• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Well, they wanted to change the world and in a sense they did just that. No one will be dumb enough to try this shit again, well, at least for a while.

RS4-

Now if only that scumfuck keemstar or whatever his name is wiped off all social media, medium, everything.

rec0ded1

"Ah, yes... I was wondering what would break first...your spirit or your body"

I still don't believe they are sincere in that they were wrong.

They're definitely not getting my sub back, this isn't a case of them realizing their mistake, this is them backing off for now so they can rethink the plan. The sheer fact that they even attempted this means most people who unsubbed will stay unsubbed.

This is what I'm kinda thinking as well about this whole event. The next time they ever think of trying this again, they will just reword the entire thing to make it sound reasonable and approachable but the intention will still be there. As the saying goes, "The Devil is in the details." So yeah, I'm staying unsubbed to those douchecanoes and they brought this upon themselves.

Lol, that chart is such bullshit. It works out to like a 2% decrease.

Nearly 300,000 people unsubscribed in a span of a few days. Yes, thats a small percentage, but its not bullshit. Thats a huge decrease considering they usually gain only 200,000 a month.

FZZ

Banned
Now they should do a React to the fuckery that was this whole situation

To recoup the loss they took

It's a bit misleading but it's not bullshit, a 2% decrease over such a small period of time is huge, especially when you consider that a lot of subs are passive subs, meaning they don't contribute that much to overall views(which is the only thing that matters). The people who unsubbed are active subs(like me) who watch their videos as they come out, so this 2% decrease is kind of a disaster.

Phu

Banned
Once this eventually dies down the Fine Bros. trademark activity should be watched like hawk.

farisr

Indeed if you like at it from a percentage point of view it's a minimal decrease and that chart makes it look way bigger than it actually is due to the scaling, but losing 250k+ engaged users over a few days is a pretty big deal for anybody as evidenced by their 180.

Kraftwerk

6b4.gif

so good

Kibbles

So forced. Would've gotten away with it if it weren't for them meddling kids. Only thing that matters is they dropped it though.

Kazaam

They need to do a lot of damage control after this apology if they want to clear their image. And not only in terms of apology, but I think they need something new content wise as well that can serve as an incentive.

Nearly 300,000 people unsubscribed in a span of a few days. Yes, thats a small percentage, but its not bullshit. Thats a huge decrease considering they usually gain only 200,000 a month.

It's a bit misleading but it's not bullshit, a 2% decrease over such a small period of time is huge, especially when you consider that a lot of subs are passive subs, meaning they don't contribute that much to overall views(which is the only thing that matters). The people who unsubbed are active subs(like me) who watch their videos as they come out, so this 2% decrease is kind of a disaster.

Indeed if you like at it from a percentage point of view it's a minimal decrease and that chart makes it look way bigger than it actually is due to the scaling, but losing 250k+ engaged users over a few days is a pretty big deal for anybody as evidenced by their 180.

Fair enough. I don't know a lot about how YouTube subscriber numbers, so I guess I'm underestimating the impact.

The internet won. The internet will never forget.

As a side note, good on them to do what we wanted and then they took a bit further by rescinding ALL their trademarks.

Kazaam

Still nothing on their Facebook page. Do you think they'll try to keep this as low level as possible?

Keeping the apology low level would be the stupidest thing. They're probably working on something to compliment the text and I'm pretty sure they'll do something like Youtubers react to this whole mess, talking about what is like dealing with fans/subscribers and the reality of internet celeb life.

BkMogul

Seriously, how did they not expect this move to backfire? They went through with filing paperwork, filming this video with straight faces, and no one whispered in their ear that this was guaranteed to be downright terrible? They deserve all this bad press and then some. Smug jerks...

Skux

The internet won. The internet will never forget.

As a side note, good on them to do what we wanted and then they took a bit further by rescinding ALL their trademarks.

Releasing all past Content ID claims is huge, think how many videos that must be.

Still nothing on their Facebook page. Do you think they'll try to keep this as low level as possible?
keeping this low level will just be as harmful as not doing it at all

they should have released this turn around in a video, eat shit from everyone now and just get it over with. they're just going to keep hemorrhaging subs until the message is as wide as possible

Kazaam

There's a reason this is text instead of another video.

Yes, the fact that in the past couple of videos they came off looking completely ridiculous. Especially having their faces in so many parodies these days. My opinion is that they're trying to think what the best way of doing a video apology is. Whatever it is I bet it will be full of cringe.

Surprised they also dropped react world. You don't need to trademark the word React to basically run a licensing program. They would have still found some suckers to license from them.

Well they certainly can't use React World with all the shit it's got on it right now.

Skux

I hope they continue to bleed subscribers.

They still are. It'll take a while for the news to get around.

Then again, people have turned watching the sub counter drop into its own form of entertainment. I wouldn't be surprised if people keep tanking it just for the lulz.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
No it's not. They did it out of self preservation not because it was the right thing to do.

Yeah, it got so bad that they had no choice but to do it. The only surprising thing about this is how long it took them to backout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom