• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew runs at native 1080p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Taking the words of the devs literally, in this case, it's only Xbone that's holding the other platforms.

if i remember correctly, this isn't so much a visual issue as it is a case trying to force a complex simulated open world on a fistful of dogshit jaguar cores; the world's logic is coded to tick over at 30fps and they're not about to put in the leg work to enable a 60fps PC version.

for all the GPU dickwaving comparisons, the real technological failing of these new consoles in their CPUs. games will look better (more so on PS4), worlds will get bigger, but it's going to be a very difficult thing to make them more complex on a simulation or interactivity level given what devs have to work with.

breakfuss

You know, I hate to jump on this 60fps wagon, but after playing Driver:SF I understand exactly what you guys are talking about. Makes a world of difference.

shandy706

Sucks that the PS4 version is being held back for the sake of parity. From the GameXplain video, a lot of the textures look quite bad.

Pretty sure crappy textures is a developer problem, not a hardware one.

PS4/X1/PC should all have top tier textures...even with "parity" in other areas.

Man parity sucks too much!
I hope the Division doesn't suffer because of this...
Let the PC version run at its most potential, let the PS4 run at its most potential, let the XO version run at its most potential

let the consumer purchase which version they want

MDSLKTR

So? Most of the best arcade racers have been 60 FPS.

You think burnout would be held in such high regard if it was 30 FPS? The answer is no. People wouldn't even know or care who criterion was if they made 30 FPS racers.

Critierion NFS games are 30fps and I'm sure a single entry sold more than all burnouts combined

geordiemp

Good to know PS4 versions will continue to be held back for parity. No reason this and UFC aren't 1080p/60 on PS4 with XB1 being 1080p/30.

Will spend my money where developers can be bothered to put some effort into each console version. Did not buy NFS rivals either.

Next gen racing games should be 60 fps.

Their loss.

Is the PS4 version being held back by the XB1 version? If it's going to run well on XB1, then yes, that HAS to be the case. Why are you arguing this?

I am not arguing that AT ALL. No where have I said such a thing.

If your logic is, weaker system holds back stronger system. The PS4 is holding the PC back as well.

Why are you arguing the fact that BOTH consoles can not keep up with the PC?

The XB1 will hold back the PS4, truth. The PS4 will hold back the PC, fact. IS what I am saying.

Piggus

Costs more money.

Not really. It cost virtually nothing to, for example, enable higher quality AA or better resolution effects on the PS4 and PC versions. They're implying that they are choosing not to do this. For reasons.

The gap is closing. Must be the new dev tools for the XB1.

Wrong. Amazing how well people latch onto Microsoft's blatant PR bullshit. The physical hardware gap will never close and the tools will improve on both platforms.

I don't think so.
From what they said it looks like they just wanted to make all versions looks the same.
So they just didn't use the potential Ps4 and PC had over XboxOne.

5YwtAc7.jpg

EvB

It was just a matter of time until the lesser console started dragging down everyone else.

But over in rational land....
EA released 2 games on the same day, one that was 1080p/30 on both formats and one that was 720p/900p on different formats.

There was never any suggestion that last gen 360 games were held back by their inferior Ps3 counterparts, I think it's pretty childish that people are suggesting it is happening this time around.

It's probably a case of both consoles can hit 30-40 fps at 1080p, but instead of leaving us with either a juddery image (infamous) or a teary image (killzone/titanfall) they have decided to cap it and have a stable consistent image.

besides, all this 1080p + framerate nonsense has just become a marketing tool of developers/publishers now, the Xbox One version could have textures half the resolution of the other version or half the particle effects or AA for all we know. People are being very childish about it.

Dafuq!? That quote translates to me as "we're lazy and don't want to give different platforms the best version possible".

Kojima, save us!!

i don't think that's the logic behind it. people will just buy the game for whatever platform they can that plays it best. and angering fanboys probably costs you like, a dozen sales, if that. the only reason i could think of for forced parity is to save on development by not developing platform specific niceties, or pressure from microsoft.

sure, that's exactly why. I'm being sarcastic actually.

But over in rational land....
EA released 2 games on the same day, one that was 1080p/30 on both formats and one that was 720p/900p on different formats.

There was never any suggestion that last gen 360 games were held back by their inferior Ps3 counterparts, I think it's pretty childish that people are suggesting it is happening this time around.

It's probably a case of both consoles can hit 30-40 fps at 1080p, but instead of leaving us with either a juddery image (infamous) or a teary image (killzone/titanfall) they have decided to cap it and have a stable consistent image.

besides, all this 1080p + framerate nonsense has just become a marketing tool of developers/publishers now, the Xbox One version could have textures half the resolution of the other version or half the particle effects or AA for all we know. People are being very childish about it.
If the game was a looker, i'd buy that, you're the one that needs to release yourself from your childish delusions.

ElFly

Please do not support 30fps racing games.

Burnout Paradise was 60fps open world last gen, how come we went backwards in technology.

I know. They can make the PS4 version look better. But they won't, because they're going for parity. That's the problem. Only a couple of people brought up that PS4 version should be 60fps. I'm not saying that.

On the scale of what they're saying they're going to cover with the entire continental United States and a variety of geography to match and a vast network of roads populated by dense and varied traffic in a seamless world with tons of players, MMO-style, there's no way to tell what they can really push that could be better-looking until the game is out for play. I think there's just way too much presumption about how things should be compared to each other without having the games to actually understand.

sublimit

Banned
I hate to be a prophet but i was predicting this situation even before this generation started.PS4 being more powerful will be completely pointless for most third party games since the publishers don't want to displease either platform holder.

sjay1994

Considering the scale for this game is bloody ridiculous (The entirety of the US)

I think 60fps might be pushing it a bit much.

Bgamer90

Banned

It's probably a case of both consoles can hit 30-40 fps at 1080p, but instead of leaving us with either a juddery image (infamous) or a teary image (killzone/titanfall) they have decided to cap it and have a stable consistant image.

Literally took the words out of my mouth. I was going to make the same points (though in a form of a question). On top of that, there's more to the way a game looks than resolution. The PS4 version could still look better.

Also, not buying the game due to "parity" is going to cause even more "parity" if a good number decide not to buy the PS4 version for similar reasons. The logic is as pointless/silly as Wii U owners refusing to by third party games. I don't think that will happen though since many will simply see "The Crew" for what it is without needing to decide whether or not to buy the game based on how versions on other platforms (that they more than likely don't even own) are.

Kinyou

Good to know PS4 versions will continue to be held back for parity. No reason this and UFC aren't 1080p/60 on PS4 with XB1 being 1080p/30.
Making the PS4 version look better is one thing, asking for 60fps might be a bit too much though.

Riky

$MSFT
I doubt the PS4 version could just automatically run at twice the framerate as people seem to think, take a 7850 and a 7790 and see if you get twice the framerate on PC, you don't.

ViciousDS

Banned
if lowest common denominator is 1080/30 on Xbone it should easily be able to hit 1080/60 on the PS4.........fucking parity crap.

Sucks to see PC will be a huge victim as well...I was planning on building a new PC this year but if all its going to do is get is the same looking experience whats the fricken point.

Top Bottom