• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Opening cinematic for the Arcade version

Numb

Lack of Marduk so far in Tekken 7 is pushing me towards King.

namco-high-2.jpg

Numb

The sad part is I've seen this shit in my Tekken artbooks for (edit: OVER) A DECADE! Yes, this was ONCE a series deserving of artbooks and then they just gave up.

Yeah i was sad to find out the art in the WE ARE TEKKEN edition of Tag 2 was just the different character select arts.
It is not gonna be easy to have new character outfits and Harada believes having customization is enough.

Yeah i was sad to find out the art in the WE ARE TEKKEN edition of Tag 2 was just the different character select arts.
It is not gonna be easy to have new character outfits and Harada believes having customization is enough.
They went all out for Tekken's 10th anniversary coinciding with Tekken 5's release. That artbook, showcasing the series' evolution was fantastic. That was back when they also had a bunch of promotional only shots. Now, we get a re-posed image of the same art we've seen since 2004.

What a difference these past ten years have been. SFIV came back strong, MK9 came back strong. Tekken? Just sort of existed and fizzled, no?

Momentary

Banned
I really hope Heihachi beats Kazuya once and for all. It could end with both of them dying. With Jin, Kazuya and Heihachi dead... that leaves Lars. Lars is awesome.

Numb

They went all out for Tekken's 10th anniversary coinciding with Tekken 5's release. That artbook, showcasing the series' evolution was fantastic. That was back when they also had a bunch of promotional only shots. Now, we get a re-posed image of the same art we've seen since 2004.

What a difference these past ten years have been. SFIV came back strong, MK9 came back strong. Tekken? Just sort of existed and fizzled, no?

Fighting games were on the decline up until SFIV came out. MK9 came back strong because it had MKvDC before it which was not great. But Tekken on the other hand was never on the decline going from Tekken 3 to Tag 1 and 4 which was unpopular but had a scene in the US to 5,6 and and tag 2 which are all great. It was not bad but it never got any better.

Sayah

Tekken was doing more than fine until Tekken Tag 2. The first six games sold 3 million+.

Tag 2 barely reached like 2 million, which is still good but not as good as how the series has historically performed.

With Tekken 7, sales could go in any direction. Maybe even lower than TTT2 or perhaps go back to the standard 3 mil + that each game in the series sold before.

This is not even counting arcade profits, the primary source of revenue for Tekken.

Numb

Tekken was doing more than fine until Tekken Tag 2. The first six games sold 3 million+.

Tag 2 barely reached like 2 million, which is still good but not as good as how the series has historically performed.

With Tekken 7, sales could go in any direction. Maybe even lower than TTT2 or perhaps go back to the standard 3 mil + that each game in the series sold before.

This is not even counting arcade profits, the primary source of revenue for Tekken.

I get the feeling the sales for Tekken 7 might be very low compared to the standard.
Tekken tag 2 was basically the ultimate Tekken game and it sold weak.Tekken 7 lacking half the cast in Tag 2 and introducing new mechanics that are not that game changing might not create a bump in sales.

Sayah

I get the feeling the sales for Tekken 7 might be very low compared to the standard.
Tekken tag 2 was basically the ultimate Tekken game and it sold weak.Tekken 7 lacking half the cast in Tag 2 and introducing new mechanics that are not that game changing might not create a bump in sales.

Well, Tag 2 had its own reasons for sales decline imo. Despite being a love letter to the fans, the game released in a busy year for fighters with a lot of competition (Dead of Alive 5, Street Fighter X Tekken, SoulCalibur V, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, Persona 4 Arena, PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend) towards the very end of the console generation.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I hope Tekken Tag Tournament 2 gets remastered for the next gen consoles some day. I'd love to have it with cleaner visuals. And non-Wii U owners deserve to have Tekken Ball, dagnubbit. Heck, I wouldn't mind Tekken 6 with better loading, IQ and netcode either.

Well, Tag 2 had its own reasons for sales decline imo. Despite being a love letter to the fans, the game released in a busy year for fighters with a lot of competition (Dead of Alive 5, Street Fighter X Tekken, SoulCalibur V, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, Persona 4 Arena, PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend) towards the very end of the console generation.
I honestly feel that if TTT2 had featured legacy outfits and modes and advertised them, it could have drawn in the former players with nostalgia. Hell even a blocky polygon graphics mode or something. It was hardly the ultimate Tekken for me as it was merely Tekken 6 with some new mechanics.

Sayah

This comment from ATP is hilarious:

And at the end of this intro, Lucky "Weaboo" Chloe bounces in, says "CAN I PLAY TOO?!" and starts beating the crap out of devil Kazuya.

Standing over the corpses of Kazuya and Heihachi, she exclaims "Super kawaii desu, heeheeheee!!" and promptly starts a pillow-fight with an alien.

I think the guy credited some Flynnchop guy.
But yeah, hilarious.
I honestly feel that if TTT2 had featured legacy outfits and modes and advertised them, it could have drawn in the former players with nostalgia. Hell even a blocky polygon graphics mode or something. It was hardly the ultimate Tekken for me as it was merely Tekken 6 with some new mechanics.

It's the most content heavy Tekken game....or at that.....one of the most content heavy fighting games ever.

I hope Tekken Tag Tournament 2 gets remastered for the next gen consoles some day. I'd love to have it with cleaner visuals. And non-Wii U owners deserve to have Tekken Ball, dagnubbit. Heck, I wouldn't mind Tekken 6 with better loading, IQ and netcode either.

I would LOOOOOVE a Tekken 6/Tekken Tag 2 Collection with netcode improvements, cleaner visuals, and extra features.

