• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Opening cinematic for the Arcade version

Manbig

I've heavily analyzed every (home release) Tekken intro and come to this list:

1: Tekken 4 (game sucks, but holy shit did this intro take 'seriousness' to an epic level
2: Tekken Tag (best music, best direction)
3: Tekken 3 (purely bad ass)
4: Tekken 5 (good jpop and perfectly timed visual interacting with the music)
5: Tekken 2 (relaxing but thrilling)
6: Tekken 1 (trash)
7: Tekken 6 (game is the king of all fighting games, but the intro was gutter trash)

On planet Yoshi maybe.

IvorB

1: Tekken 4 (game sucks, but holy shit did this intro take 'seriousness' to an epic level
4: Tekken 5 (good jpop and perfectly timed visual interacting with the music)
7: Tekken 6 (game is the king of all fighting games, but the intro was gutter trash)

Tekken 4 was great for Heihachi in that pimp jacket and the first time hearing them speak I think. The Mishima stuff was great but the new character clips were pretty poor. Christie wafting through her Rio apartment is lame.

Tag did have amazing music.

Personally I would go:
1: Tekken 3
2: Tekken 2
The top two are just so tight; there's not a wasted frame in there.
3: Tekken 4
4. Tekken Tag
5. Tekken 5 (starts off so well but the music in the second half is a total passion killer: "I'm here noooow. I'm doing the best I can" Oh god.

raven777

4: Tekken 5 (good pop and perfectly timed visual interacting with the music)

I actually kinda agree with this list. At least for the top 2.

Biker19

Banned
Heihachi. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Really? The same man who threw his own son off of a cliff when he was 5 years old (& making him very warped as a result), then threw him into a volcano at the end of Tekken 2, tried killing his own grandson at the end of Tekken 3, & has his own father imprisoned underneath a compound, while also letting him starve to death?

You have to be kidding me. If you ask me, Heihachi is the evilest of the bunch.

Ugh, I'm honestly fed up of the Kazuya/Heihachi feud. They should hold hands as father and son and jump in the volcano together, and never be seen or heard from again.

Although that outfit with the tiger in the back is ALWAYS boss.

There was once upon a time when I looked forward to Tekken intros for state of the art CGI stuff. I guess that time is gone, although I still love me some Tekken.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I must say, this whole "End of the Mishima saga" business almost has me more excited for Tekken 8 at this point. I've never really cared about the Mishima business, and Tekken 7 is probably going to end up dropping a good few of my favorite characters. If they can wrap all that up here and then really shake things up for the next "saga" or whatever they're doing, then by all means they should.

Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy Tekken 7 for what it is...

rakhir

Man, i wish Bamco would release Tekken on PCs :( I still remember when my friends gathered around tekken 5 on ps2, that game was fantastic.

T7 runs on Unreal, it surely isn't hard to make a port, right?

Rymuth

Really? The same man who threw his own son off of a cliff when he was 5 years old (& making him very warped as a result), then threw him into a volcano at the end of Tekken 2, tried killing his own grandson at the end of Tekken 3, & has his own father imprisoned underneath a compound, while also letting him starve to death?

You have to be kidding me. If you ask me, Heihachi is the evilest of the bunch.
At the end of the day, Heihachi is the human kind of evil. He wants to rule us, not to destroy us which is what Kazuya (aka Satan incarnate) wishes for.

Let's look at the evidence

- When Heihachi was in charge of the Zaibatsu during the T2-T3 interim, he ended world wars and stopped world hunger. Granted, it was to build a reputation but like Elsa from AHS: Freakshow, some good came out of it.

- When Jin and Kazuya were in charge of the Zaibatsu, they started wars (For Jin, it was to summon Azazel, for Kazuya it was for lulz)

- All instances of Heihachi throwing people off cliffs/volcanoes/outer space were done with people who were in possession of the Devil Gene. Need I remind you these people's powers have been CANONICALLY stated to be evil?

- Heihachi has shown the capacity to love. Kazumi says Heihachi still loves her and he apparently has fondness for Kuma 1 and 2. Kazuya hasn't loved anyone in his life.

- Heihachi rescues Kazuya from Devil's beam in his Tekken 2 ending, Kazuya responds by using him as a human shield

- Heihachi is often seen in comedic endings, no such treatment is given to Kazuya

- Heihachi is a hero unit who joins the good guys in both crossover games (Namco x Capcom and Project X Zone), conversely Kazuya is always with the villains.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So Kazuya is a much weaker fighter than Heihachi in canon?

Cutscenes/cinematics tend to favor Heihachi in their 1v1s.

Its always been Kazuya > Heihachi >>Jin >Devil >>>>>>> Devil Jin

Basically, Kazuya is weaker than both Heihachi and Jin in base form, until he turns devil, than he can beat Heichachi and Jin. Jin can beat both of them at the same time if Kazuya is in base form, in Jin's base form. But if he turns Devil, they are pretty much insignificant

Manbig

Basically, Kazuya is weaker than both Heihachi and Jin in base form, until he turns devil, than he can beat Heichachi and Jin. Jin can beat both of them at the same time if Kazuya is in base form, in Jin's base form. But if he turns Devil, they are pretty much insignificant

Based on what you said below, those signs are all pointing the wrong way.

Biker19

Banned
At the end of the day, Heihachi is the human kind of evil. He wants to rule us, not to destroy us which is what Kazuya (aka Satan incarnate) wishes for.

The purpose was for Kazuya to extract revenge on his father for what he had done to him as a child.

- When Jin and Kazuya were in charge of the Zaibatsu, they started wars (For Jin, it was to summon Azazel, for Kazuya it was for lulz)

Except that Jin had a reason to, to be rid of Azazel. Kazuya? It was more of the Devil's doing, & not Kazuya himself because Devil had fully corrupted Kazuya's mind & soul after Tekken 1. That was one of the reasons why Jun entered the tournament, to save him from Devil.

- All instances of Heihachi throwing people off cliffs/volcanoes/outer space were done with people who were in possession of the Devil Gene. Need I remind you these people's powers have been CANONICALLY stated to be evil?

But Heihachi was the one who started all of this in the first place. Kazuya was near death after he managed to climb up the cliff, & he wanted revenge on his father for it. That's how Devil came to be, & Kazuya survived because of him.

- Heihachi has shown the capacity to love. Kazumi says Heihachi still loves her and he apparently has fondness for Kuma 1 and 2. Kazuya hasn't loved anyone in his life.

Wrong. Kazuya loved his grandfather back when he was a child. Plus he was very kind & loving before Heihachi had thrown him off of a cliff, all because Heihachi thought that Kazuya was weak because of the good feelings & the kindness that he had, & wanted him to be strong & tough just like Heihachi. But Heihachi? He despised Kazuya because his wife died after giving birth to him, & blames Kazuya for it.

- Heihachi rescues Kazuya from Devil's beam in his Tekken 2 ending, Kazuya responds by using him as a human shield

Non-canonical ending.

- Heihachi is a hero unit who joins the good guys in both crossover games (Namco x Capcom and Project X Zone), conversely Kazuya is always with the villains.

If anything, they should've been switched, IMO.

Rymuth

Except that Jin had a reason to, to be rid of Azazel. Kazuya? It was more of the Devil's work,
Ah yes, the classic 'The Devil made me do it'. I can just picture Kazuya's trial post Tekken 7 where he uses that line of defense.

Wrong. Kazuya loved his grandfather back when he was a child.

Whom he promptly stabs in the throat not five seconds after re-uniting with him.

Non-canonical ending.
Still shows how Harada and co. think of their character's mindset when they get inside his head.

If anything, they should've been switched, IMO.
Your opinion is noted. Reality disagrees, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, I'm putting an end to this line of discussion so as to not derail this thread too much.
I just like to add that Heihachi has been my main since I've unlocked him in Tekken 1 on the PSX. I feel very protective of the character >:)

I'm sure I'm going to cry like a baby when they kill him off

Man this always trips me out lol

Kazuya < Heihachi << Jin < Devil <<<<<<< Devil Jin?

You were totally saying Kazuya was better than all of them with D. Jin being the weakest, then I read your statement below.

Biker19

Banned
Ah yes, the classic 'The Devil made me do it'. I can just picture Kazuya's trial post Tekken 7 where uses that line of defense.

Read Kazuya's backstory, the whole thing (as well as Devil Kazuya). Why do you think Jun entered the tournament back in Tekken 2? To free Kazuya from Devil. Do you really think that Kazuya would have the power to defeat Heihachi at the end of Tekken 1 or have the power to start a huge war all on his own without Devil's influence? No.

Whom he promptly stabs in the throat not five seconds after re-uniting with him.

It's non-canonical, but look at the ending carefully. Jinpachi was near death, & Kazuya tried to wake him. Then, his eye turned red, meaning, the devil gene took over Kazuya, & stabbed Jinpachi because of it.

I just like to add that Heihachi has been my main since I've unlocked him in Tekken 1 on the PSX. I feel very protective of the character >:)

We all have our favorites, but you try to make it seem like Heihachi hasn't done anything wrong.

