can't wait to see what they make next.

Top Bottom