• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Opening cinematic for the Arcade version

Sayah

Nicely choreographed fight scene. I can tell Heihachi and devil will both die and Mishima saga will end as a result. Jin will probably free himself from devil gene as well. Just predictions at this point though.

AAK

same old boring stuff

bigger question is wheres the rest of the playable roster, wheres ma jin at

Regarding the intro, I don't like the focus on just those two in a random setting. But I'm sure the console version will feature little intros for some of the other characters.
There hasn't been any evolution of the characters so it's not something you can look at an Intro and be like "Woah look how _______ changed in _______ way!" Can't get the same effect as in Tekken 3 and such. Hence they're just focusing on the story aspect I presume.

Besides if THAT character appears in the intro it will automatically be a shitty intro, so better safe than sorry in my eyes.

Why can't the game (or any fighting game in general) look anywhere close to that intro? :(

On PS1/2, they always featured the most detailed ingame characters across genres which makes sense because it's just two models and a background. Never understood why this didn't boost graphics on the newer consoles.

I'm no expert, but I'm gonna make an educated guess where in today's market, other games can get away with being at a variable 30 fps while fighting games must STRICTLY maintain 60 fps at all times. Hence the visuals will most always look worse than other games in the market. I'm gonna assume games in the ps1/ps2 era were rarely lower than 60 fps. That's why I'm gonna assume the visuals of fighting games never advanced the same way action adventure and shooter games did. My presumption could be completely off the mark so for anyone more versed on the topic feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Uthred

Made of cheese, love it. Also amusing how, despite being a complete bastard, theres something admirable about Jinpachi going toe to toe with devil gene enhanced fuckers using just his pointy haired manliness.

Harada has been doing this shit for years, it's come to the point where he's turning this series into an anime.

It didn't come to anything thats where it started

Sayad

It just keeps getting worse and worse. Tekken used to be amazing and I loved every game announcement. After T5:DR it's just gone down the shitter. All this intro made me think of was the fight between Goku and Freiza as Namek was exploding.

Then again Tekken reminds me more and more of Dragonball Z. None of the other characters even hold a candle to Jin, Heihachi or Kazuya. So it makes you wonder what the point is anymore. Desperately needs a reboot. Mortal Kombat did it great with MK9, I think Tekken should follow suit. With some new blood on the team too. Harada has been doing this shit for years, it's come to the point where he's turning this series into an anime.
This is probably the point of Tekken 7(ending the Mishima arc) and part of why Harada isn't bothering with the game much.

Kain

For me Tekken desperately needs two things:

- A reboot. They did it once with Tekken 3, they can do it again.

- Changing the artstyle, it's been the same since 5. I understand Harada when he says that they don't change characters' clothes from game to game to keep the identity, but that only works if you change the overall art. If there's one lesson from SF they need to learn it's that.

Oh and Lee, where the fuck is Lee????? I want Lee, damn it, he is my main T_T

SkylineRKR

Tekken 4 was great for Heihachi in that pimp jacket and the first time hearing them speak I think. The Mishima stuff was great but the new character clips were pretty poor. Christie wafting through her Rio apartment is lame.

Tag did have amazing music.

Personally I would go:
1: Tekken 3
2: Tekken 2
The top two are just so tight; there's not a wasted frame in there.
3: Tekken 4
4. Tekken Tag
5. Tekken 5 (starts off so well but the music in the second half is a total passion killer: "I'm here noooow. I'm doing the best I can" Oh god.

1. TTT1 its one the best intros out there period.
2. Tekken 4. Its pretty good, story wise the best. Probably prefer arcade ver.
3. Tekken 2. I loved this way back, just awesome.
4. Tekken 5 DR Arc/Ps3. I like the music of this one.
5. Tekken 3. It was good, but I thought T2 did a better job on showing characters.
6. Tekken 5. Agreed about music change. Prefer arc version for this reason.
7. Tekken 6. Okay but nothing stellar.
8. TTT2 console. Didn't like it much.
9. Tekken 1. Good for its time but just the worst of the bunch.

Tekken 6 BR intro (its with the mobile phone and motorcycle?) and TTT2 Arc intro are great as well. Probably tied at third place.

DR2K

Banned
Why can't the game (or any fighting game in general) look anywhere close to that intro? :(

On PS1/2, they always featured the most detailed ingame characters across genres which makes sense because it's just two models and a background. Never understood why this didn't boost graphics on the newer consoles.

Regarding the intro, I don't like the focus on just those two in a random setting. But I'm sure the console version will feature little intros for some of the other characters.

