• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Digital Bits on PS4 Pro and 4K Blu-Ray

So they don't want the PS4 Pro undercutting their soon to be released UHD 4K bluray player? Sounds like a bit of a misstep since Xbox will be able to play that same exact undercutting roll with the 1S. I don't know, maybe I'm not understanding this correctly.

Atomski

Hey does the PS4 Pro have a UHD Drive?

Sony: Sorry no

What.. you jest?

Sony: there was a lack of consumer interest

ppfftt what?!

Wait wait.. I get it Ridgy was right!

Sony: What?

You are gona firmware update the systems

Sony: What no...

Haha I get see through your lies

Sony: Sorry there will be no UHD support

Surrreeee nudge nudge

q9YTzwO.png

Fisty

Even if it was possible, at this point there's no way they could even flip the switch without a complete and total meltdown. They will save UHD for PS5 in 2019 when the games can use it too

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I believe in UHD off hard drive media collection than UHD physical media collection. I bought a TON of Blu Ray discs over the years which I recently sold most of at a decent loss. I don't want to get the disc out, load the disc, play the disc, out the disc back. I just want to play the movie once if I haven't seen it and move on unless it is that special. Content for me stands much more of a chance off of a hard drive or streamed than a disc. I could care less if it does support UHD disc playback or not. If it is the same hardware, I hope it gets a patch to allow it. If it isn't possible, I'm sure most people will get over it.

Today, however, our industry sources tell us that Sony Consumer Electronics doesn’t want a UHD-capable PlayStation 4 Pro to undercut sales of its forthcoming set-top 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player, which is expected in early 2017 and the prototype of which was on display at the IFA consumer electronics trade show in Berlin last week (see this link).

So it seems that Sony as a whole is even more divided, and in turn, this is causing brilliant Sony from 2013 to become, the currently clueless Sony of 2016?

However, it’s been noted around the Net in the last day or so that the actual disc structure and drive hardware are essentially the same between regular Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. So it seems very possible that, once Sony Consumer Electronics’ set-top Ultra HD Blu-ray player finally arrives in stores and sells through for a while, you could see Sony Interactive Entertainment surprise people with a firmware update that adds full 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc compatibility to the PlayStation 4 Pro.

Is this legit? I sincerely doubt Sony would incorporate the tech for UHD Blu-ray, and simply block it out. If the Gaming side of Sony is even further from the Sony Consumer Electronics side that dictates UHD, why would they care, when it puts thier market dominance in jeopardy, even a little bit?

Plus, a UHD-less ps4 would encourage people to adopt any other UHD player, not just Sony's alternatives.

This speculation sounds like a bunch of malarkey.

Wait, Sony has yet to release standalone UHD blu-ray players? Huh, for a company pushing 4k tvs, they seem less gung ho about 4k blurays.

Sony Pictures is one of the biggest UHD Blu-Ray producers. Yet Sony seems to be making pretty little effort to get players out there. It makes no sense.

So it seems that Sony as a whole is even more divided, and in turn, this is causing brilliant Sony from 2013 to become, the currently clueless Sony of 2016?

Is this legit? I sincerely doubt Sony would incorporate the tech for UHD Blu-ray, and simply block it out. If the Gaming side of Sony is even further from the Sony Consumer Electronics side that dictates UHD, why would they care, when it puts thier market dominance in jeopardy, even a little bit?

There's this tidbit through, from a a CNET article earlier in the year from talking about Sony 4K Blu-Ray players not releasing until 2017:
Like LG, Sony appears to be employing a "wait and see" attitude on the Blu-ray format as it is already seeing a lot of competition from 4K streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon and YouTube.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-4k-blu-ray-player-might-not-arrive-until-2017/

That quote makes me wonder if Sony will actually cancel their player altogether. They don't seem high on it. Also, I was listening to the PSNation Podcast and they brought up something I never knew. Sony is part of the consortium that created Blu-Ray. However, the are not part of the consortium that created UHD Blu-Ray (4K Blu-Ray), meaning they'd have to pay a license to use the format, whereas with normal Blu-Ray, they don't. I haven't confirmed this myself yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am curious if they can add in 4K blu-ray with a firmware update. 3D blu-ray in the PS3 and HDR in the PS4 were both updates I would not have thought possible.

If they could, I feel like Sony would have aput a statement put that it was coming after launch or just put it in first.

ethomaz

Banned
What I'm saying is that technically any Blu-Ray drive with max 128 Mbps (for 100GB UHD) is capable to play UHD discs because there is no hardware difference except the required read speeds.

PS4 BD drive has 6x read speeds or using the same metric 216 Mbps. So PS4 BD drive can read twice faster than what UHD discs require.

There is no technical impediment to PS4 BD drive read UHD discs.

Any BD drive with over 4x read speeds fits the requirements to read UHD discs.

AP90

So they don't want the PS4 Pro undercutting their soon to be released UHD 4K bluray player? Sounds like a bit of a misstep since Xbox will be able to play that same exact undercutting roll with the 1S. I don't know, maybe I'm not understanding this correctly.

This.

Also, even if physical media is on its way out the door (may be 2yrs or 10 for all we know), there is still a vast number of people who own bluray that would love the upconvert/better image quality from the uhd bluray player. As I believe dvds get an image bump when played in regular bluray players.

Jamex RZ

Banned
What I'm saying is that technically any Blu-Ray drive with max 128 Mbps (for 100GB UHD) is capable to play UHD discs because there is no hardware difference except the required read speeds.

PS4 BD drive has 6x read speeds or using the same metric 216 Mbps. So PS4 BD drive can read twice faster than what UHD discs require.

Are you certain the laser (diameter, strength, wavelength etc) is the same? That is the question.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you certain the laser (diameter, strength, wavelength etc) is the same? That is the question.
Yes, same.

Ask yourself... your old Android phone can run easily the last Android version, why the maker didn't release an upgrade??? Because they want to sell a new phone.

Darklor01

There's this tidbit through, from a a CNET article earlier in the year from talking about Sony 4K Blu-Ray players not releasing until 2017:

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-4k-blu-ray-player-might-not-arrive-until-2017/

That quote makes me wonder if Sony will actually cancel their player altogether. They don't seem high on it. Also, I was listening to the PSNation Podcast and they brought up something I never knew. Sony is part of the consortium that created Blu-Ray. However, the are not part of the consortium that created UHD Blu-Ray (4K Blu-Ray), meaning they'd have to pay a license to use the format, whereas with normal Blu-Ray, they don't. I haven't confirmed this myself yet.

Are you sure about that part about Sony? They are on the board for the consortium known as the BDA, elected because they were also part of the 2002 founding 9 companies which created the consortium along with MIT.

On September 5, 2014, the Blu-ray Disc Association revealed that the future 4K Blu-ray Disc format will support 4K UHD (3840x2160 resolution) video at frame rates up to 60 frames per second

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is the industry consortium that develops and licenses Blu-ray Disc technology and is responsible for establishing format standards and promoting business opportunities for Blu-ray Disc. The BDA is divided into three levels of membership: the Board of Directors, Contributors, and General Members.[1]

The "Blu-ray Disc founder group" was started on May 20, 2002 by MIT and nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung Electronics.[2] In order to enable more companies to participate, it announced in May 2004 that it would form the Blu-ray Disc Association, which was inaugurated on October 4, 2004.

The Blu-ray Disc Founder companies will make up the initial Board of Directors."
The current 18 board members (as of April 2015) are:[4]

Dolby Laboratories
DTS
Hitachi
Intel
LG Electronics
Microsoft
Mitsubishi Electric
Oracle Corporation
Panasonic
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics
Sharp Corporation
Sony
TDK
Technicolor SA
20th Century Fox
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group
Warner Bros. Entertainment

I'm going to put this into my original post. Nice summary!

Are you sure about that part about Sony? They are on the board for the consortium known as the BDA, elected because they were also part of the 2002 founding 9 companies which created the consortium along with MIT.

No, I'm not sure. I was just reiterating what was said on the PSNation Podcast. They said UHD has a different consortium than the BDA.

Edit- A quick look seems to show that BDA is doing UHD. So I'm not sure where PSNation got their information.

onken

This has got to be the biggest non-issue in the gaming scene for a while now - we'll be well into the next hardware cycle before 4K BD has any kind of catalog worth caring about (assuming the whole format still exists...). At this point in time, at best it's a nice-to-have for a fraction of people and at worst just a tick box for console warz.

Cartman86

Banned
I believe in UHD off hard drive media collection than UHD physical media collection. I bought a TON of Blu Ray discs over the years which I recently sold most of at a decent loss. I don't want to get the disc out, load the disc, play the disc, out the disc back. I just want to play the movie once if I haven't seen it and move on unless it is that special. Content for me stands much more of a chance off of a hard drive or streamed than a disc. I could care less if it does support UHD disc playback or not. If it is the same hardware, I hope it gets a patch to allow it. If it isn't possible, I'm sure most people will get over it.

