• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale games and Mojang announce MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (stand-alone product)

Camisado

This game isn't for us, it's for the kids...

You know, the kids who love minecraft but also deep and difficult snap judgement decision style adventure games that all lead to dark places... oh, wait.

Dunno what's up with all that skepticism. Telltale have never given us a reason to doubt them, and minecraft is just another seal of quality.

They had a dip in quality around Jurassic Park, but for the most part have been very consistent (especially lately). I'll try this for sure.

Squishy3

I was really hoping someone did say Minecraft in that thread about what licensed property you'd like Telltale to work on next, but alas

brau

hahahahhaa so much for star wars speculation.

Disappointed_Square.gif

Monomi

Neo Member
I absolutely love TWD, Wolf Among Us and the first episode of Game of Thrones, absolutely some of the top titles released over the past few years for me. But, really Telltale? I think they're better off mining from franchises that have a vast mythology/universe behind them like they did with the previously mentioned games. They are story driven games, after all, the better established the world it takes place in, the more the game benefits.

Since they're doing comics, and their ties with Robert Kirkman, why not make a superhero game through the Invincible comic series, for instance?

With this and the Borderlands 'story'....weird.

They are trying really hard to create story driven narratives for games where the story doesn't matter.

That's really strange decision, but I guess it could work.

How is Tales from the Borderland?

quickwhips

Yup, which is probably why they're doing it.

That's fine. Not something I'm particularly interested in, although I'll give it a look when it comes out to maybe see if its actually something I might enjoy.

You never know.

Yeah that is exactly how i feel. I know my nephew will want to play it. I might check it out if the demo is cool.

Dad

Has their studio even expanded? Or is their output going to slow to a crawl like when they simultaneously launched TWAU and TWDs2?

inm8num2

Gotta give Telltale credit, they at least go hard after popular IPs. Not sure how this will work out, but it will make them money.

Ovek

7Member7
Why don't they finish some of there other projects before taking on even more work? Bizarre way to run a creative studio, the team there must be worked in to the ground.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Can Bungie get them to do one for Destiny, since it and Minecraft have about the same level of exposition?

/8 days and counting of Destiny playtime

There really isn't a whole lot of info yet but if they could pull off Lego inspired schematics for the creatively challenged i think that would be a really cool feature to add to minecraft.

Much of GAF seems to be so detached from the massive ground swell of children growing up where Minecraft is 1,000x more important than Mario ever will be to them in their lives. Look how many dumb fuck games Mario was shoehorned into through the years. Yeah, cause golf and tennis make sense with Mario's "story." Minecraft is a massive brand name and icon for kids these days. You can make anything with "Minecraft" on it and they will probably love it. If this is a way to introduce kids to the adventure game genre as well, more power too them. Tales from Borderlands seemed like an awful idea when first announced but it seems to be getting a lot of praise.

If you "don't get Minecraft" then there is nothing I or anyone else can say to make you understand. The only thing I could suggest is watch some kids play it. Maybe then you will get it even if you don't enjoy playing it yourself.

AkuMifune

Banned

They are trying really hard to create story driven narratives for games where the story doesn't matter.

Apparently good. But Telltale has become the adventure game hired gun. Taking the Walking Dead model and running with it on any franchise that will hire them for the night. It's crazy. Makes everything they churn out feel cheaper somehow.

I just hope they know enough to change the formula before they sink with it.

Amir0x

Banned

That's exactly why I said we shouldn't shrug it off.

The first episode of the Telltales Borderland game has got seriously universal acclaim, one of their highest rated products yet. I don't know what this will be, but I'm not going to just shrug it off yet :p

tmarques

Ugh Telltale makes such terrible games. I really don't know why this needs to exist.

TWD worked because of the novelty and because it was actually kind of clever in how it tricked the player into thinking his decisions mattered. With Wolf Among Us they didn't even bother making it look like anything other than an animated comic book. It killed whatever interest I had in TWD 2.

I really don't get the continued praise they get for these games. Guess we'll never see a proper Sam & Max / Monkey Island sequel now.

So it's Minecraft, with none of the world building of Minecraft?

Okay. I'm sure kids will dig it.

it's definitely for kids it'll establish characters for the world of minecraft, building personalities = toys/clothes

I am sure adults will like it too im actually pretty surprised with the reception its getting here, im not even a big minecraft fan but i can see how this could be a great thing.

Telltale.....please make a story driven point and click based around the rock,or just an actual rock.

It seems you can make one about anything,so why not that.

Top Bottom