Cinematic AAA 100 million dollar blockbusters don't even look like that cg. This generation of hardware can't seem to do 60FPS and 1080p without some significant sacrifices to visuals.

Huh, didn't think fighting in a volcano was an actual trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClimacticVolcanoBackdrop
I don't understand why Kazuya needs to become satan himself just to kill an old man. The only thing Heihachi really did that whole trailer was headbutt Kazuya...

Dude

Dude

Play Tekken 5. He survived an explosion of a building that sent him flying miles away and landed face first in the ground.

I would be using lasers to kill this "old man" too.
You also forgot he has ELECTRIC POWERS. He's practically a human battery. Why do you think his hair stick up?

AAK

Yeah, Saint spoke to one of the producers on the team that confirmed it. I'll take it with a grain of salt for now as they may be time released at some point in the future. I'll be incredibly sad if the Bears are axed.

Wow so a Producer said that? Lee not being in the game is kind of shocking considering how much they're stressing the end of the "Mishima saga" and Lee is Heihachi's adopted son. Kinda weird how they won't close his story. I can see Bruce not being in the game since they hardly used his position as Kazuya's bodyguard in T6 any meaningful way... regardless they did make him a bit more braindead for comfort.... but Lee not being in the game is a pretty big shocker.

I guess Fighting GM can finally retire LOL.... but I will definitely miss UK's Shadowforce. :(

Moofers

I've been meaning to get in here and comment!

Love the intro. Its got that epic feel like it might finally be the last fight for those two. Still doesn't top the GOAT, which is Tekken 5's "Heihachi Mishima......is dead." intro. That one is one of the greatest video game intros of all time in my humble opinion.

I also love the extended console version of that one. So many great little stories being told in that. Nina vs Anna, Feng overtaking his mentor, King vs Marduk, etc. Simply epic.

I love Tekken. I can't wait to play this new one. The music, the stages, the outfits, all of it is the magic that games are made of. It takes me back to that classic era of the 90s in all the best ways.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Cyclops Tekken.

Never been a Tekken guy but I appreciate what the series has done for the fighting game genre. Hopefully it's a solid hit.

IKizzLE

Cg looked nice, albeit a little basic.
Whole game screams of harada just not caring. I bet he wants to close this out and make some quick money with as little effort as possible.

The speed they were moving, or the cuts they decided to make, made it seem like they were lacking power in some spots; like when Hehachi caught Kazuya's punches, and a few others.

GrayFoxPL

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Line_HTX

All that's left is to watch the final changes of gameplay. I'm ready for it and excited. This game's going to be fun in my eyes. Hopefully there will never be Bob to ruin the game ever again, no more of those OP characters.

Village

Nicely choreographed fight scene. I can tell Heihachi and devil will both die and Mishima saga will end as a result. Jin will probably free himself from devil gene as well. Just predictions at this point though.

hmm, I dunno about that.

Xav

2005, Tekken 5 and SoulCalibur III. The last time Namco actually made some kick ass CG openings.

What happened? :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I'll repost something i put earlier.

They dont have the budget to make the game look like that, to pour into the visuals considering they had to license a middleware engine to even get it looking like it does now.

To get the game's graphics looking significantly better or close to CG ala order 1886 via brand new shaders and significantly higher poly models(in the 100,000 count) would probably mean to create a brand new graphics pipeline dedicated only to certain high end machines via their own self created engine dedicated to their game. And a pretty big investment in R&D which Namco Bandai probably wasn't willing to spend on a diminishing genre that sold 1/6th the previous game, same with Capcom, which is why they are using UE4.

A lot of you folks seem to think this is still the 90s when japanese devs were still at the forefront, and technology could still be afforded to be invested in like that for a ton of devs. Not so

That was quite amazing.
Usually I don't expect much from the arcade intros, since they tend to be short and often pointless. But this was really well done.
Also, /Namco's CG quality still manages to wow me. Even in the face of "diminishing returns" you can still see them improve from iteration to iteration.
Now all I want is info on the time release characters.

Heihachi was smart to just hang back once Kazuya got to higher ground.

Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Man Tekken openings always hypes me up. I think out of all the fighter games I enjoy the story of Tekken the most. Anyone have a good website or resource that condenses the plot and what exactly the hell is a devil gene?

Sayah

Them gifs. Thanks grayfox.

This intro is really great. I don't know why anyone's complaining.

As far as best intros, I like Tekken DR more than anything.

Tekken Tag 2 (arcade), Tekken Tag 1 (console), Tekken 5 (console), and Tekken 3 (console) are really great as well.

Top Bottom