• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Digital Bits on PS4 Pro and 4K Blu-Ray

Firmware updates turned PS3 Bluray player into Bluray Profile 1.1 and the Bluray Profile 2.0. Such profiles required the acquisition of new Bluray Players each time. Then we got a much bigger update to read 3D Blurays that of course require new Bluray players if you wanted a standalone one.

For this gen. I can neither confirm nor deny if it is possible to get UHD Bluray player via firmware. I know it won't be sorcery since it is different from last gen with the PS3 because UHD Bluray player need a dedicated lense and hardware to read multiple layer UHD Blurays.

Do we have any infos if the Bluray Player in the PS4 Pro is at least better than the one in the PS4?

Sony, numerous times, has literally said that the Pro won't support UHD discs.

Sony, numerous times, has literally said that the Pro won't support UHD discs.

And they said numerous times that it is not possible to have rumble feedback with gyroscope accelerometer engine in Sixaxis because it would cause interferences until they settled their issues with immersion company and released the DualShock 3 which had both and it was no longer impossible.

Maybe Sony is testing customers and see how much appeal the PS4 Pro will have at the start even if shipped without UHD Bluray Player. If there is much demand for it, they may do a miracle. Who knows.

Matt

And they said numerous times that it is not possible to have rumble feedback with gyroscope accelerometer engine in Sixaxis because it would cause interferences until they settled their issues with immersion company and released the DualShock 3 which had both and it was no longer impossible.

Maybe Sony is testing customers and see how much appeal the PS4 Pro will have at the start even if shipped without UHD Bluray Player. If there is much demand for it, they may do a miracle. Who knows.
...that doesn't make any sense.

None of these conspiracy theories make any sense. The Pro cannot and will not play UHD blu-rays. There is no legitimate reason why it would have the ability, and for Sony to save enabling it for later.

NeOak

Firmware updates turned PS3 Bluray player into Bluray Profile 1.1 and the Bluray Profile 2.0. Such profiles required the acquisition of new Bluray Players each time. Then we got a much bigger update to read 3D Blurays that of course require new Bluray players if you wanted a standalone one.

For this gen. I can neither confirm nor deny if it is possible to get UHD Bluray player via firmware. I know it won't be sorcery since it is different from last gen with the PS3 because UHD Bluray player need a dedicated lense and hardware to read multiple layer UHD Blurays.

Do we have any infos if the Bluray Player in the PS4 Pro is at least better than the one in the PS4?

We will have to wait until a teardown.

The XBO S has a different, more expensive drive than the original XBO one though.

None of these conspiracy theories make any sense. The Pro cannot and will not play UHD blu-rays. There is no legitimate reason why it would have the ability, and for Sony to save enabling it for later.

Yeah, it doesnt make sense. Theyre keeping this a secret because......they can? Test what exactly, if the UHD blurays are out there then why not just add the option if it was as simple as patching it in.......Lots of reaching going on in here.

Edit: this is the same company that forced a DVD and Bluray down our throats but now suddenly need to "test the market"? Ya ok

RedAssedApe

Banned

would be a good april fools joke

This is still pissing me off. I was planning to snap buy a PS4P this holiday, even though it barely has any games for me. The UHD drive would have tipped in it's favour though.

It's baffling that people are defending the exclusion too for a supposed premium console. Mind you there's also a "Denying EA Access is good for us" defence force too, so I ain't surprised.

This is still pissing me off. I was planning to snap buy a PS4P this holiday, even though it barely has any games for me. The UHD drive would have tipped in it's favour though.

It's baffling that people are defending the exclusion too for a supposed premium console. Mind you there's also a "Denying EA Access is good for us" defence force too, so I ain't surprised.

Yeah its basically peoples preferences that make them think like that.

For example, i like Apple. Ive had multiple different phones but i tend to prefer Apple and their ecosystem. Well for a day or 2, i was actually trying to convince myself that no headphone jack was a good idea. I was telling myself, well wireless is the future, thats why. But then i looked at every device out there, like consoles that have wireless controllers and yet still support you plugging it in with a wire. Why couldnt apple do that? But even knowing all that, i was still trying to convince myself.

All that to say, people have preferences and sometime will defend stupid decisions cause they like the company. Thats whats happening here.

Yeah its basically peoples preferences that make them think like that.

For example, i like Apple. Ive had multiple different phones but i tend to prefer Apple and their ecosystem. Well for a day or 2, i was actually trying to convince myself that no headphone jack was a good idea. I was telling myself, well wireless is the future, thats why. But then i looked at every device out there, like consoles that have wireless controllers and yet still support you plugging it in with a wire. Why couldnt apple do that? But even knowing all that, i was still trying to convince myself.

All that to say, people have preferences and sometime will defend stupid decisions cause they like the company. Thats whats happening here.

Absolutely. If it had UHD support, people would say how brilliant and logical was its inclusion in the console.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
one thing I will point out with the xbox one S is that the bits inside are practicly the same as the standard xbox one so will be massively cheaper to produce, the savings in manufacturing where it probably helped pay for the extra UHD drives. With the Pro it has all new componants inside so no cost saving realy just added expense if that makes sense

Top Bottom