• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack: Driver runs over Muslim pedestrians leaving Mosque in London

In the sense that the victims are more random. You set off a bomb in the middle of a crowded street you dunno who you might kill, but driving into a group of people leaving a mosque you pretty much know who is getting hit. You are targeting a specific religion.

Are you actually serious

Rmagnus

Banned
In the sense that the victims are more random. You set off a bomb in the middle of a crowded street you dunno who you might kill, but driving into a group of people leaving a mosque you pretty much know who is getting hit. You are targeting a specific religion.

.... What are you on about boo.? I don't understand where you are going with this

Sanjay

An attack in public eye is to cause terror among people, to put fear into them. That's the goal of all terrorist attacks.

It's so sad seeing how "terrorism" is now exclusively linked to Islamic terrorism, but when it comes to white terrorists, media has a hard time calling it by its name.

Skyzard

Banned
*shrug* Sounds more like a hate crime to me since it seems to be targeted at Muslims, terrorism seems more indiscriminate. But I'll leave it up to the police to call it, I'm assuming they would be very different type of investigations.

A hate crime he says, with a shrug.

It's a crime that shows hatred of muslims, true. That crime is terrorism:

The United Kingdom's Terrorism Act 2000 defined terrorism as follows:
1 - In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where:
(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

2 - Action falls within this subsection if it:
(a) involves serious violence against a person,
(b) involves serious damage to property,
(c) endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,
(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public or
(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.[57]

Avtomat

Its on sky news as a potential Terrorist Attack

Edit: added tge word potential, sorry my bad
This is how this sort of thing is described until it's proven as not an accident.

It's on the BBC as a potential terrorist attack as well, when it's confirmed I am almost certain it will be called a terrorist attack.

DBT85

Corbyn was apparently there with the local community leaders all night.

Also apparently the Immam of the mosque saved the guys life by making everyone back off.

Dryk

Bomb attacks are still targeted. They attack places and events that they know will have a higher concentration of the demographics they want to kill. But even then you're ignoring the simple fact that the difference between terrorism and a hate crime is political motivation.

FWIW, that definition makes the Charlie attack not a terrorist attack. You'll easily see why it doesn't work.

FyreWulff

every terrorist attack is targeted, dude

Uhyve

A terrorist attack is by definition designed to cause fear (literally just look at the word). If you're being more specifically targeted, of course it's a more effective attack.

Terrorism isn't just random attacks that make you specifically feel less at ease.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Oh, so when ISIS and other extremists blow up Sunni/Christian mosques/churches in the Middle East, that isn't terrorism because they're targeting members of a specific religion? The Church shooting in the States last year wasn't terrorism either I suppose.

Ugh...stuff like this really shows how news outlets can be grossly biased and will label events based on what they want the general narrative to be. It's pathetically blatant this time so hopefully they can get their act together.

Peace to the victims and families :(

Just want to say that so far it is being covered in the way posters here wanted. Terrorism, Islamophobia and right wing extremism are all being thrown around and haven't heard a single mental illness excuse. We have issues with our media but it ain't fox news.

Last night's terrorist attack, and it was a terrorist attack, is another example of extremist views manifesting in dangerous forms.

Can we call this hate preachers and extremist propaganda like Katie Hopkins, Tommy Robinson, the Sun and Daily Mail inciting hate?

I genuinely feel that one of the biggest issues is that things like this are now bubbling under the surface, where the anti-Muslim rhetoric is now "acceptable" and, thus, violence is becoming an appropriate response. The terrorists will be hailed as heroes by the extremists.

Juicy Bob

Getting pretty sick of waking up, checking my phone and reading about another major incident in this country.

We need to stop killing each other.

It's so sad seeing how "terrorism" is now exclusively linked to Islamic terrorism, but when it comes to white terrorists, media has a hard time calling it by its name.

Well many white people have a problem calling it terrorism because they feel like they're implicating themselves. It's why these acts are always framed as an individual failing when there is no other label they can put on that person that separates him/her from all the good honest folks who just happen to be the same skin color.

It's also why it's so easy to attribute the actions of a few to all other non white people.

This is so scary. There was a Muslim teen murdered last night on her way home from prayers in the US, the Quebec mosque shooting and now this. It's becoming so unstable that it's just not safe to be a practicing Muslim.

But what's really sickening is that the general consensus is that the Muslim community in the U.K. "had it coming" or that this is somehow "revenge". All terrorism is branded as "revenge". It's not "unfortunate" that the "wrong people were targeted" it's just murder, plain and simple.

It's basically become an us versus them narrative, which leaves the vast majority of moderate Muslims in extreme jeopardy. I think that with the way this situation is headed in a few years time it will no longer be possible to be a Muslim in Western/ European countries.

Desmond

Watching the Sky News broadcast on Facebook video now. Goddamn, the amount of laughing emojis is breaking my heart.

Biske

Disgusting. I honestly fear for the future of society.

It's not as if plenty of societies don't live with this kind of shit far far more and have for decades. How many terror attacks and bombings in countries happen every day, and nobody bats an eye.

Society will be fine and we are generally progressing to less violence.

Well many white people have a problem calling it terrorism because they feel like they're implicating themselves. It's why these acts are always framed as an individual failing when there is no other label they can put on that person that separates him/her from all the good honest folks who just happen to be the same skin color.

It's also why it's so easy to attribute the actions of a few to all other non white people.

Go away with your U.S. political point scoring. Take it to a thread that deserves it.

It's especially hard for some to call it terrorism because any Islamic terrorism attack has been the fault of Muslims and it's Muslims who should be showing remorse and Muslims who should be doing more to stop it and the responsibility is Islam. When you push that narrative it's hard to paint "one of your own" as a terrorist.

Dopus

Banned
O_ZJd5PPQPiflGUR88P4DQ.png

IrishNinja

yeah, always wanna say trump's america but it happened here & everywhere else long before him & will do so long after

Uhyve

Historically, the UK has labelled white people as terrorists quite commonly, most recently with "the troubles". I think it might be worse than that, I think that the media might just not care about terrorism if the victims aren't white.

It's still early though, hopefully this starts getting proper coverage and a thorough investigation.

Lakitu

st5fu
RIP. This is horrible. I hate to see what's become of my city. Feels like the worst year ever.

I'm curious to see how Theresa May is going to spin this one.

They should make an example out of the terrorist and try to prevent any sort of revenge attacks.

Skyzard

Banned

"at this early stage"
"however the investigation continues"

I am going to be shocked when 2 more are arrested but they "didn't want to alert the suspects" - (new) standard practice.

Hope I'm wrong, because that's some nasty stuff.

SteveWD40

Ssdly I see this being treated the same way that the Terrorist attack on Jo Cox was: "an act of a loner / mentality ill man"

Shit like this should be laid at Britains First door for them to "apologise" on behalf of white people.

Top Bottom