Good luck with that ever happening.

onQ123

I believe this also & I think Sony/PlayStation is playing hardball with the Ultra HD alliance for whatever reason.

And yes Sony will win because they will have millions of consoles in homes that they could flip the switch into UHD Blu-ray players or they can let the format die.

"What you gonna do?"

I believe this also & I think Sony/PlayStation is playing hardball with the Ultra HD alliance for whatever reason.

And yes Sony will win because they will have millions of consoles in homes that they could flip the switch into UHD Blu-ray players or they can let the format die.

"What you gonna do?"

Assuming you are right (and Bill Hunt, too of course), I could see it being where they bring up the fact that Blu-Ray might have won the HD format war because of PS3 including it in every console.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This has got to be the biggest non-issue in the gaming scene for a while now - we'll be well into the next hardware cycle before 4K BD has any kind of catalog worth caring about (assuming the whole format still exists...). At this point in time, at best it's a nice-to-have for a fraction of people and at worst just a tick box for console warz.

This is more true than I care to admit.
It's nice to know it may still be an option for the PS4k, but i'm more worried about Blu-ray UHD surviving.

HDR combined with 4k makes it a worthwhile upgrade, but you have to convince enough people.

Darklor01

wapplew

I got flash back of HD DVD vs Bluray era.
Maybe Sony want UHD bluray format to die like HD DVD. Are Sony and LG working on some different format?

Your skepticism is warranted. From playstation.com:

Q: Does PS4 Pro support Ultra 4K Blu-ray Discs?
No, PS4 Pro’s internal Blu-ray drive does not support the new Ultra 4K Blu-ray Disc format.

It's in Japanese, but Masayasu Ito, who leads the PlayStation hardware team, said in an interview last year that the drive in the launch PS4s can't read Ultra HD Blu-ray media, citing issues with the third layer.

This echoes what Albert Penello said about the optical drive in the launch Xbox One:

Digital Foundry: Is the support of UHD Blu-ray solely a software thing, or does Xbox One S ship with a more modern BD drive?

Albert Penello: Great question. I have seen people online believe that you can do a 'firmware' upgrade to our existing BD drive to support 4K, but that's not true. In addition to DSP firmware updates, the drive in the Xbox One S also includes a new optical pickup to support three-layer UHD Blu-ray format discs. Plus HDMI 2.0 video output with HDCP 2.2 copy protection is also a BD-UHD certification requirement, both of which are included in Xbox One S and weren't implemented on the other Xbox One consoles.

...and what Stacey Spears (who was intimately involved in all aspects of video output on the Xbox One) also said:

The Slim includes a HW HEVC decoder, HDMI 2.0a transmitter with HDCP 2.2 support and a new ROM drive that can read the new 33 GB per layer, and triple layer, UHD BD discs.

The previous drive was a dual layer BD drive, which is what HD BD supports. The triple layer is new to UHD BD.

. . .

Wait, Sony has yet to release standalone UHD blu-ray players? Huh, for a company pushing 4k tvs, they seem less gung ho about 4k blurays.
Sony took forever to get their first standalone Blu-ray player on the market too (although they turned it around faster than this).

I have no idea how much stock to put into this, but the speculation I've seen making the rounds for quite a long while on some of my home theater message boards is that Sony's Blu-ray players use MediaTek SoCs, and MediaTek's UHD BD SoC wasn't scheduled to even go into wide production until the second half of this year. That may be why it's taking as long as it is, although I don't think Sony would've been there with a player on day one (or month three or four) regardless.

Maybe Sony want UHD bluray format to die like HD DVD. Are Sony and LG working on some different format?
Sony is very aggressively releasing Ultra HD Blu-ray software, though. They showed off a prototype UHD BD player at IFA earlier this month, and they'll almost certainly have more to say at their presser at CEDIA tomorrow. I can't imagine competing physical UHD media at this point. That's suicidal.

