• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale games and Mojang announce MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (stand-alone product)

GavinUK86

What. Do I need to play Minecraft to understand the story? I don't any any of the lore and mythology surrounding the game world.

WKHMF.gif

Why wouldn't you be skeptical? Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Wolf and even Borderlands all have this big expanded universe and tons of source material where as Minecraft is just a sandbox lego game.

It's like saying telltale is making a jenga game, there is 0 reason to be excited at this point.
I had never heard of Wolf Among Us before the game, nor was the Borderlands lore deep enough to actually make a game like this, and they still delivered.

You say "there is nothing for them to draw from", I say "they have a blank slate to work with". I'm mostly surprised because this came the fuck out of nowhere.

This sounds pretty dumb. I love Minecraft, but the "Story Mode" in the game is the story you create yourself or with your friends. I don't want to hear some guy's story about Minecraft just like people don't want to hear my stories about playing Minecraft, people want to create their own. It really defeats the spirit of the game and seems like more of a cash in than anything.

Apparently good. But Telltale has become the adventure game hired gun. Taking the Walking Dead model and running with it on any franchise that will hire them for the night. It's crazy. Makes everything they churn out feel cheaper somehow.

I just hope they know enough to change the formula before they sink with it.

Even before Walking Dead, they were known for churning out Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and even fucking Strong Bad.

Bastardo

I told it when the MS deal went down and I'm saying it again:
Microsoft wants a second Lego.

Now they try to give the Minecraft heroes some character.

Kade

It's not for me but I know lots of kids who would consume anything Minecraft related. This is for them.

emb

I hope it's something that plays like a pre made Minecraft world rather than a Telltale adventure game. In my ideal scenario here, it's a Mojang game with a story written by Telltale, and subtly interwoven with the traditional gameplay. My niece and I loved just exploring and finding interesting things in the tutorial world, it'd be great if there were levels and stuff.

I don't think it's that. I think it's probably just a Telltale adventure game with a Minecraft skin and narrative.

So maybe we should all wait to see how this turns out before shrugging it off :p

We ain't reaching 30 pages with that mentality.

In all seriousness though, what exactly is there to explore in the type of game Telltale is known for? Minecraft has a mechanics driven narrative. The incredibly small ammount of story gotten from the game is only present when you defeat a completely optional and hard to get to final boss (ok, not that hard), and even then it is utterly criptic.

How long until we get something like a creatures of Minecraft, ala Skylanders? Get your Enderman figurines!

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Now for Bungie to get Telltale to make a Destiny game as both it and Minecraft have about the same amount of story.

8+ days of Destiny playtime and counting

biteren

cant wait for Call of Duty by Telltale

i guess it wont be too crazy since they are planning a film for Minecraft aswell

Amir0x

Banned
We ain't reaching 30 pages with that mentality.

In all seriousness though, what exactly is there to explore in the type of game Telltale is known for? Minecraft has a mechanics driven narrative. The incredibly small ammount of story gotten from the game is only present when you defeat a completely optional and hard to get to final boss (ok, not that hard), and even then it is utterly criptic.

How long until we get something like a creatures of Minecraft, ala Skylanders? Get your Enderman figurines!

I figure it'll be much like LEGO in terms of the way it approaches its narrative. Very sight-gag driven, very family oriented, focusing on the power of creativity and the importance of individuality.

Just because the thing that inspired it is, for the most part, a completely story-less enterprise (like Legos were), doesn't mean that the creative foundation can't be a launching pad for some really great stuff.

Look how well Minecraft merchandise sells. They ALREADY have a market for the Minecraft mascot. Expanding a universe around that is probably the least complicated part about this project

RoKKeR

See, an objective driven story mode set actually in Minecraft would be fucking awesome with the amount of freedom the sandbox presents.

This...eh.

I had never heard of Wolf Among Us before the game, nor was the Borderlands lore deep enough to actually make a game like this, and they still delivered.

You say "there is nothing for them to draw from", I say "they have a blank slate to work with". I'm mostly surprised because this came the fuck out of nowhere.

You got some reading to do! Try an internet search for "Fables comic."

Woah. This could be awfully interesting - goodness knows Minecraft has enough potential to carry a story. I look forward to it.

At the very least, it's good to see that we'll probably get one more good Minecraft property before Microsoft ruins it. :p

Replace the words "Minecraft" with Lego and there is your answer. A plastic toy where you build things has become a mega game franchise and released a hit movie. Going from a sand box video game to a adventure game is a far smaller jump.

Edit: And for anyone who doesn't tune in to NPD and sales chats. Here is a fun little fact, Minecraft charts high, always. Always. No matter the month, the consoles it is on, it beasts every chart I have seen posted on GAF for over a year. Mario's, COD's, Destiny's,GTA's come and go with their chart topping power, but Minecraft lives in the top 10 and has no intention on leaving it seems.

The difference is that even without the licensed universes Lego still has plenty of it's own original characters and worlds with their own unique stories. Lego's appeal works both as a create whatever you want toys or as a create a set with pre designed blue prints, heck that's what the movie was about. Minecraft is all about building whatever you want and exploring it's massive world. I get telling stories in minecraft but not a story about minecraft itself.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well gaf hates it already so it's pretty much a guaranteed (iOS) blockbuster :p

Sounds so weird though, I'm not even sure why even kids and minecraft fans would crave for a narrative driven minecraft game, which to me sounds as little minecrafty as humanly possible. "We take away the boundless world, the exploration, the creativity, and the crafting concept but promise you a really minecrafty game"

Carl

I'm not sure the kids that play minecraft will care about this. They want to play minecraft and build shit. Not some weak telltale story

Top Bottom