We all have our favorites, but you try to make it seem like Heihachi hasn't done anything wrong.

Heihachis parenting reads like a Jeremy Kyle episode tag line:
1) I threw my son into a volcano and now he's come back for revenge
2) I frequently abuse my son to the point we ruined the resting place of our grandfather
3) I never told my family about our Swedish son.
4) I once strapped my grandson, son and granddad to a rocket and sent them them into outer space.

Kind of a prick.

Have special ghost AI's be in the game called BigBuffetBoy85 and AngryNeeson52.

Taken Tag Tournament 3: A Wavedash Among the Moonlight Wilderness

Biker19

Banned
Heihachis parenting reads like a Jeremy Kyle episode tag line:
1) I threw my son into a volcano and now he's come back for revenge
2) I frequently abuse my son to the point we ruined the resting place of our grandfather
3) I never told my family about our Swedish son.
4) I once strapped my grandson, son and granddad to a rocket and sent them them into outer space.

Kind of a prick.

Oh yeah, I forgot...he had an affair on his wife's back with another woman & got her pregnant, & Lars was brought out as a result.

Anyway, I've said too much & have derailed the thread long enough.

Ivan 3414

Oh yeah, I forgot...he had an affair on his wife's back with another woman & got her pregnant, & Lars was brought out as a result.

eh, it's really not said when Heihachi had that fling. For all we know it could have been after Kazumi died and IMO Lars looks a bit younger than Kazuya.

I think both Heihachi and Kazuya are evil but Heihachi is the lesser of two evils because...well, Heihachi isn't Satan.

Razzorn34

I'm not gonna say Heihachi is a model person. He will do anything to get what he wants, to control what he wants.Though, I have always respected the fact that he always tries to do everything with his own power. He's just a badass old dude through and through.

I always liked that in SFxT, he never actually used the Pandora power when you activated it. That would definitely go against what he is about. Stuff like that is why he has always been my favorite in Tekken.

Biker19

Banned
eh, it's really not said when Heihachi had that fling. For all we know it could have been after Kazumi died and IMO Lars looks a bit younger than Kazuya.

Well, you're right about that, as Lars is much, much younger than Kazuya is.

I think both Heihachi and Kazuya are evil but Heihachi is the lesser of two evils because...well, Heihachi isn't Satan.

Kazuya's the innocent one in all of this. Were it not for Heihachi, then none of this would have came to be, & Kazuya would still be the kind person that he was before.

AmyS

4: Tekken 5 (good pop and perfectly timed visual interacting with the music)

Tekken 4 was great for Heihachi in that pimp jacket and the first time hearing them speak I think. The Mishima stuff was great but the new character clips were pretty poor. Christie wafting through her Rio apartment is lame.

Tag did have amazing music.

Personally I would go:
1: Tekken 3
2: Tekken 2
The top two are just so tight; there's not a wasted frame in there.
3: Tekken 4
4. Tekken Tag
5. Tekken 5 (starts off so well but the music in the second half is a total passion killer: "I'm here noooow. I'm doing the best I can" Oh god.

I was very close to buying a Tekken 3 arcade kit in early 1998 from National Console Support, just prior to the Japanese PS1 release.

Here is the exact NCS journal entry which nearly got me to shell out for Tekken 3 arcade [anyone remember it?]:

QLZC9B0.png

Glad Namco put that Arcade History bonus in PS2 Tekken 5 so I could play arcade Tekken 3 to my heart's content.

Renekton

I'm not gonna say Heihachi is a model person. He will do anything to get what he wants, to control what he wants.Though, I have always respected the fact that he always tries to do everything with his own power. He's just a badass old dude through and through.

I always liked that in SFxT, he never actually used the Pandora power when you activated it. That would definitely go against what he is about. Stuff like that is why he has always been my favorite in Tekken.
Well he's not above freaky anti-ageing solutions :D

SkylineRKR

He wanted to use a gun on Jin. That was sort of weak. I think this was canon.

Nice intro. I like how focused it is on father and son (and a lot of lava). It's ridiculous, but Tekken has gone way past that a long time ago.

Console intro should be pretty good too. Expecting the extended/completely new intro for it, as the norm goes, to be pretty awesome too. Just leave out the awful types of songs that T5 had.

Why can't the game (or any fighting game in general) look anywhere close to that intro? :(

On PS1/2, they always featured the most detailed ingame characters across genres which makes sense because it's just two models and a background. Never understood why this didn't boost graphics on the newer consoles.

Regarding the intro, I don't like the focus on just those two in a random setting. But I'm sure the console version will feature little intros for some of the other characters.

Top Bottom