Then there's this:

On September 5, 2014, the Blu-ray Disc Association revealed that the future 4K Blu-ray Disc format will support 4K UHD (3840x2160 resolution) video at frame rates up to 60 frames per second. The standard will encode videos under the High Efficiency Video Coding standard. 4K Blu-ray Discs will support both high dynamic range by increasing the color depth to 10-bit per color and a greater color gamut by using the Rec. 2020 color space using HEVC. The 4K-Blu-ray specification allows for three disc sizes, each with their own data rate: 50 GB with 82 Mbit/s, 66 GB with 108 Mbit/s, and 100 GB with 128 Mbit/s. 4K Blu-ray Disc technology will be licensed in mid 2015, and 4K Blu-ray Disc players have an expected release date of Christmas 2015. On May 12, 2015, the Blu-ray Disc Association revealed completed specifications and the official Ultra HD Blu-ray logo. Unlike conventional DVDs and Blu-rays, the new 4K format does not have region coding.

On March 1, 2016, the BDA released Ultra HD Blu-ray with mandatory support for HDR10 Media Profile video and optional support for Dolby Vision. The first Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Discs were officially released from four studios on March 1, 2016. These were Sony (six titles), Lionsgate (four titles), Warner Bros. (four titles), and 20th Century Fox (ten titles).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

Sony is part of the BDA.

Robot Pants

A different article with the same conslusion came up in one of the threads following the PlayStation Conference, and I'll say what I said before:

I hope this ends up being the case. If they want to sell their own UHD players for a bit first and hey end up patching the PS4 Pro later, I can live with that. I just really would like to not spend another 400 bucks on a player and honestly another device completely.

So I could wait a bit. But I hope it's possible

As far as having competing products, what difference does it make? Someone looking to buy a standalone UHD player probably has no knowledge or interest about a gaming system that supports UHD discs, so you haven't lost that sale. If anything, you could sell the PS4 as your only UHD player, and then you might get that customer who originally only cared about movies to get invested in gaming and your other services. Until 4k players are cheaper than $150, you'll never get even close to 1080p Bluray sales numbers so limiting your potential customer pool by not supporting it on PS4 seems really stupid. I personally would not have gotten into buying DVDs until much later if I didn't have the functionality in my PS2. Same thing with Blurays in my PS3.

virtualS

Yep.

Your move Sony.

House doesn't have the technical knowledge to comment on these things, guaranteed.

If they can update the HDMI port to 2.0a and get HDR10 working then they can do the whole shebang on every PS4 from launch.

Atomski

Yep.

Your move Sony.

House doesn't have the technical knowledge to comment on these things, guaranteed.

If they can update the HDMI port to 2.0a and get HDR10 working then they can do the whole shebang on every PS4 from launch.

crazies spreading..

crazies spreading..

Yeah. I thought it was clear from the quote in the original post that this only deals with PS4 Pro. Nothing about this speculation from The Digital Bits validates anything that Jeff Rigby said, as the PS4/PS4 Slim are not 4K devices. Yes, they now have HDR support, but not 4K.

So it could be added in an update. Why they're cutting it from launch baffles me, if true. It's not as if physical media sales are on the rise.

Oops was talking about PS4 Pro.

onQ123

Yeah. I thought it was clear from the quote in the original post that this only deals with PS4 Pro. Nothing about this speculation from The Digital Bits validates anything that Jeff Rigby said, as the PS4/PS4 Slim are not 4K devices. Yes, they now have HDR support, but not 4K.

Actually PS4 is a 4K device you can view images in 4K using Playmemories

original

Jamex RZ

Banned
Your skepticism is warranted. From playstation.com:

It's in Japanese, but Masayasu Ito, who leads the PlayStation hardware team, said in an interview last year that the drive in the launch PS4s can't read Ultra HD Blu-ray media, citing issues with the third layer.

This echoes what Albert Penello said about the optical drive in the launch Xbox One:

...and what Stacey Spears (who was intimately involved in all aspects of video output on the Xbox One) also said:

. . .

Sony took forever to get their first standalone Blu-ray player on the market too (although they turned it around faster than this).

I have no idea how much stock to put into this, but the speculation I've seen making the rounds for quite a long while on some of my home theater message boards is that Sony's Blu-ray players use MediaTek SoCs, and MediaTek's UHD BD SoC wasn't scheduled to even go into wide production until the second half of this year. That may be why it's taking as long as it is, although I don't think Sony would've been there with a player on day one (or month three or four) regardless.

Sony is very aggressively releasing Ultra HD Blu-ray software, though. They showed off a prototype UHD BD player at IFA earlier this month, and they'll almost certainly have more to say at their presser at CEDIA tomorrow. I can't imagine competing physical UHD media at this point. That's suicidal.

Well, there it is. Thanks for quoting those articles, I remember reading those but couldn't find them. Case closed, the OT is just blah blah speculation by digital bits, physically is impossible.

Top Bottom