This comment from ATP is hilarious:

I think the guy credited some Flynnchop guy.
But yeah, hilarious.

It's the most content heavy Tekken game....or at that.....one of the most content heavy fighting games ever.

I would LOOOOOVE a Tekken 6/Tekken Tag 2 Collection with netcode improvements, cleaner visuals, and extra features.
Content heavy? A training story mode and a few versions of arcade battles isn't my idea of content heavy.

Numb

They need to remaster it right now so i can get rid of my PS3.

Heman

Cool little intro , hopefully the console version will get a more fleshed out one. What worries me is yoshimitsu and lei not being shown yet......hopefully they are not cut out.

Tekken almost single handedly keeps fighting games alive in the arcades, and has for at least the last decade.

Tekken almost single handedly keeps fighting games alive in the arcades, and has for at least the last decade.
No doubt, for the scene, and mostly abroad. But it hasn't made a splash outside of that scene. They tried feeding off of the MMA popularity with 6 to no avail.

I'm a big fan of the series, just not what it's been doing (or not doing). I love the enthusiasm from the competitive crowd because it makes seem like a big deal. It just isn't as fun or exciting to witness as of late.

AmyS

Dumb question but I don't think anyone asked it yet:

Is that Tekken 7 intro just totally pre-rendered CG, or is it in fact non-interactive Unreal Engine 4 ?

TTT2 is my favorite game this generation. This intro was good for Tekken 7. But it doesn't compare to TTT2's intro. TTT2 was just amazing in length and coolness.

Momentary

Banned
Ehh, I don't like how the cinematic is only focused on a handful of characters unlike older tekken games.

Older Tekken arcade openings were less than 30 seconds long and only showed a few characters. Tekken 4 broke this mold but even then they didn't showcase a ton of characters... Just Heihachi and Kazuya. Tekken 5 and Tekken 5 DR had openings with a handful of characters. Tekken 6 original arcade opeing only showed the new characters and Bloodline Rebellion showed even less than that.

I don't see where people are saying the CGI is awful but eh, it is what it is. I think it's a pretty great opening cinematic...now just give me one where it shows some of the other characters.

Momentary

Banned
I don't see where people are saying the CGI is awful but eh, it is what it is. I think it's a pretty great opening cinematic...now just give me one where it shows some of the other characters.

Probably going to have to wait for the console opening. The CGI looks technically better than anything they've done (arcade openings that is) in the past and the music was pretty awesome to boot.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Tekken 5 and Tekken 5 DR had openings with a handful of characters..

One of the reasons Tekken 5's is my favorite introduction is that it touches on almost every playable character (I think it's only Mokujin and non-Devil Jin that don't make appearances). The new characters get the most screen time, as one would expect, but everyone else still gets a second (or more) to look cool.

Even those brief flashes do a great job of showing off the large cast in a way that piques interest. Leaving them out entirely is kind of frustrating. They can have the sweet Heihachi Kazuya showcase, but there ought to be something else for the rest of the cast. Hopefully the console intro for 7 will fulfill that need.

Line_HTX

Trailer was cool, but
where's Jun? :p
Don't fret everyone, I'm sure Lucky Chloe will get some love on the console opening. :lol

The OTP of Tekken.

RNG tastes delicious,
gao gao~

Lili and Asuka had pretty neat synergy in Tag 2 haha.
While I don't mind Lucky Chloe, I hope that she doesn't have a better matchup against Lili. >:p

I remember the thread and I agree it had some pretty cool stuff, but free dlc, non-button mashy, and having solid mechanics and balance etc aren't what I'd consider content.

It had all of the standard fighter modes plus that Combot mode.

I don't want to stretch this out, I love Tekken, it just doesn't capture me like it used to.

danmaku

I remember the thread and I agree it had some pretty cool stuff, but free dlc, non-button mashy, and having solid mechanics and balance etc aren't what I'd consider content.

It had all of the standard fighter modes plus that Combot mode.

I don't want to stretch this out, I love Tekken, it just doesn't capture me like it used to.

It had a ton of content as a multiplayer game, but not much as a single player game (almost nothing, actually).

It had a ton of content as a multiplayer game, but not much as a single player game (almost nothing, actually).
See my bias comes from the fact that I've invested so much of my imagination into this series when I was at a career deciding age and I've developed an interest in designing games. Not on technical level, but more of a directorial, artistic, and scenario writing role etc. Seeing those elements fade as the years went on saddened me. I still feel that what I have in mind for the series could be revolutionary for all fighters. I've, embarrassingly enough, even wrote Harada of my interest but no luck which isn't a surprise.

I know we all have cool ideas and fanfics for this and that but this is something I felt very strongly about. But all we get is this regressive entry in Tekken 7.

Niitris

Console intro will probably have more representation so, nice I suppose?

I'm not holding my breath on Bamco providing great SP content either but I think it's a bit too early to presume it won't be the case for TK7. I mean, all of the development efforts are currently dedicated to arcade regulars; I'm sure they'll have a plan for the home versions of the game. Whether the devs satisfy or not is another thing entirely but they'll definitely put forth some kind of effort.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
RNG tastes delicious,
gao gao~

Lili and Asuka had pretty neat synergy in Tag 2 haha.
While I don't mind Lucky Chloe, I hope that she doesn't have a better matchup against Lili. >:p

Lol!

I'll have no words if Lucky Chloe ends up being top tier.
Pleeeeease make it happen!

This is all I ever wanted from Tekken.

No Xiau Yu Dicking around with a panda
No Bryan laughing
No that one girl rubbing her butt
No Bob saving banks

Just Big Daddy Kaz and Heihachi going at it in a volcano

Top Bottom