• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cancelled Oblivion: PSP Revealed

NateDog

Hot damn I never heard of this. Amazing how long the system has been supported (at least in Japan) and now stuff like this. The PSP was such a damn good system, don't think I'll ever maintain a gaming library without one.

I've been saying from day one, the Vita needs a full port of Morrowind. This just further cements my mighty need for a portable Elder Scrolls.

So THIS is what that guy gave you. Fantastic :D I always wanted to play this and was pretty disappointed it never got anywhere. ROM dumped, I assume?
"stay tuned". got it.

Mr.Fox

Part of me wish they had finished this and released the game, the other part of me got sick and bored by the 8th minute of this last video.

I also just remembered that the PSP had no right analog stick, so... maybe it wouldn't have been great having yet another first person action game with shitty camera controls.

I've been saying from day one, the Vita needs a full port of Morrowind. This just further cements my mighty need for a portable Elder Scrolls.

Game would need a serious re-work, and I'm not talking about the UI. The UI could work on a Vita screen with proper scaling (dat touch screen)

Morrowind runs like trash on even the best hardware to this day.

Yeah, what the hell? This looks A LOT better than a bunch of the console-port garbage that came out on PSP originally.

Looking at the build timeline and when it was cancelled this was mid to late Fallout 3 development. So I'd suspect hard shift into finishing that could be why.

Nevermind, double checked and it was a different studio, so probably budget.

Looks really good!

Watching the aiming in first person is painful.

Nothing could have saved the Vita in the West. The system even got a call of duty.

Yeah, and it was so fantastic it got a meta of 33.

I think a good GTA and a good CoD could have done really good for the system.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
A shame the TV Out on the PSP Go is so knackered, I would have loved to been able to play this on a PSP on the go (heh) and then on a big TV at home.

impact

Banned
This would have played terribly on PSP. FPS game on the one analog nub gives me hand cramps just thinking about it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Vitor711 said:
This looks A LOT better than a bunch of the console-port garbage that came out on PSP originally.
PSP also received some mid to high-tier PS2 quality games, so pretending those didn't exist because of the shovel-ware downports later in the gen doesn't change what hw could do.

Cday

Banned
Oh, thanks Zenimax Media Inc.! SOMEONE needed to take down those rogue videos expressing interest in content you are evidently no longer interested in yourself! God modern internet is stupid.

MCN

Banned
Dear Zenimax,

In what way did videos of a game you yourselves have no intention of releasing, affect your business?

Fuck you, and the horse you rode in on.

Lots of love,

Neil

CamHostage

Never understood why companies try to hide stuff like this. Especially this much later on. How would footage of a cancelled PSP game affect you in such a way that you need it removed.

Well, there's little in it for them other than bad press and ill will from fans, so I get it ... but it's still a cowardly and ass-hatted move to pull it. And this is lose-lose for them to act, because now we all see Zenimax as lawyer-ed-up cowards who cannot allow history to be history and for the efforts of hard-working designers to not just be mothballed and forgotten.

All props to Volition and Insomniac BTW for being brave enough to engage with their fans regarding their lost projects rather than just shutting up the vaults and throwing away the keys. I'm personally more apt to buy one of these company's products next time because they have engaged me to become personally connected to the people who run studios like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8O2cLAiWIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzM3FdoBIMc

Tangential curiosity. Considering Kotaku leaked AC including screenshots, logos, characters, etc.. and as far as we can tell the only consequence has been Ubisoft giving them the cold shoulder. Does Zenimax, or any company, have any actual ground to stand on in terms of releasing leaked media of games?

Releasing content to YT is very different from posting it on your own servers. Youtube just says, "Oh, you say this is illegal? Well, we won't ask any questions, we've got tons of other things to worry about, so down it goes." A private site would have different concerns as well as different abilities. That said, a private website posting this for fun would be wise to be wary of dropping the content on their own servers even if they have no concerns about Zenimax not being their friend. Likely nothing would really come of it, but if a company wanted to make your life hell for posting content they feel is in their rights to keep private, the law as I understand it would in most every way be on their side.

tskeeve

Those graphics are shockingly good for the hardware. FPS is smooth as hell too. Dat PSP solo stick would've been miserable for control though.

CamHostage

Always hoped that video of this would get out there, so happy that it's finally here to see and that so much of the game actually ran!

I never put it together before, but now that I see it I'm making the connection between Climax Studios' Silent Hill PSP games being a serviceable engine for an RPG like Elder Scrolls. (That, or Climax had the Elder Scrolls PSP model engine in some sort of shape when Konami came calling, not sure the timeline as there's overlap there; I wonder if the Climax/Konami US development issue on SH Origins also were a problem?) They had a lot of strong elements in the SH engine as I remember it (including lots of effects, good texture handling, robust lighting simulation, and suitable indoor/outdoor presentation. Some of the simple combat might have even worked into making the prototype easier to produce. This Elder Scrolls PSP build looks really nice and smooth, so it seems like Climax got a lot out of the system and their engine.

Would like to see some outdoor stages if they're in the build, curious to see if they had that cool bloom lighting in this build and how open the not-open-world outside areas would have been?
ElderScrollsPSP--FromUnseen64.jpg

EDIT - Oh duh, the OP has a snapshot of an outdoor section on this engine. Looks like it's a similar area, but I'm not seeing the bloom seen in some of the Unseen64 shots, so I wonder where that places this build in the development timeline.
9BZJZsP.png

BTW, talking of Climax reminds me that I have to dig into the Vita version of their Assassin's Creed Chronicles. Climax also did Resogun Vita, Dead Nation Vita, Smart As, the two Silent Hills games on PSP, and more for Sony's portables. Then and now, Climax helps keep my portables fed...

BibiMaghoo

OP, this is now trending on Facebook. I guess that means Bethesda are now furiously trying to figure out how they can release it.

On Iphone

xzeldax3

I'm really shocked at how good it looks. The PSP was one of my favorite systems and I played the shit out of it for years. I'll never forget the first day I bought one.

I'm really shocked at how good it looks. The PSP was one of my favorite systems and I played the shit out of it for years. I'll never forget the first day I bought one.
I laid on my tum tum and watched spiderman 2. Played some need for speed, soccer, and dynasty warriors. Great day

Borman

I do hope that some of you come check out the other stuff. I streamed a bunch of standard, regular old Oblivion today and did a lot of talking, which I should be able to share soonish.

Top Bottom